Nikon D810

If there are I doubt if they'll be mint.

you never know - a lot of users have second bodies and put less than 6k to 10k shots on in a couple of years

e.g you have bought one from panamoz for £1,400 ....... it's 18 months old ........ not used it much ....... out of warranty and a grey import ........... just over £1k may be the right price

But I'd want an "E" for £1,200

Someone should try various cameras to see what sort of trade in value they are getting. I would bet the £1000 would be for a very good condition D800 or an almost new D610.Older bodies like a D700 will likely be around the £700 mark with D7100 around £400-£500 and a D300s around the same.

Someone should try various cameras to see what sort of trade in value they are getting. I would bet the £1000 would be for a very good condition D800 or an almost new D610.Older bodies like a D700 will likely be around the £700 mark with D7100 around £400-£500 and a D300s around the same.

but trade in is never reflective of retail value

It's because Nikon continue to skip the middle ground. There is still no d300 replacement, and tbh I would have liked to have seen a 16-24mp d700 replacement. Between 1-2k you pretty much only have the d610 but I prefer the 300/700 body style.

I'm betting you'll never see a d300 replacement. I'm sure Niko n have now filled that part of the line with the D600/D610. The d700 was a brilliant camera, but its feature set led to it competing directly with the D3. Again I'll bet Nikon have presented a geniune choice of features between the D4s and the d810 to avoid that happening

Jessops don't sell used cameras - which begs the question, what will they do with the trade-ins?

Jessops don't sell used cameras - which begs the question, what will they do with the trade-ins?

At £2.700 the D810 is creeping up - Jessops will make a good profit on that and will be able to off load any used stuff

Others will probably now follow ……… but what does everyone think the initial demand for the D810 would be

We all know that glass is far more important ………… and i have come to the conclusion that maybe it is horses for course - I have a D7100, D300 and this year a D700 - I use the D700 for very different purposes to the D7100 …… but maybe the nikon d8xx is turning out to a master of all ……… it is a really impressive piece of kit, as the D800 and D800E are.

Initial demand, who knows. I'm watching the price and monitoring the performance. Jan is looking good for me for the new year promotion. I'm keeping my powder dry until then.

Last edited:
It's because Nikon continue to skip the middle ground. There is still no d300 replacement, and tbh I would have liked to have seen a 16-24mp d700 replacement. Between 1-2k you pretty much only have the d610 but I prefer the 300/700 body style.

Why would they release a 16-24mp "D700 replacement" camera? This IS a D700 replacement camera. Why still this objection to the higher resolution? The D810 removes all the initial objections - which were shooting speed, and small buffer. You can always make images smaller, but you can't add what's not there. It's time we put the D700 to rest, and moved on. As for the D300 replacement.. just get over it. It's hugely unlikely there will ever be a "pro" DX body from Nikon ever again. What would be the point?

Why would they release a 16-24mp "D700 replacement" camera? This IS a D700 replacement camera. Why still this objection to the higher resolution? The D810 removes all the initial objections - which were shooting speed, and small buffer. You can always make images smaller, but you can't add what's not there. It's time we put the D700 to rest, and moved on. As for the D300 replacement.. just get over it. It's hugely unlikely there will ever be a "pro" DX body from Nikon ever again. What would be the point?

Completely agree - this is the D700 replacement and that Nikon won't be making a D300 replacement. They haven't released any new pro DX glass to suggest they will and if you want a DX pro Nikon, nikon will want you to use the DX mode in the D810.

Why would they release a 16-24mp "D700 replacement" camera? This IS a D700 replacement camera. Why still this objection to the higher resolution? The D810 removes all the initial objections - which were shooting speed, and small buffer. You can always make images smaller, but you can't add what's not there. It's time we put the D700 to rest, and moved on.

The D800/E was always a replacement for the D700 but irked those who were waiting for a replacement by having too many pixels, (for some) and a lower frame rate. I don't see how the D810 fixes those problems people will have had with the D800/E. :thinking: Yes, there is sRAW, and you get 7fps, but it is also less pixels than you may have got with the D700, and it is less flexible than a native RAW file.

I think the D600 was an attempt to satisfy some of those waiting for a D700 replacement, and also to bring in a entry level FX camera for Nikon, but they gutted too many features to appeal to too many D700 users.

As for the D300 replacement.. just get over it. It's hugely unlikely there will ever be a "pro" DX body from Nikon ever again. What would be the point?

Please forgive people for coming on a Photography discussion site and talking about what features they'd like in a camera. Especially when it may be an update to what they may already own. :rolleyes: The point for a replacement to the D300S is that there are people who want a high frame rate camera, with top of the range AF, more pixels than they may have, a rugged body, but don't want to go full frame, (for various reasons) and definitely don't want to pay £5k to get all of that bar the DX sensor.

I too do not think that there will be a replacement for the D300S, :( but again, if people want to discuss why they would want one, what's the problem? :thinking: Yes it may be a repetitive subject (there are many here) but it shows that there are still people who want a camera with certain features, and a camera which they believe is not currently on the market.

Hopefully the D7*** series will eventually be good enough 'for me' to consider replacing my D300S.

I've no idea what there is to whinge about. It's faster, has a massive buffer, and a shed load of really nice features above and beyond the already fabulous D800 (including the AF... that was already really nice), some seriously nice video features that challenge the 5D MkIII.
There's just no pleasing some people :)

It's not about pleasing current users. We're simply looking at something none of us have even used, and pondering on it. Let me check back and see did I say I'd say no to one .... nope :p

It's not about pleasing current users. We're simply looking at something none of us have even used, and pondering on it. Let me check back and see did I say I'd say no to one .... nope :p

Let me check back and see if I was referring to you... Nope :)

Let me think for a second if I care ... nope :p

Ok ... think we burned that out now!

The guy before you was, so took it that you were following on. Just covering meself ;)

Last edited:
Nah.. I said I don't know what there is to whinge about. It wasn't a comment on those who whinge... just that I genuinely can't see cause for whinging.

The more I type "whinge" the more it looks like it's spelt wrong. Must be one of those weird words... like Poodle. If you say it enough, over and over, it's the most ridiculous word ever.

Nikon need to have a pick and mix process so that we can go in and ask for say a magnesium body, high Fps, high iso, great Af, buit in flash, high mega pixels etc etc and get a price, if its to expensive then just lower your expectations and order lower spec parts then you only have yourself to blame if you dont get the spec you want- Easy.then maybe all these Nikon togs can stop moaning. Lol.

Nikon won't be making a D300 replacement.

I'm willing to bet they will.

The rumours surrounding the 7DII are getting more intense and reliable, for that reason alone Nikon must have an equivalent up their sleeve.

On the subject of the D810, I plan on running my D800E into the ground before I consider a replacement. Plenty of life in that old dog yet.

Did anyone watch the TV programme a week or so that discussed the way 'business' keeps bringing out new things with little or no benefits over the last version and how we the gullible consumer keep wanting to pay mega-bucks for the 'little or no benefits' ... it was an interesting and thought-provoking programme.

Did anyone watch the TV programme a week or so that discussed the way 'business' keeps bringing out new things with little or no benefits over the last version and how we the gullible consumer keep wanting to pay mega-bucks for the 'little or no benefits' ... it was an interesting and thought-provoking programme.
Been going on for a long time, but probably much more prevalent now. Fashion industry is entirely dependent on it.

The D800/E was always a replacement for the D700 but irked those who were waiting for a replacement by having too many pixels, (for some) and a lower frame rate. I don't see how the D810 fixes those problems people will have had with the D800/E. :thinking: Yes, there is sRAW, and you get 7fps, but it is also less pixels than you may have got with the D700, and it is less flexible than a native RAW file.

I think the D600 was an attempt to satisfy some of those waiting for a D700 replacement, and also to bring in a entry level FX camera for Nikon, but they gutted too many features to appeal to too many D700 users.

Please forgive people for coming on a Photography discussion site and talking about what features they'd like in a camera. Especially when it may be an update to what they may already own. :rolleyes: The point for a replacement to the D300S is that there are people who want a high frame rate camera, with top of the range AF, more pixels than they may have, a rugged body, but don't want to go full frame, (for various reasons) and definitely don't want to pay £5k to get all of that bar the DX sensor.

I too do not think that there will be a replacement for the D300S, :( but again, if people want to discuss why they would want one, what's the problem? :thinking: Yes it may be a repetitive subject (there are many here) but it shows that there are still people who want a camera with certain features, and a camera which they believe is not currently on the market.

Hopefully the D7*** series will eventually be good enough 'for me' to consider replacing my D300S.

The D810 is that camera. Lots of Pro Glass in the Nikkor range, fully weather sealed, plenty crop ability if you don't need the full 36mp file. Why wouldn't you want a full frame camera anyway? It can run in crop mode anyway at a higher res than the D300S had and have lovely 36mp FX images when you don't need the tightness. Or if you want high frame rate, but not the resolution put your hand in your pockets and buy a D4.

Storage is cheap anyway. I don't see what is not to like about this update. Bite the bullet and get one or snap up a used D800.

4TB drives are now just a little over £100. I genuinely don't get this objection to 50MB RAW files. Even when the image is finished, and saved as a 16bit, full res TIFF... a 4TB drive will hold just over 20,000 files of that size. You wouldn't make final 16bit TIFFs of everything you shoot either.

4TB drives are now just a little over £100. I genuinely don't get this objection to 50MB RAW files. Even when the image is finished, and saved as a 16bit, full res TIFF... a 4TB drive will hold just over 20,000 files of that size. You wouldn't make final 16bit TIFFs of everything you shoot either.

Well, if u live out in the sticks like me (1.5mb bb at best, generally around 1mb) larger files rule out cloud storage. Also, for many it would need a new computer as well.

Looks to me like a very handy upgrade of what is an already excellent camera (y)

Question for Nikonites that I can't find a specific answer to: will the D810 shoot 15mp Raws in DX format at 7fps with battery grip? If so, then it will truly be two cameras in one.
I wish Canons did this...

Well, if u live out in the sticks like me (1.5mb bb at best, generally around 1mb) larger files rule out cloud storage. Also, for many it would need a new computer as well.

My wife's 7 year old PC with only 8GB of RAM copes admirably with D800 RAW files, and the 200MB 16bit TIFFs they translate to. I don't buy the argument that you will need a new computer either.

Which channel please?

Someone on FM forums had hands on with one. The main thing was in regards to live view. Seems its better for zooming and general view compaired to the d800 but just as bad for noise in lowlight if not worse he said.

Someone on FM forums had hands on with one. The main thing was in regards to live view. Seems its better for zooming and general view compaired to the d800 but just as bad for noise in lowlight if not worse he said.

Any links ?

I still want to know why all the Nikon France sample images were mysteriously disappeared.

Has anyone ever liked the sample images a manufacturer has released? They are usually universally panned. We know the D810 is going to be an excellent camera and with the incremental improvements it's good to see Nikon listening and trying to improve on the D800/E. I wouldn't buy the D810 but then again it isn't really aimed at D800/E users.

Back