Name
Graham Kelly
Edit My Images
No
With the new Nikon D810 replacement rumoured to be announced for the end of July - what would people like to see in it.

I personally think the 810 will be hard to improve dramatically. As a landscape photographer the D5 autofocus and tilt screen offer very little reason to make the upgrade. I will be looking for even more low light / iso capability and improvements in dynamic range.

Thanks

Graham

The most important improvement, IMO, would be to
see the D810's capabilities in a single digit body that
would hold the expected construction features.

A bigger buffer and faster write to accommodate the
rather large files I would not call excessive.

With the new Nikon D810 replacement rumoured to be announced for the end of July - what would people like to see in it.

I personally think the 810 will be hard to improve dramatically. As a landscape photographer the D5 autofocus and tilt screen offer very little reason to make the upgrade. I will be looking for even more low light / iso capability and improvements in dynamic range.

Thanks

Graham

Pretty much along these line. I keep looking longingly at all the stuff that the Pentax K1 has packed into it. Those features with Nikon lens fitting would be fantastic. I assume there are technical reasons why in camera stabalisation might not be possible (and therefore all the cool other things that come with it) so I'd settle for a decent flip screen ideally with some touchscreen functionality. I know people will scoff at this but for landscape stuff I find that sort of thing incredibly useful.

Never found much wrong with the D810 AF system but wouldn't say no to a better one.

Can't say I'm bothered about much else though illuminated buttons would be nice.

That being said I'd be equally pleased with a new D750 that had an eye piece cover built in.

Wider spread of AF points, as I think the most recent FX AF modules already have -i.e., give it the D5 module or something similar.

Higher fps - it would be great if they could make a camera as versatile as the D700, though I suspect they'll just hike the pixel count instead.

Fantasy request - a fiendishly clever viewfinder that can pipe the live view to the eyepiece, like an SLR version of Fuji's hybrid finder.

Last edited:
42-46mp sensor with the ability to use a 24mp mode that has 14bit RAW lossless compressed. Wider AF spread, tilt screen, minimum 6.5fps in FX mode and a min 30 shot buffer. This would then be my perfect body, assuming it has the D810's DR and noise handling of the D750 or better ;)

Already can guess. Sony 40 something mp sensor. Better processor and buffer. Better video. Better rear lcd, change buttons around a little, boost RRP price. AF better but not sure if it will be same as D5 or similar version of it.

Already can guess. Sony 40 something mp sensor. Better processor and buffer. Better video. Better rear lcd, change buttons around a little, boost RRP price. AF better but not sure if it will be same as D5 or similar version of it.
I think the AF system will be a tweaked version of the D5. But yes, you're right it's pretty predictable what spec it will have, in which case it will most likely be the perfect camera for me, sensor scores depending.

I think it is mostly going to be a marketing gimmick...
There have been no major technical advances that I am aware of that make any significant improvements/gains possible. I'm expecting it to be a FF D7200 with a couple of tweaks (flippy screen)...

I think it is mostly going to be a marketing gimmick...
There have been no major technical advances that I am aware of that make any significant improvements/gains possible. I'm expecting it to be a FF D7200 with a couple of tweaks (flippy screen)...
I don't think it will be a marketing gimmick, but just an incremental upgrade like most cameras these days. I don't think it will be anything to tempt D810 owners, and maybe not even D800e owners, but it could certainly persuade 'newbies' away from the 5D4 and also could make a good upgrade for D610/D750 owners etc. As I've mentioned before, it could have everything I've been wanting. Trouble is it will be well outside of my budget :facepalm: :LOL:

42-46mp sensor with the ability to use a 24mp mode that has 14bit RAW lossless compressed. Wider AF spread, tilt screen, minimum 6.5fps in FX mode and a min 30 shot buffer. This would then be my perfect body, assuming it has the D810's DR and noise handling of the D750 or better ;)

You not asking for too much are you Toby LOL

You not asking for too much are you Toby LOL
I don't think it is TBH Andy. It's pretty much guaranteed to be at least 42mp, the D810 has lower res modes so no reason to think the D820 won't (only thing is it's only 12bit on the D810), wider AF spread is pretty much guaranteed as it's using the D5's AF system (or at least a version of it). Tilt screen is highly probably according to the latest resources. The D810 has 5fps in FX mode, and you'd expect the D820 to be better so 6.5fps is not unreasonable. It might even be 8fps in DX mode, which will still be around 20-24mp. The D810 has a 35 shot buffer in 14 bit RAW, so 30 on the D820 is the least it should be. TBH I'd expect more as it's likely to be using the XQD cards, it might even be over 50. Sensor performance has to be at least on par with the D810 otherwise it will come under a lot of stick, I'd expect it to be marginally better in terms of noise. If not, it will be after downsampling.

So I think my wish list is more expectation than pipe dream (y)

Last edited:
This could be one of the most scrutinised Nikon releases ever. Nikon seem to be up against it lately and if this is just a lazy, incremental boring update it could be very hard to keep people on side.

For their sake I really hope it's something that excite photographers and Nikon fans alike.

This could be one of the most scrutinised Nikon releases ever. Nikon seem to be up against it lately and if this is just a lazy, incremental boring update it could be very hard to keep people on side.

For their sake I really hope it's something that excite photographers and Nikon fans alike.

I would say the new Nikon D820/850 will most likely be getting the same sensor as the A7RII, the incredible 42.2mp BSI sensor.

It will undoubtedly come under fire just as the 5D4 did as it won't have anything new or innovative. However, that is because we have been spoilt and we expect far too much these days. All it will be is a general all round improvement on the D810. Some will dismiss is as it won't offer enough over their current model, some will just have to have the latest greatest camera, and people like me will want to upgrade as it's a camera that should genuinely tick all of the boxes. I love my D750 but I've been saying for a while now to make it perfect (for me) would be a higher res sensor for the times I need to crop heavy, wider AF spread, and pro build. The only question is whether it will be worth the extra £2k+ that it would cost to trade my D750 in, and the answer unfortunately would be no.

I wonder if it will have more video capabilities? I think I've used the video on my D810 once, just to see what it looked like, so it's not a feature set I'm interested in, but this 4K thing seems to be the way forward.
Other than a flippy screen and wifi, I can't think of anything else I'd want on a successor. Truth be told, I wouldn't be buying one anyway, my D810/D4 combo will last me the next 7-10 years so I'm looking at the successors successor at the very least!!!

Back