Nikon d850 "in development"

I don't know how they reduce the file size though as they can't reduce the resolution of the sensor, and it's not through compression as the small file sizes are still lossless/uncompressed I believe. I wonder if they jsut take data from every other pixel?

perhaps lossless compression?

Last edited:
perhaps lossless compression?
Nope, the small files are uncompressed. Having looked at it though, 12 bit lossless compressed large files are 31.9mb and small 12 bit files are 27.9mb albeit uncompressed. Makes me wonder if you'd ever use the small files rather than lossless compressed? 14bit large lossless compressed are 40.7mb though, and uncompressed 73.2mb, so imagine what the D850 uncompressed 14bit RAW size will be like :eek: TBH I don't have the option of uncompressed files with the D750, only lossless compressed and I've always thought they're more than good enough so I'm not sure I could see a reason to use uncompressed?

I agree lossless compressed is the best of both worlds solution. I see no reason why someone would need uncompressed version when it won't offer any more quality vs. lossless compression.

I agree lossless compressed is the best of both worlds solution. I see no reason why someone would need uncompressed version when it won't offer any more quality vs. lossless compression.
Better to have more options than less. Some people just don't trust the concept of compressed, whether it says lossless or not.

I've always used lossless compressed in my Nikons.

Nope, the small files are uncompressed. Having looked at it though, 12 bit lossless compressed large files are 31.9mb and small 12 bit files are 27.9mb albeit uncompressed. Makes me wonder if you'd ever use the small files rather than lossless compressed? 14bit large lossless compressed are 40.7mb though, and uncompressed 73.2mb, so imagine what the D850 uncompressed 14bit RAW size will be like :eek: TBH I don't have the option of uncompressed files with the D750, only lossless compressed and I've always thought they're more than good enough so I'm not sure I could see a reason to use uncompressed?
and Minnnt is thinking of selling his DF,.What and miss all this.:agree:

Some people just don't trust the concept of compressed, whether it says lossless or not.
Nikon muddied the water in the D70 era with marketing speak by calling their lossy compressed files 'visually lossless', which is like calling an mp3 'audibly lossless'. I'm not sure everyone realises the current lossless compressed files really are lossless (like a zip file, not a jpeg).

Wouldn't it be better if Nikon just improved quality control, reduced the number of recalls and make something that everyone wants - mirrorless that will work with existing lenses rather than what seem like pointless iterations

Wouldn't it be better if Nikon just improved quality control, reduced the number of recalls and make something that everyone wants - mirrorless that will work with existing lenses rather than what seem like pointless iterations
Not everyone want mirrorless, and unfortunately we're now in a world where all tech just seems to be minor improvements over the existing model as we seem to be reaching the limit of what current tech can give us, eg cameras, mobile phones, TVs etc etc. Apart from iPhones and Galaxies I don't think manufacturers particularly expect customers to buy every single incarnation, but it is important for them to provide the best possible option for new customers and/or those that do decide they need an upgrade. If they didn't improve bring something new out we'd all complain that Nikon are falling behind whilst Canon and Sony bring out new improved cameras. It seems that they're damned if they do, damned if they don't tbh. It''s been 3 years since the D810, in the tech world that's an eternity.

They do need to improve QC though.

I really hope it indeed has a hybrid optical / electrical viewfinder. Best of both worlds....

Last edited:
To be honest Nikon have been having issues for years.. D600 was a right farce.... replaced by the D610 which was really a fix for the D600 unofficially, if I had been a D600 owner at the time I would have been very angry!
Plenty of other recalls/issues have happened.... the third D750 recall is a slap in the face in terms of trust/confidence in the body imo, I personally wouldn't want a new or secondhand D750 if I was in the market, just doesn't give me confidence.... Yes Nikon may offer life-time warranty but what use is that if it fails during a shoot!! The D760 will fix the issue no doubt but perhaps create other issues.
There isn't a third D750 recall, it was an update of the second recall (possible shutter shading). The two recalls have been shutter shading and flare from bright light. I'm not going to defend nikon for their QC as the second recall should never have been extended to more cameras because they should have fixed the manufacturing process so that it didn't happen to newly manufactured D750s after the issue was found and being resolved by the recall. It's note interesting to note there was a recall for the D810 as well as the D750 and D600 (that's probably too many recent cameras).

http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/service-and-support/service-advisories.tag

The D750 is likely to have the same failure rate in a shoot as other cameras. Any camera can fail during a shoot hence why pros carry two cameras. It would be interesting to see have many D750 users have actually encountered the recall problems or had them fail on them. I for one haven't and honestly dont see a need to send it in any time soon (I need to find a 4 week window I'm not using the camera-it's been over a year since it came up on the recall but if it's not broken why fix it).

To be fair to nikon they have been quite good with the recalls, I seem to remember if D600 went in so many times for the oil issue they replaced it with a new D610, and some d750s have just been replaced if there are further problems after recall.

I don't see a problem currently buying the D750 new or used, it's a great camera and performs very well. Apart from the recalls the D750 has probably been quite a success for Nikon as it's tempted quite a few users to full frame because prices have been £1K-£1.5K, just look at the thread to see how popular it's been. For the price they can be picked up for (one on the classifieds went for £900 the other day) they are honestly a bargain for the price. I honestly don't worry about the recalls as I haven't experienced the problems in real world shooting. Any way if people don't want to buy them anymore I look forward to their prices dropping as I would buy a second a D750 in a heart beat especially if they were £600-800!

Last edited:
Nikon have boldly said they will 'exceed expectations'. Well what I am expecting right now is more of the same. More MP. More buffer. Better ISO.

So to exceed them you will need to pull something special out of the bag. Not just more of the same.

RIght now it seems the only company really innovating is Sony.

Let's hope the D810 isnt going to be known as the last Nikon camera without an issue...
It isn't going to be known as the last Nikon camera without an issue, because it had a recall in 2015. [Link]

I agree with that as needing recalls for the D600, D810 and D750 isn't a good track record.
And the D800 / D800E - it doesn't show up on the "official" list of service advisories for some reason, but they had various issues which they fixed at no cost even when cameras were out of warranty. These included a focus alignment problem, a viewfinder alignment problem, a green tint on the LCD, and oil spots on the sensor. Plus they had a weird "free maintenance service initiative" which looked suspiciously like a recall for an undisclosed problem.

and make something that everyone wants - mirrorless that will work with existing lenses rather than what seem like pointless iterations
If everyone wanted mirrorless, they would be outselling DSLRs, and they are not. :rolleyes: Not yet anyway. ;)

Nikon are lagging behind with regards to mirrorless, at least above a 1" sensor. I doubt a D850 is a line they would take the Crop/FF mirrorless gamble with. And why would they, when not everyone wants that! ;) :LOL:

Nikon have boldly said they will 'exceed expectations'. Well what I am expecting right now is more of the same. More MP. More buffer. Better ISO.

So to exceed them you will need to pull something special out of the bag. Not just more of the same.

RIght now it seems the only company really innovating is Sony.

Well the Hybrid EVF/Opticla would be a massive step, best of both worlds.

I think this is going to be a proper upgrade to the D810, unlike the joke Canon made with the 5D4.

Nikon did indeed make some bold statements including commercial sports, they must feels confident in all departments. Lets see what the final specs are but I think this will good one!

It isn't going to be known as the last Nikon camera without an issue, because it had a recall in 2015. [Link]
Earlier I couldntremember the d810 recall until I found it on the recall list. Now you have mentioned the d800 too does that mean the last Nikon FF that wasn't a flagship D3/4/5 that didnt have issues was the D700?

Earlier I couldntremember the d810 recall until I found it on the recall list. Now you have mentioned the d800 too does that mean the last Nikon FF that wasn't a flagship D3/4/5 that didnt have issues was the D700?

D610 or DF maybe?

Latest press photo leaks show illuminated buttons. There is also talk of it having a hybrid EVF/Optical viewfinder.
Smart move by Nikon I think :)

Hmmm, the hybrid viewfinder worries me somewhat as I can't yet see it being perfected. If it's purely the ability to switch between the two then I can see the EVF being substandard as we all know how bad Nikon's live view AF is. If it's an OVF with digital overlay this may be better but it needs to be perfectly implemented to avoid frustration, but what's the likelihood that the gen 1 will be? IF they do implement it I hope it's an option that you can turn off do you can still use the traditional OVF that we're all used to.

Well the Hybrid EVF/Opticla would be a massive step, best of both worlds.

I think this is going to be a proper upgrade to the D810, unlike the joke Canon made with the 5D4.

Nikon did indeed make some bold statements including commercial sports, they must feels confident in all departments. Lets see what the final specs are but I think this will good one!

It would be nice to see a step forward like a hybrid EVF but unfortunately it's too little too late for me. I've made the switch to Sony.

Both Nikon and Canon need to sort their acts out and realise that mirrorless is here to stay and whilst they are both busy inching forwards with very minor incremental upgrades, Sony are whittling away at their user base. I mean so far illuminated buttons.....articulating screen? All welcome additions for sure but hardly features that will have D800/D810 owners rushing out and slapping their credit card on the shop counter.

It would be nice to see a step forward like a hybrid EVF but unfortunately it's too little too late for me. I've made the switch to Sony.

Both Nikon and Canon need to sort their acts out and realise that mirrorless is here to stay and whilst they are both busy inching forwards with very minor incremental upgrades, Sony are whittling away at their user base. I mean so far illuminated buttons.....articulating screen? All welcome additions for sure but hardly features that will have D800/D810 owners rushing out and slapping their credit card on the shop counter.

If I were a betting man, I would bet that this D850, unless Nikon mess something up, (possible) and I by that I mean there is a Design or QC problem, and has pretty much the specs listed so far, it will sell more than the Sony Alpha 7R II. It will never be possible to prove of course, but I believe there are more people wanting this camera than the 'innovative' Sony hi res mirrorless camera.

Maybe ... though that "free maintenance service initiative" which I mentioned was also extended to D700 and D7100 models. But it appears to have been in the USA only. Make of that what you will. Here is Thom Hogan's analysis. His conclusion: "It makes no sense to me as a 'marketing campaign'."

Come on guys Nikon did a great job last time they blended new technology with old :eek:

http://mir.SPAM/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf3ver2/f3afbasic/index.htm

Are there mirrorless that are 200,000 or 400,000 shutter life expectancy though as is expected in this price range ? I really don't know because I don't know of any advertised as such myself but there may well be.

Are there mirrorless that are 200,000 or 400,000 shutter life expectancy though as is expected in this price range ? I really don't know because I don't know of any advertised as such myself but there may well be.
The Sony A7RII is rated to 200,000 or 500,000 shutter life expectancy, the Sony A9 is rated to 500,000 but most will be using the silent shutter, so not many moving parts including the shutter. :)

Reactions: GTG
The Sony A7RII is rated to 200,000 or 500,000 shutter life expectancy, the Sony A9 is rated to 500,000 but most will be using the silent shutter, so not many moving parts including the shutter. :)

Christ, I hope they can bring that to all mirrorless models.

I don't like silent shutters but would using EFCS also prolong shutter life? I do hope that Nikon implement EFCS properly rather than just in mirror lock up.

I don't like silent shutters but would using EFCS also prolong shutter life? I do hope that Nikon implement EFCS properly rather than just in mirror lock up.

It depends how it is implemented and how the photographer chooses to use it (given the option), but in theory yes it would.

You can turn on the shutter sound and still use the full electronic shutter.... the best of both worlds without the shock :D

You can turn on the shutter sound and still use the full electronic shutter.... the best of both worlds without the shock :D
Didn't know about the sound, but there's still the risk of rolling shutter until global shutters enter the mass market.

If I were a betting man, I would bet that this D850, unless Nikon mess something up, (possible) and I by that I mean there is a Design or QC problem, and has pretty much the specs listed so far, it will sell more than the Sony Alpha 7R II. It will never be possible to prove of course, but I believe there are more people wanting this camera than the 'innovative' Sony hi res mirrorless camera.

Maybe any half decent Canon or Nikon will sell more than any Sony because these companies have a huge number of existing users with existing lenses and massive dominance in that market. Even a camera that was objectively half as good as a Sony would sell in massive numbers to these people but for how long? The demographic is aging and shrinking and being nibbled at by the competition so simply not messing it up may not be enough. I'd have thought they'll have to look to the aging/shrinking demographic at some point and make the cameras smaller and lighter whilst also incorporating things that middle aged plus men don't care about but the next upcoming generation will such as the various goodies you get with mirrorless and better connectivity. All the bells and whistles. And they're going to have to be competitive bells and whistles.

Didn't know about the sound, but there's still the risk of rolling shutter until global shutters enter the mass market.
I've never been bothered about rolling shutter but the issue of banding under some lighting can be shot ruining.

The best option is to have a system that looks for flicker and automatically selects the most appropriate shutter, electronic or mechanical.

I've never been bothered about rolling shutter but the issue of banding under some lighting can be shot ruining.

The best option is to have a system that looks for flicker and automatically selects the most appropriate shutter, electronic or mechanical.

You can get banding with the DSLR equivalents too, just one of the downsides of certain lighting sources sometimes.
In reality Is it shot ruining? That depends on the end user, for example if you shoot at 20fps not all the images will have the banding, can you find a keeper out of the 20 photos? :)

Yeah it has a electronic shutter sound which you can activate, the risks are minimal, guess its down to the individual user if its worth it or not.

You could say risk of a Nikon D750 failing mid-shoot is a bigger issue than rolling-shutter which may never crop up.
Yes Nikon might be offering free shutter replacements to keep owners happy but that won't help if your shutter failed during a shoot.

You can get banding with the DSLR equivalents too, just one of the downsides of certain lighting sources sometimes.
In reality Is it shot ruining? That depends on the end user, for example if you shoot at 20fps not all the images will have the banding, can you find a keeper out of the 20 photos? :)

I don't have a camera that can shoot at 20 :D

I've only been caught a few times by banding and really I've only ever lost one picture that mattered to me through it but that made me aware and I now use the mechanical shutter if I think it could be a problem. I haven't managed to repair a picture with banding in it, I've tried and I can't, maybe someone with better skills could do it.

Obviously my A7 doesn't have an electronic shutter :D so I'm talking about MFT but I'd imagine it's just the same with other cameras with electronic shutters unless the manufacturer fits something clever to alleviate the problem.

Back