Nikon D850 - Owners Thread

Looks like oof overhead lines to me. Is it repeating on other shots? Do you recall any overhead lines between you and the structure being demolished?

That was the first thing I thought of too. It's easy not to notice them when looking through a viewfinder - especially with a longer lens. Maybe telephone lines if not power lines.

Looks like oof overhead lines to me. Is it repeating on other shots? Do you recall any overhead lines between you and the structure being demolished?
That was the first thing I thought of too. It's easy not to notice them when looking through a viewfinder - especially with a longer lens. Maybe telephone lines if not power lines.
thats a good shout it was a power station getting demolished all pics where the same and checked the camera and lens when i got home and pics where good when a tested it out the back garden thanks for the reply’s thought i had done something wrong

Reactions: Sky
So I have one of these and not yet posted here. I am honestly gobsmacked by how good it is - the dynamic range at base ISO is the same as my 645z and the resolution isn't a million real world miles off either. F mount wide options drove me to the 645z and I guess the only things that would hold up might be the 20F1.8 or some of the F1.4/F1.8 primes or the latest greatest gold ring ED type zooms and Sigma ART stuff.

I took mine to the Pyrenee's and this was it's first actual time on a tripod. I took a few shots to check for sensor dirt hence the first shot is DSC0024 in the sequence. These were all taken with the 70-200 F2.8 FL ED - a pretty decent zoom.

_DSC0024_DxO by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC0069_DxO by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC0114_DxO by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Value for money - cannot fault the thing. Not as well made as the 645z - the flippy screen feels cheap, the buttons don't press with the same solidity, not sure the weather sealing is as good but as a compact camera to go hiking with it's very good indeed and I think I'll buy a 24-70 F2.8 VR to go with as a travel camera.

Last edited:
Value for money - cannot fault the thing. Not as well made as the 645z - the flippy screen feels cheap, the buttons don't press with the same solidity, not sure the weather sealing is as good but as a compact camera to go hiking with it's very good indeed and I think I'll buy a 24-70 F2.8 VR to go with as a travel camera.

I know the 645z is a bit of a beast but I'm not sure I have ever heard anyone refer to the D850 as a compact camera before :LOL:

I know the 645z is a bit of a beast but I'm not sure I have ever heard anyone refer to the D850 as a compact camera before :LOL:

It's all relative - the 645z has been my main to go camera for a year now. You soon get used to it and accept it as your camera - although people come up and ask you about it usually like "is that a Hasselblad".

I've even gone hiking 2500ft gain elevation walks several days in a row with the 645z and been fine. It just seem's normal and the D850 seems, in build quality, and size, like a compact travel camera. However in image output it's a different story - I've got what 2k images off a D850 and probably a similar amount in 645z files - there really isn't anything in it DR wise and even pixel peeping at 100% not a lot in it - 645z is 8256x6192 px -D850 is 8256 x5555 px so if you crop 2:1, 16:9 on both you get a file with exactly the same pixels. If you want a 1:1 or 5:4 or 7:5 or 4:3 the logic swings in the 645z's favour - but there's not a huge amount in it. Colour depth, shadow detail - they're neck and neck tbh and that surprised me. I had a D810 before and that was an amazing little camera and produced lovely images - but the 645z blew me away with how clean the files were and the D850 went and done the same. Anyone coming from a D800 or D810 is going to get a really nice suprise with a D850.

But the D850 is a compact travel camera - you can take hand held shots with a D850 and carry it with a lens attached as carry on for a flight - that makes it a compact travel camera by my logic :D Try hand holding a 645z - and your arms, wrist hurt after a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sky
When I'm using my Pentax K-1 people usually come up and say they didn't know Pentax still made cameras :rolleyes:

I'd have gladly bought a K1 if they had put that 45mp chip in there, or better still the 61mp from the A7Riv. The latter would have been a brutal match against the 645z. I happen to think of all the camera's I've had Pentax, closely followed by Nikon have been the most logically designed and most intuitive to use. Didn't rate the Canon's as much tbh and the Sony's have all the tech - but they seem too small and hard to use with cold hands.

I read, with worry, the Pentax release re "workshop manufacturing methods". I guess ILC system sales are down, and DSLR's as a slice of that action are dwindling - so Ricoh are taking drastic action to save the company. There's some worry ahead there - K1 replacement is overdue - and rebadging Tamron lenses 15-30 and 24-70 which are 35mm format staples won't fly forever.

Pentax will make camera's - but expect the make to go full Leica on us - DSLR's will become niche and make will go fully niche once the prices start to rocket as Ricoh try to squeeze profits from a shrinking style in a shrinking sector.

I'd have gladly bought a K1 if they had put that 45mp chip in there, or better still the 61mp from the A7Riv. The latter would have been a brutal match against the 645z. I happen to think of all the camera's I've had Pentax, closely followed by Nikon have been the most logically designed and most intuitive to use. Didn't rate the Canon's as much tbh and the Sony's have all the tech - but they seem too small and hard to use with cold hands.

I read, with worry, the Pentax release re "workshop manufacturing methods". I guess ILC system sales are down, and DSLR's as a slice of that action are dwindling - so Ricoh are taking drastic action to save the company. There's some worry ahead there - K1 replacement is overdue - and rebadging Tamron lenses 15-30 and 24-70 which are 35mm format staples won't fly forever.

Pentax will make camera's - but expect the make to go full Leica on us - DSLR's will become niche and make will go fully niche once the prices start to rocket as Ricoh try to squeeze profits from a shrinking style in a shrinking sector.
In our house I have Pentax and Nikon, SWMBO has Canon (5D4 and R6)...

For my kit all I need to remember is that one operates in the mirror of the other. For the pentax thumb moves aperture and forefinger shutter speed, the Nikon is the opposite,

Having used the K-1 in Venice I was just reminded how intuitive it is, and after you've had the Mirrorless sales pitch you think my Pentax just doesn't do that, it does it better. The D500/D810 I have because of AF/Flash etc, but for mojo K-1 is the Austin Powers.

Back to Canon, having mentioned how intuitive the Pentax is, and by association Nikon, the Canon is absolutely horrid. My K-1 and D810 manuals are untouched - mint, even, that both cameras give me everything I need and I probably miss out on a lot of other great features both cameras have. Other half doesn't bother reading her manual, and gets stuck. Guess who has to solve it and I absolutely detest the layout of Canon cameras, they are unfathomable and overcomplicated. You want to preview an image? There was me in Venice last week, on Sunday - catholic country on a Sunday - effing and blinding. Teaching other half who is Canon through and through how to use the detested thing. Absolutely hate them!

Meanwhile still waiting for the elusive D880 and the Pentax equivalent.

In our house I have Pentax and Nikon, SWMBO has Canon (5D4 and R6)...

For my kit all I need to remember is that one operates in the mirror of the other. For the pentax thumb moves aperture and forefinger shutter speed, the Nikon is the opposite,

Back to Canon, having mentioned how intuitive the Pentax is, and by association Nikon, the Canon is absolutely horrid.

Meanwhile still waiting for the elusive D880 and the Pentax equivalent.

BTW- you can change the control wheel settings in your Nikon.

I owned a 5ds - I agree with your comments in general. Too menue driven for me. Nice lenses though.

When/if the D880 or 61mp K1 comes - ill buy two

:tumbleweed:

As a Pentax user since 2008 (when I first posted to this forum asking for advice on Pentax and was told don't bother, they will be gone within a couple of years) I am well used to waiting. Have no problem with my Sony or Canon menus though.

I was told Pentax were doomed in 1987, when they were 'slow off the mark' with AF. That was when I was looking to buy a P50 (couldn't afford an AF camera being a poor student), so it was that, a Chinon or a Miranda (oh, the choice!). I believe Ricoh will surprise us, but D880 will be the litmus test.

New Nikon D850 arrived today. Great so far. On the lookout for a EN-EL18 battery and charger now for the 9 FPS. What would the going rate/cost for these be? I’m always wary buying second hand batteries off ebay and such likes.

New Nikon D850 arrived today. Great so far. On the lookout for a EN-EL18 battery and charger now for the 9 FPS.
As rare as hen's teeth second-hand and an absolutely extortionate price new.

I've given up looking now after almost a year of doing so. I'm quite glad to be honest, because I've managed easily without, so would have wasted my money anyway.

New Nikon D850 arrived today. Great so far. On the lookout for a EN-EL18 battery and charger now for the 9 FPS. What would the going rate/cost for these be? I’m always wary buying second hand batteries off ebay and such likes.

They're quite kind on batteries to be honest - use the live view and it drops a bit but if you keep that off they're fine. You can buy a 3rd party durcell battery which will work fine.

Right - anyone use the Nikon smart phone app to act as a remote control for their D850 instead of a cable release.

If so - is it any good - and is it reliable - or are you safer/easier with a wee remote release cable?

On the 645z there isn't a smart phone wireless (bluetooth or wifi) to do this - so I use a cheap £10 cable to do the job.

Last edited:
Hi, last Sunday I took my D850 with the NIKKOR 4/70-200 out for the first time. (Normally, it sits on my my dining-room table to take bird pics.) :

DSC_2098-d850-n70c.jpg

DSC_2096-d850-n70c.jpg

DSC_2093-d850-n70c.jpg

DSC_2164-d850-n70c.jpg

DSC_2167-d850-n70c.jpg

DSC_2142-d850-n70c.jpg

DSC_2163-d850-n70.jpg

I am now in the D850 club! I will hang onto my D810 for a little while longer (how long I am not sure, but if I have paid any amount on CF cards I will get my money's worth out of them!!). Travel will be D810/D850 while Goodwood/Wildlife will be D500/D850.

Gets her first outing at the weekend for Goodwood 79th Member's meeting.

K-1 is a keeper. Glad to see Mike is still flying the flag high still. For photography where I don't need the 80-400 or 200-500 the Pentax will come out.

Now the proud owner of a d850 since sunday and been playing around with it in the house. Hoping to get out next week as ill be off work for easter

Came from crop frame d7000.

Oh my word, firstly, the focusing is insane. Never have i experience sharp photos like this.

Was playing around with the iso to get a feel for it, previously with my d7000 the max i would push it would be 800. Even that would be acceptable.

At iso 3200 the d850 produces a cleaner omage than my crop frame did at iso 100. Wizardry in this.

My 35mm prime dx lens works perfectly at 1.8 and 2.8 and i ensured i purchaed a starter fx lens 18-35

Sorry to bore you, but ive never been this exited before at a cameras perfomance

Now the proud owner of a d850 since sunday and been playing around with it in the house. Hoping to get out next week as ill be off work for easter

Came from crop frame d7000.

Oh my word, firstly, the focusing is insane. Never have i experience sharp photos like this.

Was playing around with the iso to get a feel for it, previously with my d7000 the max i would push it would be 800. Even that would be acceptable.

At iso 3200 the d850 produces a cleaner omage than my crop frame did at iso 100. Wizardry in this.

My 35mm prime dx lens works perfectly at 1.8 and 2.8 and i ensured i purchaed a starter fx lens 18-35

Sorry to bore you, but ive never been this exited before at a cameras perfomance
Your wallet will hate me for this, but put some of Nikon's best glass on cameras like the D850 and the results - as in this thread- are astonishing.
Enjoy

Yes - it really does need the very best.

Currently I have the 20 1.8, 24-70 VR and 70-200 2.8 FL ED

70-200 2.8 - if you click through on Flickr you can enlarge

Thanks for those @SFTPhotography - I love the 70-200 fl-e, I'm a sports shooter and it's just the best thing I've ever used. Super sharp (as your images show) and lighting fast AF too - it's the best 70-200 for DSLR made imo.

The 200 F2 really shines too, it's heavy, but worth it!

Who else is using their 24-120/4 VR on their D850? Not since I had my D3 has the 24-120 felt 'at home'. Doing the focussing tests before Goodwood I was able to get the lens matched with the camera pretty well with approx -6 dialled in which covered both ends of the zoom range. The 24-70G on the other hand needs a bit more time to evaluate (it was good on the D810).

Pictures from Goodwood taken on the camera look good, plus those taken with the 70-200 VR2 (the one lens that goes on all my bodies with no issues at all).

Who else is using their 24-120/4 VR on their D850? Not since I had my D3 has the 24-120 felt 'at home'. Doing the focussing tests before Goodwood I was able to get the lens matched with the camera pretty well with approx -6 dialled in which covered both ends of the zoom range. The 24-70G on the other hand needs a bit more time to evaluate (it was good on the D810).

Pictures from Goodwood taken on the camera look good, plus those taken with the 70-200 VR2 (the one lens that goes on all my bodies with no issues at all).

They're all different - some copies of lenses just work best on different examples of the same body - you can use the focus fine tune to match them though.

For landscapers we shoot stopped down so it just isn't a "thing".

The most activity my D850 (and the other 2) have had in the past 2 weeks is to test the AF calibration.....thankfully the Reikan Focal confirmed my suspicions that the AF-S 50/1,4 I've had for 12 years is back-focussing (same correction on D810 and D850) and the same with the 85/1.8D. Tested the 200-500 with all three bodies and that confirmed my technique was awful. Images taken on 70-200 VR2 show I need not be concerned...

Trip to Kew Gardens tomorrow....

Back