Nikon D850 - Owners Thread

Last edited:
DSC_4515.jpgSome images from Namibia - the Milky Way from the Kalahari - was a bit underexposed, just didn't want to lighten it too muchDSC_4519.jpg

And in the daytime, to convince me D850 can do birds as well as the D500 - well, in my incapable hands - with the 80-400G
DSC_4437.jpg

Black-shouldered kite, again in the Kalahari

The D850 and 24-70 F2.8 VR are a strong combination. The lens providing very good centre to edge sharpness once stopped down at most focal lengths.

Here the combination allows me to work with the classic 35mm and 50mm focal lengths without having to swap lens's and risk dirt ingress to the sensor. Or indeed faff around with two bodies with a 35mm on one and a 50mm on the other and swap on tripod all the tiime.

Quick twist of the zoom ring, refocus - job done.

_DSC1267_DxO by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC1271_DxO by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC1286_DxO by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Up at another lake

_DSC1323_DxO by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC1330_DxO by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC1338_DxO by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Right - anyone use the Nikon smart phone app to act as a remote control for their D850 instead of a cable release.

If so - is it any good - and is it reliable - or are you safer/easier with a wee remote release cable?

On the 645z there isn't a smart phone wireless (bluetooth or wifi) to do this - so I use a cheap £10 cable to do the job.
Just tried it and seems fine. Bit of a faff to connect initially but once talking to each other, seems OK and can change settings, focus point etc. No idea about battery drain though

Last edited:
Nice pics Steve. It's been about fifteen years since I was in the Pyrenees, I used to go three or four times a year and really miss going . . .

Good luck, I hope you manage it. It's a great area, but I only ever spent summers there. I'm not very good on skis, so I doubt it would have suited me so much in winter . . .

Last edited:
Detail from the D850 really shines through. :)
I’ve saved up enough money to replace my ‘ageing’ D850 with a mirrorless system. Only thing is I want exceptional image quality and lenses that not only offer superb sharpness but have lots of 3D rendering and character. Problem is I already have that with the D850 in bucket loads so every time I think of changing I always talk myself down!!

I’ve saved up enough money to replace my ‘ageing’ D850 with a mirrorless system. Only thing is I want exceptional image quality and lenses that not only offer superb sharpness but have lots of 3D rendering and character. Problem is I already have that with the D850 in bucket loads so every time I think of changing I always talk myself down!!
You'll only do better from an A7r4, GFX100S or GFX50s

How long till it’s discontinued do we reckon, I’m hedging my bets on a bigger discount (grey) until I pull the trigger. I don't need one but I’ve been given a D3 and I just much prefer the user experience over my teeny tiny x-t30

Managed a fair few Little birds during a trip to Dorset with a 'loaned' (from MPB) Nikkor 500 mm f4VR - partly for personal and partly as a favour to someone. Was quite impressed with the 1.7x on the front too....

Dunnock singing 2.jpg

Attachments

• Robin 850 on 850 with 1.7 converter on 500.jpg
    Robin 850 on 850 with 1.7 converter on 500.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 3
  • Female pheasant.jpg
    Female pheasant.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Long tailed tit.jpg
    Long tailed tit.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 3

If it ain't broke...

I'm still using a D810 and it is absolutely fine. A D850 would have gained me almost nothing for what I use it for. Also, Nikon mirrorless are ludicrously expensive and people seem to suggest that unless you get the Z9, they still have a lot of work to do to get them right -- of course I have nothing to back this up except what I have read on this forum. Plus I just bought a brand new Sigma Art 14-24mm so the 810 will have to do for a long time now.

Since you have a D850 already, IMVHO a move to mirrorless is just GAS (yes, we all get it sometimes :oops: :$ ).

If it ain't broke...

I'm still using a D810 and it is absolutely fine. A D850 would have gained me almost nothing for what I use it for. Also, Nikon mirrorless are ludicrously expensive and people seem to suggest that unless you get the Z9, they still have a lot of work to do to get them right -- of course I have nothing to back this up except what I have read on this forum. Plus I just bought a brand new Sigma Art 14-24mm so the 810 will have to do for a long time now.

Since you have a D850 already, IMVHO a move to mirrorless is just GAS (yes, we all get it sometimes :oops: :$ ).
I agree and any future move to mirrorless wouldn’t be Nikon flavoured, it’s just too far behind Sony.

I agree and any future move to mirrorless wouldn’t be Nikon flavoured, it’s just too far behind Sony.

In the unlikely event of me moving to mirrorless, I can't see me moving away from Nikon. I have used Nikons all my photographic life, and I started in earnest in 1976. To try to change to another make at my time of life is out of the question as everything is in the right place for me and even with varying models I can pick up a Nikon and use most of its features without a learning curve.

I found an article which, while being a little out of date as there is no Z9 mentioned, does compare Sony with Nikon along the lines of the age-old battle between Canon and Nikon. As the article says, given an image, no one could tell what manufacturers camera it was taken on and I think the same applies between DSLR and mirrorless. It's my opinion that if you are into video, then the Sony is the one for you but in all my years with digital cameras I've probably used video for about two hours and so is a non-starter in the appeal stakes. If my D810 packs up then I'll have to think long and hard whether to go mirrorless or buy a D850, I hope it is a long time before I have to decide but if I do, it will almost certainly be a Nikon.

NB I do have a Fuji X100V for portability so I'm not totally blinkered :D

Last edited:
Back