Nikon D850 - Owners Thread

Me too for this lens (for D500) and upcoming air show..
I took the 300 prime last time and found it too restrictive.

I had the opportunity to try one yesterday on a lens I was selling and they came with a D850 to try it, I didn’t realise it had totally silent shutter in live view, I thought I had not took the photo but then seen the review screen, very neat feature

Cool, you can let me know if the AF works fully then as I've been considering this lens too ;) Would be interested to know if ALL focus points including the far corners work at 400mm (y)
Hope your new d850 is better! Would love to hear your thoughts on the camera once you use it for a bit

I had the opportunity to try one yesterday on a lens I was selling and they came with a D850 to try it, I didn’t realise it had totally silent shutter in live view, I thought I had not took the photo but then seen the review screen, very neat feature
It's cool but I can't see me ever using it as the AF in live view sucks :(

Hope your new d850 is better! Would love to hear your thoughts on the camera once you use it for a bit
The camera is cracking, if you don't get a Lemon ;) Seriously, AF is bang on, detail is incredible, colours are great SOOC, build is great, viewfinder is incredible, LCD screen is really sharp, buffer and frame rate more than adequate for my needs, and of course it's got a whopping 45.7mp, what's not to love? :D

I think I need a clear out of my photos, I've got 187gb of processed images. That's 187gb of jpegs :eek: I hate to think how many gigs of RAW I've got ;)

I think I need a clear out of my photos, I've got 187gb of processed images. That's 187gb of jpegs :eek: I hate to think how many gigs of RAW I've got ;)

Hate to think how many are throw away..... Just buy more HDD, thats yours and Dans solution isnt it?

Hate to think how many are throw away..... Just buy more HDD, thats yours and Dans solution isnt it?
For the RAWs yes, the jpegs are all 'keepers' that I've processed. That being said I'm going to have a massive cull and just keep the best of the 'keepers' ;)

Omg jpg as keepers!!!!!
That's what I mean :eek: It'll get worse with the D850 too as the file sizes are much bigger, most jpegs are over 30mb :eek:

Do you shoot jpg as well?
Technically yes as I shoot jpeg backup, but I never use them and delete them as soon as the RAWs are on the computer and I've made sure they're not corrupt or anything.

Ok cool that's what I do too but now just shoot raw and raw.
I may do that too, but for sports I'll still shoot jpeg backup as it decreases the buffer otherwise.

Last edited:
Great images. Did the camera behave
Cheers Andy, it did actually. Only once did it kind of freeze but was only for a couple of seconds and wasn't at an important time.

The images look a bit soft on here to me, do they look OK to you? For some reason I've been finding a number of my images don't look as sharp online compared to my originals. Not sure whether Safari have changed something?

Cheers Andy, it did actually. Only once did it kind of freeze but was only for a couple of seconds and wasn't at an important time.

The images look a bit soft on here to me, do they look OK to you? For some reason I've been finding a number of my images don't look as sharp online compared to my originals. Not sure whether Safari have changed something?

They look perfectly fine here Toby nothing wrong with them at all.

Think you better get it packed ready for your new one

They look perfectly fine here Toby nothing wrong with them at all.

Think you better get it packed ready for your new one
Thanks Andy. My originals still look better to me, but as long as they look OK that's fine.

Ye they're picking it up tomorrow so will box it up tonight.

I used to find my images all looked really soft on here, but now use flickr and they look a lot better now.
Yours look fine to me btw !

First astro trip with the D850 to Penmon Lighthouse on Anglesey last Friday... shot at Iso2200, f2.8... the D850 files definitely clean up better than my previous D800. Whilst I don't think the actual image is much cleaner the files process better somehow

p2833710994-5.jpg

D850 was returned today, fingers crossed I don’t get another Lemon. Unfortunately there’s more and more people complaining about the freezing issue on DPR. That’s several cameras that have been plagued with freezing now, and also the D500 with the err message. Nikon really need a kick up the backside with their QC.

D850 was returned today, fingers crossed I don’t get another Lemon. Unfortunately there’s more and more people complaining about the freezing issue on DPR. That’s several cameras that have been plagued with freezing now, and also the D500 with the err message. Nikon really need a kick up the backside with their QC.
Your return again for the second time?

If so. Ditch it and get an a7r3! Or stick with your old gear

Would have lost my patience the second time

Last edited:
Your return again for the second time?

If so. Ditch it and get an a7r3! Or stick with your old gear

Would have lost my patience the second time
Lol, no it's the first one. They couldn't get a new one out in time for the weekend for the Marathon so they allowed me to use the old one and return it afterwards. I'm really happy with the end result. Colours are great and it did well as lighting conditions were extremely difficult. We were on Birdcage Walk which is heavily tree lined meaning there were patches of pretty extreme brightness and then heavily shaded areas. Also, recovery was excellent for those where the exposure wasn't great, and that was only using 12 bit too. I have to say that the oranges of the Arthritis Research vests are the most accurate and vibrant of any of the marathons I've done (y)

Now obviously this (from 3.05 in the video below) means diddly squat and should be taken with a pinch of salt, however I did find it interesting how large a percentage of shots were Nikon (the majority) especially when you consider that Canon have a much much larger market share and therefore should (in theory) also top charts like this purely down to the laws of probability. Also I found it interesting that whilst the shots with mirrorless have double from last year they are still way behind DSLR. That's a trend I expect to change in the next 2-3 years though.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TLSyNAM6_4

For the RAWs yes, the jpegs are all 'keepers' that I've processed. That being said I'm going to have a massive cull and just keep the best of the 'keepers' ;)

What's the point of saving jpegs? If you're using LR only, then your edits are stored with your RAWs. Jpegs are for output only. I only create a jpeg for a) a web image which gets uploaded, then deleted, or b) to send for printing. Just wasted files and valuable storage space. All PS edits are stored as PSD.

Last edited:
What's the point of saving jpegs? If you're using LR only, then your edits are stored on your RAWs. I only create a jpeg for a) a web image which gets uploaded, then deleted, or b) to send for printing. Just wasted files and valuable storage space. All PS edits are stored as PSD.
Because RAWs take up a lot of space and once I’ve finished processing a batch I offload the RAWs onto external drives. Also, I don’t like LR as a photo viewer.

Because RAWs take up a lot of space and once I’ve finished processing a batch I offload the RAWs onto external drives. Also, I don’t like LR as a photo viewer.

Kinda do the same, in that I have my working files on the laptop SD (backups on externals) then when complete (and web images uploaded to wherever) they're moved onto my externals. The best images are normally either in collections for LR CC viewing pleasure or on the web somewhere, I don't find a need to look through the mediocre stuff again very often.

Kinda do the same, in that I have my working files on the laptop SD (backups on externals) then when complete (and web images uploaded to wherever) they're moved onto my externals. The best images are normally either in collections for LR CC viewing pleasure or on the web somewhere, I don't find a need to look through the mediocre stuff again very often.
TBH most of the time I use Flickr to view my images, another reason why I’m going through a culling process ;)

TBH most of the time I use Flickr to view my images, another reason why I’m going through a culling process ;)

I do like the fact that you can have public images on Flickr and your family etc private. Works well enough for me, along with a private FB group to share everyday stuff with family and friends [emoji6]

I’m pretty mercenary these days and only keep what are really worth it, it’s liberating!

Last edited:
Just thought I'd share a few more pics from the marathon. I've started a thread in the pic sharing section but thought I'd share a selection on here too.

DSC_2178
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Blade Runner
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_1970-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_2252
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_3180
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_2490-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_3696
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_2398
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Some great shots

#1 is Forrest Gump! :)

Some great shots

#1 is Forrest Gump! :)
Thanks. Yeah he got the world record for the fastest time running as someone dressed as a film character. Also apparently he copied Forrest Gump by running across America 6 times or so :eek:

I was out yesterday doing some mountain walking etc and to be honest the weather was terrible with very hard light/bright white patches in sky rain etc. The D850 performed amazing, it got soaked on quite a few occasions. What impressed me a lot was how I expected a lot to do in lightroom with bracketing etc only to find that I could get a decent image for a single shot, very handing when the weather doesn't take kindly to filters.

I was out yesterday doing some mountain walking etc and to be honest the weather was terrible with very hard light/bright white patches in sky rain etc. The D850 performed amazing, it got soaked on quite a few occasions. What impressed me a lot was how I expected a lot to do in lightroom with bracketing etc only to find that I could get a decent image for a single shot, very handing when the weather doesn't take kindly to filters.
I found that with the D750, and now D850. I take 3 shot brackets but most of the time just edit a single shot.

I found that with the D750, and now D850. I take 3 shot brackets but most of the time just edit a single shot.

I've come from using D810's and thought that was excellent, but the D850 is still so much better imo.

That is why when I go out on landscape trip I often but my bag with the X-T2 in the car as well in case I want the lighter option but never choose it in the end.

Replacement D850 is now in Germany with a Monday delivery date :) The only worrying thing is that the parcel is listed as 1kg but it's supposed to be being sent with the 24-70mm :eek: ;)

Replacement D850 is now in Germany with a Monday delivery date :) The only worrying thing is that the parcel is listed as 1kg but it's supposed to be being sent with the 24-70mm :eek: ;)

Treated yourself with a new lens then

Treated yourself with a new lens then
Ordered it at the time of the original D850 but been waiting for stock. Sold my 24-120mm f4, Sigma 85mm f1.4 and Olly 45mm f1.8 to fund it ;) I've always favoured the 24-120mm over the 24-70mm due to the extra reach, but I gain more effective reach with the D850 so decided to get the 24-70mm instead.

Back