Nikon D850 - Owners Thread

did you find any of your lenses needed adjustment as apposed to on your d750 and why didn't you use the in camera MFA,dont you trust it?
Not tried them all yet. 50mm needs none, although the D850 has highlighted a slight decentering issue. 70-200mm f2.8 needs +7, didn't need any on the D750. Not tried any others yet. I trust my method of adjusting so it didn't cross my mind to use the auto one tbh.

Well I think I've got a lemon and asked for a replacement camera to be sent. I have had the freezing issue a further 4 times today and now also it had some other weird behaviour where no matter what focus mode I set it to (d9, 3D, group) it stayed on single point regardless of what the camera was displaying in the LCD. I initially thought that the 50mm f1.8g must not be compatible with the more advanced focus modes so I tried it with my 70-200mm f2.8 and everything worked OK. I swapped back to the 50mm and this time all focus modes worked fine. Obviously some gremlins. I don't have much luck with cameras :(

Well I think I've got a lemon and asked for a replacement camera to be sent. I have had the freezing issue a further 4 times today and now also it had some other weird behaviour where no matter what focus mode I set it to (d9, 3D, group) it stayed on single point regardless of what the camera was displaying in the LCD. I initially thought that the 50mm f1.8g must not be compatible with the more advanced focus modes so I tried it with my 70-200mm f2.8 and everything worked OK. I swapped back to the 50mm and this time all focus modes worked fine. Obviously some gremlins. I don't have much luck with cameras :(

Hope it doesn’t play up at then weekend might be safer using the d750

Annoying but at least you have good customer service.

Annoying but at least you have good customer service.
Yep, just that I have an important shoot this weekend so could’ve done without the worry of whether it’ll let me down or not. At least I still have the D750 as backup.

Another odd thing that I’ve noticed, although in isolation I wouldn’t bat an eyelid at, is that when I turn the camera off it often doesn’t instantly turn off and has taken maybe up to 5 seconds to actually turn off. This is not due to images being written to the card as sometimes it’s occured after reviewing images, or looking through the menus. Is this normal for the D850, don’t recall it happening with other cameras.

Another odd thing that I’ve noticed, although in isolation I wouldn’t bat an eyelid at, is that when I turn the camera off it often doesn’t instantly turn off and has taken maybe up to 5 seconds to actually turn off. This is not due to images being written to the card as sometimes it’s occured after reviewing images, or looking through the menus. Is this normal for the D850, don’t recall it happening with other cameras.
I've had that happen with the D850 maybe twice but I recall having it happen with other bodies but can't remember which now.

I've had that happen with the D850 maybe twice but I recall having it happen with other bodies but can't remember which now.
Thanks, happens more often than not with mine :confused: Trust me to get a lemon :rolleyes:

Once again I can't fault the service from Panamoz. They're sending a replacement no quibbles, but because I've got a shoot at the weekend they're happy for me to continue to use my current camera and then sort out the replacement next week as there's not enough time to get the replacement to me by the weekend. Can't fault that service at all (y)

Just been doing a test and I'm getting nothing like the buffer Nikon state. 14 bit lossless compressed RAW I'm getting low 20's, 12 bit lossless compressed I'm getting mid 30's, that's some way off the 51 and 170 stated by Nikon. This is writing RAW only to the XQD with no SD card. Admittedly I'm not using the fastest Sony, I have the Lexar 1400x 210mb/s, and the Sony M series R 440mb/s, W 150mb/s. Using the battery grip an 9fps it reduces slightly further still. Does anyone know what cards Nikon state these big buffer figures are tested with? For some reason I had it in my head that it was the M-series Sony and not the fast G-series.

Don't get me wrong, a mid 30's buffer is enough for me but I don't get why I'm not getting the performance I thought. I used MF to rule out AF interfering, and have active d-lighting, vignette control etc etc turned off.

Edit: Just seen in the manual that those figures are obtained with the G-series card. I'm surprised the card can make that much difference to the buffer, changing 12-bit from mid 30's to roughly 170 :eek: I can't wait until Lexar start shipping cards again. Latest date is June.

Last edited:
Just been doing a test and I'm getting nothing like the buffer Nikon state. 14 bit lossless compressed RAW I'm getting low 20's, 12 bit lossless compressed I'm getting mid 30's, that's some way off the 51 and 170 stated by Nikon. This is writing RAW only to the XQD with no SD card. Admittedly I'm not using the fastest Sony, I have the Lexar 1400x 210mb/s, and the Sony M series R 440mb/s, W 150mb/s. Using the battery grip an 9fps it reduces slightly further still. Does anyone know what cards Nikon state these big buffer figures are tested with? For some reason I had it in my head that it was the M-series Sony and not the fast G-series.

Don't get me wrong, a mid 30's buffer is enough for me but I don't get why I'm not getting the performance I thought. I used MF to rule out AF interfering, and have active d-lighting, vignette control etc etc turned off.

Edit: Just seen in the manual that those figures are obtained with the G-series card. I'm surprised the card can make that much difference to the buffer, changing 12-bit from mid 30's to roughly 170 :eek: I can't wait until Lexar start shipping cards again. Latest date is June.

As you discovered it is with the G-Series cards ... however, even with these cards I have seen reviews that indicate that the Nikon-stated figures are over-stated.
I don't find any of this a problem and I suspect that anyone seriously needing those rates will go for a D5, or possibly a D500.
I suppose a fair bit of data is being thrown around with the D850 file sizes so I guess it's always going to be a bit variable.

Great, thanks That's why I was asking actually as I'd like to buy the ex-pro to save money. Always used ExPro and been happy with them.

Just to let anyone who is interested know, that I managed to get 9fps for a good price, all kit was sourced through amazon UK.

Mcoplus Grip £85

EXPro EL18 battery and MH26 Charger £80

ExPro BL5 battery cover £11

All works well, and the 9fps is a real bonus

Richard.

Didn’t one of the older Nikon bodies display this issue with a specific slower memory cards and specific brand? (Cannot remember which one though sorry)

First landscape with the D850. Didn't get time to go anywhere special so just nipped up to Baslow Edge which is 10 mins away

DSC_1488
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice clean image. Hmmm you live 10 mins away from Baslow edge so
Your this side chesterfield [emoji1303]

i may consider swapping my 5d4 for a d850. does the d850 have a Log profile for recording in 4k etc?
No idea don't shoot video, but why do you still need/want a DSLR?

Whilst I take these things with a pinch of salt it does make me feel batter about my choice of the D850 over the A7Riii (y)

@JJ the tracking focus moving towards and away might interest you (6.58s)
I don't think he is using latest fw version of the 70-200 because that focus issue when zooming in and out was well known on the lens and was fixed

I don't think he is using latest fw version of the 70-200 because that focus issue when zooming in and out was well known on the lens and was fixed
Was still 'only' 90% without zooming though :p

But that wasn't my only reason. In terms of colour/rendering it was 8-4 in favour of Nikon too ;)

Right folks, my D850 arrives today and I'm looking for some telephoto advice, party for Motorsport and partly for landscape stuff, I used the 200-500 Nikon before and its excellent but in all honesty I probably need something a little wider (100/150mm maybe)

I've had a look at the Sigma 100-400 which looks decent buy what about the other 150'500/600 options, any good?

I’ve got the Siggy 150-600 Contemporary. Very happy with it.
Worth checking out the dedicated thread.

Right folks, my D850 arrives today and I'm looking for some telephoto advice, party for Motorsport and partly for landscape stuff, I used the 200-500 Nikon before and its excellent but in all honesty I probably need something a little wider (100/150mm maybe)

I've had a look at the Sigma 100-400 which looks decent buy what about the other 150'500/600 options, any good?
Depends on budget, how much weight you're happy with and what range you want. I have the Tamron 150-600mm which weighs in at 1.9kg. Whilst you can handhold and pan with this it's not easy when you're down to 1/60 and below. For this reason I rented the Sigma 100-400mm for Silverstone last year and found it much more manageable. IQ was on a par, although stabilisation was not quite as good. Note that from 500mm and beyond you can't use all the focus points with the Sigma and Tamron 150-600mm's

If it was me buying from scratch so to speak I would choose the Nikon 80-400mm. Somewhere in between weight wise, you can use all AF points all of the time, and 400mm is more than enough reach for motorsport imo, especially when you consider you still have 20mp at 600mm eq.

Last edited:
Depends on budget, how much weight you're happy with and what range you want. I have the Tamron 150-600mm which weighs in at 1.9kg. Whilst you can handhold and pan with this it's not easy when you're down to 1/60 and below. For this reason I rented the Sigma 100-400mm for Silverstone last year and found it much more manageable. IQ was on a par, although stabilisation was not quite as good. Note that from 500mm and beyond you can't use all the focus points with the Sigma and Tamron 150-600mm's

If it was me buying from scratch so to speak I would choose the Nikon 80-400mm. Somewhere in between weight wise, you can use all AF points all of the time, and 400mm is more than enough reach for motorsport imo, especially when you consider you still have 20mp at 600mm eq.

Cheers! I’ve been looking at samples form the Sigma 100-400 this morning and decided to pull the trigger, seems a bargain at its current price if the IQ is as good as the reviews suggest.
Picking up the D850 later, 100-400, 28 & 58 coming tomorrow!

Cheers! I’ve been looking at samples form the Sigma 100-400 this morning and decided to pull the trigger, seems a bargain at its current price if the IQ is as good as the reviews suggest.
Picking up the D850 later, 100-400, 28 & 58 coming tomorrow!
Cool, you can let me know if the AF works fully then as I've been considering this lens too ;) Would be interested to know if ALL focus points including the far corners work at 400mm (y)

Back