Nikon D850 - Owners Thread

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I haven't seen a Nikon D850 thread, bar the "Development Post" but thought it is useful to create a Nikon D850 owners thread to include your thoughts, loves/hates, techy and images from the Nikon D850.

I've had one for near on 8 weeks upgrading from a D810 and have to say after initial thoughts it has been an upgrade worth while. I'll admit I'm a pixel pincher and love detail. The ability to crop that bit further, the incredible dynamic range and high iso capability has given me a lot of smiles when post processing. Don't get me wrong the iso improvement from the 810 isn't worlds apart but can say it's an improvement.

The additional battery grip for me is a bonus extra 2fps (from 7fps giving 9fps) but you have to buy not only a D4s/D5 battery, charger, along with the battery chamber cover. It does make it an expensive addition and wouldn't have purchased one if I didn't already have the D4s. So preordered the MB-D18 . Downside is the extra weight as I carry it attached to a 500F4.

I've become big into birding and my appreciation for wildlife has expanded exponentially realising how much wildlife is around and the beauty it gives us.

Here are some shots from my outings with the D850, Nikon 500F4 combo:

Bullfinch (Male) by Edymobeel, on Flickr

Long-Tailed Tit by Edymobeel, on Flickr

Eurasian Jay by Edymobeel, on Flickr

Heron by Edymobeel, on Flickr

Eurasian Jay by Edymobeel, on Flickr

Little Grebe by Edymobeel, on Flickr

Moon by Edymobeel, on Flickr

Nuthatch by Edymobeel, on Flickr

So to all D850 upcoming and existing users or if you just want to know more about the camera please post here.

Kinobe

Last edited:
Is there any decent aftermarket grips available yet- I know there are some but want something reliable and can take the EN-EL18 battery to give the 9fps. Most listing say they take the en-el15 which doesn’t increase FPS.

I just bought an L bracket for the camera un-gripped as I wanted a smaller body than my D4s but a grip may come in handy at times so might buy one if any are decent.

I just cant understand how dxomark tested the 810 and 850 and the results were .

Dynamic range : Equal 14.8 Evs each.
ISO score : 810 - 2853 / 850 - 2660.
Color depth : 810 - 25.7 bits / 850 26.4 bits.

So according to their testing the 850 has more resolution and a bit more color depth but equal dynamic range and worse ISO performance.

Thinking of buying a Nikon 850 where is the best / cheapest place to buy

Panamoz is cheapest of the non evay type sellers and have a cery good warranty.
yes was thinking about buying from them just checking where about in north Lanarkshire are you I lived in wishaw and uddingston most of my life now in Stirling

I had one delivered by Panamoz just before Christmas by due to Work and further back problems I still haven’t really got out to test it! I upgraded from the D750 which I loved!

I’d been thinking since getting it I havnt seen a D850 owners thread so glad One has been made!

Has anyone found any problems or negatives to their D850 yet?

@Kodiak Qc had some issues involving additional expenditure on a computer etc :)

Yes, I had and still have some difficulties but they are related
to the fact that, at the same time, I got a new machine. As I
need for the larger files both faster transfer rate and proces-
sing power.

None of my difficulties are camera or Mac dependent but
cards and card readers are hard to come by at this time.

I just cant understand how dxomark tested the 810 and 850 and the results were .

Dynamic range : Equal 14.8 Evs each.
ISO score : 810 - 2853 / 850 - 2660.
Color depth : 810 - 25.7 bits / 850 26.4 bits.

So according to their testing the 850 has more resolution and a bit more color depth but equal dynamic range and worse ISO performance.

Why do you find that hard to believe?

Why do you find that hard to believe?

Because of all the d850 owners saying their new camera if far improved in those areas.

I don't know how they test the dynamic range but there was zero improvement at all in their test.

Because of all the d850 owners saying their new camera if far improved in those areas.

I don't know how they test the dynamic range but there was zero improvement at all in their test.

New camera owners say a lot of things. Much of it has to be taken with a grain of salt. Tune in to the D850 Facebook page for some of the most mind boggling questions you’ve ever seen.

Though I love the D810, the D850 doesn't disappoint me
except for the trigger loudness.

Minimum of PP here and no sharpening added and very
heavy cropped.

A2100%2051D.jpg

Last edited:
D850 delivered now what lens I have 10.5 dx 16-35 f4 old 20 f2:8 24-70 f2:8 50 f1:8 70-200 f2:8 vr1 85 1:8 d 105 vr f2:8 sigma 150-600 c looking to a prime or 2 mostly for landscapes/weddings looking at sigma 35 1:4 art

D850 delivered now what lens I have 10.5 dx 16-35 f4 old 20 f2:8 24-70 f2:8 50 f1:8 70-200 f2:8 vr1 85 1:8 d 105 vr f2:8 sigma 150-600 c looking to a prime or 2 mostly for landscapes/weddings looking at sigma 35 1:4 art

Congrats! The Sigma 35mm is a stunning lens, a bit heavy but the IQ is outstanding! I've still got one sitting around in Nikon mount in the hope I'll use it again some day!

Did you spend some of your lens money on a D850 Roger ?

No Adam I couldn't justify the cost at the moment and I'm happy with my D500 now ... from the few images I have seen with the D850, I think the D810 gives much cleaner results.

No Adam I couldn't justify the cost at the moment and I'm happy with my D500 now ... from the few images I have seen with the D850, I think the D810 gives much cleaner results.
Ah I thought for a moment you had purchased the D850 to try to cover the reach you had with 500 by cropping, don’t blame you waiting I’d like to think they be 2500 by summer (wishful thinking maybe) interesting comment about images, I did wonder whether shutter speeds would need increasing further due to pixel density like people had to when d800 came out but not kept up with reports on this just how happy people are that have one

Ah I thought for a moment you had purchased the D850 to try to cover the reach you had with 500 by cropping, don’t blame you waiting I’d like to think they be 2500 by summer (wishful thinking maybe) interesting comment about images, I did wonder whether shutter speeds would need increasing further due to pixel density like people had to when d800 came out but not kept up with reports on this just how happy people are that have one
D850 can be had for under £2800 currently :)

Congrats! The Sigma 35mm is a stunning lens, a bit heavy but the IQ is outstanding! I've still got one sitting around in Nikon mount in the hope I'll use it again some day!
thanks for the reply looking to add a couple of primes will get the 35 art first then look at the 85 f1:4 art next

I had mine now nearly 3 months and for those considering a upgrade especially from the D800/D810 it deffo imo worth the ££££

As Gramps says they coming down now if you prepared to go the grey route, although I bought mine Uk with being a early adopter didn't want to find like previous Nikon bodies a fault appears and have to try send it back abroad, but it looks like they got it right with this release as no bad reports have surfaced of any problems?

For wildlife the extra mp does really make a difference when you cropping smaller subjects in the frame and if you can fill the frame the detail is incredible!

For me that the main bonus the detail as well as the extra 2fps giving you 7fps as standard, unfortunately unless you have a D4s or D5 etc it not worth the extra ££££ for the 9fps having to buy that battery and charger as well as the £££ grip!

I think the focus system is definitely more snappy and accurate although I had no real issues with my D810 it seems faster and more accurate

Funnily enough I never use the touch screen probably because years of not using it I just forget it there!

A couple of recent pics below !

Jay With Acorns by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

Long Tail Tit by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

Little Grebe by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

Grey Heron by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

Looking to get a D850 (with all the bits to get 9fps) this year, however, the only way I can budget for it would be to sell both our D500 and D810, leaving me with just the one body.

Now that it's been out for a little while, has anyone done the same thing? If so what are the pros and cons for you?

Only having one body is a worry for me but to be honest, I don't use them that often and at least it would remove worrying if I've go!t the right body on the lens.

If it helps I shoot mainly wildlife and landscapes but will be shooting a lot more of our little boy who is just about to start crawling!

Lenses are:-

14-24 G
24-70 G
70-200 E
400 G
1.4iii TC
2.0iii TC

Any input from your experiences would help! Thanks!

Last edited:
Looking to get a D850 (with all the bits to get 9fps) this year, however, the only way I can budget for it would be to sell both our D500 and D810, leaving me with just the one body.

Now that it's been out for a little while, has anyone done the same thing? If so what are the pros and cons for you?

Only having one body is a worry for me but to be honest, I don't use them that often and at least it would remove worrying if I've go!t the right body on the lens.

If it helps I shoot mainly wildlife and landscapes but will be shooting a lot more of our little boy who is just about to start crawling!

Lenses are:-

14-24 G
24-70 G
70-200 E
400 G
1.4iii TC
2.0iii TC

Any input from your experiences would help! Thanks!

I did a px on my D810 to get the D850 and not disappointed in any way and am sure you would be over the moon!

For wildlife you get near on the 20mp in DX mode so that covers your D500 in terms of any gain you would have in terms of keeping it for a reach advantage? And of course in full frame it a 20% gain on your D810 so win win there.

Obviously the D850 doesn't quite have the buffer or the fps of the D500 but I never had any problems even with the D810 at 5fps and its small buffer for wildlife, you just learn to not machine gun shots for sake of it and end up with 30 frames near on identical to wade through ? The D850 though is a vast improvement with the buffer especially when using XQD cards which you may have already with your D500? Also the autofocus as I have stated in my previous post is a lot more snappy with the D850 over the D810 and for me the teleconverters work a lot better as well!

You will know yourself coming from the D810 the dynamic range is incredible and the D850 does not disappoint pulling detail from the blackest of shots with especially with wildlife as happens :)

I don't do landscapes and portraits so much so not well up on this area? But am sure it does not disappoint on that front looking at some of the real world reviews out there and not the first sponsored ones that we always see when a camera is launched

It really is a all in one solution now and I can't see any real disadvantage except the price if you insist on going to 9fps is a very expensive option for the 2fps gain? (unless you own the D4/D5 battery and charger already)

Look forward to your thoughts if you do make the jump :)

Is a D850 worth the Upgrade? I had a D810 and sold all my gear, a year later came back to it and bought a D750.

Been thinking of upgrading but not sure

Is a D850 worth the Upgrade? I had a D810 and sold all my gear, a year later came back to it and bought a D750.

As I posted above It just all round amazing camera but only if you can justify the price tag and get use out of the extra resolution etc? I wouldn't jump to it unless you are sure it is for you if that makes sense?

I'm in the same boat mate. Can get a D810 for £1600 and a D850 for about £1100 more. Currently still using a D700. Anyone got any views if a D850 is £1100 better than the D810? Thanks

I'm in the same boat mate. Can get a D810 for £1600 and a D850 for about £1100 more. Currently still using a D700. Anyone got any views if a D850 is £1100 better than the D810? Thanks

I think it all depends on what you will use it for only you know yourself if the extra is worth the ££££ The D810 is a bargain now from what it used to cost and still up there as one of Nikons best !

The D810 is a stunning camera and I loved mine so if the D850 had not come out I would not have changed it, but for me with wildlife it a worthy upgrade for the fps and better autofocus, bigger buffer etc but more so the megapixels as wildlife you can never as anyone will tell you get enough reach :)

I think it all depends on what you will use it for only you know yourself if the extra is worth the ££££ The D810 is a bargain now from what it used to cost and still up there as one of Nikons best !

The D810 is a stunning camera and I loved mine so if the D850 had not come out I would not have changed it, but for me with wildlife it a worthy upgrade for the fps and better autofocus, bigger buffer etc but more so the megapixels as wildlife you can never as anyone will tell you get enough reach :)

Yeh i can completely understand for wildlife it's very important. I think I'm going to go with the D810 and the extra money I will put towards a 135 Sigma Art. Lenses are definitely more important to me. Thanks for your input.

For me it was a no brainer, I'd been using D810's but was finding some limitations especially I was doing more video 4K video with my drone. I also had/have a X-T2 as a travel camera and the flip screen was so useful.

I was always happy with the D810 images and it is still an amazing camera but the extra features in the D850 are well worth the money imo, even little things like illuminated button when shooting at night, 4K timelapse etc. The focus on it is much better in low light, it's faster etc etc.

The extra mp's is plus and pretty stunning but it's everything else that makes this camera an amazing all rounder.

But.... it is expensive, if you can afford it then go for it!

I had the D700 and D800 and now the D850 and in every area there is improvement and when you add all those improvements up you know that you have a great camera

Mike

I did a px on my D810 to get the D850 and not disappointed in any way and am sure you would be over the moon!

For wildlife you get near on the 20mp in DX mode so that covers your D500 in terms of any gain you would have in terms of keeping it for a reach advantage? And of course in full frame it a 20% gain on your D810 so win win there.

Obviously the D850 doesn't quite have the buffer or the fps of the D500 but I never had any problems even with the D810 at 5fps and its small buffer for wildlife, you just learn to not machine gun shots for sake of it and end up with 30 frames near on identical to wade through ? The D850 though is a vast improvement with the buffer especially when using XQD cards which you may have already with your D500? Also the autofocus as I have stated in my previous post is a lot more snappy with the D850 over the D810 and for me the teleconverters work a lot better as well!

You will know yourself coming from the D810 the dynamic range is incredible and the D850 does not disappoint pulling detail from the blackest of shots with especially with wildlife as happens :)

I don't do landscapes and portraits so much so not well up on this area? But am sure it does not disappoint on that front looking at some of the real world reviews out there and not the first sponsored ones that we always see when a camera is launched

It really is a all in one solution now and I can't see any real disadvantage except the price if you insist on going to 9fps is a very expensive option for the 2fps gain? (unless you own the D4/D5 battery and charger already)

Look forward to your thoughts if you do make the jump :)

Thanks for that Mick, helps to confirm what I already know, guess it's just hesitating as I've only recently moved to Nikon and it feels a little as if I'm 'selling up' all over again! The main problem I'm currently having is choosing the right body to go on the 400 when I'm out shooting wildlife, choosing between the performance of the D500 and the image quality / narrower depth of field of the D810 and obviously the D850 removes that problem.

The buffer shouldn't be a problem as I tend to prefer short bursts over machine gunning, don't think the difference between 9fps and 10fps is worth worrying about and I have recently picked up the battery / charger / cover etc. which I can use on the current bodies too.

Think the only thing that might make a difference is the spread of the focus points, I do like using the ones on the edges quite a lot on the D500 and just a little concerned that the reduced coverage might make a difference?

With plenty of places now having stock, the grey prices are dropping almost daily now so when to buy one is the next thing to work out, would like to see a huge deal at the Photography Show but can't see it happening like it did last year with the 5D mk4!

Back