Nikon D850 - Owners Thread

Yeh i can completely understand for wildlife it's very important. I think I'm going to go with the D810 and the extra money I will put towards a 135 Sigma Art. Lenses are definitely more important to me. Thanks for your input.

Consider the d750.

As I posted above It just all round amazing camera but only if you can justify the price tag and get use out of the extra resolution etc? I wouldn't jump to it unless you are sure it is for you if that makes sense?

I'm really tempted by it, but I only Shoot Rig Shots and Cityscapes/Long exposures now.

Back when I had my D810 I was doing weddings, but gave it up due to work commitments

I'm in the same boat mate. Can get a D810 for £1600 and a D850 for about £1100 more. Currently still using a D700. Anyone got any views if a D850 is £1100 better than the D810? Thanks

I've owned a D810, Incredible camera. The D750 (my current cam) is just as good though.

I'd suggest for you, the D810 ☺

I'm really tempted by it, but I only Shoot Rig Shots and Cityscapes/Long exposures now.

Back when I had my D810 I was doing weddings, but gave it up due to work commitments

I've owned a D810, Incredible camera. The D750 (my current cam) is just as good though.

I'd suggest for you, the D810 ☺
I have the D750 and it is indeed a cracking camera. However I do find the AF spread limiting on a number of occasions when shooting wildlife and so end up having to crop to get the framing I want. Also shooting sports I sometimes reach the buffer limit, and finally I’m sometimes limited on reach, even with the 150-600mm. The D850 would solve these issues (I can crop more to effectively get more reach). The trouble is I can’t afford the D850, but if I could I couldn’t justify the £2k+ to change just for those benefits.

Anyone with a D850 used it with a 300 f4 PF and found cropping useful for wildlife?

I have the D750 and it is indeed a cracking camera. However I do find the AF spread limiting on a number of occasions when shooting wildlife and so end up having to crop to get the framing I want. Also shooting sports I sometimes reach the buffer limit, and finally I’m sometimes limited on reach, even with the 150-600mm.

Would a D500 as a supplemental camera not be worth considering. Fast AF, effective increase in focal length on crop reach on same glass and 10fps filling a big buffer. MPB have one in at £1300 at the moment leaving you £700 for a trip to enjoy it and still with the D750 for other types of shots.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing the D850- I've posted previously that I can see a couple of D850's with one grip being quite possibly the last bodies I think I'd need to buy. The siren song of the 46MP and the flippy screen for landscapes when the tripod's down low and my fat lardy a**e is struggling to get low and focus properly combined with 9fps with a grip for sports/ wildlife. But I can see that being more like when I trade in the D810 and D500 I currently have around the time the D860 comes out.

Would a D500 as a supplemental camera not be worth considering. Fast AF, effective increase in focal length on crop reach on same glass and 10fps filling a big buffer. MPB have one in at £1300 at the moment leaving you £700 for a trip to enjoy it and still with the D750 for other types of shots.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing the D850- I've posted previously that I can see a couple of D850's with one grip being quite possibly the last bodies I think I'd need to buy. The siren song of the 46MP and the flippy screen for landscapes when the tripod's down low and my fat lardy a**e is struggling to get low and focus properly combined with 9fps with a grip for sports/ wildlife. But I can see that being more like when I trade in the D810 and D500 I currently have around the time the D860 comes out.
The D500 would indeed be a good option but I kind of like the one body do it all rather than having multiple bodies. I already have the EM1 for travel, I don’t want yet another body tbh.

Well I said I couldn't justify it but after successfully selling a load of little used lenses and my tripod & gimbal on eBay, I took the plunge and am now the owner of a new D850 to accompany my D500.
One interesting point I have noticed is that there may well be a significant difference in the performance of the older EN-EL15 batteries that power my D500 and the newer EN-EL15a battery for the D850.
Whilst the new EN-EL15a was in the charger I put an EN-EL15 into the D850 and everything worked okay ... everything except AF on my older Nikon 28-70 f2.8 AF-S (aka The Beast'). With the EN-EL15 batteries in the D850 the lens would not AF at all but with the newer EN-EL15a battery in it, the lens would AF fine.

I had my old Sigma 120-300 on my D850 once and it was fine when using the older battery, bit seen any issues with that. Today i rang off around 8-10 shots in a sequence and couldnt get to view my images for ages, i wanted to review so i could make any necessay adjustments but couldnt get image view and nothing on the other buttons either- like a total blackout except i could still take pics. Im using the dastest Lexar XQD so dont think that was the issue but was able to repeat a galf hour later. Really strange. Temperture may have been an issue but doubt it.

How is the AF on the D850, could you sit at the bottom of a long jump pit photograph someone running towards you and as they flying through the air and land in the pit?

A big turn off for me is the D850 has no popup flash. So extra expense straight away if you don't own a seperate flashgun, and more to carry around. Just having purchase the D810 I am more than happy staying with it.

Add to the price an SB-910 flashgun @over £700 a camera like the D850 needs the best flashgun So camera @ £3490 makes a purchase of £4200 before any lenses to add on or a Nikon grip.
You are talking big bucks now
Grip £370
Lens for birding say 80 -400 being the minimum range @ £2100
Total so far around £5900 without memory cards.

Well out of the price range most can afford

Last edited:
Folks, im getting an error message on my new D850. It shows numbers “ 36- 24”. It takes images nomally but it wont let me review the image and none of the other buttons work either until it clears itself. High speed XQD card in, tried with 24-70,70-200,200-500 and 609f4 lenses still the same. It does clear but its a pain, any ideas?

Was trying to find the best price for a genuine EN-EL15a battery for the D850 and most places were around £69 but Nikon Store has them at £55 delivered. :)

A big turn off for me is the D850 has no popup flash. So extra expense straight away if you don't own a seperate flashgun, and more to carry around. Just having purchase the D810 I am more than happy staying with it.

Add to the price an SB-910 flashgun @over £700 a camera like the D850 needs the best flashgun So camera @ £3490 makes a purchase of £4200 before any lenses to add on or a Nikon grip.
You are talking big bucks now
Grip £370
Lens for birding say 80 -400 being the minimum range @ £2100
Total so far around £5900 without memory cards.

Well out of the price range most can afford

Wait to you add the high capacity battery (x2 and cover) to that list and personally I use the Godox 860 as my pop on flash and it does all I need not that I consider the camera as something to be used with a pop on flash

Mike

Well I said I couldn't justify it but after successfully selling a load of little used lenses and my tripod & gimbal on eBay, I took the plunge and am now the owner of a new D850 to accompany my D500.
One interesting point I have noticed is that there may well be a significant difference in the performance of the older EN-EL15 batteries that power my D500 and the newer EN-EL15a battery for the D850.
Whilst the new EN-EL15a was in the charger I put an EN-EL15 into the D850 and everything worked okay ... everything except AF on my older Nikon 28-70 f2.8 AF-S (aka The Beast'). With the EN-EL15 batteries in the D850 the lens would not AF at all but with the newer EN-EL15a battery in it, the lens would AF fine.

Well why the hell I wonder into here LOL..

Now we know you have a D500 and D850 I be interested to hear your though my friend

Close up unsharpened.jpg After a week testing and constantly adjusting i have the lens just about married to both the D4s and D850. This is a wild Golden Eagle shot wide open(f5.6) at around 450mm. I never used Flickr to upload as that seems to sharpen .

Goldie unsharpened.jpg

Last edited:
How is the AF on the D850, could you sit at the bottom of a long jump pit photograph someone running towards you and as they flying through the air and land in the pit?
Yea you can, the AF on this camera is amazing . just a tad below a d5 af though but good enough

A few observations from my week using the 200-500. It was my most used lens so i got a feel for it both handheld and on a tripod. The focus ring feels much more loose than im used to, the hood is a disgrace even for a cheaper lens like this.Auto focus is smooth from out of focus to focus but not snappy and it never caused any issues locking onto birds in flight unless it was user error( my bad). The lens foot is only just long enough to balance on my gimbal head without raising the gimbal centre of gravity. It feels good in the hand but to zoom from 200 to 500 is just to much hand movement and doubt i could do it in one turn. Optics are sharp but not harsh. At f5.6 its sharp enough for it to be my go to lens for many wildlife outings, the sweet spot is f7.1 to f8 where i dont requre to sharpen my images. I think i will keep hold of it for a while as its fine for the mountain treks where light isnt an issue. I will try adding a 300 PF f4 to the mix to give me more options in the mid focal range for when i can get close to subjects and will keep the 600f4 for more wary subjects but for the money i think buying the 200-500 was the correct decision.

A few observations from my week using the 200-500. It was my most used lens so i got a feel for it both handheld and on a tripod. The focus ring feels much more loose than im used to, the hood is a disgrace even for a cheaper lens like this.Auto focus is smooth from out of focus to focus but not snappy and it never caused any issues locking onto birds in flight unless it was user error( my bad). The lens foot is only just long enough to balance on my gimbal head without raising the gimbal centre of gravity. It feels good in the hand but to zoom from 200 to 500 is just to much hand movement and doubt i could do it in one turn. Optics are sharp but not harsh. At f5.6 its sharp enough for it to be my go to lens for many wildlife outings, the sweet spot is f7.1 to f8 where i dont requre to sharpen my images. I think i will keep hold of it for a while as its fine for the mountain treks where light isnt an issue. I will try adding a 300 PF f4 to the mix to give me more options in the mid focal range for when i can get close to subjects and will keep the 600f4 for more wary subjects but for the money i think buying the 200-500 was the correct decision.

Glad it worked well for you :)
I agree that the lens hood is poor but surprisingly I have not once had mine come off, even with it slung over my shoulder on the monopod.
I also agree that the zoom full turn is impossible in 1.
For the lens foot I got one of these, which is designed for the 200-500 and considerably cheaper than the Kirk replacement foot: https://www.bobrigby.com/wimberley/item/wimberley_p_30_lens_plate

D850 had its first trip out yesterday and was enjoyable to use.
I am impressed with the Dynamic Range and the Natural Light Auto WB, which seemed to produce much less harsh exposures than I often got with previous cameras

D850 had its first trip out yesterday and was enjoyable to use.
I am impressed with the Dynamic Range and the Natural Light Auto WB, which seemed to produce much less harsh exposures than I often got with previous cameras

How does the D500 auto focus compare to the D850, I expect it's better but is it miles ahead? Also is there a noticeable difference in buffer size?

I had a D750 at the moment and I really like full frame but I'd like slightly better AF and a better buffer. I'm torn between getting a D500 and keeping the D750 or just getting the jack of all trades D850.

How does the D500 auto focus compare to the D850, I expect it's better but is it miles ahead? Also is there a noticeable difference in buffer size?

I had a D750 at the moment and I really like full frame but I'd like slightly better AF and a better buffer. I'm torn between getting a D500 and keeping the D750 or just getting the jack of all trades D850.

The AF on the D500 is superb, I never missed a shot (ok I didn't always get tack sharp but I didn't get blurred birds), I've only used the D850 once and I did get a couple of blurred shots. I'm guessing it's because it was the first use and because, for example. Group Area AF is smaller in the viewfinder on the D500 than the D850 so it's a bit less forgiving on not getting focus point properly on the target.

Trying to find 64gb XQD cards at a decent price is proving hard. I'm currently using Lexar XQD 210mb/s 32gb cards and have found when reeling off shots at 9fps the camera is playing catchup when writing. A couple of times I've not been able take any further shots until the buffer is cleared? It's only a few seconds but to me that can be the difference between getting that shot and missing it completely.

If any of you guys/girls spot any good buys on 64gb xqd cards let us know.

best price I could get it for was £125 from amazon sd cards extreme pro 64GB 300MB/s £117 from amazon (expensive)

best price I could get it for was £125 from amazon sd cards extreme pro 64GB 300MB/s £117 from amazon (expensive)

Thanks Jake. Not long ago I picked up 64Gb Extreme Pro sd cards for less than £30. Prices seem to have rocketed!

Thanks Jake. Not long ago I picked up 64Gb Extreme Pro sd cards for less than £30. Prices seem to have rocketed!

Not uhs2 for that money surely. 64gb extreme pros are still around 35 quid.

Last edited:
Not xqd for that money.
They were SD cards. I picked up a couple of 32GB Lexar XQD cards but they're only 210mb/s. Went out today and hit the buffer again. If I get the 440mb/s read/write xqd cards hopefully that will help.

Hmm.
Seems the 850 is quite a camera, from what I've read and watched..
So, a question to those of you who have one, and have also owned either or both a D750 and a D500.
Can you, please, as actual owners rather than reviewers give a me a short list of what makes the D850 so much better than either of the others.

There is a reason for me asking - I have had a 750 for a couple of years, just got a used 500 (which after just a few days is already becoming may favourite) but really ought to only keep one, but hey, I could get rid of both and learn how to cope with just one 850 at a push...
Obviously this depends on what you guys say, so careful please, as this is my wallet you are hitting..!

Back