Nikon D850 - Owners Thread

I'm not sure it will help much, but my Sigma 150-600 works perfectly fine on my D850..
Thanks, yeah that does help actually as I believe some Sigma users reported the same issue. It appeared on the D500 not enough light reached the AF module past circa 520mm. Based on this it would appear that the D850 doesn’t suffer the same issue then.

Thanks, yeah that does help actually as I believe some Sigma users reported the same issue. It appeared on the D500 not enough light reached the AF module past circa 520mm. Based on this it would appear that the D850 doesn’t suffer the same issue then.
Mine also worked fine with my D500.. Still not sure I'm helping!

Mine also worked fine with my D500.. Still not sure I'm helping!
Oh, then no you’re not ;) :p You definitely tried all AF points including the extreme corners?

Guess I need to try my Tamron on a D850 to be sure.

Oh, then no you’re not ;) :p You definitely tried all AF points including the extreme corners?

Guess I need to try my Tamron on a D850 to be sure.
I'm pretty sure I tried the extreme corners, but will check again later today - either way I'd hate you to buy a D850 on my word, so yes, take your lens along to a shop first.
I AM trying to help !!!

I'm pretty sure I tried the extreme corners, but will check again later today - either way I'd hate you to buy a D850 on my word, so yes, take your lens along to a shop first.
I AM trying to help !!!
Lol I know, and I appreciate it (y)

I stand corrected and apologize - my Sigma`150-600 C does NOT focus using the extreme corners when zoomed in over about 500mm - I guess I hadn't tried zooming so far. It works fine up to that point, and I guess that is where I made my mistake.
Don't let that put you off buying the camera though...

Having left The Photography Show with a D850, I'm now grip hunting, does anyone have any experience with any non-genuine ones?

The really annoying thing is that it is the same as the D500 one, they've just put a plastic stopper in there to stop you using it!

Seriously considering adapting the MB-D17 instead of selling it!

f0029a5d73714af39a9fce93076afc75

It could be stopping you using it for a reason. :)

I stand corrected and apologize - my Sigma`150-600 C does NOT focus using the extreme corners when zoomed in over about 500mm - I guess I hadn't tried zooming so far. It works fine up to that point, and I guess that is where I made my mistake.
Don't let that put you off buying the camera though...

Thanks for this. That's a shame tbh as it's kind of a step backwards in some regards as I don't have that issue with my D750. It appears that whilst Nikon have made the AF spread much wider it's come at a consequence :( Whilst I'm not sure it's a deal breaker it is something I'm going to have to consider. One of the reasons for wanting to upgrade to the D850 was for the AF spread as sometimes I can't compose my wildlife shots as I'd want due to the small AF spread of the D750. I know that I could shoot at 500mm and due to the extra res still get more effective reach than the D750 but not as much as I was hoping. Also, it might impact on future Tamron/Sigma lenses that I might buy in the future. As I say, probably not a deal breaker but I need to consider it (y)

Can you use the EN-EL15a battery in the MB-D18 grip as well as the En-EL18b? Obviously this won't give 9fps, but just as an extra battery.

Last edited:
Right so the D850 doesn't have an inbuilt flash so how would I go about using the CLS system, do I need to buy another flash to go on the camera to trigger the off camera flash? If so I may as well go with triggers hadn't I as this would be cheaper, although I guess I couldn't control the flash in camera using triggers?

Right so the D850 doesn't have an inbuilt flash so how would I go about using the CLS system, do I need to buy another flash to go on the camera to trigger the off camera flash? If so I may as well go with triggers hadn't I as this would be cheaper, although I guess I couldn't control the flash in camera using triggers?
I am using the d850 with sb 800 and sb 900 off camera with the godox xpro triger and a couple off godox x1r receivers all good

I am using the d850 with sb 800 and sb 900 off camera with the godox xpro triger and a couple off godox x1r receivers all good
Thanks. I've never used triggers tbh, only CLS. How do you control the flash power, can you still do it in camera or do you have to change it on the flash itself? Can you still use TTL if you wanted? (can't see when, but always useful to know ;))

Thanks. I've never used triggers tbh, only CLS. How do you control the flash power, can you still do it in camera or do you have to change it on the flash itself? Can you still use TTL if you wanted? (can't see when, but always useful to know ;))
you can set the tigger to TTL or manual adjust it on the controllers

you can set the tigger to TTL or manual adjust it on the controller think there is a thread on the talk lighting
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/mixing-speedlights-nikon-example.672872/

Can you use the EN-EL15a battery in the MB-D18 grip as well as the En-EL18b? Obviously this won't give 9fps, but just as an extra battery.
Does anyone have the answer to this please?

Does anyone have the answer to this please?

Yes you can, the OEM grip comes with both trays (En-EL15a & 'Enelopes') ... you need a BL-5 to use it with EN-EL18 or 18a. :)

Ah, started to consider a D850 instead of Sony but that lets the side down
It you want good live view AF you either need mirrorless or Canon's dual pixel. It's my biggest gripe with Nikon. Maybe once they develop their mirrorless and get to grips with on sensor phase detection they may introduce it into DSLR before it dies.

when would you use AF in live view. other than say for landscape type stuff or bugs portable top stuff thats using manual focus as a rule? so does it matter?

It you want good live view AF you either need mirrorless or Canon's dual pixel. It's my biggest gripe with Nikon. Maybe once they develop their mirrorless and get to grips with on sensor phase detection they may introduce it into DSLR before it dies.

Maybe they are offering best image quality by avoiding sensor design issues like pdaf striping.... considering they use Sony sensors.

when would you use AF in live view. other than say for landscape type stuff or bugs portable top stuff thats using manual focus as a rule? so does it matter?
I guess it's just for times when you want to shoot with the camera above your head, or low to the ground but still want good AF. I use live view quite a bit on my EM1, but then that's small and light and you just naturally use it that way sometimes. TBH with a DSLR I never feel that I want to use it in LV other than landscapes as you say.

Maybe they are offering best image quality by avoiding sensor design issues like pdaf striping.... considering they use Sony sensors.
Maybe, but then why not design something like Canon's dual pixel tech? But even if they just stuck to contrast detect most cameras (Olympus, Panasonic etc etc) have lighting fast AF-S, Nikon DSLRs don't even have fast AF-S. I'm sure there's a reason, just not sure why.

Maybe, but then why not design something like Canon's dual pixel tech? But even if they just stuck to contrast detect most cameras (Olympus, Panasonic etc etc) have lighting fast AF-S, Nikon DSLRs don't even have fast AF-S. I'm sure there's a reason, just not sure why.

Because they don't have sensor manufacturing facilities like Canon?

Useful if shooting under a fence with the camera on the deck and the tilt-screen out!

GC

Back