Nikon D850 - Owners Thread

Yep. We get a huge amount of bees in our garden so dead ones are quite common. Don’t think it would have stood there for 25 shots.

Does anybody shoot the D850 in sraw or mraw? What a waste I know but...

If so how is the quality of the smaller raw files?

I may stretch the budget from an 810 to an 850 for the better af system and I don’t need 46mp!

I’m sure I could get used to it!

Does anybody shoot the D850 in sraw or mraw? What a waste I know but...

If so how is the quality of the smaller raw files?

I may stretch the budget from an 810 to an 850 for the better af system and I don’t need 46mp!

I’m sure I could get used to it!

I use MRAW when doing event photography, weddings, etc.
Used it for my holiday photos in Spain last week as didn't want to be using 45mp files on my iPad either.

The MRAWs look just as good as anything that have come out of my D750.

I use MRAW when doing event photography, weddings, etc.
Used it for my holiday photos in Spain last week as didn't want to be using 45mp files on my iPad either.

The MRAWs look just as good as anything that have come out of my D750.
I use 12 bit uncompressed RAW if I want smaller files, I think there's more room for PP with 12 bit over mRAW?

Weather wasn't great at YWP yesterday and it was insanely busy (far too busy in fact) probably due to it being on telly all last week, but at least I got to see the new Brown Bears. Done a great job rescuing them from diabolical enclosures in Japan :mad:

DSC_0038
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_0069 by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_0189 by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_0321 by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_0430 by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_0443 by TDG-77, on Flickr

Can I ask which type/brand of XQD card people on here prefer? It will mainly be used for landscapes, no videos.

I've been with the D810 for a couple of years now and having held on for the announcement of the FF mirrorless which I can't say has really impressed me, I'm taking the plunge and upgrading to the D850. I've tried to resist but I've now watched so many videos all telling me how good the D850 is, I want one.

Last edited:
Can I ask which type/brand of QXD card people on here prefer? It will mainly be used for landscapes, no videos.

I've been with the D810 for a couple of years now and having held on for the announcement of the FF mirrorless which I can't say has really impressed me, I'm taking the plunge and upgrading to the D850. I've tried to resist but I've now watched so many videos all telling me how good the D850 is, I want one.

Sony XQD for me, I use the G Series cards but not cheap at around £139 for a 64GB card. :(
There are still some Lexar cards around but their fate is up in the air at the moment following Lexar's demise and the new owners still not confirming their intentions.

Can I ask which type/brand of QXD card people on here prefer? It will mainly be used for landscapes, no videos.

Sony XQD for me, I use the G Series cards but not cheap at around £139 for a 64GB card. :(
There are still some Lexar cards around but their fate is up in the air at the moment following Lexar's demise and the new owners still not confirming their intentions.

Same here the G series but only because I shoot wildlife and need the fast speed for the buffer, tbh I would just try your SD cards if you only shooting landscape, there no rush to spend any more ££££ if you don't need the extra speed?

Go for the cheaper Sony ones as you don't need the write speed, or lexar ones if they ever bring them out again (keep getting delayed). If you don't use backup then just shoot with SD.

I use the slower Sony XQD M Series (Read 400mb/s write 150mb/s) and shoot sports and wildlife, and whilst I don't get the 53 shot buffer quoted with the fast cards I still get circa 25 14 bit lossless RAW, and circa 32 12 bit lossless RAW which is plenty for me.

Thanks for the help and advice, really appreciated. Another question if I may, I still use the brilliant Lexar card reader for the D810 cards, is there a different type of card reader for the XQD cards or do you download from the camera?

Last edited:
Thanks for the help and advice, really appreciated. Another question if I may, I still use the brilliant Lexar card reader for the D810 cards, is there a different type of card reader for the XQD cards or do you download from the camera?

If it worked with your D810 cards you should be fine.

But the D810 doesn't take XQD does it? :confused:
Oops, no it doesn't it's CF ... how time flies :oops: :$
However if it's a recent camera that has used XQD the Lexar reader should be fine, the only problem could be with an older, original reader using the newest XQD cards.

I think I completely misunderstood your question and consequently gave a wrong answer previously.
The card reader for your D810 won't be suitable for XQD cards as they are totally different to the CF & SD the D810 uses, so you will need a reader for XQD, the one snerkler linked to is fine.
If on the other hand you do have an older XQD card reader, (1st generation), there may be issues with using it with the new generation XQD cards.
@FiestaRed

Roger, Toby, thanks again for all the help and advice. It is really appreciated.

For the last few months I've been a bit unsure which way to turn, looking at different mirrorless systems to try and lighten my load and, at the same time thinking about the D850. Now I looked more at what the D850 has to offer, I've eventually made my mind up. I'm especially looking forward to the tilting rear screen as my poor old knees have never enjoyed crouching down trying and view the screen on low shots. Maybe a future generation Nikon will have a screen that tilts on both planes the way the Fuji one does, but that's food for thought.

Couple from Padley Gorge today. Think I went a bit early as the leaves haven't started turning yet :facepalm:

DSC_0009
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_0022
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Thanks to all the help on here, I picked up my D850 yesterday. Now, while I'm waiting for the L-Bracket, XQD card and card reader to arrive, I got to thinking about the touch screen. On my D810 I have one of the brilliant 0.5mm glass screen covers from Larmor but with the D850 having a touch screen, I'm not sure if it can be covered or even if it needs to be covered.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all the help on here, I picked up my D850 yesterday. Now, while I'm waiting for the L-Bracket, XQD card and card reader to arrive, I got to thinking about the touch screen. On my D810 I have one of the brilliant 0.5mm glass screen covers from Larmor but with the D850 having a touch screen, I'm not sure if it can be covered or even if it needs to be covered.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I used a usual Larmor/GGS cover on the D850 and it worked fine, I’d certainly keep the screen covered.

I used a usual Larmor/GGS cover on the D850 and it worked fine, I’d certainly keep the screen covered.

I'm still not sure how touch screen mobiles and tablets work. I have no covers on my phone or iPad but I feel my camera screen is more likely to get knocked than either of those so I'll look at the Larmor screen again.

I'm still not sure how touch screen mobiles and tablets work. I have no covers on my phone or iPad but I feel my camera screen is more likely to get knocked than either of those so I'll look at the Larmor screen again.
I always just use these, whether it be phone, camera or something else. My phone one ends up with scratches on it, but they're cheap enough to replace and much cheaper than a screen (y)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07577QY4B/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

New to the D850 and I'm getting a bit confused with release modes. On the D810 I always use Live View, single shot when I'm taking landscapes, now, with the D850 I have the option for Silent Mode when in Live View. Does anyone use this at all, there's also Mup which I've never used, I'm not even sure what it does to be honest.

Last edited:
New to the D850 and I'm getting a bit confused with release modes. On the D810 I always use Live View, single shot when I'm taking landscapes, now, with the D850 I have the option for Silent Mode when in Live View. Does anyone use this at all, there's also Mup which I've never used, I'm not even sure what it does to be honest.
Silent mode uses electronic first and second curtain ie no mechanical shutter. In theory images may be sharper than ‘standard’ shooting as there’s no risk of shutter shock, not that I’ve seen this with the D850.

Mup I believe is more for when shooting through OVF to stop mirror movement causing shake. When using live view the mirror is up already. I’m not sure if one, both or neither use electronic first curtain, or whether you have to select this separately. I’ll look into it later.

Thanks for the reply Toby.

Thanks for the reply Toby.
Ok so looking into this the only modes where you can use electronic first curtain are the Quiet modes and mirror up, but I can’t find any info as to whether this includes use during live view.

I’ve also read that in live view the sequence of events when you press the shutter is that the shutter closes, reopens and then closes again, which obviously can introduce camera shake. With mirrorup you can use electronic first curtain and hence pretty much negate shutter shock, and the silent which is full electronic curtains and hence no shutter shock. However, you can get rolling shutter effects with full electronic curtains although this is very unlikely to affect landscapes, although what effect it will have on slow shutter landscape shots I don’t know.

I’m going to have a play at some point and see if you can use electronic first curtain in live view without using Mup, but in the meantime maybe @sk66 can shed some light on it as he’s clued up on the technical things.

I see that Delkin have released XQD cards, 64gb ones are only a tenner cheaper than Sony G series though :(

First time out with the D850, thanks for all the help and advice. I still have one or two different things to try, especially with the shutter release.

Early Morning Edensor - A cold and windy start to the morning in Edensor Village on the Chatsworth House estate in Derbyshire. The morning got better with a warm welcome from the villagers and just seeing the great buildings.

Edensor Village by Mike Swain, on Flickr

First time out with the D850, thanks for all the help and advice. I still have one or two different things to try, especially with the shutter release.

Early Morning Edensor - A cold and windy start to the morning in Edensor Village on the Chatsworth House estate in Derbyshire. The morning got better with a warm welcome from the villagers and just seeing the great buildings.

Edensor Village by Mike Swain, on Flickr
Very nice, do you live this way then?

Is this HDR/multiple exposure, the detail looks incredible?

Very nice, do you live this way then?

Is this HDR/multiple exposure, the detail looks incredible?

Thanks Toby,

I live in Darkest Derbyshire, not too far from Ashover and just outside Clay Cross. The image was just a single shot, I had been trying the Mup, and Silent Modes to see how much difference they made. This was taken using the Sl1 setting but as I didn't hear the shutter release at all, I thought it hadn't worked so I took another. It is as quiet as they claim.

Thanks Toby,

I live in Darkest Derbyshire, not too far from Ashover and just outside Clay Cross. The image was just a single shot, I had been trying the Mup, and Silent Modes to see how much difference they made. This was taken using the Sl1 setting but as I didn't hear the shutter release at all, I thought it hadn't worked so I took another. It is as quiet as they claim.
I know the area well, I was born and raised in Wingerworth (y)

You obviously have great PP skills to bring out the detail the way you do (y)

Toby, great to hear you're from nearby. I always have to show my passport when I go into Wingerworth, such a beautiful area. One of my favourite places for a sunset is across the water looking towards the Smithy Pond pub

Toby, great to hear you're from nearby. I always have to show my passport when I go into Wingerworth, such a beautiful area. One of my favourite places for a sunset is across the water looking towards the Smithy Pond pub
That was my playground when I was very young, between the aged of about 3-7 I lived about 300 yards down the road from where the Smithy Pond now is, we then moved on to Longedge Lane. Stubbing Court Pond makes for some nice photos too (y). I moved away when I was 21 but moved back to Chesterfield about 9 years ago, although now on the other side of town overlooking Holmebrook Valley Park.

Back