Nikon D850 - Owners Thread

All great shots Toby but I love this one. I would have taken him home with me.
Thanks very much. We were very tempted to sneak him into the back fo the car ;)

Thanks to all. I've taken the plunge and ordered the Ex Pro battery. Once I've used it for a while I'll check back here and let you know how it performs
Well, it's been a while but at least I've given my two Ex Pro EN-EL15 equivalent batteries a fair (but non-scientific) test. It's my opinion that they are comparable with the EN-EL15 but perhaps not quite so good as EN-EL15a, but certainly worth the money.

Sunrise With Freddie

Just back from a great holiday up and down the East Coast where I was lucky enough to see brilliant sunrises every morning. This one, over Scarborough's North Bay I got to share with the king sized statue of Freddie Gilroy who didn't seem to mind me being there at all.

Freddie Sunrise by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Only just seen this shot Sir, "Cracking" presentation.(y)

George.

Only just seen this shot Sir, "Cracking" presentation.(y)

George.
Thanks George, when you've got a decent subject, it's so much easier to come up with a reasonable image.

Selfie Series

A recent trend seems to be to add figures into a landscape to give an idea of scale so I thought I'd give it a try. Only problem is I'm always out on my own in the early mornings, so unfortunately, I need to do selfies. Doing this turned out to be far harder than I thought as you've no idea where you are standing in the photo and it takes a couple of goes to get anywhere near the right place. This one is at the Tea Pot overlooking Scarborough's South Bay.

Scarborough South Bay II by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Selfie Series

A recent trend seems to be to add figures into a landscape to give an idea of scale so I thought I'd give it a try. Only problem is I'm always out on my own in the early mornings, so unfortunately, I need to do selfies. Doing this turned out to be far harder than I thought as you've no idea where you are standing in the photo and it takes a couple of goes to get anywhere near the right place. This one is at the Tea Pot overlooking Scarborough's South Bay.

Scarborough South Bay II by Mike Swain, on Flickr
Beautiful Mike, gorgeous light and composition.

Have you owned the Nikkor 24-70mm lens long, how do you like it? I quite fancied aiming for a fixed prime wide angle, such as the Nikkor 20mm f2.8G, but think a short zoom for most landscape photography would fit the bill. Any thoughts/experience/advice appreciated.

Peter

Beautiful Mike, gorgeous light and composition.

Have you owned the Nikkor 24-70mm lens long, how do you like it? I quite fancied aiming for a fixed prime wide angle, such as the Nikkor 20mm f2.8G, but think a short zoom for most landscape photography would fit the bill. Any thoughts/experience/advice appreciated.

Peter

Thanks Peter. Another of the problems I had with the "selfies" was keeping still as most of the shots I took were early morning needing reasonably long exposures.

When I was concentrating on my wildlife photography, I only had primes, mainly from 35mm up to 500mm. They're very sharp and simple to use but when I got interested in landscapes, I bought the three Nikon favourites 14-24 24-70 and the 70-200 2.8 zooms. I don't think they're as sharp as the primes I had as they're a compromise but I do like their versatility.

Beeley Moor Sunrise

This morning's sunrise and hanging mist lighting up the valley on Beeley Moor near Chesterfield in Derbyshire.

Beeley Moor Flickr by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Another from the "Selfie" series. For a change, I enjoyed this one, mainly because I had the whole of Scarborough's Spa Complex more or less to myself and, luckily, I caught a small crescent of the moon which I hadn't noticed when taking the shot.

Scarborough Spa Flickr by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thank you James, really appreciate the comments. One of those morning's when you're really pleased you got up early.

Seeing my 7D2 has bit the dust-again! And I am so miffed off over this (understatement of the year) I went down to the local harbour for a walk and a beer or three and started talking to a guy that had a Nikon camera, it turned out to be a D850 and fair play to him he let me have a blast with it, I think he said it had the 80-400 lens fitted ?? I have to say being a Canon fan boy I was more than extremely impressed. The camera owner is German and his English is as good as my German but I'm sure he said this combo worked very well with extenders too. Dam you Mr Nikon.:(

Thanks Peter. Another of the problems I had with the "selfies" was keeping still as most of the shots I took were early morning needing reasonably long exposures.

When I was concentrating on my wildlife photography, I only had primes, mainly from 35mm up to 500mm. They're very sharp and simple to use but when I got interested in landscapes, I bought the three Nikon favourites 14-24 24-70 and the 70-200 2.8 zooms. I don't think they're as sharp as the primes I had as they're a compromise but I do like their versatility.
So which primes would you suggest Mike for quality landscape photography......ignoring short zooms might you recommended ?

Cheers;
Peter

So which primes would you suggest Mike for quality landscape photography......ignoring short zooms might you recommended ?

Cheers;
Peter

Hello Peter, the only prime I've tried recently for landscape photography was the Nikkor 24mm 1.8G lens and I found it to be very good in just about all departments. Sorry I can't help with any different ones, maybe others on here may use primes and will be along shortly with their views.

Mist on the Cromford Canal, the early morning mist rises from the Cromford Canal near Matlock Bath in Derbyshire

Cromford Mist by Mike Swain, on Flickr

George, Peter, James, thanks for all the kind words, really appreciated. I think I'm pretty lucky with the local scenery I have in and around Derbyshire and when you've got something to work with it's half the battle and makes the day so much more enjoyable.

Last Of The Summer Wine - I met these three elderly gentlemen walking their dogs in Whitworth Park at Darley Dale, in Derbyshire this morning. All stopped to say hello and pass the time of day, isn't friendship a great thing. What a brilliant way to spend a morning.

Whitworth Park Flickr by Mike Swain, on Flickr

For shooting with the D810 is there an extended (larger) eye-cup you can buy to replace the standard one..? If so where's the best place to look at buying one please?

Cheers;
Peter

This formation I'm told is a "drumlin" and it's known locally as Peak Tor. It stands just outside the town of Bakewell in Derbyshire.

Peak Tor by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Some fabulous images in this thread!! :clap:

Got mine yesterday (from KCSGear) but I've been working ever since it arrived :mad:. Having said that I'll be shooting women's field hockey on Saturday with it so I'll get a good feel for it then. Quite a step up from my D300 which I still absolutely love, but is definitely showing its age now.

Some fabulous images in this thread!! :clap:

Got mine yesterday (from KCSGear) but I've been working ever since it arrived :mad:. Having said that I'll be shooting women's field hockey on Saturday with it so I'll get a good feel for it then. Quite a step up from my D300 which I still absolutely love, but is definitely showing its age now.
who do you shoot? I thought the National League had finished for Xmas?

Just popped in here to have a nose.. I must say there some Fabulous pictures being posted in here.. Keep up the good work guys

who do you shoot? I thought the National League had finished for Xmas?
Oh just my wife in her local town's team which is in some rinkity dink backwater league :D (and it's in the UK)

Does anyone know if there is an alternate to the Fluorine-coated viewfinder eyepiece DK-17F that limits the screw in requirements. The D5 has a slot in viewfinder that eyecups can then attach to rather than straigh onto the camera. Is there any adopter type accessory that could effectively do the same?

Does anyone know if there is an alternate to the Fluorine-coated viewfinder eyepiece DK-17F that limits the screw in requirements. The D5 has a slot in viewfinder that eyecups can then attach to rather than straigh onto the camera. Is there any adopter type accessory that could effectively do the same?
Maybe a quick call to 'Grays Of Westminster' (Nikon) might help your query.

Regards;
Peter

Mist over Clay Cross

Taken from the churchyard at St Bartholomews in Clay Cross, looking over the valley below. The trees poking out of the mist are at Handley Hill, just above Ogston reservoir.

A bit spooky I know and considering the app on my phone told me it was the perfect evening for a sunset, it didn't turn out quite as I'd expected it to.

Clay Cross Mist by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Santa Special

Another great morning spent with Peak Rail in Darley Dale and their Santa Special train rides. For me, probably the best value experience at Christmas time. All the kids gets presents from Santa, Mums and Dads get Mulled Wine and Mince Pies and there's bands and entertainers of all description on the journey. Brilliant.

Santa Special by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Back