Nikon D850 - Owners Thread

anyone using the sign 50-500mm os on the d850??
whats it like for image iq ?

The weir on the river Wye at Bakewell in Derbyshire.

The Millenium bridge I was on is probably now more famous for the thousands of "love locks" that adorn it. Love them or loathe them, the locks, along with other things certainly draw the tourists into Bakewell. The car parks were solid today.

Bakewell Weir by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Out today for a 110 mile motorcycle ride, making most of the warm/dry weather here in Central Scotland. Enjoying my nearly eleven year old Suzuki V-Strom DL1000.
First time using my newly purchased Nikkor 24-120mm f4 - lens bought from Doug from this Parish.
This is a beautiful mountain road called Glen Quaich which is ten miles length and eventually brings you into Kenmore which touches onto Loch Tay.

Glen Quaich - Scotland by APM Photography, on Flickr

Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 - @ f/4.5 - iso 80 - handheld - @ 24mm end

D850 tilt screen (no display) query;

Was out today on a eight mile country walk with wife & dog etc, had the D850 and Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 lens with me.

Problem is I wanted to take a few photo's with the rear tilt screen out from its housing, but when pulled out there was NO display on the rear screen, I didn't use Liveview button for any shots........but with the tilt screen pulled out it had no display....(???)

So without using Liveview can you actually view a shot via the rear screen whilst it's pulled out from its housing does anyone know please .....?? Annoying ok.
Can anyone shed any light on this problem please, appreciated.

Cheers;
Peter

D850 tilt screen (no display) query;

Was out today on a eight mile country walk with wife & dog etc, had the D850 and Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 lens with me.

Problem is I wanted to take a few photo's with the rear tilt screen out from its housing, but when pulled out there was NO display on the rear screen, I didn't use Liveview button for any shots........but with the tilt screen pulled out it had no display....(???)

So without using Liveview can you actually view a shot via the rear screen whilst it's pulled out from its housing does anyone know please .....?? Annoying ok.
Can anyone shed any light on this problem please, appreciated.

Cheers;
Peter
You have to activate live view to get an image on the screen whether it’s in its housing or tilted, that’s how any D-SLR works. To get any image on the screen you have to flip the mirror up, which means using the live view button. DSLR’s don’t automatically swap between VF and LCD like mirrorless (y)

You have to activate live view to get an image on the screen whether it’s in its housing or tilted, that’s how any D-SLR works. To get any image on the screen you have to flip the mirror up, which means using the live view button. DSLR’s don’t automatically swap between VF and LCD like mirrorless (y)
Ah right.......thanks for that, I actually thought the rear screen was broken/defective. Appreciate your fast reply/advice/knowledge...!!

Regards;
Peter

Haven't had my D850 in my hands for over 2 weeks!
Got taken in with a heart attack and within 12 hrs went down with Pancreatitis and a lung infection.
Need to restore my strength now before anymore trips out with the camera and a gallbladder removal operation.
Not the best 2 weeks in my life but on the positive side, I lost more body weight than the combined weight of my kit :)
Only just seen this Roger, I hope your on the mend now and you will soon be back out there snapping the spring species :)

Only just seen this Roger, I hope your on the mend now and you will soon be back out there snapping the spring species :)
Thanks Adam, 1st trip out was on Friday and will brave the fog this morning in the hope it will lift quickly. :)

gramps;

Slow and steady regards your health is the best way, glad your getting out, really hope your on the mend and feeling better/stronger soon...!!

I did my first ten mile country walk yesterday in quite a few years since my own health issues, it felt so good. Getting there - simply fabulous..!!

Onwards and upwards.

Best wishes;
Peter

We headed out for a ten mile country walk yesterday with our border collie to the Trossachs, Aberfoyle, such a beautiful part of Central Scotland. Was quite overcast for most of the day for landscape photography but chanced it with this capture.

Dukes Pass - Aberfoyle by APM Photography, on Flickr

Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 - iso 64 - handheld - @ f/9

Last edited:
As a tourist attraction, Bakewell is quite high on the list of Derbyshire towns people like to visit. It was only today that I realised how busy it gets and it wasn't even market day.

Trying to photograph an empty bridge near a junction of three main roads was almost impossible with cars coming from what seemed every direction. Although I stood for almost an hour, I think I managed only a handful of shots that were traffic free. Not sure what the monument was for as all the plaques had been removed.

Bakewell II by Mike Swain, on Flickr

I contacted the Bakewell Tourist Information office and they very kindly let me have more information on what I now know is "Cross's Folly".

Cross's Folly Bakewell

Cross's Folly on Station Road in Bakewell was built in the 19th century with money donated by Robert Cross to commemorate Bakewell having a water supply from nearby Wicksop Wood.

Cross's Folly was listed in 1974 and renovated in 2000 probably as a millennium project by the Bakewell Town Council with Lottery money.

Hardwick Hall Park- The trees in the fields around Hardwick Hall near Chesterfield in Derbyshire being threatened by the dark and cloudy skies. Good to see whatever crop that is starting to show through.

Hardwick Trees by Mike Swain, on Flickr

is there anyway i can get my iMac photos to open raw files from my nikon d850 ?
at present i have to import them into affinity photo then export them to photos
is a very slow way to do it

is there anyway i can get my iMac photos to open raw files from my nikon d850 ?
at present i have to import them into affinity photo then export them to photos
is a very slow way to do it

Latest version has direct support, I can import them straight into Photos with no issues.

my iMac 1s about 18months old is there an update ?
Most Photos updates come with OS updates these days which might mean you need to update your OS, we’re running Mojave if that helps.

Looks like my D850 has bitten the dust. Never knocked it or got wet and suddenly quite a few things stopped working today. Menu and play will not operate, AF mode can't be changed, light doesn't work on power button, 10 pin no longer works and live view not working. I bought from a mate who bought from ProGadget who look like they have just done a runner looking at their recent appalling ebay history. Any advice welcome, I tried hooking up by Snapbridge which oddly told me there was a firmware needed today before the camera stopped working. I tried an HMDI too and used different lenses, batteries and cards all of which are working on my D810

Looks like my D850 has bitten the dust. Never knocked it or got wet and suddenly quite a few things stopped working today. Menu and play will not operate, AF mode can't be changed, light doesn't work on power button, 10 pin no longer works and live view not working. I bought from a mate who bought from ProGadget who look like they have just done a runner looking at their recent appalling ebay history. Any advice welcome, I tried hooking up by Snapbridge which oddly told me there was a firmware needed today before the camera stopped working. I tried an HMDI too and used different lenses, batteries and cards all of which are working on my D810

Sorry to hear this ... have you tried another fully charged battery?

Not sure if it will help, but can you try the two button reset using the green marked buttons on the top left and right of camera??? https://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-a...tton-reset-feature-on-nikon-dslr-cameras.html

my iMac 1s about 18months old is there an update ?
Do you shoot raw+jpeg or raw only? Photos shows jpegs by default but you can change the settings to show/use raw by default.

i shoot both jpeg and raw
so where do you alter the settings in photos ?

i shoot both jpeg and raw
so where do you alter the settings in photos ?
IIRC you open a photo, click edit then choose raw. From memory this then makes raw the default for all the pics. I’ll double check tomorrow if I remember (y)

anyone have an idea what a 12 month old uk bought d850 with 6733 shutter count is worth
im thinking of selling

Out testing my new 400mm F2.8. It is my ultimate lens but I had to settle for one of the older pre VR versions. Really happy with it so far and it is lovely and sharp wide open and takes the 1.4x really well too. It's a heavy best but gets on well with a gripped D850 that I got from these pages a day or so back. Can't wait to try sport starting with my sons Rugby on Saturday.
Brooke by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Last edited:
anyone have an idea what a 12 month old uk bought d850 with 6733 shutter count is worth
im thinking of selling
I just bought one with Nikon grip and two extra batteries with similar shutter count for £1625 on these pages. The D810s are starting to appear regularly on ebay for low £800s and that will drag the price of the D850s down. They are great value for £1600 lightly used

Back