Nikon D850 - Owners Thread

any one here rich i mean lucky enough to have the d850 and the z7
looking for a wee comparison on how the match up to one another
i have an itch for the z7

I just bought one with Nikon grip and two extra batteries with similar shutter count for £1625 on these pages. The D810s are starting to appear regularly on ebay for low £800s and that will drag the price of the D850s down. They are great value for £1600 lightly used
Wow you got a steal. Clearly people don't do their research as I've just been offered more than this by an online store for just the camera (boxed with original accessories) in mint condition but with 29k shutter count.

Me too. The conclusion that I've reached from extensive research is that the D850 is by far and away a better camera in every area apart from IQ, where it's pretty much a tie. The D850 has better viewfinder AF (in terms of speed, especially low light), better AF modes, better frame rate (with AF and AE), two card slots, and better battery life. The one big thing for me is I prefer the mirrorless form factor, I much prefer using my EM1-II over my D850, and the Z6/7 has similar form and ergonomics to the EM1.

I think with it being a first version/outing release it not quite the D850 rival/competitor it was hyped up to be?

By the time they get to the Mk2 or 3 it may be well up there, but from the reports and reviews it certainly not there yet. Having moved all the way from the D800 to D810 then finally the D850 I certainly wouldn't swap it for a first outing from Nikon into the full frame mirrorless world

A very rare use of flash for me. I have been looking for a shot like this for a few weeks and most of the elements came together tonight. Only had a minute or two of light to play with and the kids, wife and dog rarely manage to walk in an aesthetically pleasing formation. I'm pleased with it but there is a big emotional draw for me - I love that dog lol
Family by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

All Saints Church - Bakewell

Perched high on the hill just outside Bakewell town centre in the beautiful church of All Saints. Been to Bakewell hundreds of times but a first visit to the church. I will go again though.

All Saints Bakewell by Mike Swain, on Flickr

I’m loving how nice the raw files looks when importing into lightroom and don’t need much work far better than any other Nikon I’ve used, maybe it’s a recent update from adobe but normally my other cameras look good as you seen them coming in then go really flat and soft and need more work, the d850 imports just appear good from the off?

I’m loving how nice the raw files looks when importing into lightroom and don’t need much work far better than any other Nikon I’ve used, maybe it’s a recent update from adobe but normally my other cameras look good as you seen them coming in then go really flat and soft and need more work, the d850 imports just appear good from the off?
I found that with the D850 and now Z7, import with the camera standard profile and no PP needed. So either Nikon have worked wonders with this new 45.7mp sensor, or adobe have done some work. I noticed that default sharpening is now 40 rather than 25 as it used to be, so what other tweaks they've done I don't know. Either way, colours are very rich and true to life.

Just ordered a 70-200 FL to go with my D850 after having a selling spree on ebay it was a toss up between another Sigma 120-300 Sport or the 70-200 FL but the Nikon won as I can keep that in my bag along side my 200-500, I do miss the 70-200 range and think my dog is going to be fed up of being my test subject by the end of the weekend (if it arrives tomorrow)

I would love to own a D850 but at a price of nearly £3,000 it is out of my price range, so will have to stay with the D810- D800 and D300 for some time yet. Maybe the D850 is aimed at the more professional end of he market not the hobby end

I would love to own a D850 but at a price of nearly £3,000 it is out of my price range, so will have to stay with the D810- D800 and D300 for some time yet. Maybe the D850 is aimed at the more professional end of he market not the hobby end
Grey prices are more reasonable but there's no doubt it's an expensive bit of kit. It is classed as a pro camera but I've never been a fan of that name tag as it kind of implies that you should be a pro to buy this lens and that enthusiasts should look elsewhere. I wish they would say high end or something like that, but I guess it's just semantics ;)

I was fortunate enough to own a D500, D810, Swarovski ATX scope I was no longer using so had a big sale each time ebay did final sale fee's of £1.

No doubt this is a lot of money and I am lucky enough all my kids have now left home and been through uni, photography is and important part of my life and goes along side wildlife watching, I do not have any other hobby's and use this to try and justify the spend.

Amazon Warehouse deals have a number of Nikon fit lens's for sale at around 25% off new prices and close to grey with next day delivery, they also allow you to add the legal and general accident protection for 2 years at a reasonable price fingers crossed ill never need it but good to know it is there with expensive gear

Last edited:
Question to owners as this has me stumped and I am sure its something stupid I am missing? on all my previous Nikon bodies inc D500 on image review playback if I pressed the down wheel it would cycle display options eg full screen, one with exposure histogram and one that I used a lot was showing shutter, aperture, ISO etc but cannot get it to display this one any ideas ?

Reading the manual it says it should work if turned on so will check my settings again but I had everything on for display options but will double check

Reading the manual it says it should work if turned on so will check my settings again but I had everything on for display options but will double check
It does work but you have to choose the options in the menu.

Question to owners as this has me stumped and I am sure its something stupid I am missing? on all my previous Nikon bodies inc D500 on image review playback if I pressed the down wheel it would cycle display options eg full screen, one with exposure histogram and one that I used a lot was showing shutter, aperture, ISO etc but cannot get it to display this one any ideas ?
You confused me at first when you said wheel as I instantly thought control wheel, but I assume you mean d-pad in which case pressing up and down cycled through the options you have selected in the menus. Just remember to press OK after you’ve ticked them in the menu otherwise it will leave the menu without saving your options.

It does work but you have to choose the options in the menu.
You confused me at first when you said wheel as I instantly thought control wheel, but I assume you mean d-pad in which case pressing up and down cycled through the options you have selected in the menus. Just remember to press OK after you’ve ticked them in the menu otherwise it will leave the menu without saving your options.

Thank you did it again today and all working was same place “I thought I had ticked them but now wondering if didn’t press ok and just pressed centre D pad button *rollseyes*

Back