Nikon D850 - Owners Thread

Thought it was about time I contributed a pic to this thread, one of my favourites of our little man on Brownsea this week with the recently acquired 105mm f1.4.

With the arrival of the 28mm f1.4 last week to pair up with the 105, I'm now looking to pluck up the courage and sell the 24-70 VR and go primes only and be different with my photography, just worried that I might regret it when it comes to doing landscapes!

G31_5093.jpg

I've just found out that this recent photo of our 14yr old border collie dog (Breia) taken at Ardtoe peninsula has been chosen on 'Explore' via Flickr, just over 32,000 views -- wOOw

'Breia at sunset'

Breia at sunset by APM Photography, on Flickr

Nikkor 24-120mm -- iso 640 -- @ f4.5 -- 24mm end -- 1/25 sec -- handheld

Last edited:
I've just found out that this recent photo of our 14yr old border collie dog (Breia) taken at Ardtoe peninsula has been chosen on 'Explore' via Flickr, just over 27,000 views -- wOOw

'Breia at sunset'

Breia at sunset by APM Photography, on Flickr

Nikkor 24-120mm -- iso 640 -- @ f4.5 -- 24mm end -- 1/25 sec -- handheld
Congratulations Peter, That is also one of my favourite places in the UK as we used to stay every year in Acharacle (Mingarry Lodges) one day hope to move here !

On a recent trip to Whitby, I went looking for Bram Stoker's Bench. The one where he often sat whilst writing his famous novel. The view from the bench allows for a great shot over the harbour area, especially when it's really late at night. This one was "latish" as I didn't really fancy a visit from Dracula himself.

Whitby Harbour Sig by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Has there been anymore updates on CFExpress compatibility yet? Ive seen the Firmware updates but there is no mention of it. Nikon Rumors mentioned a while ago it was coming but I've not heard anything more.

On a recent trip to Whitby, I went looking for Bram Stoker's Bench. The one where he often sat whilst writing his famous novel. The view from the bench allows for a great shot over the harbour area, especially when it's really late at night. This one was "latish" as I didn't really fancy a visit from Dracula himself.

Whitby Harbour Sig by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Mike.....one word;

EXQUISITE

Regards;
Peter

Early Morning Whitby

Probably the less visited side of Whitby Harbour. This one taken looking towards the swing bridge from the old wooden jetty. Please excuse the frame, it's just something I've been trying.

Early Morning Whitby Frame by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Whitby Harbour

A panoramic view of Whitby Harbour with Whitby Abbey on the horizon. This one taken from Bram Stoker's Bench.

Whitby Harbour II Frame by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Thanks for the comment Toby, really appreciated.

That Whitby Harbour image was made up from seven shots in portrait mode. For me, the QXD card makes a big difference, when I used a CF card with the D810, my PC really struggled if I tried to combine more than six images.

Thanks for the comment Toby, really appreciated.

That Whitby Harbour image was made up from seven shots in portrait mode. For me, the QXD card makes a big difference, when I used a CF card with the D810, my PC really struggled if I tried to combine more than six images.
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure why the card would make any difference though, what's your workflow? Usually with LR you import the images first and then stitch once imported?

Back to the image itself, I'd go as far to say this is the best image I've seen of Whitby harbour. In fact I'm going to put it in my faves right now (y)

Hardwick Poppy Fields

It's that time of year again, the fields around me are awash with poppies and it would be rude not to go out and photograph them. This one was taken last night in the park that surrounds Hardwick Hall, near Chesterfield in Derbyshire.

Hardwick Poppies II Frame by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Last edited:
Just discovered a firmware update for the D850 was released at the end of May ... anyone updated and noticed any benefits?

Whitby Abbey from a different angle to the norm to include the sea and a bit of the town and trying to show high up on the headland the Abbey sits. Taken just a few minutes after the Abbey opened and well before the main bulk of visitors descended on this very popular tourist attraction.

Whitby Abbey Frame by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Last edited:
Whitby Abbey from a different angle to the norm to include the sea and a bit of the town and trying to show high up on the headland the Abbey sits. Taken just a few minutes after the Abbey opened and well before the main bulk of visitors descended on this very popular tourist attraction.

Whitby Abbey Frame by Mike Swain, on Flickr
Superb, really nice light. How long did you have to wait for that? ;)

Just discovered a firmware update for the D850 was released at the end of May ... anyone updated and noticed any benefits?
Jeeze, I guess I've missed a few. I was still on 1.01.
The current update claims to fix occasional focus issues with peripheral focus points so I updated... I knew all those bad shots weren't my fault!

Last edited:
The current update claims to fix occasional focus issues with peripheral focus points so I updated... I knew all those bad shots weren't my fault!
:D

Used to get notifications but I didn't get one for this.

Last edited:
My D850 is having to go back to Nikon for repair.
For some weeks I have been experiencing intermittent failure in the rear LCD screen, whereby pressing 'Playback', 'Menu' or 'Info' fails to bring any display to the screen. There doesn't seem to be any guaranteed way to restore the display, sometimes switching off/on works, sometimes removing the battery works and sometimes neither of these work and it just eventually restores, however it has been getting more frequent and more prolonged recently.
I never move the screen but do use the touch facility.
Very annoying and with the last experience of over 40 days for my D500 to be repaired and returned I feel a real sense of frustration.
Hopefully it can be repaired promptly.
Anyone else experienced a problem with the rear display?

My D850 is having to go back to Nikon for repair.
For some weeks I have been experiencing intermittent failure in the rear LCD screen, whereby pressing 'Playback', 'Menu' or 'Info' fails to bring any display to the screen. There doesn't seem to be any guaranteed way to restore the display, sometimes switching off/on works, sometimes removing the battery works and sometimes neither of these work and it just eventually restores, however it has been getting more frequent and more prolonged recently.
I never move the screen but do use the touch facility.
Very annoying and with the last experience of over 40 days for my D500 to be repaired and returned I feel a real sense of frustration.
Hopefully it can be repaired promptly.
Anyone else experienced a problem with the rear display?
Bummer... I haven't had a similar issue. And I haven't heard of it being a common thing either.

Bummer... I haven't had a similar issue. And I haven't heard of it being a common thing either.
I did check on the 'web' and couldn't find this exact fault on the D850 (although there were a variety of issues with the screen) but there was an indication of a similar problem with D800's early on. Will be interested to see what Nikon have to say.
It's on its way now and the idea of the D850 being 2 cameras in one sounds a bit hollow! :)

Superb, really nice light. How long did you have to wait for that? ;)

Thanks for the comments Toby. This was taken within a few minutes of the Abbey opening. I had the shot in mind so I went straight to the area, the sky was a bonus.

Thanks for the info Roger, I hadn't even done the update from 1.02 to 1.03.

Just checked my current version and it's; v1.01

Is version 1.1 the lastest update for the D850?

Just checked my Firmware screen and it shows C: 1.10 and LD: 2.017 Hope this helps.

Ok, I've tried four times and downloaded the newest/latest D850 firmware onto a newly formatted SD card and tried to update to the current 1.1 firmware but the file is a 'Bin File', not an exe file.........head scratching time....????

After another two attempts I finally got it done -- ye ha!

Last edited:
Ok, I've tried four times and downloaded the newest/latest D850 firmware onto a newly formatted SD card and tried to update to the current 1.1 firmware but the file is a 'Bin File', not an exe file.........head scratching time....????

Told you I wasn't good with computers.

The 'Bin File' is the file you need.
When you go into the camera menu to update the firmware (card with the Bin file MUST be in the primary slot) it will see the file and give you the option to 'Update' as a new menu sub-option.

Sutton Scarsdale Hall

The old, derelict Georgian mansion, Sutton Scarsdale Hall. Built in 1724-1729 for the 4th Earl of Scarsdale

The building has been roofless since 1919 when its interiors were dismantled and some exported to America. Three interiors are now displayed in the Museum of Art in Philadelphia.

Now cared for by English Heritage, Scarsdale Hall stands, looking out over the fields near Chesterfield in Derbyshire.

Scarsdale Frame by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Sutton Scarsdale Hall

The old, derelict Georgian mansion, Sutton Scarsdale Hall. Built in 1724-1729 for the 4th Earl of Scarsdale

The building has been roofless since 1919 when its interiors were dismantled and some exported to America. Three interiors are now displayed in the Museum of Art in Philadelphia.

Now cared for by English Heritage, Scarsdale Hall stands, looking out over the fields near Chesterfield in Derbyshire.

Scarsdale Frame by Mike Swain, on Flickr
Lovely. I've been meaning to pop up here for years and still not got around to it :facepalm:

Lovely. I've been meaning to pop up here for years and still not got around to it :facepalm:
I was just the same Toby. I've been with English Heritage for a long time and as it was one of my local venues, I always kept promising myself I'd go and see it.

Back