Nikon D850 - Owners Thread

My D850 is having to go back to Nikon for repair.
For some weeks I have been experiencing intermittent failure in the rear LCD screen, whereby pressing 'Playback', 'Menu' or 'Info' fails to bring any display to the screen. There doesn't seem to be any guaranteed way to restore the display, sometimes switching off/on works, sometimes removing the battery works and sometimes neither of these work and it just eventually restores, however it has been getting more frequent and more prolonged recently.
I never move the screen but do use the touch facility.
Very annoying and with the last experience of over 40 days for my D500 to be repaired and returned I feel a real sense of frustration.
Hopefully it can be repaired promptly.
Anyone else experienced a problem with the rear display?

1 week and still, "Awaiting Technician"!

Did you see that e-Infinity now have the D850 at £1849? With the 24-120mm it's £2199.
Seems like a bargain!

Looking to upgrade my gear soon, and have to consider the d850. I borrowed 2 bodies last week and when I nailed the shots I thought they were awesome.

However, I felt there was more noise than I was expecting at ISO 1600, even on well exposed files.

How are you guys finding it at 1600 and 3200 as that's where I spend a lot of my time.

My Mac mini 2012 is also struggling in general at the moment so might need replacing, what specs are you all using?

Cheers

Mike

Looking to upgrade my gear soon, and have to consider the d850. I borrowed 2 bodies last week and when I nailed the shots I thought they were awesome.

However, I felt there was more noise than I was expecting at ISO 1600, even on well exposed files.

How are you guys finding it at 1600 and 3200 as that's where I spend a lot of my time.

My Mac mini 2012 is also struggling in general at the moment so might need replacing, what specs are you all using?

Cheers

Mike

In the D8xx series nothing has come close to the clean files of the D810 IMO but generally the D850 files clean up pretty well for me.
I would have thought that with your technique and experience they would work even better than they do for me.
As for computer I use an old Dell i5 with 16GB RAM and have no issues with working on the files ... space to store them is another matter as I am a terrible hoarder of original files (must do a spring clean ... sometime!).

That above racing motorcycle photo of mine although not brilliant I know, it just goes to show what a high mega-pixel body can do with a large crop of a frame, shooting/selecting iso-64 was probably the life saver here quality wise.

I was using the Nikkor 24-120mm when I should have attached my 70-200mm instead for better reach/tighter crop.......you live and learn!!

Peter

In the D8xx series nothing has come close to the clean files of the D810 IMO but generally the D850 files clean up pretty well for me.
I would have thought that with your technique and experience they would work even better than they do for me.
As for computer I use an old Dell i5 with 16GB RAM and have no issues with working on the files ... space to store them is another matter as I am a terrible hoarder of original files (must do a spring clean ... sometime!).

Cheers Roger,

I'm really uhmming and aching about this as it will be expected to last me several years. I love my Canon gear, but all the top boys I know have all crossed over to Nikon - but they're shooting in nice American light!

I shot this at ISO 800 and the RAW looked noisy, especially the background, but once cleaned up a little its pretty acceptable I'd say. Lost quite a bit of IQ posting to here though :thinking:

Gannet by Mike, on Flickr

But then its going to cost me a lot more to switch systems :runaway:

Last edited:
Cheers Roger,

I'm really uhmming and aching about this as it will be expected to last me several years. I love my Canon gear, but all the top boys I know have all crossed over to Nikon - but they're shooting in nice American light!

I shot this at ISO 800 and the RAW looked noisy, especially the background, but once cleaned up a little its pretty acceptable I'd say. Lost quite a bit of IQ posting to here though :thinking:

Gannet by Mike, on Flickr

But then its going to cost me a lot more to switch systems :runaway:
Mike;

Simply STUNNING capture -- awesome photography Sir!

Peter

I attended Glamis Castle (Forfar, Scotland) Extravaganza Classic Car and Motorcycle event on Sunday, many many simply beautiful machines......a fantastic day out.

Porsche 356 Speedster

Porsche 356 Speedster by APM Photography, on Flickr

Nikkor 24-120mm -- iso 100 -- @ f/4 -- @ 30mm end -- Nikon flashgun

Today was first time I really missed my D500, taking Red Kite photos the D850 as good as it is does not lock and have half as many keepers as the D500 did, but thankfully I dont shoot like that often but the D500 is pretty special at focus on fast moving subject and only today did I realised just how good it was

I have just joined the D850 club so will be relegating my D7000 to backup/everyday use. I totally forgot to research SD cards (digital is all new to me) so in haste I purchased a couple of SDXC-I 64GB along with the camera. I have a feeling I should have bought something better/faster but that's all the shop had, I do have the option of returning one of the cards as I have only unpacked one. What should I get, also would I be able to use the one I opened in my D7000 as I only have a 32GB sandisk one in that?

I have just joined the D850 club so will be relegating my D7000 to backup/everyday use. I totally forgot to research SD cards (digital is all new to me) so in haste I purchased a couple of SDXC-I 64GB along with the camera. I have a feeling I should have bought something better/faster but that's all the shop had, I do have the option of returning one of the cards as I have only unpacked one. What should I get, also would I be able to use the one I opened in my D7000 as I only have a 32GB sandisk one in that?
Depends on what you want to shoot? If you want to shoot sports/wildlife with fast burst shooting then you really want as fast a card as you can afford. What are the write speeds of your current card. Also, are you aware that the D850 is XQD and SD?

I managed to pick up a barely used Sony XQD card 440/400 with all packaging intacked for only £15 delivered, some bargain can be had if you look around enough although its been a while since an XQD card can be classed as a bargain...
£15 for a 440mb/s XQD :eek: What capacity? I've never thought of looking at used cards before tbh, I'm not sure if I'd be happy buying one or not :thinking:

£15 for a 440mb/s XQD :eek: What capacity? I've never thought of looking at used cards before tbh, I'm not sure if I'd be happy buying one or not :thinking:

It was only a 32gb but only used a few times. The seller never knew what they sell for used and wanted £15 signed for delivery. A bargain. I already have 4x 64gb cards ( 2 for each camera) so this will go for a backup and wont see much use if any. They are sealed units with no moving parts so happy to buy used as long as its not a fake and this was bought from WEX with a receipt etc..lol

Last edited:
My D850 is having to go back to Nikon for repair.
For some weeks I have been experiencing intermittent failure in the rear LCD screen, whereby pressing 'Playback', 'Menu' or 'Info' fails to bring any display to the screen. There doesn't seem to be any guaranteed way to restore the display, sometimes switching off/on works, sometimes removing the battery works and sometimes neither of these work and it just eventually restores, however it has been getting more frequent and more prolonged recently.
I never move the screen but do use the touch facility.
Very annoying and with the last experience of over 40 days for my D500 to be repaired and returned I feel a real sense of frustration.
Hopefully it can be repaired promptly.
Anyone else experienced a problem with the rear display?

Update: D850 been with Nikon for nearly 3 weeks now, check today says they are awaiting a spare part!
Do other manufacturers of camera equipment have such pathetic service turnover as Nikon?

'm really uhmming and aching about this as it will be expected to last me several years. I love my Canon gear, but all the top boys I know have all crossed over to Nikon - but they're shooting in nice American light!

I shot this at ISO 800 and the RAW looked noisy, especially the background, but once cleaned up a little its pretty acceptable I'd say.
The D850 isn't any noisier than any other Nikon camera IMO... it's just that when you zoom into 100% pixel view it is magnified more. The D850 also appears to have more color noise for a similar reason, at least to me; but the converse of that is it results in greater color accuracy.

The noise is very easily dealt with for similar use, and color noise can usually be removed much more heavily w/o as significant of a negative impact. But I would suggest not reducing noise until after the image has been sized for final output, otherwise you will compound the loss of detail/color accuracy.

Evaluating it for print is more complicated; you could enlarge it to the same physical size, but then the print quality (DPI) you are simulating is equivalent to your monitor's detail level (PPI)... probably not more than 120/in. It's probably best to view it at an equivalent PPI enlargement... i.e. for a 240dpi print view at 50% on a 120PPI monitor.

(**DPI/PPI as used here is "standard," but a bit convoluted IMO... a printer is always going to print at whatever DPI resolution it is capable of. The resulting "print DPI" is really the PPI being reproduced.)

The D850 isn't any noisier than any other Nikon camera IMO... it's just that when you zoom into 100% pixel view it is magnified more. The D850 also appears to have more color noise for a similar reason, at least to me; but the converse of that is it results in greater color accuracy.

The noise is very easily dealt with for similar use, and color noise can usually be removed much more heavily w/o as significant of a negative impact. But I would suggest not reducing noise until after the image has been sized for final output, otherwise you will compound the loss of detail/color accuracy.

Evaluating it for print is more complicated; you could enlarge it to the same physical size, but then the print quality (DPI) you are simulating is equivalent to your monitor's detail level (PPI)... probably not more than 120/in. It's probably best to view it at an equivalent PPI enlargement... i.e. for a 240dpi print view at 50% on a 120PPI monitor.

(**DPI/PPI as used here is "standard," but a bit convoluted IMO... a printer is always going to print at whatever DPI resolution it is capable of. The resulting "print DPI" is really the PPI being reproduced.)
I found the D850 more noisy than the D750, even when downsampled or zoomed into the same degree. However, it's not by much and I'd still 'happily' shoot at 12800 ISO.

I found the D850 more noisy than the D750, even when downsampled or zoomed into the same degree. However, it's not by much and I'd still 'happily' shoot at 12800 ISO.
I've never owned any of the D7xx models. But I would be surprised if there was really much of anything to it comparing a D750 image at 1:1 (100%) to a D850 file at 1:2 (52%). Could be that ACR is handling them a bit differently.
IME, if you want the best noise characteristics the OEM software is best at demosaicing the raw files; probably because everyone else is working backwards to get their algorithms. I know for a time LR would turn a D800 image magenta and extra noisy if you pushed the recovery very hard, where Nikon's Capture didn't.
But it's not normally enough for me to mess with...

Last edited:

Cheers

Mike

Re your Mac mini, you would likely extend its life by maxing out the memory to 16GB and replacing its slow hard drive with an SSD. SSD prices have fallen to very acceptable prices. Also keep its OS to High Sierra rather than upgrading to Mojave.

That does concern me. I use 2 D750's and am generally happy with them, but I often have a need to get clean sharp images in really challenging light with downsampling to a minimum of 3000 or 4000 pixels on the longest length, although would prefer full size. Likely to still be hunting for the holy grail.

That does concern me. I use 2 D750's and am generally happy with them, but I often have a need to get clean sharp images in really challenging light with downsampling to a minimum of 3000 or 4000 pixels on the longest length, although would prefer full size. Likely to still be hunting for the holy grail.
It's nit picking tbh, but this from DPR is similar to my findings shown here at the same resolution (although on DPR the D850 looks less contrasty for some reason). I could never decide whether it was actually more noise, or that the sharpness of the D850 due to the lack of AA filter exaggerated it.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/im...1&x=0.12493748958159713&y=-0.9789761801377087

Not the best photo but this is the only example of mine I can find at the mo at 12800. From memory I didn't apply any NR, it's rare that I did. If any NR was applied it will have been minimal.

DSC_0363
by TDG-77, on Flickr

hi all, i don't suppose there's a way to have custom viewfinder grids on the d850 is there? I've got a job tomorrow where the brief is for quite specific wide / tall banner size images and it'd be great if i could have tighter grids on the viewfinder to ensure that i get the best possible framing. Live view?

looking to get the 9 fps from the d850
am i right in saying i need
Nikon MB-D18 grip and 18c battery ?
anything else , thought i read you also need different battery tray ???

Back