Nikon FF hybrid

I think if they can bring at least something a long the lines of fuji's X100s and improve on it, it could be interesting, I can't see a retro designed camera being FF and walking around with super zooms on it with afs and vrII and all that jazz, it would look out of place, but a FF or APS-C that can compete in performance and looks to the X100s would be nice.

Looks awesome, are Nikon really gonna go down the retro route though? I can't imagine them to tbf but would like to be proved wrong of course.

There were rumors that before the V-1 came out it was going to be a full frame mirrorless camera.
And some time ago they did have a go at an digital FM-3,but didn't work out so who know :)

To go retro, it really can't come with an evf, for me personally, it needs a real viewfinder with an overlay in it giving the most needed info for exposure, I don't want a camera I have to hold like a phone camera either, I may as well get a lumia.

Looks awesome, are Nikon really gonna go down the retro route though? I can't imagine them to tbf but would like to be proved wrong of course.

They released the S3 2000, a re-run of a rangefinder from the 50s. They definitely have a previous history of doing things like that!

To go retro, it really can't come with an evf, for me personally, it needs a real viewfinder with an overlay in it giving the most needed info for exposure, I don't want a camera I have to hold like a phone camera either, I may as well get a lumia.

Latest rumour is that it'll be an SLR, my guess is that the "hybrid" aspect refers to something there going to do with the viewfinder. Perhaps some kind of electronic overlay to help with manual focusing?

Looks to me like Nikon might be trying to kill two birds with one stone and have a more compact body to compete with the new Sony and appeal to the retro market. I think prices are still way too high for a FF camera to offer a real bare bones option like say an upsized D5200.

Last edited:
By hybrid Im guessing it uses CDAF and PDAF, most manufacturers are using that term now.

Out of place like a 70-200mm/f2.8 VR2 attached to a J1 via the FT-1???

Rather looking forward to the waterproof 1 series being available so I can use my 70-300 VR on it! I've heard of someone using a 600mm Nikkor on a 2x telecom on a 1 series... 1200mm on a 2.7x crop sensor! As I said elsewhere, ideal for taking photos of the stars - on the flags on the moon! ;)

No doubt it will be expensive but with the introduction of the new Sony A7/A7r , Nikon will have to put out an extra special camera. The rumour is talking about using the D4's sensor

I really really really want a FF camera that's similar to the leica and has top class lenses that isn't as expensive as a leica.

Could this be it?

Will it require a new line of lenses or use the current ones?

I really really really want a FF camera that's similar to the leica and has top class lenses that isn't as expensive as a leica.

Could this be it?

Will it require a new line of lenses or use the current ones?

According to the rumors it will use the existing F mount

Picture of the photographer from the video at Nikon here.

And an extreme close-up of the camera (poor quality) on Nikon Rumors here.

I'm getting excited about it despite having just decided to sell off my Nikon kit :bonk:

If it comes with the old fashioned split screen focus screen and manual focus (of course), I'm ready with the money (y)

More than likely have focus peaking instead as that seems to be the current fashion when it comes to manual focus. Suppose its easier to compose rule of third style shots though using focus peaking for moving targets compared to the split screen focus on a leica for example, but thats half the fun of actually using one!

With the latest update on specs boasting the 39 point a.f system from the d600 I am out. Pity I really fancied this. :(

I think its funny so many people are spitting the dummy about the 39 point AF being used when the other half want split screen manual focus.

It may not be the best but if the rumoured d4 señor is fitted they have to cripple it another way than just the fps and body type for it to be cheaper. If not it would just be a mini d4 and the price would be high which everyone would then moan about too.

I can see Nikon fudging it up completely tbh, what ever focusing they use, I believe it needs to be usable in manual, not like modern offerings from Nikon so far in it's dslr range.

Sounds rather like a FF FM3D, if it's real. Thom Hogan reckoned that Nikon developed the FM3D to the prototype stage, but abandoned it.

On Nikonrumors it says that it would not have any video capability. :thinking: I know it's meant to be retro, but that is actively disabling a standard feature on almost every digital camera. :cautious:

I don't use video, but I think it an odd move if true. Keep it in the camera, just make it a feature in the menu, then if the purist using the AF and advanced metering ;-) doesn't want to use it, they wouldn't have to.

It will be interesting to see how retro they go with the design. If true. ;)

How gutted would everyone be if it turns out to just be that Nikon j- thingy in a new case with big twisty shutter speed and ISO knobs? ;-)

How gutted would everyone be if it turns out to just be that Nikon j- thingy in a new case with big twisty shutter speed and ISO knobs? ;-)
Not very gutted cus their 1 series cameras are decent? :)

Last edited:
Even if this camera isn't revolutionary and offers nothing truly new and is just seen by some as a cynical "Me Too" retro irrelevance some will love it. Choice is good :D

Even if this camera isn't revolutionary and offers nothing truly new and is just seen by some as a cynical "Me Too" retro irrelevance some will love it. Choice is good :D

I'm not sure when the last time it was when Nikon went on a massive hype campaign before announcing a camera - so it must something they are either extremely proud of or that tugs on the emotional strings. Either way I'm excited, but no doubt whether it is a let down or not it will probably be too expensive for me anyhow :LOL:

Back