Nikon FF hybrid

I'm not sure when the last time it was when Nikon went on a massive hype campaign before announcing a camera - so it must something they are either extremely proud of or that tugs on the emotional strings. Either way I'm excited, but no doubt whether it is a let down or not it will probably be too expensive for me anyhow :LOL:

Maybe on day one but they might start cropping up in the for sale section after 6months to a year.

Even at 50% off, this would probably be way out of reach for me, but I'll be interested to see what it turns out to be.

Just how retro should a camera like this be, to attract market share? Something like a digital F or F2, with no built in metering at all, or even further back? A new, FF, FM3D, with some automatic capabilities and the latest focus and exposure metering systems? A fully modern camera camouflaged to look like something from the 70s or 80s?

It seems to have a mirror... you can hear the slap.

More than likely have focus peaking instead as that seems to be the current fashion when it comes to manual focus. Suppose its easier to compose rule of third style shots though using focus peaking for moving targets compared to the split screen focus on a leica for example, but thats half the fun of actually using one!

It could have Digital split screen focusing similar to the Fuji X100s & X-E2

Maybe on day one but they might start cropping up in the for sale section after 6months to a year.

Possibly, I've set a date for an upgrade in Feb. D700 is still more than sufficient, but reality is I'm bored and want to change things up....I'm hoping this new retro is going to change the way i shoot forever ;)

Otherwise I may give m43 a try, I like the EM-1!

In this world I'm in a terrible minority - I'd like a digital camera that's like a film slr and horror of horrors needn't necessarily have autofocus! It would have an aperture control, a shutter speed control and a metering display in its optical finder.

Some chance!

In this world I'm in a terrible minority - I'd like a digital camera that's like a film slr and horror of horrors needn't necessarily have autofocus! It would have an aperture control, a shutter speed control and a metering display in its optical finder.

Some chance!

I think that a lot of cameras are pretty much like that these days... I have a Canon 5D and a Panasonic G1 and mostly use the G1 these days and with the back screen turned to the body and a manual lens fitted it's a very film like experience to use, as I'd imagine are many other cameras.

Some chance!

I like that concept too, but it would only have a small minority appeal and I can't see Nikon taking the risk. You could also argue that it's pointless, because you can shoot any DSLR in manual mode.

Removing AF would probably kill sales. The technology is mature, a whole generation have grown up with it, and I can't see them taking a step back to MF only. The biggest impediment to using MF on most DSLRs is the small, dim, viewfinder on most crop bodies and there could be an opportunity for Nikon here though. The FF sensor and larger viewfinder overcomes the problem to a great extent, and they could offer interchangeable screens with focusing aids - as they did at one time - for people who want full MF functionality without sacrificing the AF capability.

This would work well with lenses designed for MF, which have smooth, dampened, long throw focus rings; but MF on many modern lenses - optimised for AF - is mainly to let you tweak focus, and might be challenging. It would be just fine with my film era Nikkors!

We'll see.

Second lens definitely had a M/A focus switch on it so not an AIS, must be the 'retro' version of the 50 1.8G that it is supposed to be shipping with.

A modern day digital S2 would be awfully nice!

I find it odd to include what looks like the film rewind lever, I know retro looks cool, but there is a certain balance needed I think.

If the silhouette at the end of the video is it, then the lens there is a 50mm f1.8G.

ipmz.png

Even if this camera isn't revolutionary and offers nothing truly new and is just seen by some as a cynical "Me Too" retro irrelevance some will love it. Choice is good :D
Retro Irrelevance is good,
it's exactly why I bought an e-P1,
and half of why the e-M5s sold like hot cakes.

I would say it's 90% of why this new 'thing' is garnering interest.
(If it doesn't directly mate with OLD Nikon lenses there'll be hell to pay.)

Must admit I'm holding off preordering the new Sony till I've seen exactly what this thing is purely because I already have a load of AF Nikon FX lenses here already

Must admit I'm holding off preordering the new Sony till I've seen exactly what this thing is purely because I already have a load of AF Nikon FX lenses here already

The more I look at the Sony, the more it comes across as a real first gen device. Also the pain of rebuying lenses and here the sony has a problem due to the lack of lenses. I have all the FX I need and so this would be ideal. This Nikon could be the absolute pinnacle of the DSLR design and that versus a susceptible first gen device could make the Nikon an absolute winner.

nikon-df-22.jpg

The prism box looks like a cross between the F3 and the FM2. I'm wondering if theres any chance it maybe removable like the former? if its not an EVF/OVF that seems to offer a few options, much easier to change focusing screens, maybe possible to change between an OVF and a smaller EVF, perhaps even use a waist level finder?

If that's the viewfinder standing on top like an ancient ziggurat, I'm out. That's almost as fugly as an F3 finder.

Well that 4th video clearly puts to rest any suggestion it might not be FX (APS-C/MFT would be such a disappointment after all of that talk).

Not sure why it would cost more than a D800 if it has less automation

All I heard from one dealer was expect at least £2000 + :eek:

If thats the case then a stupid move! Not sure they will sell many at that price, looks are one thing, but you could get a D600 and something like an X100s for that money!

Looks interesting and with a big upgrade due I may wait to see what this offers and if in budget

Must say, all the rumour sites are saying it will have the D4 sensor. I don't think that makes much sense, other than it's old enough that it may be cheap to manufacture now.

Back