Nikon mirrorless definitely on the way

I have shot wildlife with canon and Nikon for many years ,getting older lugging the gear about was starting to take the pleasure out of it.... I can happily say now after a few months it hasn’t ,it’s a stiff learning curve and I’ll be the first to admit I’m still learning...

The reason a lot of the pros haven’t changed is there stuck in a rut afraid to change in case they miss that shot but to scared because of that to take the plunge...

Yes it takes time but the likes of Olympus have really got there act together.

I'm no Pro but you would assume that for people whose living depends on getting shots consistently, the above would be a problem. Add to that the possible loss of money of switching systems, and that is another disincentive against any benefits. If you are a Canon or Nikon owner, and they bring out mirrorless camera that can take full advantage of all their lenses, then it is just a new camera to check out and if a change is feasible, and if it was successful, new dedicated lenses for that may have advantages over some current lenses.

As for Pro's not changing because they may be stuck in a rut! :confused: Some may be, but why change if what you have works and you are happy, and makes you money? :thinking: Everyone who doesn't want a mirrorless may not be a Luddite. ;)

When talking about switching and the possible expense, some people are lucky enough to be able to buy a new system along with what they may already have, and not need to choose a system to keep, because they can use different systems for different subjects/situations. Some Pro's like Raymond can also do that, but I suspect many can't because it is a business. I don't know whether Raymond's plan is to have one or multiple systems. Most people have one system, and so transitioning could be more problematic. That is a thing Canon and Nikon have to overcome, making it easy and attractive to change. For those that want to, because remember, atm, most people want DSLRs. ;) :LOL:

I'm no Pro but you would assume that for people whose living depends on getting shots consistently, the above would be a problem. Add to that the possible loss of money of switching systems, and that is another disincentive against any benefits. If you are a Canon or Nikon owner, and they bring out mirrorless camera that can take full advantage of all their lenses, then it is just a new camera to check out and if a change is feasible, and if it was successful, new dedicated lenses for that may have advantages over some current lenses.

As for Pro's not changing because they may be stuck in a rut! :confused: Some may be, but why change if what you have works and you are happy, and makes you money? :thinking: Everyone who doesn't want a mirrorless may not be a Luddite. ;)

When talking about switching and the possible expense, some people are lucky enough to be able to buy a new system along with what they may already have, and not need to choose a system to keep, because they can use different systems for different subjects/situations. Some Pro's like Raymond can also do that, but I suspect many can't because it is a business. I don't know whether Raymond's plan is to have one or multiple systems. Most people have one system, and so transitioning could be more problematic. That is a thing Canon and Nikon have to overcome, making it easy and attractive to change. For those that want to, because remember, atm, most people want DSLRs. ;) :LOL:
First off I simply cannot believe there are more than 20 pros in the whole u.k that are making any money from wildlife probably less than that ,there are lots of hobbyists out there that call themselves wildlife photographers but never make a penny out of it

Lots of the lads I know with the big long lenses are retired had pension lumps or windfalls and spent it on what was the best at the time ,and that’s the problem do they change or wait till like myself old age forces them to change

First off I simply cannot believe there are more than 20 pros in the whole u.k that are making any money from wildlife probably less than that ,there are lots of hobbyists out there that call themselves wildlife photographers but never make a penny out of it
Did I specify Pro's as being wildlife photographers! :thinking: It is not just some long lenses that may initially be hard to replace, but also some wide aperture primes. And there are some things that can't be replaced for some with regards to cameras by mirrorless.

Lots of the lads I know with the big long lenses are retired had pension lumps or windfalls and spent it on what was the best at the time ,and that’s the problem do they change or wait till like myself old age forces them to change
With the long lenses, because of the costs of some of them, it is a potentially huge cost to switch to mirrorless, and you may not be able to totally replace what you may have. Is the size/weight reduction worth not potentially being able to get the same images you have liked? It is a very difficult decision. Some may not have a choice as they may physically not be able to carry the gear they have. That decision while sad, is clear for the person in that position at least.

A Canon or Nikon mirrorless camera with the same big lens may not be a significant weight/size reduction. Though paired with the new Nikon PF lenses are big reductions in size and weight though would. They alone could be enough weight and size saved to consider keeping the DSLR for some.
The Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR looks tiny compared to what went before.:eek:

Did I specify Pro's as being wildlife photographers! :thinking: It is not just some long lenses that may initially be hard to replace, but also some wide aperture primes. And there are some things that can't be replaced for some with regards to cameras by mirrorless.

With the long lenses, because of the costs of some of them, it is a potentially huge cost to switch to mirrorless, and you may not be able to totally replace what you may have. Is the size/weight reduction worth not potentially being able to get the same images you have liked? It is a very difficult decision. Some may not have a choice as they may physically not be able to carry the gear they have. That decision while sad, is clear for the person in that position at least.

A Canon or Nikon mirrorless camera with the same big lens may not be a significant weight/size reduction. Though paired with the new Nikon PF lenses are big reductions in size and weight though would. They alone could be enough weight and size saved to consider keeping the DSLR for some.
The Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR looks tiny compared to what went before.:eek:

Honestly I would be surprised if Nikon put a great deal of focus on telephoto use for any new system beyond producing the best adapter possible for the F-mount, unlike Sony they already have an established userbase targeted well via DSLR's who aren't likely to see much advantage in mirrorless.

If Nikon put focus on any area beyond your standard core lenses it seems likely to be ultra fast primes to be with the various patents and talk of the "Noct" trademark being used. That's afterall always been a focus of premium sales with FF mirrorless and its also a weakness that Nikon's DSLR lineup has relative to Canon with nothing faster than F/1.4 on AF lenses.

I tend to think that even moreso than with DSLR's though the key to mirrorless is getting your core lenses right in terms of performance and price. You look at Canon's success with APSC mirrorless and they haven't actually had to equal Sony in terms of lens lineup, what they have done though is arguably offer a core line with superior performance/value. The nature of mirrorless you could argue tends to mean people are going to stick with lower spec lenses more to maximise any size saving so things like a 24-70mm F/4, 16-35mm F/4, 35mm F/2, etc become key.

I would imagine as well there potentially going to be trying to get existing users to buy a mirrorless body to use in conjunction with a DSLR similar to the way a lot of Canon users bought Sony FE bodies but potentially with superior useability via an own brand adapter. I mean you could argue part of the problem they face now is that a lot of DSLR users have much of the performance they need and if the improved action shooting of the D850 doesn't appeal then perhaps potential size saving will?

Personally I'v been using a D800 for 5 years now mostly selling landscapes and I can't say that I feel a massive need for an upgrade in image quality, it would be welcome but doesn't stand out as an obvious weakness now. At some stage in the next year or two I suspect I'll end up buying a new body even if the current one isn't showing anything but cosmetic wear, its more a question I spose of what I think my focus might be, moving into some wildlife shooting probably the D850, more in the way of traveling then perhaps the rumoured 45 MP mirrorless body.

Honestly I would be surprised if Nikon put a great deal of focus on telephoto use for any new system beyond producing the best adapter possible for the F-mount, unlike Sony they already have an established userbase targeted well via DSLR's who aren't likely to see much advantage in mirrorless.

I don't think they will prioritise telephoto users either other than having an AF system that covers the whole frame and works well with older lenses via any adapters they may have. Having the new PF lenses, probably with an adapter and a smaller camera body could still be a huge saving in size and weight for anyone with a pre PF telephoto lens and a D8**/D* camera combo.

Nikon-Z4-700x470.jpg

Nikon-Z5-700x499.jpg

Nikon-Z3-700x474.jpg

Nikon-Z2-700x548.jpg

Nikon-Z-700x487.jpg

Will Nikon play is safe or will they push the boundaries ........ :D

Will Nikon play is safe or will they push the boundaries ........ :D

We'll soon know :D

The silhouettes look suspiciously A7 like so it'll be interesting to see what people think of the handling after the Sony's have taken such a bashing from some over the years for handling. Competition is good and I hope Nikon have made a good effort at this and if they have it'll be interesting to see what Sony and others do next.

Last edited:
Well soon know :D

The silhouettes look suspiciously A7 like so it'll be interesting to see what people think of the handling after the Sony's have taken such a bashing from some over the years for handling. Competition is good and I hope Nikon have made a good effort at this and if they have it'll be interesting to see what Sony and others do next.
I had the chance recently to play with the Sony A9 - the ergonomics on that body are much improved imo over the early A7 I tried (which I hated btw - the ergonomics that is!!). Simple things like button size and placement make a huge difference. For me it doesn't matter how good technically a camera is, if it handles badly then it isn't for me. I'm still not a fan of EVFs either despite the massive improvements there - sometimes less is more for me (as in less information, talk about info overload, its a camera not a jet fighter!) - I suspect that the level of info and the evf could easily be configurable if not now then at some point in the future.

Nice looking Sigma lens :eek:

Looks like a D750/A7 hybrid. I just hope they get the ergonomics right.

Nikon push the boundaries????? Who're you trying to kid ;)

I would be nice to see Nikon bring something new and radical to the table..... I guess I am just hoping they bring out a game-changer :D lol

I would be nice to see Nikon bring something new and radical to the table..... I guess I am just hoping they bring out a game-changer :D lol
LED huge lens mount by the looks of it. maybe thats the refference to the NOCT stuff, easy lens changing in the dark. Hopefully its RGB for the full bling

LED huge lens mount by the looks of it. maybe thats the refference to the NOCT stuff, easy lens changing in the dark. Hopefully its RGB for the full bling

Hopefully not. Is the mount huge though, it appears to be glowing on the outside diameter.

Last edited:
I don't know what they can do that's particularly radical though? Basically Nikon need to bring out something that's at least as good as the A9/A7RIII/A7 but with better menus and ergonomics, oh and zero EVF lag. If Sony would sort out those things (and their prices) I'd jump ship. If Nikon bring something out like that I'm not sure what else anyone would need? Until someone comes up with curved sensors or metalenses that allow FF glass on on much smaller scale I think cameras now give us everything we need, ie DSLR like AF performance, almost full frame AF coverage, more FPS that anyone needs, more MP than you need (camera dependant), larger buffer than anyone needs, etc etc, the only other thing would be a global shutter to completely get rid of banding and jello effect.

I don't know what they can do that's particularly radical though? Basically Nikon need to bring out something that's at least as good as the A9/A7RIII/A7 but with better menus and ergonomics, oh and zero EVF lag. If Sony would sort out those things (and their prices) I'd jump ship. If Nikon bring something out like that I'm not sure what else anyone would need? Until someone comes up with curved sensors or metalenses that allow FF glass on on much smaller scale I think cameras now give us everything we need, ie DSLR like AF performance, almost full frame AF coverage, more FPS that anyone needs, more MP than you need (camera dependant), larger buffer than anyone needs, etc etc, the only other thing would be a global shutter to completely get rid of banding and jello effect.

Menus, really? Who uses them after initial setup.

Ergonomics, down to individuals, nothing wrong with the MK3 gen, previous were terrible.

Prices? How so? Tell me a camera that has a better spec than the a7mk3 for 2k.

Basically Nikon need to bring out something that's at least as good as the A9/A7RIII/A7 but with better menus and ergonomics, oh and zero EVF lag. If Sony would sort out those things (and their prices) I'd jump ship.

Well if that's all they need to do what will they take care of after lunch?

Joking aside, the menus really aren't a big deal, even though the Sony is pretty useless in this regard I can't say I've ever liked any menu system, you stick what you need on the custom menu and that's that. The ergonomics is something Nikon should be good at though and 'zero' EVF lag is dependent on what technology is available to them, most things are doable but the real sticking point is the price.

I don't believe Nikon can exceed the A73 at its price point, love to be proven wrong though.

Menus, really? Who uses them after initial setup.
Me :p

Ergonomics, down to individuals, nothing wrong with the MK3 gen, previous were terrible.
I can only talk about my point of view, not everyone else's (y)

Prices? How so? Tell me a camera that has a better spec than the a7mk3 for 2k.[/QUOTE] Probably worded it wrongly, maybe should have said had some more mid range priced glass (y)

Well if that's all they need to do what will they take care of after lunch?

Joking aside, the menus really aren't a big deal, even though the Sony is pretty useless in this regard I can't say I've ever liked any menu system, you stick what you need on the custom menu and that's that. The ergonomics is something Nikon should be good at though and 'zero' EVF lag is dependent on what technology is available to them, most things are doable but the real sticking point is the price.

I don't believe Nikon can exceed the A73 at its price point, love to be proven wrong though.
I do expect Nikon ergonomics will be better (for me) but as for price I can't see them matching the A73 either, not without making compromises. I think they need to bring out something with all the bells an whistles to show what they can do, and then filter down to lower models, a bit like Sony have done. Something with all the bells and whistles will likely be anywhere from £3500-£5000 though I'd have thought :eek: But maybe they will bring out an A73 competitor first to give an 'entry level' version to capture more of the market than they would if they bring out a flagship first. Who knows ;) All I know is that they're late to the party :facepalm:

Me :p

I can only talk about my point of view, not everyone else's (y)

Prices? How so? Tell me a camera that has a better spec than the a7mk3 for 2k.
Probably worded it wrongly, maybe should have said had some more mid range priced glass (y)[/QUOTE]

You men like these?

28 f2 - 300
50 1.8 - 179
85 1.8 - 550
Sigma 35 1.4 - 650
Sigma 50 1.4 - 600
Tamron 28-75 2.8 - 650
Sony 70-200 f4 - 1070

Plus the whole sigma ART range?

Hopefully not. Is the mount huge though, it appears to be glowing on the outside diameter.

Isn't that just for the video though, maybe in an attempt to show how small the body is as the mount covers the front face? I think it would be pretty odd to fit an LED ring around the light-tight lens mount :0)

Isn't that just for the video though, maybe in an attempt to show how small the body is as the mount covers the front face? I think it would be pretty off to fit an LED ring around the light-tight lens mount :0)

Yes, that's what I'm getting at. People are saying the mount looks huge. I think it looks pretty normal. Disco mount lol

Last edited:
You men like these?

28 f2 - 300
50 1.8 - 179
85 1.8 - 550
Sigma 35 1.4 - 650
Sigma 50 1.4 - 600
Tamron 28-75 2.8 - 650
Sony 70-200 f4 - 1070

Plus the whole sigma ART range?
No mid range native UWA or tele, you know the things I shoot by now :p

Nikon's mirrorless competition is not Sony, but themselves.

The big sales opportunity for Nikon (and Canon) is to sell something new and better to its existing customers, ie current Nikon DSLR users with a bag full of lenses that will be 100% functional with the new mirrorless cameras. The challenge there is both much bigger and much easier to crack. So their primary competition (certainly initially) is not Sony, but themselves and their current DSLR range.

I think I'm fairly typical of a target customer, though I use Canon. I've put on hold buying a Canon 5D4 pending a mirrorless announcement and when that finally happens, I'll pay £3k or whatever for a new body with all the mirrorless benefits, and carry on as before. Switching to Sony is simply not an option - it'd cost me around £10k for a new outfit with lenses, spare body and flash etc, not to mention all the hassle and new learning curve. Not gonna happen. Alternatively, if the new mirrorless cameras don't measure up I'll just get that 5D4 and still be very happy thanks :)

Last edited:

The big sales opportunity for Nikon (and Canon) is to sell something new and better to its existing customers, ie current Nikon DSLR users with a bag full of lenses that will be 100% functional with the new mirrorless cameras. The challenge there is both much bigger and much easier to crack. So their primary competition (certainly initially) is not Sony, but themselves and their current DSLR range.

I think I'm fairly typical of a target customer, though I use Canon. I've put buying a Canon 5D4 on hold pending a mirrorless announcement and when that finally happens, I'll pay £3k or whatever for a new body with all the mirrorless benefits, and carry on as before. Switching to Sony is simply not an option - it'd cost me around £15k for a new outfit with lenses, spare body and flash etc, not to mention all the hassle and new learning curve. Not gonna happen. Alternatively, if the new mirrorless cameras don't measure up I'll just get that 5D4 and still be very happy thanks :)
Agreed, my thoughts entirely (though from a Nikon POV) ... though it would cost me less as I don't have masses of gear it is the learning curve that will be/is the issue for me.

I think I'm fairly typical of a target customer.....
Really?
I'll pay £3k or whatever for a new body..... it'd cost me around £10k for a new outfit with lenses, spare body and flash etc.....
If you're a typical target customer, they surely they're doomed. There can't be enough people in that bracket to make the product lines profitable.

Agreed, my thoughts entirely (though from a Nikon POV) ... though it would cost me less as I don't have masses of gear it is the learning curve that will be/is the issue for me.

Yes, though I've edited my cost of switching to £10k, to include trade-ins etc that I missed off. Still out of the question.

Really?

If you're a typical target customer, they surely they're doomed. There can't be enough people in that bracket to make the product lines profitable.

haha :) But seriously, how would you define a typical high-end DSLR user then? A body or two, a trinity of zooms and a couple of fast primes, flash etc?

I'm not sure I fully agree tbh. Of course they will be in competition with their own DSLRs but also they need something to try to prevent users from switching to other brands, and also give new togs/new FF togs a FF mirrorless option that isn't Sony. I don't have figures to know how many people have jumped ship to Sony, or how many people buy Sony A7's/A9 due to there being no other FF mirrorless option, but when Nikon bring out a FF mirrorless it will of course be in direct competition with the Sony FF mirrorless, just like Nikon DSLRs are in completion Canon, Sony Pentax etc DSLRs.

I agree Nikon will want their own customers to take to their mirrorless system, but I still don't agree with the fact that they won't be in competition with Sony. If you sell a similar product at (assuringly) a similar price point they are of course going to be in competition with each other ;) I'm not of course saying that that will be Nikon's primary concern (y)

Switching to Sony is simply not an option - it'd cost me around £10k for a new outfit with lenses, spare body and flash etc,
I came to that conclusion too.

That lit up mount will get annoying fast surely? :thinking:

:LOL:

Oh marketing ...

I'm not sure I fully agree tbh. Of course they will be in competition with their own DSLRs but also they need something to try to prevent users from switching to other brands, and also give new togs/new FF togs a FF mirrorless option that isn't Sony. I don't have figures to know how many people have jumped ship to Sony, or how many people buy Sony A7's/A9 due to there being no other FF mirrorless option, but when Nikon bring out a FF mirrorless it will of course be in direct competition with the Sony FF mirrorless, just like Nikon DSLRs are in completion Canon, Sony Pentax etc DSLRs.

I agree Nikon will want their own customers to take to their mirrorless system, but I still don't agree with the fact that they won't be in competition with Sony. If you sell a similar product at (assuringly) a similar price point they are of course going to be in competition with each other ;) I'm not of course saying that that will be Nikon's primary concern (y)

Its certainly going to be competition for Sony I'd agree but I do tend to agree that a large part of it is Nikon potentially looking to unlock more sales to existing users. I think the have a problem in that cameras like the D800/10 and the D750 are almost too good, there very durable and offer a lot of what existing users need, a mirrorless body represents something a little different these users might buy to use along side their DSLR.

Hard to really tell much for sure from that video besides a form pretty similar to the A7(which I suspect is somewhat inevitable if your looking for a small package for FF mirrorless) but it does look like the grip is a bit taller and maybe deeper than Sony's offerings plus I don't see anything on the top of the cameras grip side so perhaps an LCD readout?

Its certainly going to be competition for Sony I'd agree but I do tend to agree that a large part of it is Nikon potentially looking to unlock more sales to existing users. I think the have a problem in that cameras like the D800/10 and the D750 are almost too good, there very durable and offer a lot of what existing users need, a mirrorless body represents something a little different these users might buy to use along side their DSLR.

The D810/D750 being too good isn't a problem that goes away for a new DSLR though and as I've mentioned repeatedly they can't really afford to be complacent and just assume people will keep buying their's regardless of what the competition puts out. Even if it doesn't bring anything new (which seems unlikely) having all the new lens designs as mirrorless only will be a big pull factor, it'll take some time though.

Hard to really tell much for sure from that video besides a form pretty similar to the A7(which I suspect is somewhat inevitable if your looking for a small package for FF mirrorless) but it does look like the grip is a bit taller and maybe deeper than Sony's offerings plus I don't see anything on the top of the cameras grip side so perhaps an LCD readout?

Looked much like a A73 with a larger grip to me, I'm fine with the A73 ergonomics but I only really use lenses under 100mm so it's well suited to me. Can't imagine it'll please people using larger lenses no matter how well designed that grip is but if they bring out a different body for their higher end units it could actually be a positive thing for how they differentiate between ranges.

Yes, of course a new mirrorless camera will be in competition with other brands, but that isn't where Nikon will stand or fall. They must win the hearts and minds of their existing user base first - and TBH the whole company may depend on it. Nikon can't afford either another costly Nikon-1 failure or to get drawn into a head-to-head with other brands.

Nikon (and Canon) must play to its strengths and their great USP is that every new mirrorless camera sold to a current Nikon user will come, in efffect, with a free set of their favourite lenses, ie the ones they already own. This is a massive advantage giving them tremendous market traction right from the start as it simply side-steps the huge total cost of a changing to Sony that rules it out for millions of existing Nikon users (like yourself ;))

Note that I said Nikon's "...primary competition (certainly initially) is not Sony, but themselves and their current DSLR range."

I had the D750 and VERY nearly jumped ship to the A7RIII, the only reasons that I didn't were the ergonomics (not enough room between the grip and lens for me), the very small EVF lag with panning, and cost to swap. Why was I looking to swap? Well the main reason was to have a one system do it all, rather than having to have a second lighter system for travel (I have the EM1 as well). For example the A7 with 24-70mm f4 is noticeably lighter than the D750 with 24-70mm f2.8 or 24-120mm f4 (they obviously don't do a 24-70mm f4). Also, only holiday I do find I use the LCD screen more to focus than I do my general photography, and as we all know Nikon live view sucks. If Nikon could bring out a FF mirrorless to match the Sonys, and bring out a lighter 24-70mm f4 plus still be able to use my existing lenses it'd be a win win for me.

In the meantime I consoled myself with a D850 :LOL:

[/QUOTE]

Yes, of course a new mirrorless camera will be in competition with other brands, but that isn't where Nikon will stand or fall. They must win the hearts and minds of their existing user base first - and TBH the whole company may depend on it. Nikon can't afford either another costly Nikon-1 failure or to get drawn into a head-to-head with other brands.

Nikon (and Canon) must play to its strengths and their great USP is that every new mirrorless camera sold to a current Nikon user will come, in efffect, with a free set of their favourite lenses, ie the ones they already own. This is a massive advantage giving them tremendous market traction right from the start as it simply side-steps the huge total cost of a changing to Sony that rules it out for millions of existing Nikon users (like yourself ;))
agreed (y)

Note that I said Nikon's "...primary competition (certainly initially) is not Sony, but themselves and their current DSLR range."
Oops, missed that subtlety ;)

Well you did say...

Just sayin' some very talented people produce lovely wedding shots with MFT :D That's all :D

I didn’t say you can’t. I said “I like to see”.

I did say, you read it differently. It’s there in the quotes, did I actually say “you can’t shoot weddings with m4/3”.

No I didn’t.

Last edited:
Back