Nikon mirrorless definitely on the way

The D810/D750 being too good isn't a problem that goes away for a new DSLR though and as I've mentioned repeatedly they can't really afford to be complacent and just assume people will keep buying their's regardless of what the competition puts out. Even if it doesn't bring anything new (which seems unlikely) having all the new lens designs as mirrorless only will be a big pull factor, it'll take some time though.

I think you see Nikon acknowledging the pressure with the D850 as well throwing pretty much everything they had into it however even there you could argue that unless your an action shooter it perhaps doesn't make the most compelling upgrade to the D800/10, not in the fashion the D800 was an upgrade from the D700 tripling the resolution. On the non action shooting side you could argue that the smaller size/EVF presents something rather more different that might be enough to get people to buy.

Looked much like a A73 with a larger grip to me, I'm fine with the A73 ergonomics but I only really use lenses under 100mm so it's well suited to me. Can't imagine it'll please people using larger lenses no matter how well designed that grip is but if they bring out a different body for their higher end units it could actually be a positive thing for how they differentiate between ranges.

That I spose is one reason to go with a somewhat larger grip than Sony with users potentially using adapted DSLR lenses although personally I still feel even with smaller lenses the Sony camera like most mirrorless is too small, the Panasonic GH3/4/5/etc and G9 are the only mirrorless bodies that felt that great in the hand to me.

Replace with A7 hump and add top dial

96fc0b44-0be3-11e6-88ff-b50b7f54abb9.jpg
Wow that’s ugly ;)

Things are soon going to get exciting! Can hardly wait after reading the Nikon Rumours spec information. Doubt I’ll be able to get one, but still exciting times.
Yes, just read the specs myself here
https://nikonrumors.com/2018/07/15/...ll-frame-mirrorless-camera-announcement.aspx/

IF the performance matches the specs then it could be very interesting indeed. My concerns are that Nikon haven’t shown that they can make decent on sensor AF yet and to get it right straight off the bat is a big ask. How much R&D they can ‘steal’ from Sony I don’t know. I really hope they pull it off, AND allow use of F-Mount without loss of performance. Will be a while before I could afford it though, got used to 45mp now and looking at the pricing on the Rumors site it’s going to be pretty steep.

and here's the rub! If existing lenses can't be used Nikon will have just shot their foot off. Just look at Sony and the adaptor they have for Canon lenses.
Agreed. Tbh I’d be very surprised if they’re not compatible, the question for me is whether they’ll be as good as native lenses. I know the issue with Nikon is the little lever thing, although I’ve never truly understood why as it’s electronics that control this on f-mount so why you can’t just convey those same electronics across an adapter I don’t know. Clearly I know nothing about electronics ;)

My concerns are that Nikon haven’t shown that they can make decent on sensor AF yet
Not sure that is right Toby, iirc the now discontinued Nikon 1 had on sensor af and from what I remember it was good too ...

Not sure that is right Toby, iirc the now discontinued Nikon 1 had on sensor af and from what I remember it was good too ...
Granted I’ve never used one but from what I’ve read/seen the AF is very good for static subjects in good light but as soon as the light fades it’s not so good, and AF for moving subjects is hit and miss. I’d be interested to hear from actual users though (y)

Granted I’ve never used one but from what I’ve read/seen the AF is very good for static subjects in good light but as soon as the light fades it’s not so good, and AF for moving subjects is hit and miss. I’d be interested to hear from actual users though (y)

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/eu/BV_article?articleNo=000006287&configured=1&lang=en_GB

FT-1 mount adapter limitations of use
Autofocus is available only with AF-S lenses; other lenses support manual focus only. Set the camera focus mode to AF-S (the camera will not focus in other autofocus modes). The only AF-area mode available is Single-point AF and the camera focuses on the subject in the center focus point only. Face-priority AF is not supported. In some cases, a beep may sound, the in-focus indicator may be displayed, and pictures can be taken when the camera is not in focus; if this occurs, focus manually.

Screw drive lenses also dont work and lower light sounds slow.

Last edited:
https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/eu/BV_article?articleNo=000006287&configured=1&lang=en_GB

Autofocus is available only with AF-S lenses; other lenses support manual focus only. Set the camera focus mode to AF-S (the camera will not focus in other autofocus modes). The only AF-area mode available is Single-point AF and the camera focuses on the subject in the center focus point only. Face-priority AF is not supported. In some cases, a beep may sound, the in-focus indicator may be displayed, and pictures can be taken when the camera is not in focus; if this occurs, focus manually.

Tbh we were simply talking about Nikon’s ability to make decent on sensor AF rather than using the V1 with an adapter. However, the fact they can’t make a decent adapter for the V1 doesn’t fill me with confidence about using f-mount on the new z-mount :(

Tbh we were simply talking about Nikon’s ability to make decent on sensor AF rather than using the V1 with an adapter. However, the fact they can’t make a decent adapter for the V1 doesn’t fill me with confidence about using f-mount on the new z-mount :(

I hope they release something competitive because the A7iii has ridiculously good OSPDAF with pretty much full frame coverage for under 2k... even adapted Canon/Sigma lenses are fast considering its a completely different manufacturer/mount.

nikon offering free sensor cleaning for the first ten peeps to get a moth in there camera ,BLINDED BY THE LIGHT :whistle::whistle: :bat::bat::whistle::whistle:

I hope they release something competitive because the A7iii has ridiculously good OSPDAF with pretty much full frame coverage for under 2k... even adapted Canon/Sigma lenses are fast considering its a completely different manufacturer/mount.
I have to agree, the Sony A7III is good and at its price point its pretty much going to be hard to beat. :D

So a complete waste of f*****g time then....

Adapted lenses just aren’t a solution, clumsy, awkward at best.

But we learnt that from Sony didn’t we. Jesus Nikon we learnt that from Sony, you must of missed the memo?

But we learnt that from Sony didn’t we. Jesus Nikon we learnt that from Sony, you must of missed the memo?
The FT1 Mount Adapter is 6 year old technology. You would hope that if they have an adapter for their new mirrorless cameras if will work better and have more integration with the new camera features and older lenses. ;)

Believe me, Nikon's adapter may not be perfect, but it will be nothing like the FT-1.
The Nikon 1 system, was Nikon's attempt to placate those, asking for a mirrorless option. Things have moved on, quite dramatically since then, so this new system and the new adapter, will be a much more serious attempt.

Tony Northrup has been delving deep into the murky shadows of those blurry teaser pics to put some meat on the bones. It's all speculation of course, but aside from the new and rather appealing ergonomic styling, it all seems fairly predictable on the outside - which is good IMHO. The devil is in the detail, particularly how that lens adapter works and how good the AF functionality is, but we'll just have to wait for that :)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9D_NhXAs00

Are we 100% sure it’s a render of the real product and not a mock up of a generic camera? (Let’s not forget Nikon is prone to use Canon photos in the past in their PR literature...). So I question how legit this is, even from Nikon themselves. Is this something the PR department made up or something that came from the R&D?

Are we 100% sure it’s a render of the real product and not a mock up of a generic camera? (Let’s not forget Nikon is prone to use Canon photos in the past in their PR literature...). So I question how legit this is, even from Nikon themselves. Is this something the PR department made up or something that came from the R&D?

Not sure it would change anything :eek:

Roll up, roll up - pay your money and become a tester for Nikon. Not sure I would want to be an early adopter for new technology out of a company that still struggles to get DSLRs out without recalls.
If that floats your boat then spend your money - think I will stay with the Sony for now ;)

Not sure I'd agree adapted is a waste of time on Sony, from the a7rii onwards they work very well.

Most AF options available incl eye af, AFC, all af points and its fast....but not as fast as native.

Last edited:

Werent Nikon the first to introduce phase detection on sensor with the One series? I never used one seriously but there rep on release was as the best AF system on the market at the time.

Not sure their DSLR's lack of liveview AF performance is really that great a guide as they've never really put a great deal of focus on the video market.

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons apparently the patent for the new lens adaptor shows a translucent mirror inside the lens adaptor which could mean a loss of D.R when using the adaptor with current lenses.

Will probably still grab one of these when they launch especially if the 35mm f/0.95 noct lens is also made available on launch.

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons apparently the patent for the new lens adaptor shows a translucent mirror inside the lens adaptor which could mean a loss of D.R when using the adaptor with current lenses.

Will probably still grab one of these when they launch especially if the 35mm f/0.95 noct lens is also made available on launch.

So it'll work like a laea4 if that's true. Bulky with no full frame coverage then. Loses about 1/3 stop of light.

Last edited:

It's the use of the definite article which is ponderous - could it not be " ... apparently the patent for a new lens adaptor" ?

It's the use of the definite article which is ponderous - could it not be " ... apparently the patent for a new lens adaptor" ?

:D Sorry I don't have time to play keyboard warriors. Best of luck trying to start an argument with someone else.

:D Sorry I don't have time to play keyboard warriors. Best of luck trying to start an argument with someone else.

Me neither - but that's the problem with involving oneself on a rumour thread.

I was just saying/implying Companies tend to file a patent for everything new they event invent - to protect their own Intellectual Property Rights.

Enjoy your day ;)

Not sure I'd agree adapted is a waste of time on Sony, from the a7rii onwards they work very well.

Most AF options available incl eye af, AFC, all af points and its fast....but not as fast as native.
I think having an adapter to be able to use other manufacturers glass is a good thing, and as you say works 'reasonably' well. However, I think a manufacturer must make sure their own glass works as good as native (ie F-mount on Z-mount, and A-mount on E-mount) otherwise for me it would be a big disappointment. Out of interest, I assume there is an adapter for A-mount to E-mount, how good is it?

Werent Nikon the first to introduce phase detection on sensor with the One series? I never used one seriously but there rep on release was as the best AF system on the market at the time.

Not sure their DSLR's lack of liveview AF performance is really that great a guide as they've never really put a great deal of focus on the video market.
I've seen a lot of statements that claim their AF system is the fastest or best on the market ;) I'm not saying that Nikon can't or won't do it, just to get it right straight off the bat to be as good or better than the current market leader (well the only one in the FF mirrorless market at the moment) is a tough ask, especially as other manufacturers have had to make several incarnations to get it pretty much there. But who knows, maybe they'll knock it straight out the park (y)

I think having an adapter to be able to use other manufacturers glass is a good thing, and as you say works 'reasonably' well. However, I think a manufacturer must make sure their own glass works as good as native (ie F-mount on Z-mount, and A-mount on E-mount) otherwise for me it would be a big disappointment. Out of interest, I assume there is an adapter for A-mount to E-mount, how good is it?

What would the incentive be in making adapted old glass as good as the new stuff they want to push? For a manufacturer the money is in the lenses and accessories, plus mirrorless lenses are different designs. Sony has come a long way in being able to use Canon glass.... doesn't matter about A mount, it's dead and the E mount glass is much better.

I think you're going to be dissapointed if you expect 100% same performance.

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of statements that claim their AF system is the fastest or best on the market ;) I'm not saying that Nikon can't or won't do it, just to get it right straight off the bat to be as good or better than the current market leader (well the only one in the FF mirrorless market at the moment) is a tough ask, especially as other manufacturers have had to make several incarnations to get it pretty much there. But who knows, maybe they'll knock it straight out the park (y)

Nikon AND Canon will have been working on mirrorless for years!

No way their R&D departments would have held off whilst the others gained a foothold.

If they have then having an ego may be their undoing in future years.

Maybe. But in the DSLR world, Nikon's AF is definitely inferior to Canon's in terms of raw speed on static subjects. I'm not competent to judge how the advanced tracking modes compare with one another, but for a static subject the difference is clear. With Nikons, blink and it's in focus; but with Canons, it's in focus before you'be had time to blink. Obviously on-sensor AF is a different game to off-sensor AF, and the speed might be down to the motors in the lenses as much or more than the camera's abilities - but regardless, if Nikon do deliver class-leading AF on their new cameras it would be a bit of a surprise to me.

What would the incentive be in making adapted old glass as good as the new stuff they want to push? For a manufacturer the money is in the lenses and accessories, plus mirrorless lenses are different designs. Sony has come a long way in being able to use Canon glass.... doesn't matter about A mount, it's dead and the E mount glass is much better.

I think you're going to be dissapointed if you expect 100% same performance.
I’m prepared to be disappointed ;) But what’s the incentive? To not p off existing customers and because they’ll be playing catch up on lens lineup

Maybe. But in the DSLR world, Nikon's AF is definitely inferior to Canon's in terms of raw speed on static subjects. I'm not competent to judge how the advanced tracking modes compare with one another, but for a static subject the difference is clear. With Nikons, blink and it's in focus; but with Canons, it's in focus before you'be had time to blink. Obviously on-sensor AF is a different game to off-sensor AF, and the speed might be down to the motors in the lenses as much or more than the camera's abilities - but regardless, if Nikon do deliver class-leading AF on their new cameras it would be a bit of a surprise to me.
I don’t think it will be class leading either if we’re comparing to DSLRs as well, but I’d be surprised if it’s as good as Sony’s latest A7’s too.

Back