Nikon mirrorless definitely on the way

I guess just use it where you know it performs well and use your DSLR in difficult scenarios till you feel comfortable moving to high end mirrorless completely. Hopefully Canonp offers something that can do that soon (if you want to stick with them).
I bought it as a ‘leisure’ camera, and I love it, but it failed to perform which came as a bit of a shock.

It’ll be a while before I go high end ff. my camera buying is evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

I’ve been using SLRs for 35 years, they haven’t begun to fail to deliver. I’m happy to keep using them for as long as it takes.

Another similar released image on Nikon Rumours from the other side of the camera...

https://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Nikon-mirrorless-camera-swoosh.jpg

Shows there is a control dial below the shutter button as expected, some curve to the grip but not as much as DSLRs and the traditional red area but as a swish on the side presumably to save space under the control dial.

All that does seem to point towards Nikon trying to make this camera as close as possible to a modern DSLR design so perhaps a top plate LCD is likely as well?

Another similar released image on Nikon Rumours from the other side of the camera...

https://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Nikon-mirrorless-camera-swoosh.jpg

Shows there is a control dial below the shutter button as expected, some curve to the grip but not as much as DSLRs and the traditional red area but as a swish on the side presumably to save space under the control dial.

All that does seem to point towards Nikon trying to make this camera as close as possible to a modern DSLR design so perhaps a top plate LCD is likely as well?
Nikon rumors believe it will have a top LCD screen similar to Leica and that new Fuji.

Nikon rumors believe it will have a top LCD screen similar to Leica and that new Fuji.

The G9 also has one.

I bought it as a ‘leisure’ camera, and I love it, but it failed to perform which came as a bit of a shock.

I believe the M5 has a very similar EVF to the Panasonic G80, which is what I currently use. I find it pretty decent in low light with constant preview off [will be called something else on Canon I'm sure] - and I have the assist light off, always. I have never used it at a wedding reception though, maybe it would frustrate me in that kind of scenario.

Have you ever tried the EF/S adapter for your M5?

The G9 also has one.

I believe the M5 has a very similar EVF to the Panasonic G80, which is what I currently use. I find it pretty decent in low light with constant preview off [will be called something else on Canon I'm sure] - and I have the assist light off, always. I have never used it at a wedding reception though, maybe it would frustrate me in that kind of scenario.

Have you ever tried the EF/S adapter for your M5?
I did realise it’d need the exp preview off, but hadn’t realised it’d need the AF assist light off, I think I’ve made it as good as it’ll go, but it’s frustrating compared to a DSLR. I wouldn’t dream of taking it on a job, the failure was at a ‘Greek night’ which I’d previously shot on the 6d with ease.

Yes I have an EF adaptor, the lenses I currently use on the M5 (in order of most use) 22mm EF-m, 85 1.8EF, 15-45 EF-m, 50mm STM. I also have continuous AF disabled and use BBF just like all my other cameras, in daylight it’s instant.

The cheap 3rd party adaptor works as well as a native lens.

I did realise it’d need the exp preview off, but hadn’t realised it’d need the AF assist light off, I think I’ve made it as good as it’ll go, but it’s frustrating compared to a DSLR. I wouldn’t dream of taking it on a job, the failure was at a ‘Greek night’ which I’d previously shot on the 6d with ease.

Yes I have an EF adaptor, the lenses I currently use on the M5 (in order of most use) 22mm EF-m, 85 1.8EF, 15-45 EF-m, 50mm STM. I also have continuous AF disabled and use BBF just like all my other cameras, in daylight it’s instant.

The cheap 3rd party adaptor works as well as a native lens.

I turn off AF assist light just out of personal preference, it doesn't seem to make much difference in general. Maybe if I was shooting in near black I'd switch it on to see if it helped. I find the clear view does help with AF, maybe it's just that I can find something to lock onto easier, the Pany is contrast detect only so I'll find a distinct edge somewhere to lock.

I like the idea of adapting ef and ef-s lenses, there is focal reducing AF adapters for EF to M43 but they'll never work as good as Canon to Canon M, they're also a lot pricier. I wouldn't mind having a 6D and M50 on side with a couple nice primes.

Whilst obviously the sensor size differed the G9 to me actually seemed like it was "calling out" Nikon and Canon with that DSLR like design, basically saying mirrorless had the tech to compete without selling on maximum size saving or retro looks/controls.

I wouldn't mind having a 6D and M50 on side with a couple nice primes.
We have the 6d’s for ‘work’ and the 7d for mostly sports etc, and the M5 for ‘leisure’
But I’d like some more M primes, I reckon I could justify them if they weren’t too expensive.
The primes I own for FF aren’t that useful on the M (other than the 85mm)

We have the 6d’s for ‘work’ and the 7d for mostly sports etc, and the M5 for ‘leisure’
But I’d like some more M primes, I reckon I could justify them if they weren’t too expensive.
The primes I own for FF aren’t that useful on the M (other than the 85mm)

The little 22mm F/2 looks sweet, besides that I'd probably look to old EF/s primes to mess about with. I did ponder over it when I bought the G80 but opted for the better IBIS, articulating screen and better available native lens selection. The M50 is closer again, but it's sorely lacking in on body controls and afaik isn't weather sealed.

What the Canons do have is the bigger sensor and should be much better in low light, image quality wise at higher ISO at least rather then AF

Actually, just checked, the M5 isn't weather sealed either, surprised by that

Last edited:
Another teaser photo, the mount only has 4 screws which doesn't sound good to me unless they are deep screws.
I remember that the original Sony A7 had 4 mount screws and then Sony added more to make the mount stronger as 4 was'nt enough with longer lenses.
It kind of looks like a Fuji GFX but with a Nikon D750 grip...... we'll have to wait and see but looking at this photo it doesn't look that great in terms of body design / shape.

nikon-mirrorless-brightened.jpeg

Last edited:
Another teaser photo, the mount only has 4 screws which doesn't sound good to me unless they are deep screws.
I remember that the original Sony A7 had 4 mount screws and then Sony added more to make the mount stronger as 4 was'nt enough with longer lenses.
It kind of looks like a Fuji GFX but with a Nikon D750 grip...... we'll have to wait and see but looking at this photo it doesn't look that great in terms of body design / shape.

nikon-mirrorless-brightened.jpeg
Looks like one of the worst mock ups I've seen. IF this is genuine then it looks one ugly camera ;)

Although to be fair it does seem to be a still from a genuine Nikon teaser video:

View: https://youtu.be/EpDESrM_42U

My goodness, that is an ugly looking camera!
I thought "surely not, must just be someone messing about on youtube" but then when I clicked through to youtube the video was posted by Nikon Europe. Wow it's ugly :puke: Maybe it's one of those things that's so ugly it becomes cool :ROFLMAO:

They said A7 series was ugly when it came out. Besides what is a beautiful camera?
TBH I don't think it's particularly bad and I don't think it matters either way if it performs well.

They said A7 series was ugly when it came out. Besides what is a beautiful camera?
TBH I don't think it's particularly bad and I don't think it matters either way if it performs well.
Granted, DSLRs aren't pretty and the A7 is no looker either, but this does look like it's been beaten with the ugly stick ;)

What is a beautiful camera? Obviously that's subjective but for me the best lookers of the digital world are any of the Olympus OMD series plus the Pen-F, and the Leica M series imo (y)

By the time they get around to releasing long lenses the mount will have sufficiently matured to take them. Mk2-3 perhaps.

By the time they get around to releasing long lenses the mount will have sufficiently matured to take them. Mk2-3 perhaps.
Fair point..... :) Interesting times....

I'd be surprised if Nikon don't make a mount that's strong enough tbh.

Granted, DSLRs aren't pretty and the A7 is no looker either, but this does look like it's been beaten with the ugly stick ;)

What is a beautiful camera? Obviously that's subjective but for me the best lookers of the digital world are any of the Olympus OMD series plus the Pen-F, and the Leica M series imo (y)
Leica M and pen F are a bit bland and no grip.

Last camera that caught my eye for looks alone was the Pen E-PL9 blue denim edition :D

But surely Nikon will try to leverage their big advantage over Sony, which is all the big (and heavy) lenses. There have been reports that the new camera will be launched with an adapter that will provide close to 100% functionality and perforrmance with F-mount lenses; so the camera mount has to be strong enough from the outset.

Looks like it may actually have a decent grip without needing a battery grip!!

Can’t really say it’s ugly just from the outlines.

I think it's the deep grips that make most cameras ugly. OMD EM5 and EM10 models look nice but the EM1's while not ugly don't have the same appeal. Any Rangefinder type body seems to be on a better starting footing. Can't see the this Nikon being pretty!

The X-T2 looks quite nice but the X-H1 with the big grip looks so much more utilitarian.

Last edited:
Amazed that people are making judgments about the number of screws being insufficient whilst being in complete ignorance as to what size those screws are and what they're going into!

Looks like a weight of about 650 gms.

I don’t care how it looks, how it feels in hand is more important.

Looks okay to me, chunky, utilitarian (the new cool), good grip and the off-set viewfinder may mean that we can actually look through the thing without smearing the LCD with nose grease (y)

Amazed that people are making judgments about the number of screws being insufficient whilst being in complete ignorance as to what size those screws are and what they're going into!

And four is plenty. The bigger mount also means less leverage with heavy lenses. Didn't Sony have a problem with light leaks with the original A7 mount? Another camera hailed as ugly at launch.

Edit: both Nikon and Canon have only four screws securing the lens mount, same as most others. You only need more, perhaps, when bolting into a composite chassis.

Last edited:

If only the engineers at Nikon looked on the internet they would know 4 screws are not enough, they probably haven't even thought about putting a big lens on it....

Last edited:
IMO the only good looking

If only the engineers at Nikon looked on the internet they would know 4 screws are not enough, they probably haven't even thought about putting a big lens on it....

And the styling was obviously never addressed in the dozens of research groups. Not once :eek:

Sweet (y)

Small size is only good right up to the time you actually want to use a camera. Low weight is (almost) always good. If 650g is right, that would be spot-on IMHO

Sweet (y)

Small size is only good right up to the time you actually want to use a camera. Low weight is (almost) always good. If 650g is right, that would be spot-on IMHO

Err... It's not like I didn't use my A7 which IMO was the right size and weight.

Sweet (y)

Im using some big primes on the A7iii and it feels fine (35 and 50 ART), its a big improvement over the Mk1, deep grip also helps with smaller cams. The good thing is its small and if you want it bigger you add an L bracket or the pinky grip or the battery grip, make it bigger accordingly.... cant go backwards with a bigger cam though. I think the Nikons size looks fine.

Back