Nikon mirrorless definitely on the way

Oh FFS - this has to be the most pointless thread - why do people bother speculating and guessing what Nikon will do - just wait and see; I doubt you would have any intention of swapping to it anyway so why bother posting unless for fun? What we say will have zero effect on this release.

People have fun speculating. Let them get on with it :rolleyes:

Oh FFS - this has to be the most pointless ...............bother posting unless for fun? What we say will have zero effect on this release.

Unless for fun is pretty relevant - in other words I can't believe people are getting upset over a bit of leg pulling!

Unless for fun is pretty relevant - in other words I can't believe people are getting upset over a bit of leg pulling!

I think messages online are often misinterpreted, everyone so far seems to be just having a bit of a laugh, it is exciting that the big boys are joining the fun though. We're online (and mostly bored) anyway. :)

... we all know that Nikon just does recalls, canon doesnt deliver because they are scared of cannibalism, Fuji releases a new cam with the same sensor every week, Sony has ridiculously priced gear, Olympus and Panasonic... Aren't they still using that ancient tiny sensor with really amazing ibis? :exit:

Exciting times.

That latest pic actually makes it look rather like the F-100 to me...

f100-10-L.jpg

I mean perhaps not the best looking camera ever made but a dam sight better looking than the Sony A7's I would say that are progressively looking more and more like a collection of random parts glued together.

f100-10-L.jpg

I mean perhaps not the best looking camera ever made but a dam sight better looking than the Sony A7's I would say that are progressively looking more and more like a collection of random parts glued together.
I dunno, think I might actually prefer the A7 :eek:

I dunno, think I might actually prefer the A7 :eek:

Looks like a cut and shut job to me, been hit hard with the ugly stick.
Think you are right, the Snapman does look nicer :)

Looks marginally better with a lens on ;)

FB9B2657-C686-433B-9FCA-CDBA57D0CBDB.jpeg

Last edited:
Although personally I'v always liked the modern Nikon DSLR design, even when I was a Canon shooter.

Although personally I'v always liked the modern Nikon DSLR design, even when I was a Canon shooter.
For me most DSLRs are leaning towards being ugly rather than pretty. Actually, maybe they fit into the ‘functional’ category rather than ugly ;) Ive always preferred the look of Nikon over Canon DSLRs for some reason. I think it might be the red stripe breaking up the monotony of black ;)

You can get some glitter and flame decals if you're worried about how pretty your camera looks.

TBH as far as I'm concerned, the last innovative *looking* camera was the T90, and everyone has been trying to produce ugly variations of its theme ever since. Having said that, I did very much like the looks of the Minolta 9000, but that wasn't anything like as novel as the Canon.

The head on shape of the F100 looks similar to the Nikon mirrorless shape in the teaser vids/images, but with a huge lens mount. ;) It will be smaller than that, (F100 155mm x 113mm x 66mm) and the body will be a lot shallower in depth. I think the actual body will be slightly boxier too.

As with the Sony's though, if the camera gives the performance and features people want, they will mentally make allowances for any poor ergonomics. And indeed dismiss poor ergonomics as irrelevant, as Sony users do. ;) :LOL:

As with the Sony's though, if the camera gives the performance and features people want, they will mentally make allowances for any poor ergonomics. And indeed dismiss poor ergonomics as irrelevant, as Sony users do. ;) :LOL:
Perhaps dismissed as irrelevant as there is no (mirrorless) alternative. But ergonomics could be a deciding factor assuming Nikon hits enough of the right tick boxes.

Ford made a good car with the Focus, but it's looks did nothing for sales

I read a great mirrorless quote some time ago that went something like

Canon are sat on the Sofa
Nikon are looking outside the front door and sniffing the air.
Sony have landed on the Moon.

I used to be a Sony fanboy but went to Nikon and I’ll stay with them now.

I think it could all be a big game and the next Nikon will be a TLR - best of both worlds; Optical viewfinder with a mirrorless taking lens,

...........I would love a nice digital TLR - The next Nikoflex :)

Last edited:
I think one of the most bizarre things I have seen elsewhere was someone I follow on Instagram saying he wouldn't buy it and it'll fail as it only looks like it has one mode dial, not several like Fuji do!!

o_O

I think one of the most bizarre things I have seen elsewhere was someone I follow on Instagram saying he wouldn't buy it and it'll fail as it only looks like it has one mode dial, not several like Fuji do!!

o_O
People have weird ideas ;) My D850 doesn't really have a mode dial as such, I'm surprised it turns on at all :LOL:

o_O
I can understand not buying it because it is a mirroless camera and you prefer DSLRs. I can understand not buying because you don't like Nikon or you prefer another brand. I can't understand making buying decisions from a few pictures of the outline of a camera and no confirmed specs. :confused: :thinking: Each to there own though eh! :LOL:

For me most DSLRs are leaning towards being ugly rather than pretty. Actually, maybe they fit into the ‘functional’ category rather than ugly ;) Ive always preferred the look of Nikon over Canon DSLRs for some reason. I think it might be the red stripe breaking up the monotony of black ;)

I'v never really agree with that, I mean the Nikon designs come from someone who normally works on supercars do they not? personally I think they'll be looked back on rather better than a lot of recent nostalgia releases.

In terms of the lens mount one thing that potentially comes to mind is that the rumours of it being 49mm might be referring to something rather different to what people are expecting. Perhaps rather than the internal mount size they might be referring to the useable size of the rear element?

I'v never really agree with that, I mean the Nikon designs come from someone who normally works on supercars do they not? personally I think they'll be looked back on rather better than a lot of recent nostalgia releases.

In terms of the lens mount one thing that potentially comes to mind is that the rumours of it being 49mm might be referring to something rather different to what people are expecting. Perhaps rather than the internal mount size they might be referring to the useable size of the rear element?
Sure italdesign designed a few nice cars (although I can only think of one that ‘might’ go into the super car category) but cars and cameras are two different things ;) Obviously though beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I’m not sold on big chunks of black ‘plastic’ ;) Earlier SLRs are much more attractive imo (as well as some of the vintage cameras) but that’s just my preference (y). My favourite camera in terms of looks that I own is the OM1 but I appreciate that ergonomics have improved since then.

It wouldn't surprise me too much if the new camera has some design elements from the Nikon 1 V2. The viewfinder housing is a similar shape, though smaller because of the relative size of the viewfinder to the body, and slightly more central.

41O1V%2BBMxCL.jpg

The handgrip in the teaser images seems more contoured like the DSLR designs though.

In one of the pics the rear LCD seemed quite big and seemed to take up a similar amount of space on the rear as the V2.

666-highres-nikon-1-v2-5_1354614774_1360934330.jpg

You would hope with a larger camera to play with they would add more buttons and controls.

The viewfinder looks like it protrudes from the body a lot more than on the V2. There looks like a bit sticking out for the thumb
to hold on to too.
Nikon-M-back.jpg

Sure italdesign designed a few nice cars (although I can only think of one that ‘might’ go into the super car category) but cars and cameras are two different things ;) Obviously though beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I’m not sold on big chunks of black ‘plastic’ ;) Earlier SLRs are much more attractive imo (as well as some of the vintage cameras) but that’s just my preference (y). My favourite camera in terms of looks that I own is the OM1 but I appreciate that ergonomics have improved since then.

The ones actually designed by them were mostly metal of course, it tended to be the cheaper options that were rather less interesting takes on the same concept.

I do think that nostalgia and familiarity play a big part here, I look around at modern camera design and really not much of it grabs me besides Nikon. Its either revivalism like Fuji and Leica(although I did like the S2 and R8/R9) or bland functionality like Sony and Canon or I spose whatever the hell Pentax are doing when the occasionally lose their minds. Nikon on the other hand does actually attempt more modern industrlia design, the shape of the upper grip, prism and top plate generally isn't merely functional.

Last edited:
It wouldn't surprise me too much if the new camera has some design elements from the Nikon 1 V2. The viewfinder housing is a similar shape, though smaller because of the relative size of the viewfinder to the body, and slightly more central.

41O1V%2BBMxCL.jpg

The handgrip in the teaser images seems more contoured like the DSLR designs though.

In one of the pics the rear LCD seemed quite big and seemed to take up a similar amount of space on the rear as the V2.

You would hope with a larger camera to play with they would add more buttons and controls.

The viewfinder looks like it protrudes from the body a lot more than on the V2. There looks like a bit sticking out for the thumb
to hold on to too.
Nikon-M-back.jpg

Now that's just pessimism.

41O1V%2BBMxCL.jpg

to hold on to too.
Nikon-M-back.jpg
My eyes, my eyes :puke:

Nikon's 1 series do seem to be their T70.

Possibly the most attractive camera Nikon made in the last 15 years is the Df, simply because it looks like a camera, instead of a moulded plastic blob.

Last edited:
Nikon's 1 series do seem to be their T70.

Possibly the most attractive camera Nikon made in the last 15 years is the Df, simply because it looks like a camera, instead of a moulded plastic blob.

Really? The DF looks like a toy camera styled after an old SLR. Give me the F100 any day! (I had one, he only Nikon I've ever liked). The Fuji X-T100 is my kind of styling, if only they did it with proper features.

Really? The DF looks like a toy camera styled after an old SLR. Give me the F100 any day! (I had one, he only Nikon I've ever liked). The Fuji X-T100 is my kind of styling, if only they did it with proper features.
I don’t like the DF either, like a metal version of a fisher price camera ;)

Just so long as it doesn’t have the very quirky (and I’m being kind) UI of the F70

Back