Nikon mirrorless definitely on the way

Anyone tried or own the Sigma 24-35 f2 ART. Seems an odd focal range but gets excellent reviews for resolution.

May have changed but in January Canon were leading mirrorless sales which to me says a lot about brand loyalty. Will be interesting too see where Nikon slot in.

This is based on the below though:

These numbers represent the Japan camera market, using about 50% of the sales data out of Japan. While Japanese market numbers are typically a good indicator of worldwide market, mirrorless numbers are often very different in the Asian market, where the technology caught on much faster than in Europe and the Americas.

Some numbers (up to 2017) here. Shows that while mirrorless camera sales have been rising, they are still not up to DSLR levels (still about 65% of interchangeable camera market) after 10 years. It also shows the difference between how Asia embraces mirrorless a lot more than the rest of the world. How much a Nikon mirrorless camera may or not have any impact on the 2018/19 numbers will be interesting. :thinking:

Anyone tried or own the Sigma 24-35 f2 ART. Seems an odd focal range but gets excellent reviews for resolution.

Not used one but been tempted a few times. Every review I've read suggests it's better to think of it as three fast primes (24,28 and 35) in one rather than try to compare it to traditional zooms. The shorter range makes more sense in that context. But I'm not sure how popular they actually are and I wonder if that is because people often tend to sit in the prime or zoom camp and maybe this doesn't offer quite the full benefits of either in particular. Still would love to try one.

Not used one but been tempted a few times. Every review I've read suggests it's better to think of it as three fast primes (24,28 and 35) in one rather than try to compare it to traditional zooms. The shorter range makes more sense in that context. But I'm not sure how popular they actually are and I wonder if that is because people often tend to sit in the prime or zoom camp and maybe this doesn't offer quite the full benefits of either in particular. Still would love to try one.

I’m tempted to get one for my D850. Would be ok for Astro as well as I could run my 5D4 and the D850 side by side with different focal lengths.

Hardly looks compact as in CSC
I think they will try and move away from that name now that they're going FF tbh. CSC is more apt for m4/3, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just get called mirrorless in the future (which in itself isn't a great name as consumer copycats and phones etc are also mirrorless :facepalm: ;))

Looks about the size of a GH5 or G9 which are the larger side of mirrorless bodies currently. That model looks terrified :eek:

I think they will try and move away from that name now that they're going FF tbh. CSC is more apt for m4/3, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just get called mirrorless in the future (which in itself isn't a great name as consumer copycats and phones etc are also mirrorless :facepalm: ;))
Maybe, but Sony have managed to stay compact with FF, at least with the bodies.

There was whispers about them going beyond FF, going by the huge mount, or that it could be to enable a more sophisticated FF IBIS system, something Sony have yet to perfect

Maybe, but Sony have managed to stay compact with FF, at least with the bodies.
Compact-ish ;) But Sony have gone too far imo, there's not much room between the grip and lens and I catch my fingers so there's absolutely no way you'd be able to use them with gloves (even the EM1 has more room for your fingers), and they feel unbalanced with large lenses, made even worse when you use something like the 70-200mm f2.8 in portrait orientation.

Compact-ish ;) But Sony have gone too far imo, there's not much room between the grip and lens and I catch my fingers so there's absolutely no way you'd be able to use them with gloves (even the EM1 has more room for your fingers), and they feel unbalanced with large lenses, made even worse when you use something like the 70-200mm f2.8 in portrait orientation.
You can always had a grip.

Ibis on the Sony's ain't that bad

They have gotten much better, but they're still not up to Olympus or Panasonic standard IBIS - I know it's easier for them with the much smaller sensor. Could that huge Z mount be to cater for the movement of an even better IBIS system?

They have gotten much better, but they're still not up to Olympus or Panasonic standard IBIS - I know it's easier for them with the much smaller sensor. Could that huge Z mount be to cater for the movement of an even better IBIS system?
No familiar with there ibis but just how much better are they? 2 stops?

It's overall effectiveness. Sony claim 5 stops, which is the same as the better M43 offerings [the G9 claims 6.5 stops] but for video at least, it doesn't compare. They just don't have the room for that larger sensor to move as much as the ones in M43 bodies, so it's nowhere near as smooth, pretty jerky and largely unusable for walking/vlogging [which seems to be what the masses want now] - Even with my G80 I could walk and shoot video and it'll seem like it's on a gimbal if I'm careful, and with a standard lens I can hand hold up to a second with practice for stills. The EM1 mkII and G9 have users reporting multiple second hand held shots. You're never doing this with a current Sony.

Exp comp dial according to previous mock ups but really needs to be a control dial imo.

I only recall seeing guesses at this not reports from those who'd been testing it, the camera has a top plate LCD and what looks like an exposure comp button so I'm guessing no dedicated dial as with Sony and the control wheel has just been raised to the top to make more space for the grip.

I only recall seeing guesses at this not reports from those who'd been testing it, the camera has a top plate LCD and what looks like an exposure comp button so I'm guessing no dedicated dial as with Sony and the control wheel has just been raised to the top to make more space for the grip.
Sony have two control dials so I'm not sure I follow? I don't like using cameras without two control dials, I use the front for aperture control and rear for shutter, how else do you control these two parameters when using manual mode?

1 sec handheld @17mm and I shake like a Morris minor on a cobbled street. Yeah its not a great photo, I was just messing with the camera settings and just took a quick snap

P8130010.jpg

Some numbers (up to 2017) here. Shows that while mirrorless camera sales have been rising, they are still not up to DSLR levels (still about 65% of interchangeable camera market) after 10 years. It also shows the difference between how Asia embraces mirrorless a lot more than the rest of the world. How much a Nikon mirrorless camera may or not have any impact on the 2018/19 numbers will be interesting. :thinking:

What does it matter though? Canon and Nikon don't have any high end mirrorless cameras, until they do what does comparing the numbers actually tell us?

Sony has 2 command dials (front and rear) and exp comp dial.

Sony have two control dials so I'm not sure I follow? I don't like using cameras without two control dials, I use the front for aperture control and rear for shutter, how else do you control these two parameters when using manual mode?

Sony has two control dials and the top plate exposure comp dial, I suspect people are making the mistake of thinking the Nikon camera having its top plate dial in the same position as Sony's exposure comp dial means its also going to also be used for exposure comp. My guess is that actually its a normal control dial and the exposure comp will be delt with in a similar fashion to their DSLR's, via a combination of a shift button(the camera has a mode dial so doesn't need a mode button) near the shutter button and display on the top plate LCD. You look elsewhere at the camera and it seems to be trying to keep to a the same design as Nikon's DSLR's as closely as possible so suddenly introducing an exposure comp dial would be a bit strange.

Last edited:
Sony has two control dials and the top plate exposure comp dial, I suspect people are making the mistake of thinking the Nikon camera having its top plate dial in the same position as Sony's exposure comp dial means its also going to also be used for exposure comp. My guess is that actually its a normal control dial and the exposure comp will be delt with in a similar fashion to their DSLR's, via a combination of a shift button near the shutter button and display on the top plate LCD. You look elsewhere at the camera and it seems to be trying to keep to a the same design as Nikon's DSLR's as closely as possible so suddenly introducing an exposure comp dial would be a bit strange.

I also think this is Nikon's plan, perhaps it will also be programmable to exp comp or iso. Pretty sure the first images looked to have exp button on top like d750.

Last edited:
Sony has two control dials and the top plate exposure comp dial, I suspect people are making the mistake of thinking the Nikon camera having its top plate dial in the same position as Sony's exposure comp dial means its also going to also be used for exposure comp. My guess is that actually its a normal control dial and the exposure comp will be delt with in a similar fashion to their DSLR's, via a combination of a shift button near the shutter button and display on the top plate LCD. You look elsewhere at the camera and it seems to be trying to keep to a the same design as Nikon's DSLR's as closely as possible so suddenly introducing an exposure comp dial would be a bit strange.
I thought I’d seen a pic of the top/rear dial with the exp settings on it tbh, but it’s all guesswork until it comes out ;)

I’m really excited for this and if the D850 is anything to go by, Nikon should do the whole kitchen sink approach and throw absolutely anything at it and even if it’s £3000, as long as the AF is good (sensor isn’t in doubt), people are going to buy it.

58/0.95 have me excited too......

What does it matter though? Canon and Nikon don't have any high end mirrorless cameras, until they do what does comparing the numbers actually tell us?
I was responding to how the mirrorless market is doing in different regions, and highlighting the current market share (up to 2017) of DSLR and mirrorless (65/35), and while the mirrorless market share increases every year, it will be interesting to see how much impact a Nikon mirrorless has a year or two down the line. The prevailing theme on photo sites is that the DSLR is dead, and many could be forgiven for thinking that mirrorless rules the world, but the numbers continue to show, at least for now, that that is not in fact the case. ;)

And btw, if we're talking about things that 'matter', none of this 'matters', ;) but it can be interesting, :) and I found the statistics interesting, and thought others may too. If you don't, that's fine. :)

I’m really excited for this and if the D850 is anything to go by, Nikon should do the whole kitchen sink approach and throw absolutely anything at it and even if it’s £3000, as long as the AF is good (sensor isn’t in doubt), people are going to buy it.

I agree, but make it £1000 so I have some chance :D

Back