Nikon mirrorless definitely on the way

The 50mm 1.8D lens still currently on sale and likely to be purchased by an entry level user (because it's cheaper than the 1.8G) won't AF.
Sure, but that's one lens (I believe there's also a couple of others) but there's a newer equivalent that isn't that much more expensive tbh. I wonder how many consumers use primes?

I think we might be surprised how many consumers do at least a little research before buying a dslr. Even if they only google "best lens for Nikon D3000" or whatever, they are sure to come across both primes and short zooms that work well. The first ever lens I had for my first dslr was a 50mm 1.7. I am the type who looks into anything I'm about to buy, whether it's a camera, a stereo, phone ... I'm sure many non enthusiasts do too. The odd few will end up stumped with a lens that won't focus, hopefully from there they do the research

I think we might be surprised how many consumers do at least a little research before buying a dslr. Even if they only google "best lens for Nikon D3000" or whatever, they are sure to come across both primes and short zooms that work well. The first ever lens I had for my first dslr was a 50mm 1.7. I am the type who looks into anything I'm about to buy, whether it's a camera, a stereo, phone ... I'm sure many non enthusiasts do too. The odd few will end up stumped with a lens that won't focus, hopefully from there they do the research
I'm sure there are, but I'd be interested to see how many of those there are vs the ones that go out and buy the camera with kit lens(es)? My point was though that I would be very surprised if there was a significant number of newbie togs that buy a camera wanting to use old/legacy lenses or even knowing that you can. As always I'm happy to be proven wrong ;)

I'm sure there are, but I'd be interested to see how many of those there are vs the ones that go out and buy the camera with kit lens(es)? My point was though that I would be very surprised if there was a significant number of newbie togs that buy a camera wanting to use old/legacy lenses or even knowing that you can. As always I'm happy to be proven wrong ;)

At lower levels I suspect price is probably what people are looking at most and I think that's one of Canon's great draws with APSC DSLR's and mirrorless, the kind of lenses casual buyers are after aren't generally sold at a premium.

Going up to the price range of FF mirrorless though I suspect some degree of research becomes more common, perhaps not pawing though loads of technical lens reviews but picking up on the general talk of a lens being good or bad relative to the competition.

New teaser video, says DSLR-like handling, but much lighter. Works with 'all my F-mount lenses' with adapter, possibly supplied free. Lenses at launch include 24-70/4, 50/1.8, 35/1.8 with 24mm and Noct (f/0.95?) to follow.

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/08/20/new-nikon-mirrorless-camera-teaser-video.aspx/
Looks quite a bit smaller in that image than the others to me. Seems they've opted for the more 'consumer' mode dial, not that that's an issue as I liked it on the D750.

At lower levels I suspect price is probably what people are looking at most and I think that's one of Canon's great draws with APSC DSLR's and mirrorless, the kind of lenses casual buyers are after aren't generally sold at a premium.

Going up to the price range of FF mirrorless though I suspect some degree of research becomes more common, perhaps not pawing though loads of technical lens reviews but picking up on the general talk of a lens being good or bad relative to the competition.
I think entry level Nikon gear is certainly a match to Canon price wise tbh. Yep, I agree I think that as you go up in cost people will research more, but I don't think anyone buying into the new mirrorless can complain at Nikon's AF-S and AF-P lens lineup (assuming they are compatible and the others aren't) (y)

It could be an advert for just about any mirrorless, they really aren't giving much away. When is the full reveal? I heard end of this month sometime? The sooner they just get on with it

It could be an advert for just about any mirrorless, they really aren't giving much away. When is the full reveal? I heard end of this month sometime? The sooner they just get on with it
23rd I thought?

• The Nikon Z6/Z7 have many similarities to the Sony's 7 series
  • The new Z-mount is almost as large as medium format mount for some 6x6 SLR cameras
  • Handling and ergonomics are perfect
  • The Nikon Z6 and Nikon Z7 have exactly the same body and use the same battery
  • The EVF is fixed
  • There are no scene modes
  • There is a green AUTO mode as well as PSAM and 3 user settings
  • Both 24-70 f/4 and 50 f/1.8 lenses have a very fast AF, on the test images there were some signs of vignetting when shooting wide open

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2018/08/16/...-actually-used-the-camera.aspx/#ixzz5OigaOqP2

With a release date not until spring 2019 probably :facepalm:

Comes down to size and weight again tbh, plus I find I use live view a lot on travels. To get a DX bodies with the features that I want, as well as weather sealing I'd probably be looking at something like the D7200, and then I'd have to buy another lens for travel as the 24-70mm f2.8 is heavy and not wide enough on the DX body. I tried Fuji but didn't like the rendering, and I've always been happy with Olympus. Add that I can take the 40-150mm f4-5.6 R (80-300mm eq) without even knowing I have it on me I then have a tele lens for the rare occasion that I might need it (y)
what was it about the Fuji rendering you didnt like Toby? just wondered like :D

This thread is absolutely massive so picking through the info is not that easy (Especially when you have little time) - Anyone have any rough idea's of a potential price? Sorry if mentioned (Probably several times)! Thanks :)

Thank you for the info - Again perhaps a stupid question, are our normal SLR FX/DX lenses going to be interchangeable with these?

Their latest teaser states that your current FX lenses will work on it, not sure about DX, it may have a crop mode inbuilt. It'll probably have an adapter in the kit

Their latest teaser states that your current FX lenses will work on it, not sure about DX, it may have a crop mode inbuilt. It'll probably have an adapter in the kit

Thank you for the info. Definitely looks like a great option. Last Mirrorless i used was an X-T1 and i didn't get on with it at all, so very much looking forward to this.

Thank you for the info. Definitely looks like a great option. Last Mirrorless i used was an X-T1 and i didn't get on with it at all, so very much looking forward to this.

I had that camera too, I thought it was decent, but obviously could be better and was improved upon a lot with the T-2. Combined with the 35mm 1.4 it was a great combination for general, street, candids and even landscape. Only really felt I needed extra when shooting the very odd bit of wildlife - The guy I sold it on to is traveling the world atm and throwing up some really beautiful images on IG using that very combo, I'm delighted he's making better use of it than I did :D

I had that camera too, I thought it was decent, but obviously could be better and was improved upon a lot with the T-2. Combined with the 35mm 1.4 it was a great combination for general, street, candids and even landscape. Only really felt I needed extra when shooting the very odd bit of wildlife - The guy I sold it on to is traveling the world atm and throwing up some really beautiful images on IG using that very combo, I'm delighted he's making better use of it than I did :D

I hated it, but funnily enough i looked over some of the images i took that hadn't been processed yet and the raw images were very very good quality (In my eyes). I pretty much exclusively photograph wildlife so it was always back to the DSLR. Similar story with the bloke who bought it off me, still keep in contact now and he loves it.

I think entry level Nikon gear is certainly a match to Canon price wise tbh. Yep, I agree I think that as you go up in cost people will research more, but I don't think anyone buying into the new mirrorless can complain at Nikon's AF-S and AF-P lens lineup (assuming they are compatible and the others aren't) (y)

They've caught up when it comes to offering a cheap UWA zoom recently certainly.

I suspect part of the reason the EOS-M has surpassed the Sony E offerings is better kit lens, cheap 22mm F/2 and a far cheaper UWA zoom. Better value and performance on core lenses can potentially trump a larger lens selection.

Last edited:
They've caught up when it comes to offering a cheap UWA zoom recently certainly.

I suspect part of the reason the EOS-M has surpassed the Sony E offerings is better kit lens, cheap 22mm F/2 and a far cheaper UWA zoom. Better value and performance on core lenses can potentially trump a larger lens selection.
And that Canon users will buy anything Canon* ;) :p

*joke ;)

I hated it, but funnily enough i looked over some of the images i took that hadn't been processed yet and the raw images were very very good quality (In my eyes). I pretty much exclusively photograph wildlife so it was always back to the DSLR. Similar story with the bloke who bought it off me, still keep in contact now and he loves it.

What did you hate about it? I added a grip to mine and it felt really nice with that attached, also doubled the battery life.

Sure, but that's one lens (I believe there's also a couple of others) but there's a newer equivalent that isn't that much more expensive tbh. I wonder how many consumers use primes?

Wex prices - 50 1.8D £129, 50 1.8G £219. It's likely few consumers use primes to begin with, but a number will look for additional lenses after a while.

In the grand scheme of things it's no big deal, but it's made me less than impressed at Nikon's approach to their lens mount and camera compatibility, and I doubt I'm alone. For me photography is a strictly cash-limited hobby, and I often wait & save to buy a used older lens at a price I can afford, rather than something new and shiny at a price I definitely can't. It's just lucky that I have a D610 instead of a crop camera and can use various old and manual lenses with it.

Green auto button on dial. I'll take it then, that the Z6 and Z7, are aimed at the consumer market.

Seems so, just like all the Canon 5D's and the Sony alpha's. ;)

Careful! I still get it 'thrown in my face' the fact I called the Canon 5D a Pro-sumer camera in a thread! ( I still think it is as I refer to the 'flagship' bodies from a manufacturer as the full Pro bodies.)

Wex prices - 50 1.8D £129, 50 1.8G £219. It's likely few consumers use primes to begin with, but a number will look for additional lenses after a while.

In the grand scheme of things it's no big deal, but it's made me less than impressed at Nikon's approach to their lens mount and camera compatibility, and I doubt I'm alone. For me photography is a strictly cash-limited hobby, and I often wait & save to buy a used older lens at a price I can afford, rather than something new and shiny at a price I definitely can't. It's just lucky that I have a D610 instead of a crop camera and can use various old and manual lenses with it.
I don’t understand why people complain about their approach to lens mount tbh. As far as I can tell they’ve tried to keep as many of their lenses as available as possible to use in newer bodies, more than any other company AFAIK. Granted some don’t work on every body but if you are the type of person who wants to use legacy glass you are not short of bodies to use.

No-one as yet knows exactly what compatability the new z-mount will have, but let’s assume that they ‘only’ make AF-S and AF-P lenses available, that’s still a hell of a lot of choice, still a lot better to existing customers than Sony’s e-mount and also Canon when they switched to EF Mount. Imo Nikon have been far more loyal to their customers than many other brands. Unfortunately tech does move on and you can’t expect everything to be compatible forever. That’s my view anyway, YMMV (y)

^ I'd be very surprised if our AF lenses work fully, I can't see the body having a motor inside, nor the adapter. Shame :(

The adapter will be an add on that comes in the box with the camera, you won't use it for the new lenses - that's what I see them doing

Ahem :p

https://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/pro-dslr-cameras/

weDc9TG.png

The adapter will be an add on that comes in the box with the camera, you won't use it for the new lenses - that's what I see them doing
Yes - I was aware of that. I wasn't clear - I don't see the adapter housing a focus motor for the older AF lenses. I am sure the adapter will allow AF-S and AF-P lenses to work correctly as well as fully manual lenses.

Yes - I was aware of that. I wasn't clear - I don't see the adapter housing a focus motor for the older AF lenses. I am sure the adapter will allow AF-S and AF-P lenses to work correctly as well as fully manual lenses.

Nm, I read your post incorrectly, I thought you said can't see the adapter being included, my bad

It's technically possible but agreed, I don't think they will do it either.

Following this with interest, i'm 2.5 years in with a D750 that i promised my wife would last me at least 5 years:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Maybe in another 2.5 years these will be affordable enought for me to change to.

It's technically possible but agreed, I don't think they will do it either.
Me neither. No doubt some will complain, but I personally think it would be unjust criticism.

Back