Nikon mirrorless definitely on the way

There are quite a lot of compatibility issues between various cameras and AF lenses. For example I own an IR converted D70, and a number current and past lenses are completely incompatible (no AF, metering or iris control). None of the screw-driven lenses are AF compatible with the entry and enthusiast level crop cameras in the 3XXX and 5XXX series. It would not be surprising if screw-drive AF lenses were incompatible with both the body and any adapters from Nikon.

You're right I shouldn't have said all af lenses, but Nikon may do what sony did and add the af motor to the adapter like the laea4, metering won't be an issue and I'd be very surprised if aperture control isn't available on body (lenses with contacts) or manually on lenses without.

Depends if Nikon thinks it's worth supporting much older screw driven lenses or not. We'll know soon enough.

If I was thinking of buying into an exchangeable lens camera system I'd be sitting on my hands right now. Sooner or later mirrorless technology is going to take over from the flapping mirror technology of the DSLR. At the moment DSLR technology still dominates the market. Sony has been restlessly innovating and trying to develop the technology with which to get there first and establish a dominant market position before Canon and Nikon wake up. It's taken longer than they expected. Despite the great success of their E and FE mount mirrorless cameras, they still haven't been able to replace all the things that old mirror can do, some of which it still does a bit better. Hence their continuation of the DSLR form factor with the A-mount and its stationary pellicle mirror. Their DSLRs have become the halfway hybrid house of DSLTs. They're waiting for the final bit of AF technology which will allow that DSLT mirror to disappear with no performance penalty. Meanwhile they're busy enhancing their E and FE top end lens lines with expensive higher resolution lenses which will be able to take better advantage of more pixels, because the 24MP crop sensor and 40-50MP full frame sensors are currently parked on a technological and financial sweet spot where more MP aren't worth it without better lenses.

The signs are that Nikon and Canon are ready to fire some warning shots across Sony's top end mirrorless bows. They don't want to let Sony establish too much of a dominant lead in what looks like becoming the mirrorless high quality exchangeable lens camera market. But they have to do so in a way which doesn't frighten and antagonise too much of their large existing base of DSLR customers. By the end of this year we should have some idea of what kind of mirrorless market development strategy they're going for. Sony of course have known this moment was coming for a long time. They too may have something up their sleeve.

Then there are the smaller sensor exchangeable lens systems, those who are angling to catch those who are never going to buy a 50MP APS-C crop sensor camera, or a 100MP full frame camera which can produce crisp sharp high quality A1 prints, plus those who are getting fed up with the size and weight of their DSLRs and the lenses they can't take more more than a few hundred yards from their car. In the development of the computer market with the ever decreasing size and increasing power of silicon chips, a new market developed when minicomputers became able to replicate the power the mainframe computers of five years back, another new market when desktop microcomputers became able to replicate the power of minicomputer of five years back, and another when laptops became able to replicate the power of desktops of five years back. Just as some people no longer both with a big desktop at home or in the office, and do everything with a laptop, so increasing numbers of photographers are happy to trade the extra portability of the smaller sensor systems of the likes of Olympus for the slight loss in ultimate rarely noticeable image quality and versatility.

The end of the year will see some useful new information about how the big players are going to handle the future of camera technology. I'd postpone any purchasing decisions with long term implications.

Depends if Nikon thinks it's worth supporting much older screw driven lenses or not. We'll know soon enough.

My expectation is that they'll be trying to drive sales of new lenses for the new system, although that would betray their legacy of keeping the f mount for so long.

If I was thinking of buying into an exchangeable lens camera system I'd be sitting on my hands right now. Sooner or later mirrorless technology is going to take over from the flapping mirror technology of the DSLR. At the moment DSLR technology still dominates the market. Sony has been restlessly innovating and trying to develop the technology with which to get there first and establish a dominant market position before Canon and Nikon wake up. It's taken longer than they expected. Despite the great success of their E and FE mount mirrorless cameras, they still haven't been able to replace all the things that old mirror can do, some of which it still does a bit better. Hence their continuation of the DSLR form factor with the A-mount and its stationary pellicle mirror. Their DSLRs have become the halfway hybrid house of DSLTs. They're waiting for the final bit of AF technology which will allow that DSLT mirror to disappear with no performance penalty. Meanwhile they're busy enhancing their E and FE top end lens lines with expensive higher resolution lenses which will be able to take better advantage of more pixels, because the 24MP crop sensor and 40-50MP full frame sensors are currently parked on a technological and financial sweet spot where more MP aren't worth it without better lenses.

The signs are that Nikon and Canon are ready to fire some warning shots across Sony's top end mirrorless bows. They don't want to let Sony establish too much of a dominant lead in what looks like becoming the mirrorless high quality exchangeable lens camera market. But they have to do so in a way which doesn't frighten and antagonise too much of their large existing base of DSLR customers. By the end of this year we should have some idea of what kind of mirrorless market development strategy they're going for. Sony of course have known this moment was coming for a long time. They too may have something up their sleeve.

Then there are the smaller sensor exchangeable lens systems, those who are angling to catch those who are never going to buy a 50MP APS-C crop sensor camera, or a 100MP full frame camera which can produce crisp sharp high quality A1 prints, plus those who are getting fed up with the size and weight of their DSLRs and the lenses they can't take more more than a few hundred yards from their car. In the development of the computer market with the ever decreasing size and increasing power of silicon chips, a new market developed when minicomputers became able to replicate the power the mainframe computers of five years back, another new market when desktop microcomputers became able to replicate the power of minicomputer of five years back, and another when laptops became able to replicate the power of desktops of five years back. Just as some people no longer both with a big desktop at home or in the office, and do everything with a laptop, so increasing numbers of photographers are happy to trade the extra portability of the smaller sensor systems of the likes of Olympus for the slight loss in ultimate rarely noticeable image quality and versatility.

The end of the year will see some useful new information about how the big players are going to handle the future of camera technology. I'd postpone any purchasing decisions with long term implications.

E mount now outperforms A mount in every way with the availability of the gen 3 and a9, no point in buying a mount, it's a dead system (but cheap with decent glass, just not going to develop further). The semi translucent mirror doesn't offer anything better and there's a light penalty.

Last edited:
My expectation is that they'll be trying to drive sales of new lenses for the new system, although that would betray their legacy of keeping the f mount for so long.

Definitely but the lenses won't be around for a while so the adapter has to perform fairly well, it's not like the milc is going to wipe out their DSLR line up immediately, people will either feel the adapter is okay or just hold onto their DSLR a bit longer while the lenses are being developed. Canon knew they couldn't keep the same mount forever (that must've upset a few) and Nikon needs to move on.

Really? Like all ‘F mount lenses ‘fit’ all Nikon DSLRs; except they really aren’t ‘compatible’ at all are they, with so many variables there’s a whole table of issues to study.

The Canon lenses will ‘just work’ because Canon threw their MF users under a bus by designing a completely electronic mount that was designed to be somewhat future proof.
Well granted I should have said Nikon’s AF-D (if the adapter has screw drive), AF-S and AF-P, or even current F-mount line up but I took that as a given for the purpose of my post.

Last edited:
Well granted I should have said Nikon’s AF-D (if the adapter has screw drive), AF-S and AF-P, or even current F-mount line up but I took that as a given for the purpose of my post.
My point was... That bunch of different lens types, means that Nikon keep shooting themselves in the foot by trying to maintain ‘compatibility’, and now they’re expected to build a brand new mount, fit for the 21st century, but it’s already screwed because everyone expects it to also work with previous generations tech, that was designed to work with a 50year old lens mount.

It’s like buyers of the latest Jag expecting it to fit the wheels from their old Mk2 as well as their latest 18” rims

Metering and exposure afaik and on mirrorless that's not an issue as the old stuff have aperture rings.
That need a mechanism for stopping them down.

At some point they’ve got to abandon this stupid ‘compatibility ‘ idea and move forward.

Has anyone already decided they are buying this no matter what, before it's officially announced? What do you expect the pricing to be for each model, Z6, Z7?

Has anyone already decided they are buying this no matter what, before it's officially announced? What do you expect the pricing to be for each model, Z6, Z7?

Weren't the rumors $3k for lower MP and 4k for higher?

That need a mechanism for stopping them down.

At some point they’ve got to abandon this stupid ‘compatibility ‘ idea and move forward.

Manual aperture ring. Agreed, it creates issues and confusion for the consumer.

Manual aperture ring. Agreed, it creates issues and confusion for the consumer.
And many Nikon cameras exposure systems too ;)

Using stop down metering on a modern camera is a joke, and is the reason I sent back my first AF SLR (20 years ago), which I bought because it was ‘compatible’ With all my K mount lenses:mad:. I bought a Canon instead, because the mount had no mechanical connections and was all set for the 21st century.

20years later and Nikon users are ‘hoping’ that their latest state of the art camera will work with all their old lenses ;) and don’t understand why some of us find that ridiculous.:p

The Canon mount means that whatever FF mirrorless comes along, their EF lenses will ‘just work’ once they’ve been put at the right distance from the sensor, it’s a simple electrical connection. Any smaller sensor will be similarly compatible with EF and EF-S lenses.

Seems to be a lot of hate for a camera that has not even been released. I have no doubts it will sell by the bucket load anyway.

And no I’m not going to buy one just because it’s Nikon. I only have 2 lenses so no matter what a swap or system to either Nikon or another brand is not a big issue.

What, even if it turns out be something aimed at quite a different market segment than their DSLR users, in order not to take sales away from their DSLRs?

Seems to be a lot of hate for a camera that has not even been released

Really? I dont see that, I just see people discussing potential pitfalls and issues every new system has. It will sell well if its a good camera, not just because its Nikon. I cant see them getting much wrong though, its just supporting people with lots of lenses, so the adapter is key..... and the AF. Everything else will be typical Nikon and very good, hopefully QC is also improved but its not at that dirt cheap price point so should be good.

Last edited:
Really? I dont see that, I just see people discussing potential pitfalls and issues every new system has. It will sell well if its a good camera, not just because its Nikon. I cant see them getting much wrong though, its just supporting people with lots of lenses, so the adapter is key..... and the AF. Everything else will be typical Nikon and very good, hopefully QC is also improved but its not at that dirt cheap price point so should be good.

Read the views across the internet and all the comments on Nikon FB posts especially.

My point was... That bunch of different lens types, means that Nikon keep shooting themselves in the foot by trying to maintain ‘compatibility’, and now they’re expected to build a brand new mount, fit for the 21st century, but it’s already screwed because everyone expects it to also work with previous generations tech, that was designed to work with a 50year old lens mount.

It’s like buyers of the latest Jag expecting it to fit the wheels from their old Mk2 as well as their latest 18” rims
Ahh, I see what you're getting at. I think maybe they're trying to cover the best of both worlds ie creating a new mount for the future, whilst also not alienating their current customers? Over time more and more people will buy z-mount lenses as more and more z-lenses are developed, but in the meantime they have a full array of lenses that can be used. I personally think it's a good thing and don't see it as Nikon being "screwed". Obviously YMMV (y)

Read the views across the internet and all the comments on Nikon FB posts especially.
Sign of the times, internet is full of haters that just like to complain and pull things apart just for the sake of it. I have my concerns about some of the design, but that's based on mock ups which may or may not be close to the final product. For people to be genuinely/adamantly criticising something that they don't even know what it will be like is bonkers ;)

What, even if it turns out be something aimed at quite a different market segment than their DSLR users, in order not to take sales away from their DSLRs?

Thinking about how I feel I actually feel a bit warm and fuzzy about this new Nikon. My first good camera was a Nikon SLR and I had it for many years and even kept it for a while when I went digital so I definitely have a soft spot for Nikon and I wish them well and my pre ai Nikon lenses would look lovely on a Nikon CSC :D But. I keep telling myself that I have no vested interest in this and no connection at all to the company so even if this is a very good camera I'll just cheer from the sidelines and carry on using my perfectly serviceable for now and cheaper Sony A7 :D

... I personally think it's a good thing and don't see it as Nikon being "screwed". Obviously YMMV (y)

That’s because you have a mass of knowledge and you’re not one of the unfortunate folk who buy a new camera that’s ‘compatible’ with some old lenses their dead uncle left them, only to discover they don’t actually work properly, they just happen to ‘fit’.

My mileage is based on being sold a Pentax AF SLR that ‘worked’ with all K mount lenses (did it f***). The fact is that a cheap Canon EOS Camera and adaptor actually works as well as or better with both really old Nikon and Pentax lenses than a brand new enthusiast model from those 2 manufacturers. :oops: :$

That’s because you have a mass of knowledge and you’re not one of the unfortunate folk who buy a new camera that’s ‘compatible’ with some old lenses their dead uncle left them, only to discover they don’t actually work properly, they just happen to ‘fit’.

My mileage is based on being sold a Pentax AF SLR that ‘worked’ with all K mount lenses (did it f***). The fact is that a cheap Canon EOS Camera and adaptor actually works as well as or better with both really old Nikon and Pentax lenses than a brand new enthusiast model from those 2 manufacturers. :oops: :$
That's the thing isn't it I guess, how well the new adapter will work. If it's a case of the lens fits but performance is massively hindered then it's pretty pointless and I think a massive faux pas from Nikon. If the adapter works well (ie lens fully compatible with all features and has at least 95% the AF speed compared to using it on f-mount) then it will be a big success (imo). Time will tell (y)

That's the thing isn't it I guess, how well the new adapter will work. If it's a case of the lens fits but performance is massively hindered then it's pretty pointless and I think a massive faux pas from Nikon. If the adapter works well (ie lens fully compatible with all features and has at least 95% the AF speed compared to using it on f-mount) then it will be a big success (imo). Time will tell (y)

This is a strange point Nikon owners don’t ‘get’ and I find really odd.

Using an all electronic mount, the adaptor is simple and should offer no performance loss at all. Once you start having to accommodate mechanical connections there’s going to be a performane hit.

My point is simple, stop trying to accommodate the stupid old fashioned mechanics and move on. Because whilst ever you’re doing that, you’re accepting that a performance hit is ‘inevitable’. Now why would you design a camera that’s the best you can do, then limit its performance to ‘not upset’ <10% of potential customers.

Now why would you design a camera that’s the best you can do, then limit its performance to ‘not upset’ <10% of potential customers.

There's a danger that some in senior positions could think it would be dishonourable to abandon past compatibility and upset customers. Japanese companies aren't always about the whole honour and losing face thing but it could be a factor and cause them to lose sight of what would be objectively the more correct decision. There's no doubt that eastern management can act differently to how we western minded folk would do it.

20years later and Nikon users are ‘hoping’ that their latest state of the art camera will work with all their old lenses ;) and don’t understand why some of us find that ridiculous.:p
Have you seen how many old lenses people are buying in the Sony a7/a9 thread? :eek: Well it is potentially like that, but for lenses you may already own, or indeed be able to buy quite cheap. Instead of having only possibly the 2-3 lenses at time of release.

The Canon mount means that whatever FF mirrorless comes along, their EF lenses will ‘just work’ once they’ve been put at the right distance from the sensor, it’s a simple electrical connection. Any smaller sensor will be similarly compatible with EF and EF-S lenses.
So it Canon get round to releasing a FF mirrorless camera things should go easier for them. ;) Of course, because Canon lenses, post the change in 1987, ;) are electronic, if someone back engineers an adapter for this new Nikon mirrorless camera, there are a load of lenses available, as there is with the adapters for the Sony's.

Depends on whether the cameras are worth putting lenses on of course. ;) :LOL:

Here's a thought, if the Nikon camera is amazing, and someone makes a great adapter for Canon lenses, and then Canon don't make a FF mirrorless camera, or if they do, mess theirs up if it does appear, how would that boost Nikon's mirrorless sales! ;)

Everything else will be typical Nikon and very good, hopefully QC is also improved but its not at that dirt cheap price point so should be good.
Have their 'dirt cheap' cameras had that many problems? :thinking: ;)

Using an all electronic mount, the adaptor is simple and should offer no performance loss at all. Once you start having to accommodate mechanical connections there’s going to be a performane hit.

My point is simple, stop trying to accommodate the stupid old fashioned mechanics and move on. Because whilst ever you’re doing that, you’re accepting that a performance hit is ‘inevitable’. Now why would you design a camera that’s the best you can do, then limit its performance to ‘not upset’ <10% of potential customers.
I understand that tbh, but I think also people are overlooking what some (maybe most) think. Yes in an ideal world you’d use native everything, BUT as I found out when I considered the switch to Sony the cost to change is HUGE. If you can cater for the majority that don’t have wads of cash and will take years to be able to change all lenses then surely this is a good thing?

I know that there will be a hit using an adapter, especially when using an old mechanical design, however what I can’t get my noodle round is why. What I mean by this is that on current bodies it is electrical components that are used to control the mechanical lever (and screw drive if you have one). What I don’t understand is why using an adapter why you can’t have the same system, ie electrical components that control the mechanical parts? Hopefully that makes sense? On this simple level there should be no difference, the adapter could just be thought of as the f-mount which (on current DSLRs) receives electrical input to control it? Obviously there’s a reason why, but on this simplistic rationale I can’t figure out for the life of me why :oops: :$

There's a danger that some in senior positions could think it would be dishonourable to abandon past compatibility and upset customers. Japanese companies aren't always about the whole honour and losing face thing but it could be a factor and cause them to lose sight of what would be objectively the more correct decision.
Canon ‘suffered’ in some circles for a couple of years, but they now have 30 years of EF lenses, that will probably still be being used in 30 years time. Meanwhile on current behaviour Nikon will end up with a ‘compatibility’ table that runs across 2 spreadsheets.

however what I can’t get my noodle round is why. What I mean by this is that on current bodies it is electrical components that are used to control the mechanical lever (and screw drive if you have one). What I don’t understand is why using an adapter why you can’t have the same system, ie electrical components that control the mechanical parts? Hopefully that makes sense? On this simple level there should be no difference, the adapter could just be thought of as the f-mount which (on current DSLRs) receives electrical input to control it? Obviously there’s a reason why, but on this simplistic rationale I can’t figure out for the life of me why :oops: :$
It can be ‘as good as it is currently’, my point is that’s not ‘good enough’. Why use 30 year old screw drive lenses when modern lenses just work better?

It took Nikon 20 years to match the speed of a USM motor, now we have micro motors inside lenses that work ‘instantaneously’ to all intents and purposes, who is really happy with waiting for a lens to grab focus? when I’ve got a camera to my eye and AF activated, I need to be able to press the shutter at every fleeting moment I spot, not be waiting for the lens to attain focus.

Nikon's #1 priority is compatibility with the 100m-plus lenses already out there in the hands of millions of existing Nikon customers. Get that right, and the future is rosy, get it wrong and the whole company is threatened.

From what I've seen, I think they're on track. Perfect performance with everything is unlikely, but Nikon has effectively already let some of those old lenses go.From the rumoured new Z-mount lenses, Nikon has cleverly chosen not to duplicate existing designs. The 24-70/4 kit zoom is a perfect match. Fast primes will be small, making use of the camera's shorter back-focus, halo products like the f/0.95 may be mostly irrelevant but will sprinkle some fairy dust over the whole range.

If they get it right, Nikon will be rewarded from the start with reports along the lines of "it works perfectly with my existing lenses, as good as on my DSLR, but the new Z-mount lenses (with AF optimised for mirrorless) are amazing." Then they're all set :)

ps As I've mentioned before, the big unknown is how the F-mount adapter will work with third-party lenses. I think some minor issues are probably inevitable and if Nikon is feeling bullish, they could deliberately make things difficult on that front.

What makes you think Nikon owners don't get it? As far as I know they have said that old lenses will work, they haven't said how well they will work, and there will be caveats, as there is now with what cameras are compatible with newer AF-P lenses. When all the info is actually out there, rather than speculation, then those that 'don't get it' will be able to make an informed decision on whether using old lenses is for them, and how compromised older lenses will be.

As long as you are aware of any performance issues, and as you say Nikon may have pages of how things will work, and how well, what's the problem. :thinking: It may not be for you, but if people want to do it, so what.

How will the new cameras performance be hit by being able to have an adapter to use old lenses available? :thinking:

Not everyone may have the money for a new version of every lens they may want. There may also be focal lengths and apertures that are not made now. If it is easy to do, and indeed if you charge them for the adapter to make old lenses work, in whatever way, then everyone wins. Again, it may not be for you, or many others, but at least Nikon are thinking about their current users. Yes, Canon made the great decision to go all electronic with their lens mount, Nikon didn't so they manage as well as they can. :)

ps As I've mentioned before, the big unknown is how the F-mount adapter will work with third-party lenses. I think some minor issues are probably inevitable and if Nikon is feeling bullish, they could deliberately make things difficult on that front.

I think the big unknown is the price and if as rumored this camera/these cameras are priced significantly higher than the Sony and any future Canon competition that could make things difficult as only the very heavily invested and the hard core fanboys will buy into the system and there may then be more squeaky times at Nikon.

I appreciate it might genuinely suit some people, and that others just see it as normal...

But
Not everyone may have the money for a new version of every lens they may want.

My 70-200 2.8 is over 20 years old, and ‘just works’ even on my EOS M5 mirrorless, it’s contemporary from Nikon would likely cause some issues with some Nikon cameras.

It really is a chalk and cheese comparison, surely no one ‘enjoys’ these issues?

I think the big unknown is the price and if as rumored this camera/these cameras are priced significantly higher than the Sony and any future Canon competition that could make things difficult as only the very heavily invested and the hard core fanboys will buy into the system and there may then be more squeaky times at Nikon.

Nikon could price lens adapters (and there might be several options) any way they like really, even free if that's what it takes to secure a sale. An all-electronic adapter suitable for a lot of Nikon lenses over recent years would be very cheap in basic production cost terms. Adding mechanical aperture control shouldn't be too difficult. The tricky one is screw-drive AF and the old (very) external aperture coupling. Assuming the new camera doesn't have screw-drive, an adapter for that would be a complex and combersome thing - maybe just let that one rest. I'm sure Nikon will have developed such an adapter that they could introduce if needs be, or leave it to third-parties. Either way, it wouldn't sit well with the mirrorless concept and may be best left to DSLRs that will remain in production for many years yet.

Nikon could price lens adapters (and there might be several options) any way they like really, even free if that's what it takes to secure a sale. An all-electronic adapter suitable for a lot of Nikon lenses over recent years would be very cheap in basic production cost terms. Adding mechanical aperture control shouldn't be too difficult. The tricky one is screw-drive AF and the old (very) external aperture coupling. Assuming the new camera doesn't have screw-drive, an adapter for that would be a complex and combersome thing - maybe just let that one rest. I'm sure Nikon will have developed such an adapter that they could introduce if needs be, or leave it to third-parties. Either way, it wouldn't sit well with the mirrorless concept and may be best left to DSLRs that will remain in production for many years yet.

Yes but that's after the cost of the body and I do wonder if anyone other than the very heavily invested or fanboys will buy a Nikon CSC regardless of the price comparative to the competition, regardless of all the heritage and the badge. The heavily invested and the fan boys may be a relatively small market to rely heavily on.

Yes but that's after the cost of the body and I do wonder if anyone other than the very heavily invested or fanboys will buy a Nikon CSC regardless of the price comparative to the competition, regardless of all the heritage and the badge. The heavily invested and the fan boys may be a relatively small market to rely heavily on.
But those not heavily invested or fanboys would be comparing starting from scratch with Nikon vs Sony vs Canon, and their choice would be based on brand features, recognition and marketing. Not on the complexity of adaptors.

I appreciate it might genuinely suit some people, and that others just see it as normal...

But

My 70-200 2.8 is over 20 years old, and ‘just works’ even on my EOS M5 mirrorless, it’s contemporary from Nikon would likely cause some issues with some Nikon cameras.

It really is a chalk and cheese comparison, surely no one ‘enjoys’ these issues?
But some people don't have a choice but to work with what they have got or can buy cheaply. Would there be issues? Probably, but if it is a choice to live with compromise to use something, not use it, or change a whole system, a lot of people will make do, and that who Nikon would be catering to with this adapter. Would you? No, but then it sounds like the Canon mount does everything you want, in the past, now, and in the future.

Back