Nikon mirrorless definitely on the way

Jeez so much negativity. I am out here for now. Hopefully this thread will be more positive when I come back.

Is it possible for them to make grip with a card slot ?, just like Nikon to find a way to charge extra for the second slot.
Now that is a great idea and as long as it had the contacts in place, it might be possible.... extra batteries and SD card slot for Professional users... if so, they should have announced it at the event!
Actually, have Nikon even announced a battery grip? :eek:

Jeez so much negativity. I am out here for now. Hopefully this thread will be more positive when I come back.
:D lol don't worry, it'll settle down......
I can still remember the days when Sony used to get bashed on every forum I logged onto..... how the tables of turned! :)

I don't doubt that those looking to switch to mirrorless would defect to Sony - however, for what reason would someone with a good Nikon setup have to change to format?

Nothing per say but F mount development is going to slow and eventually die.

I currently have a Nikon fx cam and 4 decent lenses. Not a huge investment but I would see switching to Nikon Mirrorless as much as a system change as switching to Sony or Canon. I would need a new camera and new lenses.

The adaptor is a stop gap. We all know that. Having used adapted lenses before I personally don’t want to go that way. YMMV. Sadly F mount is now on its way out so at some point, perhaps 2020(+) when the Nikon lens line up can match what Sony has out in 2018, then it’s worth a change but I won’t confine myself to Nikon.

Last edited:
I think technology can't handle two xqd slots on that small body.

I remember seeing how large the uhs 2 card slot was on the sony!
But why not one XQD and one SD like the D500 and D850?

I don't know why, but the whole one slot thing actually annoys me a little bit. I mean, they pay someone or some people shed loads of money to make the final decision on the design of these things and yet they think it's a good idea for one slot :confused: I get some people are saying that it gives Nikon scope to build a so called pro body, but come on we're talking £3k and £4k bodies here. Pros would use these, but what percentage of pros wold risk one card slot?

No doubt this camera will have a waiting list, and no doubt it'll be out of stock for a long time, but what percentage of potential customers have been lost by this oversight? 25%, 33%???

Last edited:
Yet probably the most well known wedding photographer in the UK, and a £6k one at that, is buying one of each (putting to one side that he's a Nikon ambassador...)

I’m sure he is, and I’m also sure they won’t be the only cameras he takes along.

Its not just a system change, its the move to mirrorless technology which has big advantages over the traditional DSLR systems, so even if you have a good DSLR setup, your stuck with the drawbacks of DSLR technology.
No doubt some Nikon professionals have been waiting to switch to mirrorless for months / years and the Z6 / Z7 may not meet their expectations, others might be ok with them.
Time will tell..... still think a single QXD slot is a epic fail.

I am not sure that the actual form factor mirrorless brings about a huge amount of advantages, some yes, in specific situations, for which I make no argument. My point being, if you really do need the advantages mirrorless brings and you're a 'serious' shooter, then surely you would have already moved over to Sony.

I know that if the advantages of mirrorless were of use to me, then I would have switched already - I don't need to wait for a new Nikon, if the advantages are that beneficial.

I’m sure he is, and I’m also sure they won’t be the only cameras he takes along.
and I'd laugh my arse off if he shot a wedding with a Z7 and the card failed. lol
A good wedding photographer yes.

I don't know why, but the whole one slot thing actually annoys me a little bit. I mean, they pay someone or some people shed loads of money to make the final decision on the design of these things and yet they think it's a good idea for one slot :confused: I get some people are saying that it gives Nikon scope to build a so called pro body, but come on we're talking £3k and £4k bodies here. Pros would use these, but what percentage of pros wold risk one card slot?

No doubt this camera will have a waiting list, and no doubt it'll be out of stock for a long time, but what percentage of potential customers have been lost by this oversight? 25%, 33%???

The camera is affordable but the lenses and adaptor etc start to add up. I think a lot of people are out straight away.

Nikon's future has been set here - a fantastic mirrorless camera and a revolutionary new sensor and lens system. I can't wait to try the full line-up. I've never seen images of this quality anywhere near this price. It's like having the benefits of (mini) medium format in a small mirrorless body (but with top drawer AF, handling and ISO). The price vs performance is off the charts.

High praise for IQ.

I am a big RH fan and his work but I feel like he is somehow either easily impressed or just being a salesman here without other cameras for reference. Things like when he said “F/1.8 here is like F/1.4 on FF”. What does that mean? Isn’t the Z7 a FF camera? Corner sharpness he showed isn’t anything that I haven’t seen from my 35L or the 50ZA tbh.

In isolation the Z6/Z7 looks fantastic, good AF, great colours, but against the competition I can’t help but feel it is lacking a lot of other things, namely dual card slots, something RH barely mentioned (pre-faced by him saying he is there doing only the lens review). I am surprised to hear him say he is going to get one for his first dance and portrait work. Portraits yes, you can do it ask them to pose again but First Dance they only get to do it once.

No Face Defect and no Eye-AF is disappointing but not surprising because Nikon a half-baked one will look worse than not having one and it’s difficult to imagine they can do it like the A9/R3/III out of the gate.

The real disappointment here though is that single card slot, if it’s price, pros will pay for that, if it’s size, they are happy to have a slightly larger camera, it’s not like this is big. No doubt this will be addressed in the next gen but I would’ve thought on a list of must have things when designing this off the page, dual cards would be like a must have, like right next to having a battery compartment.

One thing I grant you is that the Nikon does great colours SOOC, Jpegs looks great.

----------------

Any idea about the following?

1 – Does it charge in body via USB?

2 – GPS?

3 – buffer size?

Not the first time and won't be the last that a new product has a glaring omission or in other cases an obvious sales losing issue.
These companies have long enough to get it right, really does make you wonder what these people are being paid for

The camera is affordable but the lenses and adaptor etc start to add up. I think a lot of people are out straight away.
Only affordable for a very small percentage of the population tbh.

Just been reading more about the technical side of the Nikon Z7, and like the Sony A9.... some specifications are crippled when you dig further.

From DPReview......

but at a maximum burst rate of 9fps (12-bit Raw, with AE locked after the first shot
Drop to 5.5fps and auto-exposure will update between frames, and you'll get a live preview in between shots, but the buffer depth only allows for around 23 compressed 12-bit Raw files. This isn't terrible, but don't go selling your D5s quite yet.

Having 1 card slots though I am just banging my head :p

That's the bit that's bothering me. I don't trust Sony for weather sealing but it has 2 slots, I know I could leave the Nikon in the rain all day and it will be fine but one memory card :(

That has made this decision very awkward for me. I've not checked out all the specs yet, like does it have in camera timelapse like the D850.

Just been reading more about the technical side of the Nikon Z7, and like the Sony A9.... some specifications are crippled when you dig further.

From DPReview......

What? AE lock after the first shot? They need a faster chip it....surely the D850 can beat that? is it a heat issue?

Only affordable for a very small percentage of the population tbh.

I know there is a road map. But most people surely would want a 28/50 or 35/85 combo from the off?

Removing the mirror doesn't effect the DoF, what the hell is he on about lol?

He then mentioned it again about the 24-70/2.8 acting like a 2.0 ? what he is referring to isn't lens specific then, not optical quality but the actual mount that somehow give you a smoother bokeh transition............

If the wifi is awesome, the single memory card might turn into a backup for many users.
Nikon could release a WiFi based SSD storage device which high-speed WiFi that links to the Z9.... so yes the single XQD situation could be worked around.
Or as mentioned previously, the could bring out a battery grip with a built in SD card slot........
They should have announced these this morning..... to prevent the Nikon users sitting on the fence jumping ship.

The battery rating will be with the mech shutter.

Electronic shutter will be far higher

Same with the 7III, I've shot it purely mech shutter and the battery drains way quicker !

I think this camera, as a first attempt is very good, it is like A7R2 good, better in fact. It has better battery than the R2, probably better AF. I would guess this begun on the drawing board when the A7R2 was on market and this is their attempt to beat it and they have, I’d pick this over the A7R2. By the time the A7R3 and A73 came out it’s a bit too late to change.

If however this is some design decision to gimp the camera to keep some D850 and D5 users happy.

Last edited:
Z^ with 24-70 & adapter - pre order price £2799.

Ross Harvey... that's who he's talking about.

Yes I've heard of Ross, but I did ask several of my pro mates (inc. @MartinH32 ) and no-one could think who it was. There were several that came to mind who's work I follow, but obviously not him

He's defo not the UK's best known Wedding tog then is he lol

Dave

Problem is they were competing with the Sony A7(1-2) not the latest model, which in itself is soon to be replaced itself by four or five!

Unlikely. Their releases are now 3-4 years apart. The a73 has only just been released and still sold out in some territories.

Back