Nikon mirrorless definitely on the way

They probably make more on lens sales for FX than the whole DX body line

Lens sales deliver a nice return, especially high-end like Canon L-series, and they'll likely sell more lenses per full-frame camera (y)

Edit: that's why Nikon is not opening the Z-mount protocols to third-party manufacturers.

Last edited:
They probably make more on lens sales for FX than the whole DX body line
I read on Thom Hogan's site that where the FF sell in 10's of thousand, the DX cameras sell in 100's of thousand. The bulk of money comes from DX. Only Nikon know how much profit they make on each camera, but the more of any part you you buy to make the cameras, such as sensors, LCD screens, the better deals you get.

That said, if you get someone to go FF you may also be getting lens sales from, and FF lenses are generally more expensive as the FF camera are. With these new camera they are probably almost guaranteed to sell a lens or two with each camera at the beginning.

I've seen his name [TH] bandied about a bit recently on here always thought he was a bit of a Nikon shill to be Frank. But he's probably right on this.

There was a time camera manufacturers were probably making more on compacts than their dslrs, didn't stop them improving the higher end though

I've seen his name [TH] bandied about a bit recently on here always thought he was a bit of a Nikon shill to be Frank. But he's probably right on this.

There was a time camera manufacturers were probably making more on compacts than their dslrs, didn't stop them improving the higher end though

Not quite ;) Nikon love him so much they didn't invite him to the New York launch.

Thom Hogan is actually Nikon's strongest critic, though his affection for the brand is obvious and it's always well intentioned. Nikon don't appear to see it that way though. Extraordinarily petty of them to miss him out.

Not quite ;) Nikon love him so much they didn't invite him to the New York launch.

Thom Hogan is actually Nikon's strongest critic, though his affection for the brand is obvious and it's always well intentioned. Nikon don't appear to see it that way though. Extraordinarily petty of them to miss him out.

I stand corrected, I guess! I've seen him called a shill, and people moan that he goes through this motion of always hating new gear, then suddenly loving it a month later or vice versa. I guess we'll see on that.

I’ve always found his sites imformative in a balanced way.
I bought his D750 and D7200 guides and the level of detail in them was exceptional in comparison to other guides I’ve read.
His knowledge of things Nikon is very deep.
I like him.

Here’s a bit I just found

The real limitation of the D7500 is the same limitation as every other DX camera Nikon has made: DX lenses. (Hello? Tokyo? You still there in the glass department? Anyone notice that your DX lens line is now totally inferior to Fujifilm's APS-C lens line? Wonder why some Nikon DX users are switching to Fujifilm? ;~) (This is why you don't let bean counters make all product decisions, guys; while a full DX line might not have had a direct ROI that made the bean boys happy, the indirect overall negative ROI that has happened over the long term is now larger and growing.)

Last edited:
"Edit: that's why Nikon is not opening the Z-mount protocols to third-party manufacturers."

That won't stop anyone.There are people out there with lots of experience of back-engineering. I expect that most of the chips in the Z mount to F mount adaptor are Chinese so it is only a software hack. How about an aftermarket Z mount to Canon adaptor?

I expect that most of the chips in the Z mount to F mount adaptor are Chinese so it is only a software hack.

Hack - you must be joking! Probably just sell the code :exit:

I know of some CAT 5 and 6 cables that a certain Chinese manufacturer supplied inclusively for a contract in the UK.... in the end the Customer actually discovered 'microchips' embedded in the fabric of the cable. Doesn't take a genius to work out why!

Last edited:
I stand corrected, I guess! I've seen him called a shill, and people moan that he goes through this motion of always hating new gear, then suddenly loving it a month later or vice versa. I guess we'll see on that.

I would use the word "Shrill" but maybe he's the creepy stalker that Nikon can't quite shake off and have taken a restraining order out against. He does seem to be rather single minded and more than a little obsessed with the brand, IMO.

He knows that actually with Nikon publishing criticism will actually get more hints, each article of what Nikon is doing wrong can be garneted to grace some Sony subforum.

I would use the word "Shrill" but maybe he's the creepy stalker that Nikon can't quite shake off and have taken a restraining order out against. He does seem to be rather single minded and more than a little obsessed with the brand, IMO.
From when I have read anything on Thom Hogan's site I get the impression of someone who has been passionate about Nikon for many years, and has tried to help them over the years when he may have had more direct links with Nikon. That no longer seems to be the case.

He makes part of his income from writing user guides for various Nikon DSLR's. Having read his guide for the D300 it explains how every aspect of the camera worked and then gave the reasons for using certain settings. It was excellent. :) So he has a lot of experience of Nikon cameras, so when he reviews something he has a wealth of knowledge to call on. It will be very interesting to see any reviews of his for the new Nikon Z cameras and Z mount lenses and he seems to give impartial reviews imho.

He has also been following the camera market for decades, and so has access to information and data most people don't, or at least may be hard to find, if they knew what to look for in the first place, and so has insights most may not see.

Whilst he has been known for Nikon cameras he uses other brands as well, and indeed has part of his site is for mirrorless cameras, Sans Mirror. I enjoy most of the articles on his site, I don't always agree with what he says, but then whenever does that happen anywhere. ;) It is up to others decide what they think of what he does, once they have visited his site and read an article or two. Anyone criticising will be doing so from the experience of having visited his site though won't they. ;)

How is this camera being pronounced? Zed 7 or Zee 7?
Nikon want it to be zee, but I'm English so I refuse and will call it zed ;)

If they wanted zee they should have called it zee, as they chose an English letter they're going to get however that letter is pronounced locally.

Reminds me of the guy who invented the gif format, he wanted it to be pronounced jif but as it's an acronym (Graphics Interchange Format) it doesn't really matter what he wants.

How is this camera being pronounced? Zed 7 or Zee 7?

I'd pronounce it the same way I'd pronounce some of the cars made by the likes of Audi or BMW. That probably keeps it simple for anyone who feels the need to turn American :D

Do you finish the Alphabet song with zed? :thinking::p

Apparently none of us even pronounce Nikon properly anyway. In Japan it's 'knee-kon' - where the British pronounce it 'Nick-on' and the yanks pronounce it 'Nye-kon'

Do you finish the Alphabet song with zed? :thinking::p

Apparently none of us even pronounce Nikon properly anyway. In Japan it's 'knee-kon' - where the British pronounce it 'Nick-on' and the yanks pronounce it 'Nye-kon'

No. Å aka AA

I call it the ‘IANBBT! Which stands for ‘I am not bloody buying this’! :)

The type of people that don't care about single card slots are mostly enthusiasts and they're also the type of people that won't be too happy with the price of a single XQD card when they're likely used to £20 SD cards. Many pros will see it as a regression and interruption to their current workflow. Battery life and single card slots stopped me from buying mirrorless bodies in the past.

Why do you see Nikon winning on lens selection? They have no 1.4 primes in the pipeline. Sony native range is already brilliant, plus other manufacturers are making native glass for the F mount. They and the likes of Sigma and Zeiss will no doubt be adding more lenses to the F range over the next 3 years as Nikon build their range. As well as that, they have really usable Canon adapters. Nikon will only 'win' if they make the system play well with other brand's glass. The 58mm is a collector's item - something few shooters will ever aspire to own.

Pros didn't make A7 a success it was enthusiasts. Only reason you have such a good A7III for your pro usage is because enthusiasts like me supported them though their first 2 gens.

Because not every one wants or needs f1.4 primes. I imagine more enthusiasts buys these more than pros.
Nikon FTZ adapter beats any and all canon adapters on sony.
I never said their noct was their winning formula.

Lol I doubt Sony will be lost. They have a lot of technology, resource and cash at their disposal.

They seem to be setting a very high standard with their 3rd generation bodies. So high in fact that Nikon were unable to respond in key area’s.

Now if Nikon had no experience in cameras fair enough, but they have been around long enough. Where they failed was not to invest more R&D earlier on.

sure they have a lot of resource and tech, yet they find it so hard to provide a decent pixelshift, focus stacking, time lapse or touchscreen feature which other manufactures with less resources and tech seem to easily provide for a while now.
What good is having all those resources if you don't make the photography experience better.

the way sony is going nikon will have them taken over in couple years.

Pros didn't make A7 a success it was enthusiasts. Only reason you have such a good A7III for your pro usage is because enthusiasts like me supported them though their first 2 gens.

Because not every one wants or needs f1.4 primes. I imagine more enthusiasts buys these more than pros.
Nikon FTZ adapter beats any and all canon adapters on sony.
I never said their noct was their winning formula.

Where are you getting these facts from?

Where are you getting these facts from?
The FTZ adapter supports all the native AF functionality thus making F-mount lenses behave like native lenses. There is not a single adapter on Sony that achieves this for all lenses. Sigma MC-11 is the closest you have to this and even sigma gave up on the idea and decided to individually convert the lenses because the performance just wasn't native like.

Last edited:
@nandbytes - I tip my hat to you!

all through this thread you have been constructive in your viewpoints/unbiased and managed to remain calm!

You have been the balanced voice of reason - well done :)
Thanks I am very flattered.

Though I admit some of my comments are slightly biased based around my use case. But I am only human ;)

The FTZ adapter supports all the native AF functionality thus making F-mount lenses behave like native lenses. There is not a single adapter on Sony that achieves this for all lenses. Sigma MC-11 is the closest you have to this and even sigma gave up on the idea and decided to individually convert the lenses because the performance just wasn't native like.

Personally I think you need to calm down a little :D at least until more and good real world reports come in.

Just a thought.

Personally I think you need to calm down a little :D at least until more and good real world reports come in.

Just a thought.
I am perfectly calm :)
Simply catching up after a long couple days. Just voicing my opinion, you are welcome to disagree. I won't bite, I promise :D
The way I see it is the rest that needs to calm down. Say something in favour of Nikon or against sony and I have half the forum excited all replying to me :D

Last edited:

It's not really a fair comparison though, you might focus on the end result and only be concerned about adapting one set but it seems unfair to knock the Sony for something the Nikon cannot even do (i.e. use a Canon lens).

Especially so when you have little choice given the Nikon has a tiny pool of native lenses.

Last edited:
It's not really a fair comparison though, you might focus on the end result and only be concerned about adapting one set but it seems unfair to knock the Sony for something the Nikon cannot even do (i.e. use a Canon lens).

Especially so when you have little choice given the Nikon has a tiny pool of native lenses.
I actually I never wanted to compare canon EF on sony with F-mount on Nikon. Someone else started that comparison and I just replied.

A fairer comparison would be a-mount on Sony e-mount vs. F-mount on Nikon z-mount. Nikon on thier first try have done a better job than Sony who seem have just ignored the a-mount adapter :(

Canon adapter on Sony is made by 3rd party. Whether they choose to do so for Nikon is entirely up to them. So Nikon or Sony won't have much to do with this.

Last edited:
I actually I never wanted to compare canon EF on sony with F-mount on Nikon. Someone else started that comparison and I just replied.

A fairer comparison would be a-mount on Sony e-mount vs. F-mount on Nikon z-mount. Nikon on your first try have done a better job that Sony who seem have just ignored the a-mount adapter :(

Sony left the A-Mount for dead because there isn't the same number of A-mount users out there like the F-mount. As a pure business decision, it was an easy one to make.

Nikon could not have done that, nor could Canon.

They are simply coming from a different perspective and it is not fair to place one company's focus to the other one.

Sony left the A-Mount for dead because there isn't the same number of A-mount users out there like the F-mount. As a pure business decision, it was an easy one to make.

Nikon could not have done that, nor could Canon.

They are simply coming from a different perspective and it is not fair to place one company's focus to the other one.

A-mount isn't dead ;)

Sony made a conscious decision to pursue the mirrorless market which was in its infancy and growing over trying to go head to head in the DSLR market that was dominated by canonikon and declining. Also not to mention the prospect of being the only FF mirrorless manufacturer for a good few years.
A good business decision me thinks but they need to make sure they keep thier products a few steps ahead in order to keep this lead. Otherwise any advantage they have will be lost.
Canonikon had a huge loyalist base they can depend on that Sony don't have. They need the edge more so than the big two.

Last edited:
A-mount isn't dead ;)

Sony made a conscious decision to pursue the mirrorless market which was in its infancy and growing over trying to go head to head in the DSLR market that was dominated by canonikon and declining.
A good business decision me thinks but they need to make sure they keep thier products a few steps ahead in order to keep this lead. Otherwise any advantage they have will be lost.
Canonikon had a huge loyalist base they can depend on that Sony don't have. They need the edge more so than the big two.

The A-mount is dead, anyone who thinks otherwise is holding onto a warm corpse.

Back