Nikon mirrorless definitely on the way

As importantly, if you want live feedback between frames, you have to reduce the speed of the Z6 to 5.5fps compared to 8fps on the A7 III, so for me the A7 III looks more powerful and capable when it comes to autofocus and burst shooting.

Live feedback between frames? what does that mean exactly? I want to track an object and follow it through burst? Does that mean I would need to shoot at 5.5fps?
Where've you seen that? That's what it said for the Z7, but I'd have hoped the Z6 would have been better :(

Where've you seen that? That's what it said for the Z7, but I'd have hoped the Z6 would have been better :(

And while the Z6 can technically shoot faster at 12fps vs the A7 III’s top speed of 10fps, the Nikon locks its exposure at this speed whereas the Sony can adjust its exposure. As importantly, if you want live feedback between frames, you have to reduce the speed of the Z6 to 5.5fps compared to 8fps on the A7 III, so for me the A7 III looks more powerful and capable when it comes to autofocus and burst shooting.

https://www.cameralabs.com/nikon-z6-review/

Kills off any interest I have.

Last edited:
What's wrong with protecting Intellectual Property Rights? If Nikon want to preclude the Independents then that's their prerogative surely?

I wasn't really covering IP but I wasn't criticizing Nikon either. Personally I'd rather the Z mount were open as I don't gain anything by Nikon restricting the lenses that can be used.

I was thinking more along the lines it would be a complete anathema to Nikon users for Canon glass to be mounted on a Nikon! (Personally, I've always found Canon lenses to be too contrasty for me)

Why would it be anathema? I've owned both systems for a number of years and I really don't see any practical difference between them (besides Nikon lenses go on the wrong way and the back of the D810 hates my nose).

i saw that it was a silly way to compare them
Why. If the z7 is found to be inferior to the D850 and the A7RIII is found to be a match, close to and in some way superior to the D850 then obviously we can conclude the z7 is worse than the A7RIII

And while the Z6 can technically shoot faster at 12fps vs the A7 III’s top speed of 10fps, the Nikon locks its exposure at this speed whereas the Sony can adjust its exposure. As importantly, if you want live feedback between frames, you have to reduce the speed of the Z6 to 5.5fps compared to 8fps on the A7 III, so for me the A7 III looks more powerful and capable when it comes to autofocus and burst shooting.

https://www.cameralabs.com/nikon-z6-review/

Kills off any interest I have.
Not great that, anything less than 6.5fps I'm not interested in (that's my benchmark from the D750), the sweet spot for me is 8-10fps giving me chance to get the action without having endless files of essentially the same shot.

Not great that, anything less than 6.5fps I'm not interested in (that's my benchmark from the D750), the sweet spot for me is 8-10fps giving me chance to get the action without having endless files of essentially the same shot.

+1, I found the d750 a little slow, the a7iii @ 10fps a bit to fast most times but can also be useful, 8 FPS has become my sweet spot. 20fps no thanks, spend my life culling.

Last edited:

At 6mins, those issues are killers. The IBIS seems not to be as wonderful as some of the shills had us believe, blackout is overly invasive and simple face detection bugged?? These previewers keep saying "Pre-production models" but Nikon have these cameras ready to go, this is the version that will ship! Unless this latest "sorry for the delay on pre order' thing is to stall to fix these very issues.

Last edited:
At 6mins, those issues are killers. The IBIS seems not to be as wonderful as some of the shills had us believe, blackout is overly invasive and simple face detection bugged?? These previewers keep saying "Pre-production models" but Nikon have these cameras ready to go, this is the version that will ship! Unless this latest "sorry for the delay on pre order' thing is to stall to fix these very issues.
They are either stalling it to fix it, or working hard to fix it so that by the time folk get their cameras there will be a firmware update to fix it (assuming it can be fixed by firmware)

I "liked" your post but a "like" doesn't really seem appropriate, an "ouch" would maybe be more appropriate and if this is anywhere near accurate I think it's cause for those who are maybe a little over eager at the moment to wait and see what the actual cameras that ship are like before buying.

Just my VHO.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nikon pushed the whole release forward a month or so in order to get it out ahead of Canon and we see production delays. It looks like Canon and Nikon's releases are very similar indeed to the degree I think being first to announce is likely a significant advantage.

I'm certainly not putting Nikon's record of early production to the test making a pre order but equally I can't say theres much I see in the rumours about the Canon release that has me wishing the systems were reversed.

Again though I tend to take criticism with somewhat of a pitch of salt as again I think various commentators know that shooting down Canon and Nikon mirrorless releases draws the best interest.

Potentially lacking IBIS seems like a biggie to me as I'd imagine a lot of DSLR users view gaining IS in their existing lenses as a very significant positive. For lenses like my 105mm F/2 DC and Zeiss 50mm F/2 Makro that's going to be a potentially very significant boost, the Zeiss especially would get a lot more landscape use with reduced need for tripod work.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if Nikon pushed the whole release forward a month or so in order to get it out ahead of Canon and we see production delays. It looks like Canon and Nikon's releases are very similar indeed to the degree I think being first to announce is likely a significant advantage.

I'm certainly not putting Nikon's record of early production to the test making a pre order but equally I can't say theres much I see in the rumours about the Canon release that has me wishing the systems were reversed.

Again though I tend to take criticism with somewhat of a pitch of salt as again I think various commentators know that shooting down Canon and Nikon mirrorless releases draws the best interest.

Potentially lacking IBIS seems like a biggie to me as I'd imagine a lot of DSLR users view gaining IS in their existing lenses as a very significant positive. For lenses like my 105mm F/2 DC and Zeiss 50mm F/2 Makro that's going to be a potentially very significant boost, the Zeiss especially would get a lot more landscape use with reduced need for tripod work.
Canon’s offering hasn’t got me overly excited tbh, neither has the choice of lenses. Whether the performance is good enough to win me over remains to be seen.

I know looks aren’t important really but I can’t help but think it looks a bit ‘cheap’ compared to the Nikon. Obviously what it looks like in the flesh I’ve no idea ;)

Canon’s offering hasn’t got me overly excited tbh, neither has the choice of lenses. Whether the performance is good enough to win me over remains to be seen.

I know looks aren’t important really but I can’t help but think it looks a bit ‘cheap’ compared to the Nikon. Obviously what it looks like in the flesh I’ve no idea ;)

You could argue really that its less Canon and Nikon competing against each other or Sony at this stage but rather whether they can offer something that convinces existing DSLR owners to buy or not.

This is the thing, IMO they both look cheap, the Nikon doesn't exactly look very tough. Reckon a G9 would demolish it if they were bashed together.

This is the thing, IMO they both look cheap, the Nikon doesn't exactly look very tough. Reckon a G9 would demolish it if they were bashed together.
I think the Nikon looks top quality, from the pics at least. Looks a premium product to me. The G9’s never going to win any beauty awards, neither has it struck me as the most rugged of all cameras, but then I’ve never deliberately dropped a camera or based them against a wall to see how they’d fair ;)

I think the Nikon looks top quality, from the pics at least. Looks a premium product to me. The G9’s never going to win any beauty awards, neither has it struck me as the most rugged of all cameras, but then I’ve never deliberately dropped a camera or based them against a wall to see how they’d fair ;)

I'm going by watching others handle it in the previews, they say it feels really light, I swear at least one previewer said it felt plastic-y ... I haven't held the G9, but I own a G80 and it's like a mini brick. Really solid, very sturdy, feels like you could kill someone by aiming it through their face y'know?

:D

I'm going by watching others handle it in the previews, they say it feels really light, I swear at least one previewer said it felt plastic-y ... I haven't held the G9, but I own a G80 and it's like a mini brick. Really solid, very sturdy, feels like you could kill someone by aiming it through their face y'know?

:D
I can think of a few who’s direction i’d Like to chuck it starting with the wa....s riding motor bikes on a public walkway,t,,,ts

It's certainly the fugliest mirrorless camera that I've seen so far. I hate their ergonomics, but if you're a Canon shooter they're exactly what you'll want. A second card slot would be far more important to me than IBIS. The 35mm looks a nice size. Hopefully the Canikon releases make Sony realise there's a massive 35mm 1.8-shaped gap in their lens range.

It's certainly the fugliest mirrorless camera that I've seen so far. I hate their ergonomics, but if you're a Canon shooter they're exactly what you'll want. A second card slot would be far more important to me than IBIS. The 35mm looks a nice size. Hopefully the Canikon releases make Sony realise there's a massive 35mm 1.8-shaped gap in their lens range.
Rumours are it's just the one card slot, late the hate begin ;)

I just got back from being off-grid for 10 days and I see the release/pre-orders and I almost ordered the Z-7, had it in the shopping cart!

It's way more resolution than I need or could really use, but having more AF points and no AA filter makes it more appealing to me... plus the other benefits that such high resolution offers is enough for me to accept the file sizes and slightly slower frame rate. I can live with a single XQD card for my use... I've never had one fail in any way (YET). BUT, the drop to 5.5fps to have AF/AE active is a no-go for me, such a shame.

Looks like I'm still waiting for the yet to be announced (and more expensive) professional model. :(

Last edited:
I just got back from being off-grid for 10 days and I see the release/pre-orders and I almost ordered the Z-7, had it in the shopping cart!

It's way more resolution than I need or could really use, but having more AF points and no AA filter makes it more appealing to me... plus the other benefits that such high resolution offers is enough for me to accept the file sizes and slightly slower frame rate. I can live with a single XQD card for my use... I've never had one fail in any way (YET). BUT, the drop to 5.5fps to have AF/AE active is a no-go for me, such a shame.

Looks like I'm still waiting for the yet to be announced (and more expensive) professional model. :(

Ah...I know the AE is locked. Didn’t realise the AF is also locked. Bummer for AFC.

Ah...I know the AE is locked. Didn’t realise the AF is also locked. Bummer for AFC.
To be fair, Nikon don't exactly make it clear on their website

Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 19.27.22.png

This may or not have been covered in this thread, but I've placed my pre-order for a Z7+FTE and will be using my 24-70 f/2.8G lens on it. With that said, I rarely use the lens at f/2.8 and am considering the f/4 for the small compact size and native mount.

What are others doing? Handing in the f/2.8 for the new, slower, kid on the block?

This may or not have been covered in this thread, but I've placed my pre-order for a Z7+FTE and will be using my 24-70 f/2.8G lens on it. With that said, I rarely use the lens at f/2.8 and am considering the f/4 for the small compact size and native mount.

What are others doing? Handing in the f/2.8 for the new, slower, kid on the block?
Given your use, I would probably opt for the native lens.

You’re brave ;)

For me the only reason for having fast lenses is to use them primarily wide open, if not why would you put up with the extra cost and weight (assuming similar build and that there’s not something extra special about the rendering)? If you’re happy shooting at f4 I’d definitely get the native lens which is almost half the weight.

You’re brave ;)

For me the only reason for having fast lenses is to use them primarily wide open, if not why would you put up with the extra cost and weight (assuming similar build and that there’s not something extra special about the rendering)? If you’re happy shooting at f4 I’d definitely get the native lens which is almost half the weight.

The new Z sensor is like a black hole don't you know? aperture won't matter, you can push to like, a Zillion ISO and it'll still be clean

The new Z sensor is like a black hole don't you know? aperture won't matter, you can push to like, a Zillion ISO and it'll still be clean
It could do a Bazillion ISO, pointless if you have a card failure :D lol

You’re brave ;)

To use lenses primarily wide open doesn't make a lot of sense to me and I can't believe many people do that. It makes much more sense to me to choose the aperture you want and if the lens goes to f0.000001 then that's a setting that's available when it's needed or it's an artistic choice. Band shot at the gig in poor light? f1.2 might be nice :D Family group shot at f1.2, no thanks :D

At the mo I have a couple of f1.2 lenses and more f1.4's and I use them at all apertures but maybe it's me that's the odd one out :D

Back