Nikon Z* mirrorless

I could do with a new MB actually, the one I got has grips peeling off and there's a squeak somewhere in the crank that wd40 aint sorting. Must ask the kids can I buy a new one :LOL:

Do it! Had to get a new rear mech last weekend as destroyed mine after 20months of abuse lol. Mind you my bike cost more than my camera!

Well it has a fraction of the Sony user base and Sony are giving away their af protocols for free.
But that comes back to being in its infancy rather than being niche. Granted Sony have made it easier for third party, but AFAIK Nikon and Canon haven’t given protocols away before yet the third party manufacturers have created lenses for them.

I think in a year or two when the Z system has grown a bit we could see Tamron and Sigma starting to take more notice.

But that comes back to being in its infancy rather than being niche. Granted Sony have made it easier for third party, but AFAIK Nikon and Canon haven’t given protocols away before yet the third party manufacturers have created lenses for them.

I think in a year or two when the Z system has grown a bit we could see Tamron and Sigma starting to take more notice.

neither did Sony with a-mount. And that lead to a number of AF issues and only recently have they become reliable and as good as native lenses.
In fact even still they haven't pinned it down fully because the 3rd party lenses needed updating to work with FTZ while nikkors just kinda worked.

Absolutely and I’ll accept the term infancy rather than niche but they mean the same thing..... lower market share. Which in turn is less attractive to 3rd parties especially if they have to reverse engineer the af.

I’m sure it will eventually happen but I suspect the likes of Tamron and Sigma are waiting to see how the Z’s pan out before committing.

I’m sure it will eventually happen but I suspect the likes of Tamron and Sigma are waiting to see how the Z’s pan out before committing.
Absolutely, they don't want to invest into a system that might not take off. That being said, I'm surprisingly optimistic about the Z system. So far reviews and user response has been very positive, they've won awards (for what they're worth) and the road map is looking good. I think that Nikon made a good choice going for the mount size and flange distance that they did, it gives them scope to make some exceptional glass. Also I think the gen 2 bodies will be up there with the best in terms of performance, after all the gen 1's aren't far off which is pretty impressive for a first attempt.

Absolutely, they don't want to invest into a system that might not take off. That being said, I'm surprisingly optimistic about the Z system. So far reviews and user response has been very positive, they've won awards (for what they're worth) and the road map is looking good. I think that Nikon made a good choice going for the mount size and flange distance that they did, it gives them scope to make some exceptional glass. Also I think the gen 2 bodies will be up there with the best in terms of performance, after all the gen 1's aren't far off which is pretty impressive for a first attempt.
It's not really about how good the bodies are.
For example Samsung NX1 body was pretty good.

Though I don't think Nikon will end up like Samsung.
I am hoping 3D tracking or basically mirrorless equivalent with proper eyeAF will come to gen 2 bodies.

I may be wrong but in my innocence and ignorance I think the Nikon mount claims are perhaps largely marketing BS. I may be wrong but at least their claims about the Sony mount not being big enough have been proved to be simply wrong and they must have known this before making the claims. well actually the engineers at Nikon must have known this even if the marketing people didn't.

I've no doubt that the Nikon system is a good one and may even prove to be the best but I do wish we could have clear and accurate facts rather than the almost Brexit/Remain like claims which soon turn out to be smoke and mirrors, to put it mildly.

Sorry to say that in this thread but I'd be saying the same in the Sony thread if they were to make outlandish claims about their own gear and how it compares to the competition.

It's not really about how good the bodies are.
For example Samsung NX1 body was pretty good.

Though I don't think Nikon will end up like Samsung.
I am hoping 3D tracking or basically mirrorless equivalent with proper eyeAF will come to gen 2 bodies.
Obviously Nikon are still regarded as one of the big boys which is different to Samsung so that should help, but no company is safe these days it seems :(

I may be wrong but in my innocence and ignorance I think the Nikon mount claims are perhaps largely marketing BS. I may be wrong but at least their claims about the Sony mount not being big enough have been proved to be simply wrong and they must have known this before making the claims. well actually the engineers at Nikon must have known this even if the marketing people didn't.

I've no doubt that the Nikon system is a good one and may even prove to be the best but I do wish we could have clear and accurate facts rather than the almost Brexit/Remain like claims which soon turn out to be smoke and mirrors, to put it mildly.

Sorry to say that in this thread but I'd be saying the same in the Sony thread if they were to make outlandish claims about their own gear and how it compares to the competition.
It’s physics, larger throat diameter and shorter flange makes for a more favourable angle of incidence. I don’t profess to understand all the reasons why but apparently these means that it’s easier to make higher quality lenses.

Obviously Nikon are still regarded as one of the big boys which is different to Samsung so that should help, but no company is safe these days it seems :(

the "safe" feeling is exactly the reason why canon and nikon are where they are in terms of mirrorless. Though both are pretty aggressively closing the gap (quicker than Sony seems to be addressing usability issues :p )

In terms of enthusiasts yes but Nikon is a minnow compared to Samsung’s camera division if you look at it differently!

Apart from Leica (who is in bed with Panasonic/sigma now), Samsung was the only other non-Japanese camera maker.

In terms of enthusiasts yes but Nikon is a minnow compared to Samsung’s camera division if you look at it differently!
True, but then I think Nikon's camera department is only a small portion of Nikon's overall company so as long as the mother company keeps going I would imagine the camera department will. But as I said before, I don't take it for granted that any company or department is safe these days.

True, but then I think Nikon's camera department is only a small portion of Nikon's overall company so as long as the mother company keeps going I would imagine the camera department will. But as I said before, I don't take it for granted that any company or department is safe these days.
Sorry I meant Samsung as a camera maker. I was thinking Smartphone cameras!

Sorry I meant Samsung as a camera maker. I was thinking Smartphone cameras!
Yeah I got that, I just went off on a. tangent :LOL:

Out of interest, I know Samsung make the screens but do they make the sensors and lenses for their phones too?

Japanese camera companies keep each other going and don't seem to die. Pentax is a good example lol.
I think nikon is far from it. though in 10 years time no one knows what will happen and its foolish to be predicting that now and making decision based on it.

Japanese camera companies keep each other going and don't seem to die. Pentax is a good example lol.
I think nikon is far from it. though in 10 years time no one knows what will happen and its foolish to be predicting that now and making decision based on it.

Cant believe Pentax is still around. Maybe they want last this (milc) round.

Took a trip up to Howden Dam today. Took me ages and a lot of energy to find the location, and then when I got there the sun disappeared behind thick cloud (sun was behind me not infant where that blue sky was :rolleyes:) so it's a bit flat but I thought it was worth sharing nonetheless.

NZ7_2740
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Took a trip up to Howden Dam today. Took me ages and a lot of energy to find the location, and then when I got there the sun disappeared behind thick cloud (sun was behind me not infant where that blue sky was :rolleyes:) so it's a bit flat but I thought it was worth sharing nonetheless.

NZ7_2740
by TDG-77, on Flickr
The autumn colours are still wonderful. Its the grey clouds that are the issue for making it slightly flat like you say. Sunset Or sunrise may work out better. Worth a try again IMO.

Last edited:
Can anyone let me know how many shots a 64GB XQD card holds on average in a Z6? Almost pulled the trigger on the excellent Amazon offer but the cost of memory is a major concern, which feels weird to say in 2019 when it's so staggeringly cheap in any other format. I'd want two cards absolute minimum.

As far as I can tell it's £150 minimum for 64GB, a tough pill to swallow vs £10 for an equivalent SD card.

Can anyone let me know how many shots a 64GB XQD card holds on average in a Z6? Almost pulled the trigger on the excellent Amazon offer but the cost of memory is a major concern, which feels weird to say in 2019 when it's so staggeringly cheap in any other format. I'd want two cards absolute minimum.

As far as I can tell it's £150 minimum for 64GB, a tough pill to swallow vs £10 for an equivalent SD card.

According to the manual, 1100 uncompressed RAW
e-infin have 64 G cards at £109
120 for £150

I’m in exactly the same position ! Like everything else about the Z6 apart from the ridiculous memory card - who thought that was a good idea ?

I’m in exactly the same position ! Like everything else about the Z6 apart from the ridiculous memory card - who thought that was a good idea ?[/QUOTE

Having used the Z6 all year I think the card works well. Strong, speedy and price wise not unreasonable. Comparable lower speed SD cards have been just as expensive on launch and prices are dropping. When the firmware allows the use of high speed CF cards the cost of these will no doubt fall over time especially as there are more than one manufacturer making them.

Last edited:
The autumn colours are still wonderful. Its the grey clouds that are the issue for making it slightly flat like you say. Sunset Or sunrise may work out better. Worth a try again IMO.
Yeah I went for the golden hour but as I said the cloud gods were against me. I don't know what it is about that part of the Derbyshire but every time I've been thick cloud's rolled in just before the golden hour :( I'm not sure if/when I'll go back as it was quite a sketchy climb to get there tbh.

According to the manual 14 bit lossless compressed files are 28.2mb on average. That means you should get roughly (64000/28.2) 2270 photos. There's no need to use uncompressed when Nikon have such a good lossless compressed.

As for the cards I'm not sure where you're getting that the XQD 64GB are 15 times that of an equivalent SD. When I've looked the XQD's are roughly the same price as equivalent speed SD cards. I got a 128GB Sony XQD card for £130 when I first got my D850, although to be fair I haven't seen them that cheap since. The flash centre have 128GB for £169 and 64GB for £99 if you don't mind the slower Sony ones? I've not used the flash centre before but a quick google shows it gets 5 stars on trust pilot
https://www.theflashcentre.com/sony_128gb_m-series_xqd_memory_card.html?search_string=Xqd+card
I’m in exactly the same position ! Like everything else about the Z6 apart from the ridiculous memory card - who thought that was a good idea ?
TBH I can see the reason for XQD and eventually CFexpress, they're more reliable and capable of faster speeds. My only gripe is that they don't do slower versions for the budget minded. I've never had an issue with the Sandisk Pro Extreme SD cards at 95mb/s, if they did an equivalent XQD that'd be great for me.

Did a bit a research on the Z cameras as was thinking of getting one and adapting some lenses. Stumbled across this video testing out lenses via the adapter, and the performance looks pretty dreadful.

Any z owners getting better results or has performance been improved via fw updates?

View: https://youtu.be/XMIAV-exl_o

Did a bit a research on the Z cameras as was thinking of getting one and adapting some lenses. Stumbled across this video testing out lenses via the adapter, and the performance looks pretty dreadful.

Any z owners getting better results or has performance been improved via fw updates?

Not watched the video but I've not had any issues using AF-S lenses via the adapter (24-70mm f2.8 G, 50mm f1.8 G, 85mm f1.8G, 18-35mm G, 70-200mm f2.8 VRII)

Last edited:
Yeah I went for the golden hour but as I said the cloud gods were against me. I don't know what it is about that part of the Derbyshire but every time I've been thick cloud's rolled in just before the golden hour :( I'm not sure if/when I'll go back as it was quite a sketchy climb to get there tbh.
According to the manual 14 bit lossless compressed files are 28.2mb on average. That means you should get roughly (64000/28.2) 2270 photos. There's no need to use uncompressed when Nikon have such a good lossless compressed.

As for the cards I'm not sure where you're getting that the XQD 64GB are 15 times that of an equivalent SD. When I've looked the XQD's are roughly the same price as equivalent speed SD cards. I got a 128GB Sony XQD card for £130 when I first got my D850, although to be fair I haven't seen them that cheap since. The flash centre have 128GB for £169 and 64GB for £99 if you don't mind the slower Sony ones? I've not used the flash centre before but a quick google shows it gets 5 stars on trust pilot
https://www.theflashcentre.com/sony_128gb_m-series_xqd_memory_card.html?search_string=Xqd+card

TBH I can see the reason for XQD and eventually CFexpress, they're more reliable and capable of faster speeds. My only gripe is that they don't do slower versions for the budget minded. I've never had an issue with the Sandisk Pro Extreme SD cards at 95mb/s, if they did an equivalent XQD that'd be great for me.
Thanks - I would also need a card reader - my iMac has an SD card slot that presumably won’t except a XQD card ? How much should I budget for that ?

Z’s have been out for nearly a year now. I’ve not seen any complaints about the adapter. I use mine without problems.

Also haven't watched the video but the performance is lens dependant in my experience. Some work lot better than others and some actually work better that native ones (eg: 35/1.8G)

I think canon possibly has best reverse compatibility with adapters. Works pretty evenly across everything (though long telephotos are still not the best there also)

Thanks - I would also need a card reader - my iMac has an SD card slot that presumably won’t except a XQD card ? How much should I budget for that ?
Seen them as cheap as £13 but not tried them, I have the Sony one but I believe that's gone up a bit and around £65.

Seen them as cheap as £13 but not tried them, I have the Sony one but I believe that's gone up a bit and around £65.
Thanks - does anyone know if is it possible to plug the camera straight into an iMac and put the photos straight into Lightroom ?

Xqd is the main turn off for me on the Z bodies. I like pretty much everything else about them , well apart from reports that manual only lenses don't benefit from the ibis? £99 for a card is nowhere near cheap when you like to have a bunch of them on hand. I prefer to switch cards rather than pile everything onto one large capacity. How much are 32gb xqd in general? Even at £60 or so I can have 3x pretty nippy SD cards for as much.

Thanks for feedback. Did you watch the video? Seems to be a fair few complaints on YouTube.
I watched a little but that guy bores me rigid so I stopped. He seemed to be moaning about the speed of AF. Don’t forget that since then Nikon have issued a firmware update that does improve autofocus speed. Mirrorless AF is more accurate than a DSLR, no fine tuning necessary. Stabilisation is 5 axis with a Z lens and 3 axis with others. If the Nikon lens has VR it helps. I’ve tried a few of my old manual focus lenses and I don’t think the IBIS make a lot of difference. IBIS is more effective on shorter focal lengths. I think competence in using focus peaking is more relevant, given steady hands.

I didn't click on the video, but let me guess, it's Matt Cringer? Not a typo . . . I have him in my top 5 most irritating photography related YouTubers. Also how old is the video? Of its ore fw updates it shouldn't really count.

I didn't click on the video, but let me guess, it's Matt Cringer? Not a typo . . . I have him in my top 5 most irritating photography related YouTubers. Also how old is the video? Of its ore fw updates it shouldn't really count.

I did mention in comment if fw has improved the performance or not.

Back