Nikon Z* mirrorless

i think he pushes the boundaries of physics with it, hence he gets quite a lot of OOF shots. You just cant expect 100% AF accuracy at 70mph and 1/15s / at 80mm

50metres?Thats a nice sized garden!

Heard a commotion yesterday in the garden and looked out to see the poor pigeon being disembowled by our resident hawk (identification would be good as I'm not sure - sparrow hawk ?).

Was quite disconcerting to see the pigeon squirming then just stopped moving as the raptor ripped into it's flesh. Shot with my Z7 with the 300mm PF and 1.4x through double glazed windows at around 50m

Yeah, we have the house, then a big patio then a long garden, and this was at the very bottom.

Can anyone point me to an XQD Card Reader. Looking for recommendations.

Thanks

Can anyone point me to an XQD Card Reader. Looking for recommendations.

Thanks
I got one that also reads SD cards (Bottom slot)
Also

Last edited:
I got one that also reads SD cards (Bottom slot)
Also

Thanks Graham. Just ordered that one, SD card reader will be useful as well....

Well after looking at some of the online reviews decided to give this a punt as my one lens travel system. The new Nikon 24-200, shown on my Z6 II. No testing yet but I'll give it a try over the upcoming weekend

Hopefully got a Z6 & 24-70 turning up tomorrow.

Thinking about odd bits I’ll need, wondered what people are using for additional batteries. OEM or third party options.

(No doubt loads of other daft questions when I get the camera inhand):LOL:

Hopefully got a Z6 & 24-70 turning up tomorrow.

Thinking about odd bits I’ll need, wondered what people are using for additional batteries. OEM or third party options.

(No doubt loads of other daft questions when I get the camera inhand):LOL:
My experience is to go with genuine batteries. A few tests online would suggest going for the very latest en-el15C, as it eeks out a few more shots and if you ever upgrade it'll allow power delivery via power bank.
I'd get a rear/top screen protector, a bracket/grip/plate for the underside that also gives a bit more height to the body.

My experience is to go with genuine batteries. A few tests online would suggest going for the very latest en-el15C, as it eeks out a few more shots and if you ever upgrade it'll allow power delivery via power bank.
I'd get a rear/top screen protector, a bracket/grip/plate for the underside that also gives a bit more height to the body.

Thanks again. You seem to be a constant source of answers for me:ROFLMAO:

I’ll look at the genuine batteries as suggested. I’m assuming you can’t charge the Z6 from a power bank.

L bracket is a requirement, it’ll live on a tripod for 90% of the time I’ll be using it.

14-30 and 70-200. :D

Haha, you read my mind. The 14-30 is on the list once I get straight. Got a bit of Fuji gear to move on so hopefully plenty left for additional glass :)

I do like the idea of being as minimal as I can, so hopefully the 24-70 will keep me going for a bit.

Anyone with a Z7 II done the firmware ? I updated yesterday and have to say not noticed a difference.

Thanks again. You seem to be a constant source of answers for me:ROFLMAO:

I’ll look at the genuine batteries as suggested. I’m assuming you can’t charge the Z6 from a power bank.
Yes it can, but the difference between the Z6 and Z6II is the Z6II will allow it to power the camera while on. With the Z6 it will only charge it while off.

I've updated mine but have yet to take a shot with it. Have you tried out the face/eye AF?
To be fair not yet, but just moving the lens around continuous focus was slow to change, even on fastest setting, I was expecting it to be snappier and if anything felt slower to change than before upgrade ? This was with Dynamic Area AF (AF-C)

Can anyone reccomend a good camera insert that would fit the Z6 and 24-200mm please? So I can store it in a hiking rucksack

I've finally ordered a Z6ii.
I now need to order some memory cards. Can someone give me a rough idea how many Raw shots I should expect to get on a card please so I can decide on what sizes to get.

ALSO
Can someone recommend a decent comfortable Hand/Wrist Strap please.

Last edited:
I now need to order some memory cards. Can someone give me a rough idea how many Raw shots I should expect to get on a card please so I can decide on what sizes to get.

ALSO
Can someone recommend a decent comfortable Hand/Wrist Strap please.
Hi, I have one although I don`t remember where/who I bought it from except it was from evilbay but look on there and search corded camera hand straps, ther are a few.
Jackthehat is one shop that has them and has been about sometime.

Can someone give me a rough idea how many Raw shots I should expect to get on a card please so I can decide on what sizes to get.
Google is your friend :cool:

Z6 & 24-70 turned up this afternoon used from LCE. They really are quite a bargain used now aren’t they.

First impressions are it feels reassuringly Nikon and the files look reassuringly Nikon :)

Going to be a bit of a learning curve in comparison to the Fuji kit I’m so used to for sure.

They maybe a bit bulky but the Lowepro toploader can accommodate the Z6 and 24-200. Can be hip mounted too.
Thank you for this, I'm probably looking for something as small as possible so it will fit with everything else in a lightweight hiking pack

First time out shooting with the Z6 & 24-70 f4. Initial feelings are I'm happy, it's perfect for what I shoot. Managed to get a good handle on the fly of most used settings & loaded them into a user setting profile, which makes things easy.

Shame the screen doesn't articulate in portrait shooting, which is super useful on the X-H1 I have been shooting.

Time to get the Fuji kit photographed and sold, so I can buy more lenses (y)

DSC_0046
by Dave Young, on Flickr

Oh, and I found an L bracket on Amazon this morning for the Z6 for £4 quid!! :giggle:

I have setup up my camera for sports mode on U2, but for some reason the evf is laggy where on all other presets (i have setup for landscape and portrait) and the regular PSAM modes the evf isnt lagging, what have i done to make this happen?

EDIT: Ive figured it out, its AF-C that causes it, the other settings are on AC-S
EDIT 2: Its doing it even though im not holding af-on im just looking through the evf

Last edited:
I have setup up my camera for sports mode on U2, but for some reason the evf is laggy where on all other presets (i have setup for landscape and portrait) and the regular PSAM modes the evf isnt lagging, what have i done to make this happen?

EDIT: Ive figured it out, its AF-C that causes it, the other settings are on AC-S
EDIT 2: Its doing it even though im not holding af-on im just looking through the evf

Have you updated the firmware to 3.30?

Also whats your recommendations for sport / action pics regards the A9 [apply settings to live view] ive read that its best to turn that off

As you can tell im setting my U1/2/3

This beautiful lens arrived today, I'll be taking it to Snowdonia this weekend to see how it performs :) I'll post feedback on here if anyone is interested

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210430-170041_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210430-170041_Gallery.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 41
This beautiful lens arrived today, I'll be taking it to Snowdonia this weekend to see how it performs :) I'll post feedback on here if anyone is interested

Yes please. I’m so close to chopping in my 24-70 and 70-300 for this. I really like my 24-70 but a one lens fix is very appealing. I’ve just noticed that the 24-200 doesn’t have the annoying lock to ‘close’ the lens like the 24-70 does. Another plus point. Please let us know your thoughts after you’ve had a day with the lens.

Stopped the car on The Downs (Isle of Wight) this evening on the way home from work. There were some interesting cloud formations so thought I'd stop and snap them. One with a Carl Zeiss Jena DDR Flektogon 50/2.8 and the other with a 12mm Samyang Fisheye, both on the Z6 and all of us slightly wet after.. :oops: :$

CLOUDS2.jpg

clouds.jpg

Back