Nipped over to Elie this afternoon.

Edit My Images
No
Fancied heading over the Elie and doing some landscape photography as recently I have been tied down with some project work which isn't quite as interesting to me as the areas I am more into.

Anyway, please comment, critique anything, I just thought I would share these out.

NKN_5552 by ryan hollings, on Flickr

NKN_5549 by ryan hollings, on Flickr

NKN_5529 by ryan hollings, on Flickr

NKN_5526 by ryan hollings, on Flickr

NKN_5559 by ryan hollings, on Flickr

NKN_5515 by ryan hollings, on Flickr

NKN_5608 by ryan hollings, on Flickr

NKN_5570 by ryan hollings, on Flickr

Pardon my ignorance, but is that Elie on the Firth of Forth ?
Nice set, by the way.

A good set of pictures, I do like the lighthouse? though the archway and the B&W rocks with the lighthouse in the background.

Though impressed by your playful eye and the cool way you
work your takes, I can see that your shots, Ryan, have a lot
more potential than the presented renditions.

love the bottom photo its a lovely shot but just moving the composition slightly to use the path more central
as a leading line to the lighthouse with the stunning background would have made it perfect
i love the shot though and looks like a cool place to visit.

Thanks for the comments people

Pardon my ignorance, but is that Elie on the Firth of Forth ?
Certainly is! it is on the South* coast of East Fife.

Though impressed by your playful eye and the cool way you
work your takes, I can see that your shots, Ryan, have a lot
more potential than the presented renditions.

Thanks bud, would you care to elaborate? any advice is welcome - everyday is a school day :p

Cheers fellers!

Earl

Last edited:
would you care to elaborate?

For one thing, the unequal renditions are not making these
as a set but more like a collection on unrelated pictures.

Individually, some have too much contrast or keystone issues,
or DRL unresolved settings.

You got something good there but it needs some more work!

For one thing, the unequal renditions are not making these
as a set but more like a collection on unrelated pictures.

Individually, some have too much contrast or keystone issues,
or DRL unresolved settings.

You got something good there but it needs some more work!

Makes a lot of sense, thanks for the response :)
I see how you mean, like, hardly any of the pictures 'match' which is a very fair point, I think I'm still largely experimenting with different aspects of filter usage and post processing - particularly with landscape photography, a reason behind this in this case was the fact, a lot of the images are of the same thing, as the sun went down, using different filters which tempted me more into varying the final image appearance. Essentially I think the more experience I gain judging which strength of filters to use as the light gets dimmer I would hope the images would even out. Just gotta keep shooting :) - Off to Shetland next week for 7 days, lets see what I can rustle up while up there :)

I think as well, for all of those points, I should maybe once finished processing just take a step back, and review the collection as a whole to make sure they don't look too different. This is something to take into consideration next time.

I feel within reason photography can be difficult past the technical side, as something you think is a great idea, someone else thinks is kak :) - just like contemporary art.

Cheers again Kodiak - I will bear these points in mind on future shoots :)

All comments much appreciated!

Earl

Last edited:
Blimey that nearly a whole roll of film init? :)
For me the 12th (that's the last but one) is my pick and I'd probably loose a third of the sky as although the moon may look nice it's too small to add anything to the frame.
As per @Kodiak Qc comments really regards a few issues but nonetheless a nice set that has great potential.
I think posting shots in small groups is likely to get you more feedback big ear.
No12 has lovely light, especially the glow of the sun on the horizon really nice diagonal lead in to the lighthouse

Last edited:
Back