Nostalgia is it a thing of the past?

Who remembers platforms and wedges, and trousers legs so wide you had to walk sideways in high winds?

Who remembers platforms and wedges, and trousers legs so wide you had to walk sideways in high winds?
What about spades?
It may not have been a universal name. They were men's (boys) low heal shoes with a wide toe, hence the spade name. The toe surface was usually a lattice pattern of leather or pvc. The sole and heal made up of thin layers in black, brown and beige giving a stripe effect. If I remember correctly something similar was originally available as platforms and these came after. I have tried a Google image search, but can't find any examples.

The only real way to eat this!
It just seems a bit light on vinegar though its not soaked into the paper

74698857_2542585652641615_7297617943821549568_n.jpg

Dunno if it's true, but I heard they stopped that when newsprint went to colour, 'cos the new pigments weren't safe to eat if they got on your chips.

I've always loved fish'n'chips wrapped in newspaper. It steams the chips and makes them soft. Swmbo doesn't like newspapers because the chips go soggy. A local chippy uses cardboard so the chips stay crisp.

A local chippy uses cardboard so the chips stay crisp.
But by the time the vinegar has soaked in, they go soft anyway.
Well if you use enough vinegar that is :D

I read they banned it in newspapers because the black print was coming off and onto the chips.
Probably just another excuse to wrap something else in polystyrene :rolleyes:

I remember fish and chips being wrapped in newspaper but I seem to recall they always had a grease proof wrapping around the food.

Surely being in direct contact with the (possibly filthy) newspaper for any length of time would render the food pretty much inedible or at least unpalatable?

Surely being in direct contact with the (possibly filthy) newspaper for any length of time would render the food pretty much inedible or at least unpalatable?
Yeah but we used to eat mud pies with worms, what's a little bit of ( unsold) newspaper print :D

I remember fish and chips being wrapped in newspaper but I seem to recall they always had a grease proof wrapping around the food.
This.
Our chippy said the newspaper they got was the unsold copies from the local daily, so it hadn't been pawed by anyone before your chips saw it.

After our local chippie stopped serving F&C in printed paper (like Tori said, uncirculated returns), they continued to use blank "newspaper" (which is also great for cleaning windows!) as the wrapper. Too far away from the place now to make it worth the trip but they were great fish suppers.

I remember the days when you could go for a walk to the local shops, buy as many toilet rolls and as much rice and pasta as you could carry... and when you arrived home, see your next door neighbour mowing their front lawn, stop for a chat and suggest going to the pub for a pint and to watch the football when they'd finished. Tell that to the kids today and they won't believe you!

Last edited:
I remember the halcyon days when all that filled the news channel was talk of Brexit....

I remember the halcyon days when all that filled the news channel was talk of Brexit....
I knew the powers that be, would find an angle to drag this out even further :D

Back