Nostalgia is it a thing of the past?

We must be from different parts of the country, Jubblies are NOT frozen drinks :D

Also known as funbags IIRC. :love:

At risk of sounding like one of the 4 Yorkshiremen, we were really hard up, and sometimes dinner depended on finding a few corona bottles for the 3d deposit so that there was enough money to get some soup & bread.

The submarines/divers that sank & rose in the bath used to take an effervescent tablet of some kind, rather than simple baking soda, and the act of surfacing was enough to release the pent-up gas inside, allowing the heavier than water toy to return to the bottom of the bath.

I also remember Jetex motors that required clever ignition using specially shaped wicks that frequently failed to light, and also getting burnt fingers from taking them to bits after the fuel only partially ignited & failed to burn properly. In similar but more expensive vein, there were the Babe-bee glow motors that were used to power control-line models that required a battery to make th plug glow & allow the thing to start - or not, if the battery wasn't up to scratch. My father built a control-line model, but after taking it on a trip to the local park, it failed to start and was eventually stamped on out of frustration.

Other bits of nostaglia: as a small kid being given a couple of chips wrapped in newspaper by the fish-n-chippy place, hearing Listen With Mother on the radio (are you sitting comfortably? then I'll begin) debating whether Blackjacks or Fruit Salad chews were better value at 2 for a ha'penny, slightly gritty chocolate poured into tin foil moulds printed on the outside with pictures of Thunderbirds, fake cigarettes containing powder that you could puff to appear like smoke & stinkbombs made of thin glass that were used by smashing to release the liquid inside, games in amusement arcades that worked like video games but were entirely mechanical.

I could go on.....

Also known as funbags IIRC. :love:

At risk of sounding like one of the 4 Yorkshiremen, we were really hard up, and sometimes dinner depended on finding a few corona bottles for the 3d deposit so that there was enough money to get some soup & bread.

The submarines/divers that sank & rose in the bath used to take an effervescent tablet of some kind, rather than simple baking soda, and the act of surfacing was enough to release the pent-up gas inside, allowing the heavier than water toy to return to the bottom of the bath.

I also remember Jetex motors that required clever ignition using specially shaped wicks that frequently failed to light, and also getting burnt fingers from taking them to bits after the fuel only partially ignited & failed to burn properly. In similar but more expensive vein, there were the Babe-bee glow motors that were used to power control-line models that required a battery to make th plug glow & allow the thing to start - or not, if the battery wasn't up to scratch. My father built a control-line model, but after taking it on a trip to the local park, it failed to start and was eventually stamped on out of frustration.

Other bits of nostaglia: as a small kid being given a couple of chips wrapped in newspaper by the fish-n-chippy place, hearing Listen With Mother on the radio (are you sitting comfortably? then I'll begin) debating whether Blackjacks or Fruit Salad chews were better value at 2 for a ha'penny, slightly gritty chocolate poured into tin foil moulds printed on the outside with pictures of Thunderbirds, fake cigarettes containing powder that you could puff to appear like smoke & stinkbombs made of thin glass that were used by smashing to release the liquid inside, games in amusement arcades that worked like video games but were entirely mechanical.

I could go on.....

And getting farthings, with the Wren in the reverse) in my change (buying Blackjacks & Fruit Salad chews) when I did not want to spend all of the penny I had....................those were the days, kids today certainly don't know how fortunate they are :) ;)

This reminded me, I got into Iron Maiden because of a Lucozade advert! :D
Nothing to do with the advert itself, purely just the music, it was the first time I think I'd heard such a riff, though I grew up listening to plenty of rock, this literally ... struck a chord with me :) I was 9

Last edited:
Mrs Nod had that single. IIRC it was only available as a reward for sending in x labels/tokens. Got borrowed by the DJ and buggered. (The record, not Mrs Nod!!!)

I was born in the 80s. Pop came in plastic bottles. Lucozade came in glass bottles. Milk was delivered by the milkman, and for a short time, they also delivered orange juice in pint bottles and small packets of Crunchy Nut Cornflakes.

The toys were simple plastic things (I remember a rubbery six-armed thing with suckers at the end of each arm so you threw it and it would stick), or part of cardboard box (I vividly remember Rice Krispies had a "car" that was printed on the back of the box and you had to cut it out and fold it into a car). There were a few things we sent away for with tokens plus 20p or similar:
  • a three-armed boomerang that never came back
  • a frisbee that was supposed to make a screaming sound as you threw it but never worked
  • Kellogg's vintage toy cars
  • Kellogg's cereal bowls (does anyone remember them?)
  • a Weetabix cassette tape with songs on it
I was also a member of the Bobby Bottle club and got stuff like paper hats and similar for birthdays.

Mrs Nod had that single. IIRC it was only available as a reward for sending in x labels/tokens. Got borrowed by the DJ and buggered. (The record, not Mrs Nod!!!)
They may have had a promotional pressing done, which was clever marketing. The song was released commercially as a single around 1981, but without the Limara name in it. It was called 'Remember my name' by a singer named Stevie Lange https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevie_Vann. I think I may still have a copy of this single somewhere.

There's some more nostalgia: 45 rpm singles; I remember going to buy my first record as a kid and it cost 49p!

Last edited:
I remember the Lucozade / Iron Maiden advert but not the Limara advert, nor the song, could it have been a regional advert?
I do remember this from an '81 Levis advert though. Young and Moody, Bob Young (Status Quo co-wrier) and Mick Moody ( Whitesnake guitarist from when they were still Bluesy) Obviously replace These Eyes with Levis for the advert version. Not sure if the advert is on YouTube, but the single cover is a screenshot from the video.
View: https://youtu.be/vEYMpbIqjoY

Oh, other memories were of being able to buy big 'ol knives, swords and air weapons as a barely teenager - completely unthinkable now. There was a fascinating place in Croydon called the swap shop that sold all kinds of paraphernalia including Gurkha knives and air guns. My 'little' brother, probably around 10 YO, bought a fake sabre there that was sharply pointed, and could easily run a man through.

In similar but more expensive vein, there were the Babe-bee glow motors that were used to power control-line models that required a battery to make th plug glow & allow the thing to start - or not, if the battery wasn't up to scratch. My father built a control-line model, but after taking it on a trip to the local park, it failed to start and was eventually stamped on out of frustration.
Oh Hell yeah! I remember the little glow motors, as you said, a real PITA to start!

Milk was delivered by the milkman, and for a short time, they also delivered orange juice in pint bottles
School milk anyone? by the time we got to drink it at break time it was usually luke warm,
either because it was summer, or some twatt had stored it by the radiators.

I seem to remember latterly, bring given the choice between milk and orange juice in 1/4? pint bottles.

Oh Hell yeah! I remember the little glow motors, as you said, a real PITA to start!

School milk anyone? by the time we got to drink it at break time it was usually luke warm,
either because it was summer, or some twatt had stored it by the radiators.

I seem to remember latterly, bring given the choice between milk and orange juice in 1/4? pint bottles.

Third pint bottles of milk indeed.
Luke warm, as you say, with a paper straw that collapsed on itself after seven seconds. :LOL:

I was a teenager in 1960s London. It's not at all true that if you can remember it you weren't really there...

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I was a teenager in 1960s London. It's not at all true that if you can remember it you weren't really there...

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Actually I can't remember all of it :)

PS you are a few days older than me ;)

Last edited:
Never had school milk. They must have phased it out by then. I know Margaret Thatcher was called "the milk snatcher".

School milk seemed to have a taste all of its own too. Then there were those cheap sweets they sold in the school tuck shop - those pastel-coloured, sherbet-filled UFO things with an outer layer that had a texture that seemed something like a cross between blotting paper and polystyrene foam! And the McCowan's(?) highland toffee bar. It's a good job discipline was strict in those days, otherwise we'd have been running up the walls after all that sugar! :giggle: Oh, and the price of a packet of crisps in those days... 6d (two and a half new pence)!

Talking of prices, I remember a mate at high school once saying "One day we'll be saying, I remember when a Mars Bar cost 10p!", and we all laughed. How right he was!

Last edited:
I was born in 1984. I had school milk in both infants and junior school.. in fact I had the prestigious job in junior school of handing out the digestive biscuits at milk time. Everyone got one, except me who got two

We still have milk and orange juice delivered in glass pint bottles by a milkman.. must be a countryside thing.

those pastel-coloured, sherbet-filled UFO things with an outer layer that had a texture that seemed something like a cross between blotting paper and polystyrene foam!
I remember those sweets but I was never a fan of them. My favourite from the tuckshop was marshmallow sticks, pink and white twisted, maybe 6-9 inch long.

Never had school milk. They must have phased it out by then. I know Margaret Thatcher was called "the milk snatcher".
I'm not sure when it ended but
Harold Wilson's Labour government stopped free milk for secondary school pupils in1968 and then in 1971, Lady Thatcher, who was education secretary under Sir Edward Heath, ended free school milk for children over the age of seven.

School milk seemed to have a taste all of its own too.
Yeah Bloody awful IIRC

Talking of prices, I remember a mate at high school once saying "One day we'll be saying, I remember when a Mars Bar cost 10p!", and we all laughed. How right he was!
Pre-decimalisation it was 6d it quickly became 5p ( double the price)

Oh, and the price of a packet of crisps in those days... 6d
And the bag wasn't filled with air either!
Remember the little blue bags of salt ?

And what were those little bottles of pop called?
The ones that came in all sorts of colours, no doubt they would start an "allergic re-action" today :D

I remember those sweets but I was never a fan of them. My favourite from the tuckshop was marshmallow sticks, pink and white twisted, maybe 6-9 inch long.
That's reminded me of liquorice bootlaces now, and the later strawberry flavoured version! Liquorice pinwheels too, with those pink or blue centres with the strange tasting hundreds and thousands type coating. Didn't we used to eat some c**p! :LOL:

I have to admit I remember asking the sweetie shop how many coupons I had left and would it be possible to buy some Chocolate

Was it Panda Pops?
No thats not it, they were in glass bottles that looked a bit like the coke bottles I'm sure they were full of sugar and all things artificial.

I was born in the '51 and for quite a few years our milk was delivered by the milkman with a horse and cart. He also had little bottles with foil tops like milk bottles(1/3 of a pint I think they were) of an orange drink. It wasn't orange juice but it tasted better than other orange squash drinks. We also had the Co-op greengrowcer come around in a van on Saturday afternoons.

Dave

i was just thinking about the flexi 45's records that used to be given away on magazines
iv'e not seen one of those in years

first record i ever bought was Virginia plain roxy music from boots, i think that cost me 50p or that sort of money at the time
i remember it being 2 weeks pocket money

more of a parent thing but i remember books full of green shield stamps and embassy cigarette cards piled up in a draw

Last edited:
One of my favourite sweets was one that looked like rolling tobacco and even came in a pouch similar to Golden Virginia etc. I can't remember the name though.
I'm pretty sure it was called "Sweet tobacco" Edit, or "Spanish gold"
and the green stuff "Seaweed"

One of my favourite sweets was one that looked like rolling tobacco and even came in a pouch similar to Golden Virginia etc. I can't remember the name though.
Still available in a little sweetshop in Whitstable.

Didn't we used to eat some c**p! :LOL:
All good for a growing kid.
Was it Panda Pops?
I used to love Panda Pops. My favourite was the blue one, probably bubblegum.

I remember in primary school we used to have push-pops. Basically a lollipop in the form of a lipstick container. My group used to eat our push-pops and then stamp on the end so the plastic disc that supported the push-pop came flying out. Used to have "battles". Until they got banned.

Blackjacks were also banned for turning tongues black!

Many of the sweeties from my childhood were made by these guys.

https://swizzels.com/about/

The factory is in New Mills, Derbyshire. I drive past it when visiting my brother in Marple.
There's a factory shop!

Strangely I've never heard of them! Bubblegum "tip-tops" (freezepops) used to turn tongues blue too.
They were black ice outside and blood red frozen jelly inside.

One of the great mysteries of life, like whatever happened to white dog poo?!

I remember this was asked on another forum and seems that since dog’s diet has changed and very few eat tinned dog with marrow bone and get a bone to chew “white poo” is rare. Some s***! you just remember.

Strangely I've never heard of them! Bubblegum "tip-tops" (freezepops) used to turn tongues blue too.

Bubblegum flavour ice cream still does. Gods only know what they put in the stuff to get such a livid blue colour that lasts for ages - always fun sticking one's tongue out at children in traffic, especially when one's tongue is bright blue!

Back