Nostalgia is it a thing of the past?

On that note I remember the Pie, Mash and Eel shop, sold the Eels live and wrapped them up in newspaper.
Animal rights mob would go mental these days, they were kept in metal trays outside the shop
Originally the pie and mash liquor was made from the stewed Eels liquid, think its just Parsley sauce now

One of the "Bad" nostalgic things from growing up back in the day was that every where you went, coach trips with Dads local club, family days in the car, etc parents would be chain smoking all the way there and back and of course the wives with their hair lacquered coiffures wouldnt let anyone open a window. So all the kids were sick as a parrot most of the time from the fumes. And that got put down as "travel sickness." No! FO its your manky smoke you ignorant 'tards! At least that's changed for the better!

I smoked then too, me and the old man saved our fag coupons and got a health conscious chip frying pan and other stuff too
Which leads me on nicely to Green Shield Stamps, you could get a Ford Cortina 1.3 with about a thousand books

Last edited:
Not sure if its been covered yet, but early 80's and before, in the pub at night a bloke with a wicker basket and a top with a picture of a scallop shell with eyes on would come in the pub and wander round selling bags of cockles, seafood sticks etc. Weird. But he always sold a few. I had the cockles a few times and always made my gums hurt for some reason. I particularly remember this in Albrighton near RAF Cosford, in the pub right down the bottom on the right.

Yep, same in Coventry. Most pubs. They did quite well.

On that note I remember the Pie, Mash and Eel shop, sold the Eels live and wrapped them up in newspaper.
The Market fishmonger sold them live too (y)
Mum never made jellied eels, but she did make pigs trotters, and pigs head brawn (y)
(separately)

think its just Parsley sauce now
I think you are right (y)
I still make pie and mash with parsley sauce. Goes with a Gammon steak too (y)

Reactions: Sky
The tubes are on sale in B&M, saw them today.
Apart from clackers, which everyone had in the early 70’s (highly dangerous), at about the same time, I remember having a corrugated plastic tube about a metre long which you swung round over your head to make a ghost-like wailing sound.

Last edited:
The tubes are on sale in B&M, saw them today.
I used to have one as a kid, it changed pitch according to how fast you swung it round... the novelty soon wore off, probably to the delight of our neighbours!

I also had one of those Sekiden toy guns that fired the little gold clay ball bearing like things, I can still remember the rather distinctive springy twang it used to make when it fired. Happy days.

I used to have one as a kid, it changed pitch according to how fast you swung it round... the novelty soon wore off, probably to the delight of our neighbours!

I also had one of those Sekiden toy guns that fired the little gold clay ball bearing like things, I can still remember the rather distinctive springy twang it used to make when it fired. Happy days.
Sold for just over £100 on eBay :wideyed:1C1F5F6C-FC40-432D-9FAA-5743498EB55F.jpeg

If that eBay one was a NoS unopened one dating back to the '60's, then the silly money collectors are going to come crawling out of the woodwork.

If that eBay one was a NoS unopened one dating back to the '60's, then the silly money collectors are going to come crawling out of the woodwork.

I have a customer who has a house FULL of dinky models. People send them from all over to get repaired or resprayed. He has a garage full of airbrush kit, sandblasting booth, drills etc etc. He has boxes of parts. You want new headlight glass for a 1958 model of a citroen 2 cv. He will have them somewhere. Last count his model collection alone was about £250k. Hes not a rich guy, ex miner who has just been a passionate collector for many years. Hes a mod on a collectors sight funnily enough.

Has anybody mentioned leather footballs with a blader and a proper lace?

They have now (y)
heavy as hell when they got wet, and hurt like hell when they hit you across the back of the (bare) legs, or around the chops!

Being late for tea after playing out all day in the summer holidays ;)
And then getting the "I've been slaving over a hot stove all afternoon" Lecture from your Mum :D

We had one. It was signed by a football team (may have been England squad) and a present to my dad from his cousin Alf Ramsey. As a kid I remember seeing it in the cupboard under the stairs. After my dad died I found the remains of it in my grandad old sea chest which had spent too many years under a leaky tarpaulin in the back garden along with my dad's old football boots which had also gone mouldy and rotting away. :(

Being late for tea after playing out all day in the summer holidays ;)
We never bothered with tea. We would just grab a sandwich and drink and reconvene our game of cricket or football out in the street. We would be out there until 9 to 9:30, bath and bed then back out there again next morning as soon as the last mouthful of breakfast was swallowed.

Anyone remember Rissoles? I used to love 'em as a kid.
Are they the same idea as “faggots”? My wife discovered Brain’s Faggots early in our marriage and it took me years to break her of them... :(

I hate to think what was in them, but we'd eat anything back then -
As the Americans say, about hot dogs, lips and arse holes :D
Actually I used to quite like them (y)

Are they the same idea as “faggots”? My wife discovered Brain’s Faggots early in our marriage and it took me years to break her of them... :(
I like those too, a bit like the Scottish Haggis but not quite so disgusting :D

Faggots are meatballs made from minced off-cuts and offal, especially pork (traditionally pig's heart, liver, and fatty belly meat or bacon) together with herbs for flavouring and sometimes added bread crumbs. It is a traditional dish in the United Kingdom, especially South and Mid Wales and the English Midlands.

And while we are on this trail, I still eat Black pudding (y)

Black pudding is a type of blood sausage originating in the United Kingdom and Ireland. It is made from pork blood, with pork fat or beef suet, and a cereal, usually oatmeal, oat groats or barley groats.

Reactions: Sky
I've eaten it, it was OK, but I'm not really fan.
Not all haggis is the same though.
There's a butcher in Stornoway, Charles MacLeod, and his black pudding , haggis and white pudding are the best I've ever tasted.
Brought loads back from when we were over there last month.

Not all haggis is the same though.
I'm sure you are right, and I'll say that as someone that's never eaten any purchased North of the border.

When I was growing up, we would have a roast meal on a Sunday, a meal made with the meat on Monday, (curry, cottage pie etc) and 'rissoles' to finish what was left on the Tuesday very often.

Luckily my mother was a pretty good cook and I didn’t find them entirely repulsive.

My grandmother, who had spent a lot of time in the U.S. would make a 'meatloaf' but I couldn’t cope with that! :puke:

and I'll say that as someone that's never eaten any purchased North of the border.

:LOL:

I was the same, but Bob is right, haggis is awesome, the trick is not to think about the sheep's lungs. ;)

They'll deep fry anything here, mars bars, pies, pizza but it's all weirdly very nice. (y)

Nostalgia? Hmmm, I'll throw in Sega Mega Drive and the very first version of Sonic The Hedgehog.

Anyone remember Rissoles? I used to love 'em as a kid.
Yes, they were actually rather tasty. A forerunner to the beefburger, which I supposed killed them off as a quick meal?

There's another blast from the past, the Bird's Eye beefburger adverts with that schoolboy, what was he called, Ben? Bit of a saga with him trying to court some girl in his class over beefburger and chips, what a class act! :giggle:

Talking of adverts, do you remember "Roll us your cap, Grandad"? I can't remember what it was advertising though. Then there were the regular spoof commercial break adverts on The Goodies, with that baked bean ad where Tim Brooke-Taylor playing the part of some annoying child actor always seemed to end up getting hit by the director or having beans poured over his head!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLbQgBUQCww

Back