Nostalgia is it a thing of the past?

Nowt wrong with Brain's faggots.
One of my "in between" jobs was working in a large processed meat factory on the engineers side.
One of the many things they made and cooked, was faggots, "we" always found an excuse to go to the ovens, when they were "fresh out" ;)
(no idea who they were made for, but I think a lot of the stuff went to Walls. )

Do you remember that smell when you returned to school after the holidays and they had re-varnished all the hall floors?

Do you remember that smell when you returned to school after the holidays and they had re-varnished all the hall floors?

My first job, aged 16, was working as a school lab tech, and the first summer I ended up varnishing lab benches. 40 years ago.

Rissoles were usually just thin slices of meat-like material (usually luncheon meat, sometimes corned beef) covered in batter and fried, when I was growing up. My mother would also make an excellent meatloaf, having learned from the European, rather than American tradition. We would also sometimes have rabbit, which isn't often seen in supermarkets now.

My first job, aged 16, was working as a school lab tech, and the first summer I ended up varnishing lab benches. 40 years ago.

Rissoles were usually just thin slices of meat-like material (usually luncheon meat, sometimes corned beef) covered in batter and fried, when I was growing up. My mother would also make an excellent meatloaf, having learned from the European, rather than American tradition. We would also sometimes have rabbit, which isn't often seen in supermarkets now.

We used to get "lucky" rabbits feet from the butchers. Of course we didn't know what we were doing and they always went rotten somewhere in our room.

Did you have those wall bars at school where they swung out from the wall with climbing ropes hanging down. We used to climb them over a parquet floor. H & S wouldnt let you do it in a suite of armour these days.

Did you have those wall bars at school where they swung out from the wall with climbing ropes hanging down. We used to climb them over a parquet floor. H & S wouldnt let you do it in a suite of armour these days.

Local schools in Bicester still have similar arrangements.

Was at my grandkids sports day the other week.
No sack race, 3 legged race or wheelbarrow race :-(
Too dangerous I was told.
I said I'd never seen any accidents in all the years I'd gone to my own kids sports days.
Half an hour later 2 mums collided in the parents race and one was knocked unconscious and had to go to hospital.

Was at my grandkids sports day the other week.
No sack race, 3 legged race or wheelbarrow race :-(
Too dangerous I was told.
I said I'd never seen any accidents in all the years I'd gone to my own kids sports days.
Half an hour later 2 mums collided in the parents race and one was knocked unconscious and had to go to hospital.
Both my sons are in their 20's but there wasn't any of the above when we would go to their sports days. They didn't even have parents races and I had been looking forward to that. :(
I have no idea if it ever got implemented at their school sports day, but around the time of my youngest sons last primary school years, some schools started having "inclusive" sports days, it was no longer a competition and everyone was a winner. If they did implement it at their school, I am glad I never had to witness it.

We had to wear pumps inside (no outdoor shoes to track mud around), but it was quickly discovered you could make an almighty SQUEAK by spinning round on the heel/ball of your foot with the rubber sole of your pump on the freshly varnished floor.
You'd get in big trouble if caught though, as it left a mark the floor polisher couldn't buff away.

I remember my school library carpet would generate static electricity if you scuffed your shoes on it for long enough and then touched someone (or something metal etc), a bit of a jolt.

We would also sometimes have rabbit,
I had ferrets as a kid, and would often nip over the waste ground for a bit of potential bunny stew ;)

Rissoles were usually just thin slices of meat-like material (usually luncheon meat, sometimes corned beef)
Thats "Spam ( or corned beef) Fritters" something totally different to Rissole's.

Have you ever tried white pudding?
Once, I much preferred black pudding

bubble n squeak was the name used around here
Bubble and squeak here was always left over spuds mashed with left over veg, ( cabbage is the best) and fried.
Served with what ever meat was left or fried eggs

Rissoles are just squished meatballs. :LOL:

Have you ever tried white pudding?
Is that what we call 'clootie dumpling', my mate's mum used to steam one the size of a football every Sunday so it could be sliced for her 'man's piece box'. Lovely grub if you could get a bit. My mum's speciality was panacalty.

Is that what we call 'clootie dumpling', my mate's mum used to steam one the size of a football every Sunday so it could be sliced for her 'man's piece box'. Lovely grub if you could get a bit. My mum's speciality was panacalty.
Clootie dumpling is sometimes known as fruit pudding.
It is different from white pudding.
Still great though...:)

Then there was the wonderful Cheshire after-school snack of hot buttered crumpets, smeared with strawberry jam and topped with a couple of thin slices of Cheshire cheese (whole slices, not melted or toasted). To work properly this has to be done with strawberry jam and Cheshire cheese, with the sweetness of the jam and the slightly metallic and salty tanginess of the Cheshire cheese interacting. Lovely with a cup of tea on a cold winter afternoon.

Potato cakes were nice too, if topped with a light coat of lightly salted Lurpak butter.

Last edited:
Winter green cream on your legs for rugby.

I remember the first time I used it - did my legs then went for a pee - god I thought my willy was going to burn off for the 80 minutes on the field!

Winter green cream on your legs for rugby.

I remember the first time I used it - did my legs then went for a pee - god I thought my willy was going to burn off for the 80 minutes on the field!

We used "White horse oil"

My first "Mobile phone"

cups.jpg

Reactions: Sky
I was driving along today and thought about hitch hikers, or rather the absence of them these days. When I was a teenager in the late 70’s and early 80’s I found hitchhiking to be a useful and sociable way to travel and rarely had problems.

I can barely remember the last time I saw anyone with their thumb out on the side of the road :oops: :$(y)

It's been a while since I saw one, but just this month I've seen two on motorway slip roads, holding bits of cardboard with a destinations written on them.

Does anyone remember 'Watch with mother' on TV, which brought us the likes of Trumpton, The Pogles, The Woodentops, Joe, and Andy Pandy?

Then there was 'Listen with mother' on Radio 4... which always began with the words "Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin", and brought us stories like 'Brown Bear and Skipper Ahoy-There' and 'Pussy Simkin', who used to get up to adventures alongside his feline friend Siamese Chang! Happy days.

Does anyone remember 'Watch with mother' on TV, which brought us the likes of Trumpton, The Pogles, The Woodentops, Joe, and Andy Pandy?

Then there was 'Listen with mother' on Radio 4... which always began with the words "Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin", and brought us stories like 'Brown Bear and Skipper Ahoy-There' and 'Pussy Simkin', who used to get up to adventures alongside his feline friend Siamese Chang! Happy days.
Pogle's wood was always my favourite, I think because of the sound of the narrator's voice as much as anything.

Pogle's wood was always my favourite, I think because of the sound of the narrator's voice as much as anything.
Mine too. I remember that Mr Pogle used to say "Hello master hedge-pig" when the hedgehog used to wander along and pull the door bell rope outside their front door and wake them up in the morning. I was never too sure what kind of animal Tog was supposed to be though!

Back