Nostalgia is it a thing of the past?

Top Deck drinks, Texan bar and dial-a-disc we must have held the record for the number of kids crammed into a telephone kiosk to hear the latest chart hits and all for 2p.

Top Deck Shandy was the best. Loved Texan Bars too. My favourite as a kid was Kendal Mint Cake, always used to get a bar after going swimming to eat on the walk home. I think you can still get it now.

Yes, I remember ice on the inside of bedroom windows, it used to form the most amazing fern type patterns if it got cold enough. I also recall the 'forgotten winter' of 1981/2, which never seems to get mentioned on programmes about extreme weather, but gave us the coldest temperature ever recorded in England of -25.2 °C. I probably remember it because I was working in a Butcher's shop as a trainee at the time and my hands had never been as cold!

I remember driving home in a Mini one Saturday afternoon that December after going Xmas shopping with some mates, and we had to pass the ice scraper round the inside of the car as not only had the windows misted up but the condensation had frozen solid, and that was about 4pm! I seem to recall it had never got above -10°C that day. When we got home our jackets were white down one side where the ice off the windows had landed on them, it looked like snow! That was another one, do you remember rally jackets from the late 70s/early 80s? I know I was glad of mine that winter, they were a sort of forerunner to the down-filled jackets we wear today!

Last edited:
Yes, I remember ice on the inside of bedroom windows, it used to form the most amazing fern type patterns if it got cold enough. I also recall the 'forgotten winter' of 1981/2, which never seems to get mentioned on programmes about extreme weather, but gave us the coldest temperature ever recorded in England of -25.2 °C. I probably remember it because I was working in a Butcher's shop as a trainee at the time and my hands had never been as cold!

I remember driving home in a Mini one Saturday afternoon that December after going Xmas shopping with some mates, and we had to pass the ice scraper round the inside of the car as not only had the windows misted up but the condensation had frozen solid, and that was about 4pm! I seem to recall it had never got above -10°C that day. When we got home our jackets were white down one side where the ice off the windows had landed on them, it looked like snow! That was another one, do you remember rally jackets from the late 70s/early 80s? I know I was glad of mine that winter, they were a sort of forerunner to the down-filled jackets we wear today!

I'd forgotten about ice on the inside of the windows. I remember now getting pennies (old ones of course) and warming them and then putting them on the window to melt a little circle of the ice.

Dave

anyone remember Ferguzade. It was like Lucozade but slightly sweeter and different colour. Still came out when you weren't well.

Not sure if it was a Scottish thing !

Yes, I remember ice on the inside of bedroom windows
Metal window frames, single glazed, yep ice on the inside of the windows was common.
Family holidays were usually camping, in the winter I used to put my sleeping bag inside my bed (y)

Fiendish Feet yoghurt, surely anyone who was a kid in the early to mid 90s remembers these!

fiendish-feet-yogurt.jpg

We also used to get a mobile shop, like a grocery store in the back of a van that would come round every day.
Every day? You were lucky! Where I lived it was once a month and we had to climb out of the septic tank, hoping for some treats, but he wouldn't let us into the van because we smelt so badly ...

And who cares about iced windows? In a bad winter if you needed a pee in the night, it would freeze on its way to the chamber pot so that you'd be welded to the pot by an arc of ice. People've never been born, these days.

In a bad winter if you needed a pee in the night, it would freeze on its way to the chamber pot so that you'd be welded to the pot by an arc of ice.
I think your talking pish.
Did you live at the north pole? :)

Last edited:
Every day? You were lucky! Where I lived it was once a month and we had to climb out of the septic tank, hoping for some treats, but he wouldn't let us into the van because we smelt so badly ...

A septic tank? You were lucky!

Is there a named adage, similar to Godwins Law, that says the longer a conversation on the internet gets the higher the probability of Monty Python quotes?

Is there a named adage, similar to Godwins Law, that says the longer a conversation on the internet gets the higher the probability of Monty Python quotes?
I don't know. The council won't let us have an internet connection in our hole... :coat:

In a bad winter if you needed a pee in the night, it would freeze on its way to the chamber pot
You had a p*** pot? blimey you were rich (y)

used to buy the by the quarter ounce but it looks like they are sold in packets now
Yeah lots of sweets were sold loose weren't they?
Pineapple chunks anyone?
And those red and white striped things that tasted of god knows what!

Actually, I think they were called Pineapple Chunk,s but there were also Cola Cubes.

(both of which were cubes!) :rolleyes:
The sweets were mainly known as pineapple cubes.
The tinned fruit was known as pineapple chunks.
Having said that, one brand called their pineapple cubes pineapple chunks. :)

Actually, I think they were called Pineapple Chunk,s but there were also Cola Cubes.
That's how I remember it ( them) too TBH (y)
Still going "strong" so not really Nostalgia.
Well Nostalgia in as much as my mum used to force feed me them when I had a cold.
I'm sure that damaged me for life :D

I used to love Lord Toffingham ice lollies.
Not heard of those?

"Mr Whippy" used to serve up a swirl of ice cream in a plastic sea shell.
With mixed tinned fruit ( fruit cocktail ) crushed nuts and a squirt of some highly toxic thick fruit flavoured "stuff"
(y)

This turned up on FB
I can remember nipping out of college at break time for a WIMPY brunch.
I guess the prices have gone up a little since then?

62138138_2407163966183785_8668263680103677952_n.jpg

There's one on that Site I'd forgotten about - Chocolate Limes - I adored them

Thank you so much for that Site - my waistline will not be thanking you

There's one on that Site I'd forgotten about - Chocolate Limes - I adored them

Thank you so much for that Site - my waistline will not be thanking you

You're welcome.
For the record, I receive no kickbacks. :LOL:

Cream Soda and ice-cream in the same glass.
You could ride a motorcycle without a helmet, not that I did.
Bond Bug wedge 3 wheelers.
Pistols that fired potato pieces.
Plastic rockets with caps in the nose cone that detonated on impact with the ground, so you wedged as many caps as you could and threw it as high as possible to make the most noise when it landed.
Cigarettes had reward points, my Mum smoked Kensitsas and they had a redemption "shop" in Old St (London) where you traded in your points for gifts. How we laughed when it was suggested they would do well to include an iron lung in the brochure.

Not heard of those?

"Mr Whippy" used to serve up a swirl of ice cream in a plastic sea shell.
With mixed tinned fruit ( fruit cocktail ) crushed nuts and a squirt of some highly toxic thick fruit flavoured "stuff"
(y)

Mr Whippy big enemy was Tonibell ice cream. (Tonibell time)

Green shield stamps. Bought everyone's first electric drill!

Green shield stamps. Bought everyone's first electric drill!
Oh yes remember them well especially having to lick the stamps (yuk) to put them in the book. We hardly ever seemed to get the single stamp that meant the page was full.
Trying to remember what shops you used to get them at.

Remember the trips to Norwich to go to the Green Shield shop store.

nostalgia my arse
most of it was s***e
s*** clothes, allways cold
s***e houses, old windows
crap heating
even s***ter cars
s***te food
shiitee technology

no thanks nostalgia is for old pharts who have f*** all else going forward

Back