Not in my back yard ... surely? *We have EVEN MORE cubs!*

I assumed you meant what she took from the Holly bush, otherwise I missed it. :)

Lol...Oh, Yes,I see now.. Taken from the holly bush. I've just looked again. It's chewing the biscuit and you did say you'd put a biscuit there. Just didn't sink in.:rolleyes:

@JohnC6

Further attacks on the Holly bush to retrieve some small fat balls with mealworms. :)

:LOL: It's akin to the American book for children..The Giving Tree.. but in this case it's the bush that keeps giving. Foxy is probably thinking.."Wow..never come across a bush like this. Better not tell the others ..:sneaky:

Let me fix that for you....

:LOL: It's akin to the American book for children..The Giving Tree.. but in this case it's the bush that keeps giving. Foxy is probably thinking.."Wow..never come across a bush like this. Better not tell the others badgers..:sneaky:

;)

Ah...I meant Foxy better not tell the other foxes that usually turn up but yes, don't let on to the badgers either which don't seem to have noticed :)
The badgers will probably discover this in due course, then Gramps will need a new holly bush! :LOL:

The badgers will probably discover this in due course, then Gramps will need a new holly bush! :LOL:

I've watched these from the start and I'm absolutely amazed at how many now visit the garden, especially badgers.I mean it's urban territory. I know,from TV documentaries that foxes are common in our towns and cities but badgers ? It's a real treat to watch and I check each day..evenings for the most part.

Maybe Roger should get the regional TV Points West people in..lol.

Snip:
Maybe Roger should get the regional TV Points West people in..lol.

Yes, then the neighbours get to know and start complaining about all sorts of probably totally unrelated things they want to blame on wildlife and Roger gets it in the neck for encouraging it?

Snip:

Yes, then the neighbours get to know and start complaining about all sorts of probably totally unrelated things they want to blame on wildlife and Roger gets it in the neck for encouraging it?

Hadn't thought of that..lol. It was toungue-in-cheek, really.

Snip:

Already had one neighbour come up wih a complaining, "You've got Badgers coming onto you lawn and I've got a new puppy!".
He looked a bit non-plussed when I told him how excited I was and did he realise we had Foxes as well and that neighbour the other side was following with interest. :)

I've watched these from the start and I'm absolutely amazed at how many now visit the garden, especially badgers.I mean it's urban territory. I know,from TV documentaries that foxes are common in our towns and cities but badgers ? It's a real treat to watch and I check each day..evenings for the most part.
I'm still getting between 50-150 video clips a night but don't always have anything 'interesting' enough to post up. :)

How good is the hearing of a Fox?

We have some mice living along our back drystone wall, between the Holly bush and the small Box hedge, and the neighbours cats regularly sit on the wall trying to catch them. I very occasionally catch sight of the eye reflections in the video clips but last night they were very active!
The Fox is facing away from the wall but notice how he reacts to the moving mice!
The mice survive despite the attention of the Fox and despite the presence of three Badgers and the neighbour's cat hiding under the blackberry bush (watch for the eye reflections).
(Unfortunately the upload to youtube has degraded the quality).

Best viewed full screen to try to spot the action in the wall.

Last edited:
Very good. Sometimes the foxes in our garden stop and look towards a hazel tree which has mice living around the bottom among the multiple shoots.

Dave

Just as Mr Badger predicted in Thursday's post..#646. "The badgers will probably discover this in due course ..then Gramps will need a new holly bush"

It now remains to be seen if Roger will, eventually, need a new holly bush :D

Just as Mr Badger predicted in Thursday's post..#646. "The badgers will probably discover this in due course ..then Gramps will need a new holly bush"

It now remains to be seen if Roger will, eventually, need a new holly bush :D
Yes my thought too John, at least the Foxes are subtle! :LOL:

Someone's patio is going to smell a bit funky this morning! :whistle: What did the fox take off the hedgehog?

Yes indeed. Apart from seeing what wildlife has visited the garden the trail camera is sometimes useful for spotting what a fox leaves behind, especially as our dog finds fox poo irresistible.

Mrs Tringa spins wool and what the fox took was was a small piece fleece prepared for spinning. I'm guessing the fox thought it might have been a small animal. Oddly, the hedgehog are quite interested in it too.

Dave

Your video of the badger climbing to get the food reminded me of this one we got(this time in NW Scotland) climbing to get some peanuts.

Dave
They don't do bad for a 'chunky' mammal do they! :LOL:

They do very well. The log it climbed on, which has been pulled over by a badger more than once, is 75cm high and 25cm in diameter. If one of the badgers stands up between it and camera, the log disappears completely.

Dave

Very cool thread, love it.

Slightly jealous over here. ;)

Very cool thread, love it.

Slightly jealous over here. ;)

Thanks Dale, keeps me looking forward to seeing what's on the SD card each morning. :)
Sadly the Foxes have stopped coming during the day, I suspect because of the increase in traffic and human activity so actual photography is now pretty much out of the question.
My neighbour doesn't like the animals coming in, even though it's my garden and we have to put up with his cats in our garden!
He's just bought a new puppy and doesn't like other animals nearby, so lights etc would attract too much hassle, last night the camera recorded him shooing (audibly) the Badgers from our garden.

Thanks Dale, keeps me looking forward to seeing what's on the SD card each morning. :)
Sadly the Foxes have stopped coming during the day, I suspect because of the increase in traffic and human activity so actual photography is now pretty much out of the question.
My neighbour doesn't like the animals coming in, even though it's my garden and we have to put up with his cats in our garden!
He's just bought a new puppy and doesn't like other animals nearby, so lights etc would attract too much hassle, last night the camera recorded him shooing (audibly) the Badgers from our garden.

Neighbours eh? We have fab neighbours apart from one property that we share a fence with, very rude people but that's another story. Just do your thing, like me. ;)

I love this thread btw, and your efforts have been commendable. :clap:

Apart from your neighbour trying to get the badgers out of your garden which is bad enough, does he think even if you did not feed them they would somehow disappear from your garden, and his?
I'd reckon most of the gardens (where the boundary isn't too restrictive) near you are visited fairly regularly by the badgers and foxes on their nightly round. We don't have badgers but a fox comes through the back garden about every other night. We put food out but it is inside the hedgehog box which the foxes have now given up trying to get into but they still wander through.

Dave

Apart from your neighbour trying to get the badgers out of your garden which is bad enough, does he think even if you did not feed them they would somehow disappear from your garden, and his?
I'd reckon most of the gardens (where the boundary isn't too restrictive) near you are visited fairly regularly by the badgers and foxes on their nightly round. We don't have badgers but a fox comes through the back garden about every other night. We put food out but it is inside the hedgehog box which the foxes have now given up trying to get into but they still wander through.

Dave
Thanks Dave, as far as I know the Badgers have only been in his garden once and that was before I was targetting them with food, they dug under the fence. I have since secured the fence (roofing tiles + heavy rocks) and now that I feed them they generally enter through the back hedge, feed and play and then leave the way they came. I am sure that if I didn't feed them they would make greater efforts to move through to adjoining gardens,
Of course, as you say, they may also have their own access through his back hedge.
I'll have to have words with him about his cats in our garden! :bat:

Bit of harmony last night between the smallest Fox cub and a couple of the Badger cubs. :)

@Stuart Philpott
What's the situation with your Foxes now Stu?
Activity in my garden is very variable, the Badgers certainly control the garden when they are here.
As for the Foxes, I have the youngest cub visiting regularly every night and stays the longest, she certainly seems to think of this as a substantial food stop. She is still very nervous and wary, has been chased off by dad a few times, although there has also been play between them.
I have a second cub. larger that visits most nights but rarely for very long, she is more confident and at ease.
Dad visits nightly but is very erratic, he rarely fills a 20 second clip before shooting off somewhere and re-appearing a bit later, a bit like a Nomad on 'speed'! All of them are looking in really good condition, dad almost overweight and I notice that he is regularly taking food to 'store' unlike all of the others.
So basically three Foxes still visiting the garden regulalry, together with up to five Badgers ... Ihave not seen six again so assume that either one has perished or they are confusing me by mixing it up. :)

Hey bud, sorry Roger been AWOL these last couple of weeks, mainly graft no fun pushing to get alot done ........... it's a freak i'm responding to this , simply your alert, I just came to browse for a mo afore sleep :) .......................I haven't seen or had a mo to read anything much above , my apologies, .:(

I think we are maybe still getting a here and there visit but I have physically seen nothing of any of them since me little mate cubbing's got clobbered. by her brother, which I know you know of, hmm not unexpected, but nonetheless, hard stuff !!

Roger I'm as certain as I can be without a sighting we are still being visited ahh the joys of a cam trap and 24/7 eyes on the ground......... it would give me details , they are still around. I'm really sure on that. I suspect it's mum now Roger. possibly just her and only her but I have nothing to confirm that. Looking back a couple of years with that hindsight I think this happened last year aswell. I'll learn more in the spring if I'm still standing:LOL:

I think i'll know PK again. I never had a dad ( dog fox) here Roger not one sighting, I know nothing of that story but I would have seen him I really did the hours I should have seen him surely?

Now ,was he simply too wary to come into a rural garden next to large dogs?did he get killed on a road?? a lambing pen?? I have no answers. But the absence is there does that mean if she lost her mate while rearing these she will loose her territory, come spring or does the matriach rule in fox land???

Mate I've always thought charlie has a territiory but patrols areas say a few nights on the trot then shifts slightly, find a more sustained food source visits become more regular. I suspect the adults are almost scouting now. that's why breif visits They (adults ) aren't feeding a family:, autumn is a time of plenty, before the hardships of winter. they'll be back on that more nomadic lifestyle of an oppurtunist still searching the next meal but not terribly hungry keeping tabs on ya patch if ya like:D

I wonder whether we will see more in dec, as they run up condition to court and mate maybe earlier. nov ??

Ha forever the optimist
the badgers are mixing it up,:)

Bud if I don't respond for a few please don't think me rude tis not that ,next week is set to be hard I can see it already which is never good;)

take care

Hey bud, sorry Roger been AWOL these last couple of weeks, mainly graft no fun pushing to get alot done ........... it's a freak i'm responding to this , simply your alert, I just came to browse for a mo afore sleep :) .......................I haven't seen or had a mo to read anything much above , my apologies, .:(

I think we are maybe still getting a here and there visit but I have physically seen nothing of any of them since me little mate cubbing's got clobbered. by her brother, which I know you know of, hmm not unexpected, but nonetheless, hard stuff !!

Roger I'm as certain as I can be without a sighting we are still being visited ahh the joys of a cam trap and 24/7 eyes on the ground......... it would give me details , they are still around. I'm really sure on that. I suspect it's mum now Roger. possibly just her and only her but I have nothing to confirm that. Looking back a couple of years with that hindsight I think this happened last year aswell. I'll learn more in the spring if I'm still standing:LOL:

I think i'll know PK again. I never had a dad ( dog fox) here Roger not one sighting, I know nothing of that story but I would have seen him I really did the hours I should have seen him surely?

Now ,was he simply too wary to come into a rural garden next to large dogs?did he get killed on a road?? a lambing pen?? I have no answers. But the absence is there does that mean if she lost her mate while rearing these she will loose her territory, come spring or does the matriach rule in fox land???

Mate I've always thought charlie has a territiory but patrols areas say a few nights on the trot then shifts slightly, find a more sustained food source visits become more regular. I suspect the adults are almost scouting now. that's why breif visits They (adults ) aren't feeding a family:, autumn is a time of plenty, before the hardships of winter. they'll be back on that more nomadic lifestyle of an oppurtunist still searching the next meal but not terribly hungry keeping tabs on ya patch if ya like:D

I wonder whether we will see more in dec, as they run up condition to court and mate maybe earlier. nov ??

Ha forever the optimist
the badgers are mixing it up,:)

Bud if I don't respond for a few please don't think me rude tis not that ,next week is set to be hard I can see it already which is never good;)

take care
Take care Stu, don't burn out!

Five of the six Badgers visited last night, I think dad was the one missing so tht would confirm that the whole family of six are okay as he was seen in the garden yesterday. :)

However the Holly bush is begining to lose shape! :LOL:

Great videos again, gramps, especially the badger family.

Dave

Back