Not in my back yard ... surely? *We have EVEN MORE cubs!*

Snap traps they just seemed to avoid ... I put them in a wire cage firmly fixed to the ground and surrounded by roofing tiles and large stones in order to protect the Foxes & Badgers. I think half the problem was that mice would get in and take the bait but not trigger the trap due to them being much lighter (though it did get a Wood Mouse once, which was larger).
Really the snap traps only work if you put them in a “tunnel” that the rats use (illegal to put Fenn traps anywhere else I think) but Fenn traps are very effective properly deployed. Much the same applies to poison & live traps and once you’ve caught one in a live trap the others will tend to avoid it, plus you have the problem of killing them.

In your case I think shooting is the answer, very selective :).

Well the little one turned up last night, technically this morning as it was 0130. I was sat in my driveway about 15ft max from her & have never ever needed to shoot at 16000 iso... so the noise is something I'll need to look into.. LOL
She followed our dog walk again & was waiting at the end of my drive after I put the dogs in the house.

Fox-1 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Fox-2 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Fox-4 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Well the little one turned up last night, technically this morning as it was 0130. I was sat in my driveway about 15ft max from her & have never ever needed to shoot at 16000 iso... so the noise is something I'll need to look into.. LOL
She followed our dog walk again & was waiting at the end of my drive after I put the dogs in the house.

Fox-1 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Fox-2 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Fox-4 by Pete Smith, on Flickr
She looks in good condition, a little food might encourage her more, if that's what you want to do :)

Is the young Vixen becoming bolder?
Here she stands-off from her father, who has been chasing her off, in order to keep feeding.

Late last night it was raining really heavily, and so during a slow down took the dogs out just as we were heading back she appeared & followed us back to my house... Looked absolutely drowned lol... No way was I taking a picture but was very happy to see her.

Sorry for the thread hijack !!!

Tonight she was waiting for me for the night time break. My 2 dogs are still a little curious of her ... but she keeps a respectful 10ft behind us as we walk around the block - LOL.

Fox-5 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Fox-6 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Ill break out the 85mm 1.4 for tomorrow - if she turns up ....

so far 14 out of 16 nights she has followed us...

Sorry for the thread hijack !!!

Tonight she was waiting for me for the night time break. My 2 dogs are still a little curious of her ... but she keeps a respectful 10ft behind us as we walk around the block - LOL.

Fox-5 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Fox-6 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Ill break out the 85mm 1.4 for tomorrow - if she turns up ....

so far 14 out of 16 nights she has followed us...
She obviously likes you :LOL:
Likely, having been turfed out by her parents she likes the company. :)

The young Vixen gains another victory as she stands her ground and the parent relents and allows her to remain and feed.

Agree with Roger, probably wants the friendship of your dogs ? I think it's really nice.

Last edited:
My 2 dogs will likely eat her... a Northern Inuit (Wolf) & a trained working GSD (40 & 36kg)...

However they are really curious about her..

My 2 dogs will likely eat her... a Northern Inuit (Wolf) & a trained working GSD (40 & 36kg)...

However they are really curious about her..
They would have to catch her first ... they are very wily, always one step ahead of the Badgers in my garden. :LOL:

buddy watch autumn watch BBC1 now !!

Watched it, Stu. Wonderful,as ever.

Here's the Live webcam of the seals on the Isle of May ..with sound which is wonderful to hear them 'talking' Really active,swimming right now. This cam starts at 11.00am. I have things to do but I'm transfixed..the 'things' can wait a while.. :LOL:

The nightime (infrared) cameras(s) is static but this one is obviously manned following particular seals. Probably why it isn't live until 11.00am. Never mind the 1.00pm news..I'll have my lunch watching this..:)

Last edited:
Hey both........Roger I wanted you to see the colour forms (brock ) aren't they superb!!

John thanks for that link i'll find that. ,I posted to roger got through brock and fell asleep never saw seals :( .so embarasing. I can't even get to nine pm without me face in me dinner.

Sorry slow in response lads,tough gig yesterday, came in late............ tried to post but I was writing backwards eventually gave up.

Roger,it's a shame I didn't get out wanted, last night................

First up I agree completely with Richard ,but with a huge caviat,you really develop a skill set before you point a rifle at a beastie,or very simply you have the same capacity for suffering as any other means of control. you are expert or leave alone and practice until you are.

No inbetweens....lol this is hard I'm defending rats:runaway: I seriously don't like them

. Buddy in my extremely humble opinion you don't need to worry on killing rats,spare you self this mate :)

Lol , half a fox family and a sack full of badgers, if I was a rat there is no way I'd shack up in you garden, no offence ......... but .no thanks sod that:LOL: !!! I'd get eaten see vid above^^^^^^^^^^^^^ they will visit scent of food I guess and of course the wet this time of year moves them

Lads rats carry disease, but so do fox and badger and mice and deer

I can't see rat ever building in number Roger not with your mates in residence .

Ha a nugget of wisdom from an old boy;)............you be putting them sox outside those trousers my lad. Don't want the buggers in there do ya !!

Sorry for waffling off to watching multi coloured brock

Mr C makes some lovely frames huh !!

Lol..Has a rat ever run any faster ? :LOL:

It (they) will be eating in the rain for a few nights,Roger and on Saturday very heavy rain with gales. Force 8 through the Bristol channel causing damage, especially to trees.

I can't see rat ever building in number Roger not with your mates in residence .

I hope not Stu ... my heart sinks when I see them back, means I have to take much more care with the food.
I like to spread it about so that there is no risk of fighting over food in a restricted area but I don't feel free to do that knowing the rats are about. :(

Well more rat activity than Foxes and Badgers last night grrr!
I stopped the spread of food completely and just put it in the bowl, but of course that didn't deter them at all.
They seemed to come from around the blackberry bush, so the gardener is here now removing it back to the roots until next year.

What was of more concern was the state of the dog Fox later during the night.
He appears and chases a rat but then returns later in the night looking decidedly weird, his tail seems to have been stripped and he's lost fur to a section of his back, I was very worried for his wellbeing until I saw him shake himself at the end of the clip.
I do hope that he hasn't done anything serious, I can only suspect a run in with a vehicle. :(

Well more rat activity than Foxes and Badgers last night grrr!
I stopped the spread of food completely and just put it in the bowl, but of course that didn't deter them at all.
They seemed to come from around the blackberry bush, so the gardener is here now removing it back to the roots until next year.

What was of more concern was the state of the dog Fox later during the night.
He appears and chases a rat but then returns later in the night looking decidedly weird, his tail seems to have been stripped and he's lost fur to a section of his back, I was very worried for his wellbeing until I saw him shake himself at the end of the clip.
I do hope that he hasn't done anything serious, I can only suspect a run in with a vehicle. :(

At least he's not limping, which is probably a good sign. Hey, perhaps that rat was a martial arts expert?

Well its been an interesting week here, almost every night the little girl has been like this as we take the dogs out...

Fox-24 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

She is cautious around my wife but will happily come within one meter of me...

I tried my 85mm 1.4 lens as taking pics at 16000 ISO really sucks.... but have gone back to the 70-200 vr2 as its more useful so may look at getting some lights out...

Twice, we had another friend lol turn up but she is a lot more cautious.

Fox-16 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Heres a few more.

Fox-15 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Fox-22 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Fox-30 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Following us along the road..

Fox-36 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

About 5 ft from me..

Fox-38 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Ignoring me but very watchful of my wife at the front door..

Fox-43 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

No sign of the male Fox last night, which is rather concerning as it did appear that he had been injured.
On the plus side the neighbour's cat was able to do what the Foxes so far don't seem able to accomplish!

No sign of the male Fox last night, which is rather concerning as it did appear that he had been injured.
On the plus side the neighbour's cat was able to do what the Foxes so far don't seem able to accomplish!

Not often you see that! The rat doesn’t sound very happy :).

Not often you see that! The rat doesn’t sound very happy :).
Some years ago I was outside of a door on a callout near the old mortuary in the centre of Bristol (Lakota Club) when I heard a 'squeak' and saw the biggest rat I have ever seen being chased straight toward me by a ginger tom!
Fortunately the tom caught it just before it reached me and to my amazement jumped onto and over a 6 foot wall with it in its mouth, a feat of strength if ever I saw one!

(Hope the neighbours don't have a cat-flap!!!).

Last edited:
Some years ago I was outside of a door on a callout near the old mortuary in the centre of Bristol (Lakota Club) when I heard a 'squeak' and saw the biggest rat I have ever seen being chased straight toward me by a ginger tom!
Fortunately the tom caught it just before it reached me and to my amazement jumped onto and over a 6 foot wall with it in its mouth, a feat of strength if ever I saw one!

(Hope the neighbours don't have a cat-flap!!!).
I know cats are very effective rat catchers though I suspect they are mostly young ones, cats don’t seem to have big enough jaws to quickly kill a large rat, as in this case. Rufus, my late terrier, used to just grab them across the body briefly and then just drop them and they were dead, no shaking etc like most seem to do, great technique. Not that we went ratting, just the odd ones he came across,

I know cats are very effective rat catchers though I suspect they are mostly young ones, cats don’t seem to have big enough jaws to quickly kill a large rat, as in this case. Rufus, my late terrier, used to just grab them across the body briefly and then just drop them and they were dead, no shaking etc like most seem to do, great technique. Not that we went ratting, just the odd ones he came across,
I think the old 'farm ratters' used to have Jack Russell terriers and few rats remained.

I think the old 'farm ratters' used to have Jack Russell terriers and few rats remained.
People still do ratting but not I think in large enough numbers to be effective, I guess the introduction of Warfarin etc made it easier. In any case that only really works round farm buildings, grain stores etc, and of course the numbers still build up. I know of an old stone farm house (no longer a farm proper) where the rats got plenty of attention from terriers, cats, traps (not poison) but they were still numerous enough in the hollows in the walls to destroy all the wiring. It’s where my Fell Terrier Rufus was bred & born :).

Very little action last night, particularly no Badgers ... just the Vixen (mum) and the young Vixen, who was even more nervous than usual. She reacts badly to any wind noises or other sounds and last night was very windy.

There is a council-owned set of bungalows behind us and the trees and shrubs to our rear belong to them ... for the past week workmen have been working their way along cutting it all down in height. They reached us yesterday and on checking this morning they had completely blocked the Badger trail with stuff they had cut down! :bat:
Just finished getting it cleared, so hopefully it won't have put the Badgers off and they will be back tonight.

Picked up a job lot of wildlife cameras off eBay last week, four for £27 and marked as "spares or repair" ... two Bushnell Trophy, a Spypoint and an Annke. I've got three of them working, the two Bushnells work fine and the Annke takes photos whenever it's switched on (there is a remote control to programme it but it didn't come in the sale so I can't change settings), the Spypoint switches on and programmes but doesn't record anything.
Well happy though for £27 :)

Well after yesterday's removal of the tree/hedge felling debris the Badger was back again last night. :clap:

However the really good news is that the male Fox that I thought had been injured earlier was back with his mate and showed no signs of injury so the one that showed up with a shredded tail and loss of fur to its back was obviously a 'stranger' (not seen it since either).

Looks like both sexes have the odd behaviour of 'marking' food! :oops: :$

(Forgive the Blackpool illuminations, just trialling the new (old) cameras in different locations.)

Last edited:
Looks like both sexes have the odd behaviour of 'marking' food!
Spices bland food up a bit, maybe you should try it :) :exit:

Having seen the rats last week and the cat getting one, I decided to put a rat trap under the hedge where they moved to and blocked access to the trap with large stones. Checked a few mornings after with no result, then went out one morning and found the large stones pulled out and no sign of the trap ... horror, was it on a Badger's nose or paw! :eek:

Checked the video and glad to see there were no casualties other than what appeared to be a Wood Mouse, the Badger had turfed it out and abandoned it on the lawn and a Fox later picked it up by the mouse and carried it off ... nicked my rat trap!
Went out this morning and saw the trap on the lawn, the video showed that the Fox brought it back again at 1am, minus the mouse! :LOL:

Having seen the rats last week and the cat getting one, I decided to put a rat trap under the hedge where they moved to and blocked access to the trap with large stones. Checked a few mornings after with no result, then went out one morning and found the large stones pulled out and no sign of the trap ... horror, was it on a Badger's nose or paw! :eek:

Checked the video and glad to see there were no casualties other than what appeared to be a Wood Mouse, the Badger had turfed it out and abandoned it on the lawn and a Fox later picked it up by the mouse and carried it off ... nicked my rat trap!
Went out this morning and saw the trap on the lawn, the video showed that the Fox brought it back again at 1am, minus the mouse! :LOL:
Best not to set it again. (y)

The fox obviously wants you to set it again :).

....they hardly bat an eyelid at the fireworks, they seem very chilled.

....they hardly bat an eyelid at the fireworks, they seem very chilled.
One of the youngsters is very edgy normally, jumping at every sound ... looks like her companion gave her confidence :)

Well the young fox has entertained me greatly for the last 3 weeks - even brought her dad & sister around !!
She is exceptionally comfortable sitting outside my front door... so I have decided to try flash tonight.. - after all it has to be better than 16k ISO !

Fox Flash-2 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Enjoying a piece of cheese.
Fox Flash-5 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Fox Flash-8 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Nothing like a success.. lol. Very, very happy with her. At one point she sat down in front of me (2ish ft-) with her back to me to just watch the cars go by.
Wasn't worried by the flash at all.

Back