Not in my back yard ... surely? *We have EVEN MORE cubs!*

I love that^^^^^ , food comes wrapped in unnecessary plastic red and white things and a fox, they utterly would bite the hand that feeds them +

ha no danger of burn out Roger that happened eons back :) Make hay while the sun shines I guess buddy nowt wrong with graft I'm being put upon but what's knew? I feel i'll be locked in again soon all the signs are there. sadly and incredibly scarily

Lol told ya they (brock) were all there . :)

Mate the vids are enchanting really so mustelids behave so similar in so many ways across the species, they are hilarious the grooming fat thing bottom right has us in sitches

you are scattering food now??

TFS

stu

I love that^^^^^ , food comes wrapped in unnecessary plastic red and white things and a fox, they utterly would bite the hand that feeds them +

ha no danger of burn out Roger that happened eons back :) Make hay while the sun shines I guess buddy nowt wrong with graft I'm being put upon but what's knew? I feel i'll be locked in again soon all the signs are there. sadly and incredibly scarily

Lol told ya they (brock) were all there . :)

Mate the vids are enchanting really so mustelids behave so similar in so many ways across the species, they are hilarious the grooming fat thing bottom right has us in sitches

you are scattering food now??

TFS

stu

Hi Stu, yes it does look like freedom is rapidly coming to an end again soon doesn't it. :(
Fatty rolling over and scratching his tum had me laughing too, they are very laid back, literally and metaphorically.
I scatter peanuts mixed with a few sunflower hearts on the grass, put some Fox/Badger dried food in the bowl and on the wall and a few biscuits or small fatballs in the Holly bush ... adds variety. :)

Very entertaining,Roger.I suppose the badger is thinking..'What's he trying to get?" :LOL:

Very entertaining,Roger.I suppose the badger is thinking..'What's he trying to get?" :LOL:

Indeed John ... they seem to love the challenge of taking food from the bush and as can be seen in the next video are always willing to try a different approach. The youngest cub decides to approach from the rear but notice his 'demeanour' when he gets to the top and realises that the holly bush is rather hollow in the middle where I cut the top off earlier in the year, (unfortunately the 'critical moment of taking the biscuit came at the end of the 20 sec clip so missed that).

Last edited:
Heavy rain and thick mist last night reduced the activity to 19 video clips.
The young Vixen still managed to get her biscuit but for the first time ever one of the biscuits remained in the bush in the morning.
(Spot the mice in the wall too!).

Last edited:
The young Vixen is getting more able to pick off the biscuits.
Apologies for the 'gallows' in the background I hadn't spotted that the gardener had moved it! :)

Last edited:
The young Vixen is getting more able to pick off the biscuits.
Apologies for the 'gallows' in the background I hadn't spotted that the gardener had moved it! :)

There's also what appears to be a long-eared bat flying past (top right) at 0.30. :)

There's also what appears to be a long-eared bat flying past (top right) at 0.30. :)

Well spotted that man!
We've had a Pipistrelle in the yard once which was apparently dehydrated according to the local RSPCA center we took it to.

OT but relevant. I’ve just received an offer of a free pair of BC70 binoculars from Apeman as a valued customer (I returned the camera to Amazon) in return for a 5 star review-- though they say you can still point out disadvantages etc as long as it’s 5 star! Shan’t be accepting :) but it’s a heads up.

OT but relevant. I’ve just received an offer of a free pair of BC70 binoculars from Apeman as a valued customer (I returned the camera to Amazon) in return for a 5 star review-- though they say you can still point out disadvantages etc as long as it’s 5 star! Shan’t be accepting :) but it’s a heads up.

Yeah I got that too and reported it to Amazon as "buying reviews" - they said their internal team would sort it but I doubt that'll have any effect, even if it happens.

Quoting you, Roger re the badger. Sept 21st.
However the Holly bush is begining to lose shape! :LOL:

Sept 3rd Post #646
The badgers will probably discover this in due course, then Gramps will need a new holly bush! :LOL:

The question is...how long will it take ?? :LOL:

Quoting you, Roger re the badger. Sept 21st.
However the Holly bush is begining to lose shape! :LOL:

Sept 3rd Post #646

The question is...how long will it take ?? :LOL:

You are right John, if the little Vixen gets the biscuits then I'm okay but if the Badgers get them I'm sunk ... or rather the Holly bush is. :LOL:

I expect they're grumpy because of the incessant rain and unfortunately, for them worse to come tomorrow. It was nice to see that the badger didn't want to harm the fox..just a nip at its tail to give it the message.

It's not looking atall good for your holly bush,Roger. Lol. That's the first time I've seen one of the foxes climb on top.

I expect they're grumpy because of the incessant rain and unfortunately, for them worse to come tomorrow. It was nice to see that the badger didn't want to harm the fox..just a nip at its tail to give it the message.

It's not looking atall good for your holly bush,Roger. Lol. That's the first time I've seen one of the foxes climb on top.
Yes pretty wet tomorrow John.
The little Vixen did gingerly get up onto the bush a few nights ago but with nothing like the confidence of her dad. :LOL:

She is incredibly nervous, with the wind and rain noises she is constantly on edge, jittery at everything.
I previously though that she might be nervous of the Badgers but clearly she is happy to feed in close proximity to them and only retreats on initially seeing them.
From last night it seems that her fear comes from her parents ... there were several momentary sights of her being chased from the garden by one or the other of them.
She is the only youngster who returns to the garden now but she seems to learn ... for a few nights the Badgers always beat her to the food and there were slim pickings for her to find but now she is the first to arrive and is able to feed, albeit nervously for a while undisturbed.

I didn't know it was National Badger Day or that there was such a day dedicated to them.

I had no idea they can live to a 100.

The one having a scratch made me laugh. It's home from home for them now.

Brian May on the TB issue and phasing out the cull. https://www.shropshirestar.com/news...omes-brave-decision-to-phase-out-badger-cull/

I didn't know it was National Badger Day or that there was such a day dedicated to them.

I had no idea they can live to a 100.
The setts can be 100 years, not the badgers!

One of the comments: “I love their eyes, so gentle & soulful“ :banghead::banghead::banghead:

The setts can be 100 years, not the badgers!

One of the comments: “I love their eyes, so gentle & soulful“ :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I've been wondering, since you posted that, Richard..how on earth did I misread that ? The mind boggles.

I've been wondering, since you posted that, Richard..how on earth did I misread that ? The mind boggles.
Don’t boggle too much! There are so many surprising facts about animals that I think we are ‘primed’ to accept new ones :).

She is incredibly nervous, with the wind and rain noises she is constantly on edge, jittery at everything.
I previously though that she might be nervous of the Badgers but clearly she is happy to feed in close proximity to them and only retreats on initially seeing them.
From last night it seems that her fear comes from her parents ... there were several momentary sights of her being chased from the garden by one or the other of them.

Yes, it is a pine marten. In NW Scotland they are fairly common, though not seen that much - unless food(and/or accommodation) is provided. Then seeing them is reasonably easy(compared to in the wild - I've seen two proper wild pine martens in about 17 years).

We think this is one of the young from a litter last year that was raised in the attic of a house a few doors away.

Dave

Back