Not in my back yard ... surely? *We have EVEN MORE cubs!*

The Fox pair seem to have completed their moult and are now looking in good condition, the Vixen in particular is almost unrecognisable from her condition earlier after the cubs first appeared. The little Vixen cub, the 'runt' of the litter still keeps coming every day but I am starting to see the pair spending a bit more time together, though regularly squabbling.
All activity is now more fragmented with the most taking place between 7:30pm & 10pm, thereafter a bit around 2am & 4 am.

Last edited:
If you could smell a polecat you'd probably think there was a lot of 'P' in there!

Meh................. there's a sweetness too although that might be open to debate ?:LOL: Seriously dependent on how p***ed off Mr Polecat is though:DI'd guess girls smell nicer?

David that roe/ marten vid is priceless. I know nowt of martens........................ but the roe................ that perpetual state of torment: curious VS fear , had me in stitches. to me it's what roe are, Bonkers I adore them for it, but bonkers all the same:)

roger I'll post to you elsewhere, ha ha to funny buddy.............., i'm trying to track your alert I saw briefly yesterday I'm meant to be commenting on a young red deer image, aren't I;)

hey ho onwards an..............

Meh................. there's a sweetness too although that might be open to debate ?:LOL: Seriously dependent on how p***ed off Mr Polecat is though:DI'd guess girls smell nicer?

David that roe/ marten vid is priceless. I know nowt of martens........................ but the roe................ that perpetual state of torment: curious VS fear , had me in stitches. to me it's what roe are, Bonkers I adore them for it, but bonkers all the same:)

roger I'll post to you elsewhere, ha ha to funny buddy.............., i'm trying to track your alert I saw briefly yesterday I'm meant to be commenting on a young red deer image, aren't I;)

hey ho onwards an..............

Thanks Stu. Trail camera videos are nearly always good to view, though only sometimes are they as entertaining as that encounter between the roe deer and the pine marten.

I agree about roe deer. It seems their senses are turned up to 11 and always ready to leave at speed at the smallest of sounds.

Dave

The Vixen calls...

@Stuart Philpott @Lez325 @Tringa @Mr Badger
I always knew that the Vixen calls like this during the breeding season, i.e. from around January, so it is too soon for that.
However I read that she will also do it to exercise her authority over a specific piece of territory and last night one of the neighbour's cats was very active in the garden, so I am wondering if her posture and calling was to 'warn' the cat ... or was it something else?

Last edited:
Sounds like a territorial call to me Roger, I very much doubt she would warn off a Cat she may be telling other Vixens' its my territory clear off - ( A Cat is potential meal after all - being the size of a Rabbit ) :)

And not a mating call as it's far too early in the season buddy - that's my take on it

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a territorial call to me Roger, I very much doubt she would warn off a Cat she may be telling other Vixens' its my territory clear off - ( A Cat is potential meal after all - being the size of a Rabbit ) :)

And not a mating call as it's far too early in the season buddy - that's my take on it

Les :)
Thanks Les ... here are the preceeding two video clips...

Roger I sort of agree with Leslie but stress my lack of charlie nouce :D Buddy she's marking territory I know cat can be carried to feed cubs, I've seen that ,but I can't tell you how the cat your vixen smells influences what comes next:)

Mate this is interesting though, now is this co incidence??

My lady had a tough night last, up in the long hours. She hears the vixen calling LMAO and the bloody terrier next door shouting back and it goes on a while

So in answer to your Q a while back............................... yes someone is still here and to answer further, well it's sort of uncanny to know of two,possible different species interactions prevoking a similar sound response with in days or each other.

I think she's doing many things Roger,she's saying to everything this is me I'm here, THIS IS MY patch.......... and I half wonder if that's pre-emptive to breeding ie checking out the local talent lads wise:LOL: But Roger no science just thoughts, you need Richard's opinion too buddy he's an eye for dog behaviour;)

Isn't it strange to have such co incidence time wise, I played your video to shaz last night ,mate sadly she's up poorly but she hear's essentially the same sounds in your video , ha with a Russel intervening:) She saw nothing though !!

Roger I have no idea if red fox are monogamous? Mate are you aware of the dog fox's sort of "ow ow ow owww" bark the answer you'll hear later to the vixen's scream come jan time. if not worth a google

Buddy eons ago maybe 30years I bumbled into a pair of fox just about to mate, The sounds were like nothing I've heard before or since,almost pea fowl like. They are clever intelligent animals. there's a depth to how they communicate I don't understand, it's complex.!!:cool:

So no real help mate but something to ponder,

ha that's wildlife

Roger I sort of agree with Leslie but stress my lack of charlie nouce :D Buddy she's marking territory I know cat can be carried to feed cubs, I've seen that ,but I can't tell you how the cat your vixen smells influences what comes next:)

Mate this is interesting though, now is this co incidence??

My lady had a tough night last, up in the long hours. She hears the vixen calling LMAO and the bloody terrier next door shouting back and it goes on a while

So in answer to your Q a while back............................... yes someone is still here and to answer further, well it's sort of uncanny to know of two,possible different species interactions prevoking a similar sound response with in days or each other.

I think she's doing many things Roger,she's saying to everything this is me I'm here, THIS IS MY patch.......... and I half wonder if that's pre-emptive to breeding ie checking out the local talent lads wise:LOL: But Roger no science just thoughts, you need Richard's opinion too buddy he's an eye for dog behaviour;)

Isn't it strange to have such co incidence time wise, I played your video to shaz last night ,mate sadly she's up poorly but she hear's essentially the same sounds in your video , ha with a Russel intervening:) She saw nothing though !!

Roger I have no idea if red fox are monogamous? Mate are you aware of the dog fox's sort of "ow ow ow owww" bark the answer you'll hear later to the vixen's scream come jan time. if not worth a google

Buddy eons ago maybe 30years I bumbled into a pair of fox just about to mate, The sounds were like nothing I've heard before or since,almost pea fowl like. They are clever intelligent animals. there's a depth to how they communicate I don't understand, it's complex.!!:cool:

So no real help mate but something to ponder,

ha that's wildlife
Cheers Stu ... fascinating every night here! :)

LESLIE ???? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
works so well with tele ( caster) (y) oh I know tiny things tiny minds :LOL:

sorted "Lesile and da tele", it's almost a really bad band name........... ahh forgive me it just tickled me late last night.....................

hangs head in shame.

works so well with tele ( caster) (y)

Not to mention the Hammond organ, a staple sound of the 60s British blues boom.

(hopefully I've edited the link so you have to click on it to view, so it doesn't derail the thread, but it's a good listen for anyone who likes 60s blues rock... if so, turn it up loud and enjoy that Hammond! (y)) :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_AGc_fTVvA

Last edited:
It’s nice to see them fairly at ease with each other,Roger.

At 8.10 this morning I looked out of the front room window just in time to see a young,healthy fox trot across the road with a dead squirrel hanging from its mouth. It went onto the 10m -wide grass verge opposite and into the bushes/trees alongside the stream . No houses opposite. I went across there with my 100-400 but it was nowhere to be seen so I assume it probably went back to its den.

We have a number of squirrels bringing conkers into our gardens and burying them so as the fox came from one of the neighbour’s houses I assume it’s one of those visiting squirrels. They run the gauntlet of crossing the road,although a fairly quiet one and now foxes. I had to Google to see if they do eat squirrels if only to make sure it was a squirrel it had and they do. Grey back- end,grey fluffy tail so, yes,definitely a squirrel.

It’s nice to see them fairly at ease with each other,Roger.

At 8.10 this morning I looked out of the front room window just in time to see a young,healthy fox trot across the road with a dead squirrel hanging from its mouth. It went onto the 10m -wide grass verge opposite and into the bushes/trees alongside the stream . No houses opposite. I went across there with my 100-400 but it was nowhere to be seen so I assume it probably went back to its den.

We have a number of squirrels bringing conkers into our gardens and burying them so as the fox came from one of the neighbour’s houses I assume it’s one of those visiting squirrels. They run the gauntlet of crossing the road,although a fairly quiet one and now foxes. I had to Google to see if they do eat squirrels if only to make sure it was a squirrel it had and they do. Grey back- end,grey fluffy tail so, yes,definitely a squirrel.

Hi John, I'm sure that a Fox will take a Squirrel so not surprised you saw that if the Squirrels are visiting regularly.
Talking of "run the gauntlet", our mice are getting more brave (or foolish) in coming away from the protection of the Holly bush and wall and dropping down onto the grass ... in this clip in the presence of two Badgers and the Fox cub!

(Quite small in the background so may need to view full screen).

Hi John, I'm sure that a Fox will take a Squirrel

They certainly do! Saw one go over our opposite neighbour's back gate with one in its mouth.

They certainly do! Saw one go over our opposite neighbour's back gate with one in its mouth.

I'll keep an eye out,then as we have quite a lot of squirrels here. I thought it was acorns and hazelnuts that they ate/horded but their burying conkers in our garden. There's a couple of large conker trees close by.

I'll keep an eye out,then as we have quite a lot of squirrels here. I thought it was acorns and hazelnuts that they ate/horded but their burying conkers in our garden. There's a couple of large conker trees close by.
I’ve two two conker trees in the garden and squirrels are burying them all the time — bloody nuisance actually :(.

I’ve two two conker trees in the garden and squirrels are burying them all the time — bloody nuisance actually :(.

Yes, they are a nuisance. I found a decaying conker on the lawn a couple of days ago and binned it. I didn't want the lawn mower blade to hit it and the next day the squirrel, which must have brought it in ,was going round in circles looking for it. It's amazing how they run up the boundary fencing then run along it..really fast.They also eat the bird seed and crunched up fat balls I leave on the ground by a thorny berberis bush for the birds. It gives them a chance to save their lives from any visiting sparrow hawk which, as I've seen on a few occasions, can't get into it. It's 4' wide and 8' high.

Yes, they are a nuisance. I found a decaying conker on the lawn a couple of days ago and binned it. I didn't want the lawn mower blade to hit it and the next day the squirrel, which must have brought it in ,was going round in circles looking for it. It's amazing how they run up the boundary fencing then run along it..really fast.They also eat the bird seed and crunched up fat balls I leave on the ground by a thorny berberis bush for the birds. It gives them a chance to save their lives from any visiting sparrow hawk which, as I've seen on a few occasions, can't get into it. It's 4' wide and 8' high.
I don’t mind them visiting, it’s when the conkers they’ve not eaten start sprouting and you miss them till they get a fair size, though to be honest they’re not as bad as the Wild Cherry seedlings — neighbour’s tree overhangs my garden, and they take hold really quickly :(.

Last edited:
If I were a fox and some lovely guy was giving me some grub,........................ I'd save a nice warn mouse for a wiinter's day !!

Mouse is not brave not foolish..........., just banking for winter,so is everyone else ;)

Rich, sycamore seedlings :banghead: Oh ok lets go there we are meant to be a wood the whole of the UK.................... we both know this.................... mum nature will try every crevice:LOL:

I mind grey squiggle visiting, not much else,got a hazel and walnut hedge for when the red come back tough:whistle:

If I were a fox and some lovely guy was giving me some grub,........................ I'd save a nice warn mouse for a wiinter's day !!

Mouse is not brave not foolish..........., just banking for winter,so is everyone else ;)

Rich, sycamore seedlings :banghead: Oh ok lets go there we are meant to be a wood the whole of the UK.................... we both know this.................... mum nature will try every crevice:LOL:

I mind grey squiggle visiting, not much else,got a hazel and walnut hedge for when the red come back tough:whistle:
Oh, sycamores, I have a huge one in the back garden. Also two mature Lime trees in the front besides the Chestnuts. Used to have Elms too :(. Anything I turn over has piles of nibbled cherry stones from the mice and under the lawnmower is favourite as the terrier can’t get them there :).In the front garden the mice find it convenient to take the lime seeds up under the bonnet of my car if it’s parked there :( but also :).

Before I let the dog out at night I turn the tap on in the sink to encourage the mice to leave the drain otherwise she destroys my drain leaf-guard to get at them (covered in heavy stones too :).

Oh, sycamores, I have a huge one in the back garden. Also two mature Lime trees in the front besides the Chestnuts. Used to have Elms too :(. Anything I turn over has piles of nibbled cherry stones from the mice and under the lawnmower is favourite as the terrier can’t get them there :).In the front garden the mice find it convenient to take the lime seeds up under the bonnet of my car if it’s parked there :( but also :).

Before I let the dog out at night I turn the tap on in the sink to encourage the mice to leave the drain otherwise she destroys my drain leaf-guard to get at them (covered in heavy stones too :).

I think it's time you put up some notices, Richard...forbidding entry :D

Sorry to read that you lost the elms..Dutch elm disease,I assume. They're lovely, graceful trees and a big loss to the country. I had a quick read on it.

I think it's time you put up some notices, Richard...forbidding entry :D

Sorry to read that you lost the elms..Dutch elm disease,I assume. They're lovely, graceful trees and a big loss to the country. I had a quick read on it.
Yes, I think elms were the trees of my childhood and so typical in hedgerows. I had a striking one that was last to go — straight up slender trunk. Had suckers for years but none lasted. Round here there are quite a few dotted about, all small & branching, but flowering, I’ve spread the seeds around on my dog walks in the hope of doing some good :(.

To both of ya..............A bit of hope, well ya know a tiny bit :) I also adore elm...............I think it's over Pershore way, there is a mature Elm still standing, I'm sure they were taking cuttings and trying to root them maybe trying seed to , The hope was somehow the tree had some form of natural immunity to D.E.D. I've no idea where I come across these things:LOL:,so can't backtrack to check. I'm sure the real hope was in those clones ( cuttings)

sorry I'm a bit vague guys. Rich sadly I can't really remember much of mature Elm I wish I could:( . But I'm very aware of the wood, lumber............it's a stunning timber to work with, there's a slab of it on my mantle piece above the wood burner. Lol it's so hard !!

John it's got this incredible interlocking grain,which makes the timber incredibly strong..... it doesn't want to split,I doubt me all the time but I think you'll find I'm right in saying, it's the go to wood for the hub of old spoke wooden wheels...ie " cartwheels"

We have a fair bit in hedges but as you say Rich, they never make anything. Same with the stand not too far from my house which has a set located in it.

It's really wonderful that this tree is still here in some form,to me. I desparately morn what we have lost. But it's damn remarkable that the species is still here,when one considers they hardly ever reach anything like maturity before dutch elm disease steps in... and yet still they hang on

I really wonder if this tree given time will beat the disease,lol things happen slow in "tree land",always hope lads:) I wont see it ,but that hope is there !!

To both of ya..............A bit of hope, well ya know a tiny bit :) I also adore elm...............I think it's over Pershore way, there is a mature Elm still standing, I'm sure they were taking cuttings and trying to root them maybe trying seed to , The hope was somehow the tree had some form of natural immunity to D.E.D. I've no idea where I come across these things:LOL:,so can't backtrack to check. I'm sure the real hope was in those clones ( cuttings)

sorry I'm a bit vague guys. Rich sadly I can't really remember much of mature Elm I wish I could:( . But I'm very aware of the wood, lumber............it's a stunning timber to work with, there's a slab of it on my mantle piece above the wood burner. Lol it's so hard !!

John it's got this incredible interlocking grain,which makes the timber incredibly strong..... it doesn't want to split,I doubt me all the time but I think you'll find I'm right in saying, it's the go to wood for the hub of old spoke wooden wheels...ie " cartwheels"

We have a fair bit in hedges but as you say Rich, they never make anything. Same with the stand not too far from my house which has a set located in it.

It's really wonderful that this tree is still here in some form,to me. I desparately morn what we have lost. But it's damn remarkable that the species is still here,when one considers they hardly ever reach anything like maturity before dutch elm disease steps in... and yet still they hang on

I really wonder if this tree given time will beat the disease,lol things happen slow in "tree land",always hope lads:) I wont see it ,but that hope is there !!
There are still some about mainly in Brighton I think, 17000 of them;

And there is a group growing resistant elms I believe though with what success I’m not sure.

Edit, forgot to say there are plenty of English Elms in ... Australia, particularly Melbourne I think. They don’t (yet) have the disease and possibly never will.

Last edited:
you teach me so much kiddo thank you lol ............kiddo:LOL: sorry mate I'm as PC as a barge pole !!

Hmm English Elm doing well where they shouldn't be........ as far away from here as they can get. and still be on our planet..............

ahh mate what a god damn awful mess we have made, :(

Went out this morning to find the dry stone wall suffered some demolition during the night!
Vandal Badger at work :LOL:

I you think that's bad, just wait until you get a wasps' nest in there... a scene of destruction predicted when they find it and dig it out! ;)

I you think that's bad, just wait until you get a wasps' nest in there... a scene of destruction predicted when they find it and dig it out! ;)
I think they already found remnants of one in the ground just behind the wall, if I didn't keep filling it in we would lose the gardner on one of his visits! :LOL:

Roger...I recall Mr B saying that you'd eventually have to replace the hedge/bush after a fox jumped up onto the top part some weeks ago, looks like, maybe, the wall too :LOL:

Roger...I recall Mr B saying that you'd eventually have to replace the hedge/bush after a fox jumped up onto the top part some weeks ago, looks like, maybe, the wall too :LOL:

Looks possible John :LOL:
Worst thing is that next door has obviously got rats again and I spotted one come over through the hedge and then run back last night around 2am, that does cause issues that I will have to address. I tried trapping them last time but to no avail, and I can't put poison down for obvious reasons so it's taken the shine off things a bit.
Fortunately the young Vixen and the Badgers get in early evening so the food doesn't stay out for long but for the time being I will have to confine the food to the area around the dishes and avoid putting it on the hedge or wall where 'bits' can get dropped.

Looks possible John :LOL:

Worst thing is that next door has obviously got rats again and I spotted one come over through the hedge and then run back last night around 2am, that does cause issues that I will have to address. I tried trapping them last time but to no avail, and I can't put poison down for obvious reasons so it's taken the shine off things a bit.
Fortunately the young Vixen and the Badgers get in early evening so the food doesn't stay out for long but for the time being I will have to confine the food to the area around the dishes and avoid putting it on the hedge or wall where 'bits' can get dropped.

Mice you can cope with but rats ?..Ugh They reckon any one of us is 50m away from the nearest rat. Folklore has it at 2m but in reality 50m. I'm glad you won't be using poison because years ago there was a rat's nest under the neighbour's garden shed and he put down poison and I saw one crawl across our garden in fits and starts and then die. Awful. I think good snap traps are better but you've tried that method . I don't know how practical they are for ridding places like sewers, though, where, apart from being disease-carriers they cause a great deal of structural damage. As you say, poison is there for any other creature to eat. Bit of a conundrum, really.

On the bright side putting the food away from the hedge and wall will stop them being damaged/destroyed :)

Mice you can cope with but rats ?..Ugh They reckon any one of us is 50m away from the nearest rat. Folklore has it at 2m but in reality 50m. I'm glad you won't be using poison because years ago there was a rat's nest under the neighbour's garden shed and he put down poison and I saw one crawl across our garden in fits and starts and then die. Awful. I think good snap traps are better but you've tried that method . I don't know how practical they are for ridding places like sewers, though, where, apart from being disease-carriers they cause a great deal of structural damage. As you say, poison is there for any other creature to eat. Bit of a conundrum, really.

On the bright side putting the food away from the hedge and wall will stop them being damaged/destroyed :)
Snap traps they just seemed to avoid ... I put them in a wire cage firmly fixed to the ground and surrounded by roofing tiles and large stones in order to protect the Foxes & Badgers. I think half the problem was that mice would get in and take the bait but not trigger the trap due to them being much lighter (though it did get a Wood Mouse once, which was larger).

I now also have a nightly foxy visitor. Its a young cub and follows my wife & I when walking our 2 dogs for their nighttime pee break..

Will try and get pics tonight...

I now also have a nightly foxy visitor. Its a young cub and follows my wife & I when walking our 2 dogs for their nighttime pee break..

Will try and get pics tonight...
That's great, look forward to seeing pics :)

Back