Nutters with Cameras - f&c style.

A mottly crew as is always the case on these TP meets!:LOL:

I wasn't part of that particular one, but having met Dean at Arundel, I do wonder what on earth has become of him…..anyone had any contact?

Well the moon was clear last night, hoping it will be in the same position tonight for my moon shot. It's in this thread cos I've had all failures before and must be mad to try and equal the shots on the net.
Trusty T70 (can't be bothered to change the film over to the T90) and 300mm lens with 2Xs converter and 100 iso gold.
IMG_9750.JPG

Well the moon was clear last night, hoping it will be in the same position tonight for my moon shot. It's in this thread cos I've had all failures before and must be mad to try and equal the shots on the net.
Trusty T70 (can't be bothered to change the film over to the T90) and 300mm lens with 2Xs converter and 100 iso gold.
View attachment 247840

If you don't have the remote release use the self timer to reduce camera shake, sadly this wonderful machine does not have mirror lock up. Also remember unless you set it to manual exposure the exposure is measured as centerweighted AE when you start the timer, that has caught me out when standing in front of camera to start it - it does mention it in the manual but who reads those :banghead:

If you don't have the remote release use the self timer to reduce camera shake, sadly this wonderful machine does not have mirror lock up. Also remember unless you set it to manual exposure the exposure is measured as centerweighted AE when you start the timer, that has caught me out when standing in front of camera to start it - it does mention it in the manual but who reads those :banghead:

Well you don't really need mirror up for moon shots as it's quite bright? I'll use the T90 with spot metering with a 200mm lens and as the moon is quite white erm if IIRC and have got it the right way round.....will have to open up a stop or two to compensate, plus another two stops for the converter.

You should be able to use Sunny 16 on the moon. It's being lit by the sun with no atmosphere or clouds.

H'mm Asha said that as well, but it doesn't seem right i.e. f16 @ 1/100 for ISO 100 film as it doesn't take into account for the moon low down or high in the sky.....so I used Brian's rule i.e. take a spot reading and as it's more like snow (well looking thru' the view finder) and add two stops to what the reading says.
Anyway I missed the best time for a shot as I fell asleep....... @ 10:30 it was low in the sky, fell asleep woke up at 4 am and it was low in the sky again, so a nutter with a camera, in a dressing gown, in the front garden..... taking photos @ 4 am. o_O:rolleyes:

You should be able to use Sunny 16 on the moon. It's being lit by the sun with no atmosphere or clouds.
H'mm Asha said that as well,

How can it not be right Bri?
The moon is white (ish).
The sun reflects its luminosity off of it.
OK so there is distance to consider where some luminosity maybe lost but Sunny or shoulfd that be moony lol F/16 or F/11 rule should be somewhere close to correct exposure

How can it not be right Bri?
The moon is white (ish).
The sun reflects its luminosity off of it.
OK so there is distance to consider where some luminosity maybe lost but Sunny or shoulfd that be moony lol F/16 or F/11 rule should be somewhere close to correct exposure

Well just first thoughts and I can be persuaded with logic:- how can the reflection from the moon (from the sun) be the same as full sun during the day for sunny 16....if it was the same when the moon was out it would be like daylight. As sunny 16 rule changes for different daylight condition e.g. for overcast sky could be say sunny f5.6 then you would have to work out sunny 16 rules for the moon starting with clear night and moon overhead would be sunny F?

Simple, quick reply - you're not photographing the sun, you're photographing an object lit by the sun. The only difference between the moon and a convenient large rock placed bottom left in a landscape photo is the distance. You don't adjust exposure for subject distance except in the case of close ups.

Ansel Adams describes the making of his famous image "Moonrise", in which he couldn't find his Weston exposure meter. He claims he solved the problem by remembering that the luminance of the moon is 250 candles per square foot! So there you are, all the information you need... :)

I seem to vaguely remember when I took a photo of the moon when I was about 16, using a Canon A1, a manual aperture Soligor 400mm lens and a 3x converter, which gave me a 1200mm lens. I seem to recall using the camera's meter as a guide, and bracketing the exposure over about 5 shots, I may have used stopped down AE for one of the shots too. This was on E6 slide film and the rather rickety tripod I was using didn't help matters (I couldn't afford proper one at the time), but one of the shots wasn't too bad (but nothing like as good as some of the digital images of the moon we see these days), I'll try and find it and post it one of these days. Anyway, best of luck Brian.

Last edited:
you're photographing an object lit by the sun

Ah I seemed to have forgotten that which would be roughly similar to sticking a moon size Kodak grey card on the moon and taking a spot reading. But I'll rely on a camera that can take spot a reading as it's easy with 200mm upwards lens and takes into account weather conditions, where you are, and position of the moon in the sky.

I seem to vaguely remember when I took a photo of the moon when I was about 16, using a Canon A1, a manual aperture Soligor 400mm lens and a 3x converter, which gave me a 1200mm lens. I seem to recall using the camera's meter as a guide, and bracketing the exposure over about 5 shots, I may have used stopped down AE for one of the shots too. This was on E6 slide film and the rather rickety tripod I was using didn't help matters (I couldn't afford proper one at the time), but one of the shots wasn't too bad (but nothing like as good as some of the digital images of the moon we see these days), I'll try and find it and post it one of these days. Anyway, best of luck Brian.

I'll keep posting my failures now and again to encourage others to say "WTF I can do better than that" and encourage others to post their moon shots from film o_O But apparently taking shots from your garden near London ain't the best place. :(

I'll keep posting my failures now and again to encourage others to say "WTF I can do better than that" and encourage others to post their moon shots from film o_O But apparently taking shots from your garden near London with a Canon T70 / T90 ain't the best way to get a decent result. :(

Yes, we're already aware of that Bri, T'is why we shoot Nikon!

:exit::LOL:

C'mon now Asha, that was really cruel when you know the story about Brian's F4. :whistle:;)

:D I've got a backup F90x and that does spot metering, but there is a loop hole in Asha's owt for nowt as he is going to give me a Nikon 300mm or 400 mm ED lens for nowt. o_O

C'mon now Asha, that was really cruel when you know the story about Brian's F4. :whistle:;)
Oh Lawd don't get Bri restarted on that route again:runaway:…....It took 6 months for the topic to die down last time!:banghead::LOL:

Oh Lawd don't get Bri restarted on that route again:runaway:…....It took 6 months for the topic to die down last time!:banghead::LOL:

shssh don't remind the mods as I nearly got banned from my own thread o_O:eek:....... as I might return if I ever get the F4 working.

@BADGER.BRAD

Did I just see you on the telly? There was an item on BBC Breakfast about the Whitby Goth Weekend and I'm sure you and Mrs Badger were in the set up shot.

@BADGER.BRAD

Did I just see you on the telly? There was an item on BBC Breakfast about the Whitby Goth Weekend and I'm sure you and Mrs Badger were in the set up shot.

I saw that too and thought I recognised some badgers! Only on for a second or so, so I couldn't be sure. You can tell it was filmed a few weeks ago as summer is here now so Goths will have entered their purple clothing phase. ;)

... having met Dean at Arundel, I do wonder what on earth has become of him …
DBGFcl8.gif

Hi all! Long story short, personal issues but I'm still kicking! I've finally settled on a camera to keep, however, so I've returned to the forum in order to sell everything before I run away and hide (again).

Hope everyone's well, lots to catch up on so I'll probably skip to the end of a few threads and post a "nice shot" or two to get my post count moving again. ;)

Cheers!

DBGFcl8.gif

Hi all! Long story short, personal issues but I'm still kicking! I've finally settled on a camera to keep, however, so I've returned to the forum in order to sell everything before I run away and hide (again).

Hope everyone's well, lots to catch up on so I'll probably skip to the end of a few threads and post a "nice shot" or two to get my post count moving again. ;)

Cheers!

Yippee, Strappy Dean is back with us :banana::)

Oh, bloody hell!

Language please! "Sanguinary Hades" if you don't mind.

Welcome back Dean. Looking forward to seeing the sale of the century :).

Easier than
Σκατζόχοιρος!

Well just first thoughts and I can be persuaded with logic:- how can the reflection from the moon (from the sun) be the same as full sun during the day for sunny 16....if it was the same when the moon was out it would be like daylight. As sunny 16 rule changes for different daylight condition e.g. for overcast sky could be say sunny f5.6 then you would have to work out sunny 16 rules for the moon starting with clear night and moon overhead would be sunny F?
The moons not white, it's apparently brown, about 8 to 10% reflectance according to NASA

......a chance for all the guys who have bought expensive digi spotmeters to take a reading of the moon to get a rough looney "F No".......is a digi spotmeter any good for the moon compared to say a Canon T90 with 300mm (plus) lens taking a spot reading?

......a chance for all the guys who have bought expensive digi spotmeters to take a reading of the moon to get a rough looney "F No".......is a digi spotmeter any good for the moon compared to say a Canon T90 with 300mm (plus) lens taking a spot reading?

Well the moon is out and at this time is not high in the sky and the spot reading with a T90 and 300mm is f5.6 @ 1/60 sec, it looks white so exposure compensation should be needed....h'mm how you can use sunny whatever for a moon shot at the top of a mountain to a murky city and at different positions in the sky beats me :rolleyes:
I was using a 2Xs converter with the 300mm lens when I took some shots, so no way was the camera set for a fast speed (waiting for results). (n) (y)

h'mm how you can use sunny whatever for a moon shot at the top of a mountain to a murky city and at different positions in the sky beats me

I'm not sure I follow you. "Sunny 16" doesn't state that you always use 1/ISO at f/16 in daylight, so some judgement is required. But more importantly, I'm not sure whether you're referring to the exposure required to photograph the moon, or the exposure required to photograph by moonlight.

I'm not sure I follow you. "Sunny 16" doesn't state that you always use 1/ISO at f/16 in daylight, so some judgement is required. But more importantly, I'm not sure whether you're referring to the exposure required to photograph the moon, or the exposure required to photograph by moonlight.

Taking shots of the moon and just my opinion:- to eliminate all variables, the best way is to spot meter the moon and treat it as a giant Kodak grey card, but it looks more white than kodak grey therefore exposure compensation would be needed....like when taking a shot of dirty snow.

I've only achieved anything acceptable in the way of moon images on cloudless days. Even then they haven't been that good. On the other hand, I'm not an astronomer. Taken with a Sony HX90 pocket camera...

Sony HX90 8GB 01 DSC01300.JPG

I've only achieved anything acceptable in the way of moon images on cloudless days. Even then they haven't been that good. On the other hand, I'm not an astronomer. Taken with a Sony HX90 pocket camera...

View attachment 249837

Well better than I've achieved so far......a VG digi camera is probably better than a 35mm film camera for one reason:- you can enlarge quite a bit without break up of image, to get the same on film would need a hi res scan which is more expensive and my thinking is why pay more when you don't even know what the results are going to be like.
I could fix my Canon 300mm with 2Xs converter to my Nex 3 but the weight would probably break the mount if the camera was fixed to a tripod :eek:

I was on TV , The BBC Travel show. We bumped into the BBC crew at the fish smokers (Whitby) and got talking after a while they asked us if they could film us, It was so hard not looking at the camera especially when the rest of the photographers wanted us to look straight down the lens ! Over the years we have been in quite a few newspapers, a couple of art gallery's and now on TV , It must be my good looks !

Last edited:
Back