Offers in Classifieds

Not keen on "What's your best price?" when I've put a price and invited offers.

Totally agree with this it should be on the buyer to make an opening offer

Indeed it is Steve. Unfortunately we can't be everywhere and read every post.
So we rely on members reporting such, it then goes in the staff room, we discuss and take any appropriate action deemed necessary.

As above with the first part, of your and most certainly on the latter.

That's covered by the RULES
No deliberate profiteering (Increase in market value is OK). If you got a bargain here, pass the bargain back! It's the right thing to do.

I can certainly ask the question of admin.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
By all means lol and as a heavily invested Nikon user I wouldn't disagree with you but the hard facts are the first page of the ‘other’ forum takes you back barely even a week of Sony sales, but the first page of the Nikon forum takes you back almost 3 months!!! I said bargain bin but tbh Nikon isn’t even manging that!

Last edited:
I have not read the whole thread, but..... I have been disappointed with the classifieds on here lately. When I first started buying and selling stuff on this site, I would generally offer the best possible price I could when selling, making it more attractive to proper enthusiasts and newcomers who had gone to the trouble of joining and contributing to this community. It would often then be haggled upon a little. If it didn't sell here, I would offer it at higher prices on auction sites or other places. This seemed to be the way it was done on here.

Nowadays, people seem to offer £5 off the new retail price for something that despite having light use only has been in their possession for 2 years. And at the other end of the scale, when something is posted up for sale, they tend to make a ridicuously low offer, and expect free postage on top of it.

Now obviously people buying will only pay what they feel something is worth, and sellers won't let something go for less than they can afford to, but I think there should be a move away from trying to take the p*** at both ends of the system.

I rarely look at the classifieds and never bought from them.
It always makes me suspicious when I do see something I'm interested in and the seller
has 99% of their posts in the classified section, either buying or selling and often the only post outside
are the few qualifying ones at the start.
They may have a 100% rating but it still smacks of making a profit from the forum or dealing.

I am guilty for chucking in a lower cheeky bid if it is going for a while unsold.
don't see an issue.

Most of the stuff I have bought photography wise has come off here! Managed not to be tempted of late though!

I did offer a lower bid for a Fuji camera. The price asked was generally fair, but I based my bid on the fact that it was a "Want" rather than a "Need" and a bit of a rash purchase.
Also I was well aware of how Fuji camera prices plummet when they bring out a new model. (Which proved to be the case.)
I don't regret buying it though. It's the old Price / Value conundrum. :)

I did offer a lower bid for a Fuji camera. The price asked was generally fair, but I based my bid on the fact that it was a "Want" rather than a "Need" and a bit of a rash purchase.
Also I was well aware of how Fuji camera prices plummet when they bring out a new model. (Which proved to be the case.)
I don't regret buying it though. It's the old Price / Value conundrum. :)

Same here - if i am in need or think i need it i will always offer asking - if impulse then more likely to offer low, not to insult and in some ways am not unhappy if it gets rejected. Classic supply and demand.

I am guilty for chucking in a lower cheeky bid if it is going for a while unsold.
if i am in need or think i need it i will always offer asking - if impulse then more likely to offer low,
I see no problem with either of those scenario's.
BUT there are some members that persistently very much "low ball"
And seem to get upset when they are turned down.

Its pretty obvious they are chancing their arm in the hope of getting a profit here or elsewhere.
And then again, those that scour the freebies. I know at least one person that gave away a decent item, worth a few quid.
Only to see it return to the Classified section a couple or so weeks later.

Unfortunately it was several month later that I was told,
Had I known at the time, that person would have been on the bench certainly for awhile

If it's a need, I'd probably pay close to (or even full!) asking price (if it's a fair price). If it's a want, I'll be a bit cheeky. If it's a why not give it a whirl, I'll leave it for a while then possibly be a bit cheekier. I'd never get offended if an offer was rejected!

I try to avoid the classifieds though - I can resist anything but temptation!

And then again, those that scour the freebies. I know at least one person that gave away a decent item, worth a few quid.
Only to see it return to the Classified section a couple or so weeks later.

Unfortunately it was several month later that I was told,
Had I known at the time, that person would have been on the bench certainly for awhile
Now that is bad, amazing the brass neck on some.

I have only sold one item on here ,a bag which the buyer claimed smelt of smoke and ( I dont smoke btw) refunded him and sold it a few days later on e/bay for £50 + more . and that is my preferred method of selling especially with the advent of there GSP . takes all the hassle out of selling abroad

I’ve bought and sold several bits and pieces on here.

If I’m buying I’ll usually make an offer close to the asking price, working on the principle that most people build in a bit of haggling room. If it’s turned down that’s fair enough and I’m not offended. If it’s something I really want then I’ll increase the offer, that’s how haggling normally works.

Likewise if someone gets close enough to the asking price I’ll usually take an offer on something I’m selling. I’m only peed off when it’s a ludicrously low offer or when someone claims “I can only afford x amount at the moment” or “I don’t really need it so I’m only offering x”. Frankly if you’re not in the ballpark of what I’m asking, then it’s your problem not mine. I’m not a charity.

Buying cheap (or getting free) on here and selling on at a profit is a fact of life I guess, but it does rankle with me.

Last edited:
Back