Official Fuji X-Pro 2 thread

I've checked in my online manual and it's detailed on page 33 or thereabouts. You can even do this on the X-Pro1, but in a different section of the setup. On the Pro2 it's under Spanner/Disp Custom Setting/OVF and check Histogram.

Last edited:
I've checked in my online manual and it's detailed on page 33 or thereabouts. You can even do this on the X-Pro1, but in a different section of the setup. On the Pro2 it's under Spanner/Disp Custom Setting/OVF and check Histogram.
Thanks, I dug out the manual online and yes it shows two empty boxes where where both EVF and OVF can be ticked.

Finally spotted a refurb 100-400 on the Fuji site, at a shade over 1100 quid it seemed rude not to give it a try, anyone got any experience of using it with the XP2?

Been a bad month for the credit card with the X100F as well!

Last edited:
This body is still at the top of my list to replace my Canon gear.

Obviously, the deeper I dig into reviews the more stuff I find out...

Does anyone have a problem with the eyecup? Sources seem to suggest it comes off quite easily.

Also found some reports of the eyecup not doing a great job of shielding your eye from stray light, and that there's no optional replacement. Anyone find that?

One thing I havent found yet is the minimum focal length for the frame lines on the OVF - I think I saw 18mm, can anyone confirm?

Lastly, what's the longest lens you can still expect a comfortable experience using with the OVF, I.e. how much gets blocked when using bigger lenses. I intend to use both EVF and OVF, but feel I might enjoy the OVF more.

Does anyone have a problem with the eyecup? Sources seem to suggest it comes off quite easily.

Also found some reports of the eyecup not doing a great job of shielding your eye from stray light, and that there's no optional replacement. Anyone find that?

One thing I havent found yet is the minimum focal length for the frame lines on the OVF - I think I saw 18mm, can anyone confirm?

Lastly, what's the longest lens you can still expect a comfortable experience using with the OVF, I.e. how much gets blocked when using bigger lenses. I intend to use both EVF and OVF, but feel I might enjoy the OVF more.

I no longer have the X-Pro 2 but to help with a few bits, the eyecup was ok, probably not quite as sculpted or larger as some others but worked fine and yes there are no optional replacements. As for it falling off I'd be surprised it seemed very well held on to me (unlike some Nikon bodies I've had!)

The lens blocking the OVF isn't really dependent on focal length but the actual lens size, for example the 16mm is a large lens and would block part of the OVF but certain longer lenses wouldn't, especially the newer 23/2 and 35/2 which seem designed for use on the X-Pro 2.

I no longer have the X-Pro 2 but to help with a few bits, the eyecup was ok, probably not quite as sculpted or larger as some others but worked fine and yes there are no optional replacements. As for it falling off I'd be surprised it seemed very well held on to me (unlike some Nikon bodies I've had!)

The lens blocking the OVF isn't really dependent on focal length but the actual lens size, for example the 16mm is a large lens and would block part of the OVF but certain longer lenses wouldn't, especially the newer 23/2 and 35/2 which seem designed for use on the X-Pro 2.
Thanks for that - regarding the lenses in the OVF - I understand the 23 and 35 f2 versions should be fine. What can I expect from the 16 and the 90 if anyone has those

The ovf parallax shift function only works so well, I'd be surprised if it even works with the 90mm, I know the xpro1 doesn't even try to work with it. You wouldn't know what you were focussing on.

Eyecup - for me, so far........ it's been ok (had the camera 7 months) but there's quite a few out there saying it's fallen off and they've lost it.

Correct, there's no bigger replacement for the eye cup. I wouldn't say stray light is a big problem... but things vary in usage, if the sun's low in the sky, shinning on your face from the l/h side, then you'll probably see it intruding into the corner of your eye. That said I find the eye cup better at blocking stray light than the X-Pro1

Not sure RE min OVF length... I THINK I read 16mm, but I don't own that lens to check

Not sure how to answer the OVF blocking question... there's not a single lens (well maybe the 27) that you can't see at least a little bit of in the OVF, but that doesn't mean they block the frame lines, or even get in the way of visualising the scene - that said of course, if you're close focusing, then the frame lines shift to the side of the OVF where the lens is, but then again of course - if you're focusing that closely the EVF is probably the way to go anyway

I don't have the 16, but my HUNCH is that lens would be the most likely to interfere with a pure OVF view, it's a huge bit of glass and the frame lines would be quite close to the edges of the OVF, comparatively the 56 is also quite a large lens (for a Fuji prime), but the FL makes the frame lines quite small, so it doesn't interfere with them.

Ultimately the majority of times (as I'm sure you realise!), any stray light/lens in the OVF annoyances can be avoided by turning your head a bit, even if it's just to decide on exposure and focus, then you can return to the position you want for the shot.

As far as I now the viewfinder eyecup problem was only an issue of some early models and is fixed in newer batches. According to Fuji service the eyecup is glued to the viewfinder and if it comes of it should be fixed by the service. I have my X-Pro2 for about 6 month now shooting quite a lot and never experinced a problem with the eyecup.

Personally I love the optical viewfinder, I have a X100 for a long time now and now ditched the X-T10 for an X-Pro2 to have it there as well. It works best with moderate focal length from 18mm to 60mm (APS-C equiv.), so you could say it is build to work well with the 18-55 2.8-4 zoom. I think 16mm should still just work, with 14mm there is now frame any more but the whole window will become the frame. With longer focal length like 90mm the OVF still works, but it is more convenient to use the EVF because the frame lines become quite small. Viewfinder blockage is mostly a problem if you use larger lenses with lens hoods, without most lenses work fine, except for the very larg ones like the 16-55 2.8 zoom or maybe the 16mm 1.4 (but haven't tried that one myself).

Last edited:
I've got rid of enough Canon gear now to start looking at the set up and where I buy from. So far;

Body new from DigitalRev @ £1150 (avoids all the early batch used ones)
14 f2.8 @ £550 used
18 f2 @ £200 used
27 f2.8 @ £200 used
35 f2 @ £280 used

I have about £1000 to spend on glass.

Struggling to maximise the budget and get a good spread of FLs.

Eyecup - for me, so far........ it's been ok (had the camera 7 months) but there's quite a few out there saying it's fallen off and they've lost it.

Correct, there's no bigger replacement for the eye cup. I wouldn't say stray light is a big problem... but things vary in usage, if the sun's low in the sky, shinning on your face from the l/h side, then you'll probably see it intruding into the corner of your eye. That said I find the eye cup better at blocking stray light than the X-Pro1

Not sure RE min OVF length... I THINK I read 16mm, but I don't own that lens to check

Not sure how to answer the OVF blocking question... there's not a single lens (well maybe the 27) that you can't see at least a little bit of in the OVF, but that doesn't mean they block the frame lines, or even get in the way of visualising the scene - that said of course, if you're close focusing, then the frame lines shift to the side of the OVF where the lens is, but then again of course - if you're focusing that closely the EVF is probably the way to go anyway

I don't have the 16, but my HUNCH is that lens would be the most likely to interfere with a pure OVF view, it's a huge bit of glass and the frame lines would be quite close to the edges of the OVF, comparatively the 56 is also quite a large lens (for a Fuji prime), but the FL makes the frame lines quite small, so it doesn't interfere with them.

Ultimately the majority of times (as I'm sure you realise!), any stray light/lens in the OVF annoyances can be avoided by turning your head a bit, even if it's just to decide on exposure and focus, then you can return to the position you want for the shot.

I found a link that says the 18 is the widest frame lines with space around the outside, the 16 is on the edge of the OVF, and the 14's framelines are just outside the OVF area.

27 (40mm equivalent) doesn't sound too exciting - shame as it's a nice small one. I'll probably strike that off the list above actually.

Throwing another question out! I had a change of heart about the body and bought an excellent used copy from LCE. Gives me another £150 to play with on glass.

Extra batteries sound like a must-have - I don't buy OEM batteries, they're criminally expensive - but on this occasion, Amazon UK doesn't have much in the way of reviews for 3rd party ones. Can anyone recommend a 3rd party brand?

Throwing another question out! I had a change of heart about the body and bought an excellent used copy from LCE. Gives me another £150 to play with on glass.

Extra batteries sound like a must-have - I don't buy OEM batteries, they're criminally expensive - but on this occasion, Amazon UK doesn't have much in the way of reviews for 3rd party ones. Can anyone recommend a 3rd party brand?

These are what you are looking for

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro-126...F8&qid=1488109662&sr=8-2&keywords=w126+ex+pro

Black ones are fine, I've used a few before, but as Ian says the white ones are meant to last a bit longer and there isn't a big difference in price.
As Barry says, there's probably little if any difference but I take comfort in that the white version get the better reviews. I've never been disappointed with either.

As Barry says, there's probably little if any difference but I take comfort in that the white version get the better reviews. I've never been disappointed with either.
PS I HAVE been let down by Chilli Power and Wasabi, both of which have quite a following in Trumpland.

PS I HAVE been let down by Chilli Power and Wasabi, both of which have quite a following in Trumpland.

I've used Ex Pro batteries in different cameras for years and haven't had a problem.

Not sure what the real difference is between the NP-W126 and the NP-W126S variant. Something to do with 4K video on the T2 and heat reduction and/or accurate % life left.

I've used Ex Pro batteries in different cameras for years and haven't had a problem.

Not sure what the real difference is between the NP-W126 and the NP-W126S variant. Something to do with 4K video on the T2 and heat reduction and/or accurate % life left.

They run cooler in order to facilitate 4k on the XT2

Plus one on ex pro white

I bought a pair of them in June 2015, both still running fine, both get about the same number of shots (within 40) as the OEM one (and to be fair, the OEM one is newer as I got it with the the XP2 in July 16

The only real different I notice with Ex Pro ones is that when the batt symbol goes red in the VF, it REALLY is time to change it, while the OEM one can take a handful more shots...

Only ever had one problem with an Ex-Pro, it was a Black one that was slightly oversize and a tad too snug fitting. Presumably swollen from heat, still worked, but didn't think it was worth the risk so out it went.

Body new from DigitalRev @ £1150 (avoids all the early batch used ones)
14 f2.8 @ £550 used
18 f2 @ £200 used
27 f2.8 @ £200 used
35 f2 @ £280 used

You might want to think about the new 23/2 instead of 18/2 and 27/2.8 since the 18/2 is not a very good lens overall. It has a nice character but is lacks sharpness in the edges of the frame. The 23/2 is a bit wider, more like a 21mm, and it's weather sealed too. 14/2.8 and 35/2 are very nice lenses, really love them! The 35/2 is also quite small on the X-Pro2, is my smallest lens and I don't miss the pancakes.

You might want to think about the new 23/2 instead of 18/2 and 27/2.8 since the 18/2 is not a very good lens overall. It has a nice character but is lacks sharpness in the edges of the frame. The 23/2 is a bit wider, more like a 21mm, and it's weather sealed too. 14/2.8 and 35/2 are very nice lenses, really love them! The 35/2 is also quite small on the X-Pro2, is my smallest lens and I don't miss the pancakes.
Thanks for that. I think I'm drawing toward getting a 14 and the 23/2. Will see how I get on thereafter.

Payday tomorrow! Still need to sell the 135mm. I sense a price drop coming.

Well my XP2 arrived and it is mint as advertised. I am now playing with the settings - talking of which, what settings do you guys use for
Noise reduction
Highlight tone
Shadow tone
Colour
Sharpness
I have splashed out on a s/h 23mm f1.4 lens which I intend to use with this body. I just need to get out there and take some photos :)

Well my XP2 arrived and it is mint as advertised. I am now playing with the settings - talking of which, what settings do you guys use for
Noise reduction
Highlight tone
Shadow tone
Colour
Sharpness
I have splashed out on a s/h 23mm f1.4 lens which I intend to use with this body. I just need to get out there and take some photos :)

Perfect combo.

I Only ever shot in raw so can't comment on settings.
Beautiful camera, look forward to seeing some shots.

I was (am) tempted by your case for sale - but I have just ordered a cheapie :-(

I too was tempted but missed out. What cheapie did you order? How are you finding it?

I too was tempted but missed out. What cheapie did you order? How are you finding it?

Actually, I am finding it really good and huge value for money

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162397799493?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It attaches via the tripod screw (rather than those silly tabs that clip over the strap lugs) and you can access everything without taking it off (unlike the Fuji one) the cut out around the AF button is slightly off centre but that's all the gripes. For £9.99 delivered, it's a steal

Actually, I am finding it really good and huge value for money

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162397799493?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It attaches via the tripod screw (rather than those silly tabs that clip over the strap lugs) and you can access everything without taking it off (unlike the Fuji one) the cut out around the AF button is slightly off centre but that's all the gripes. For £9.99 delivered, it's a steal

Thanks for that - I'll go check them out.

Back