Official Fuji X-Pro 2 thread

You might want to think about the new 23/2 instead of 18/2 and 27/2.8 since the 18/2 is not a very good lens overall. It has a nice character but is lacks sharpness in the edges of the frame. The 23/2 is a bit wider, more like a 21mm, and it's weather sealed too. 14/2.8 and 35/2 are very nice lenses, really love them! The 35/2 is also quite small on the X-Pro2, is my smallest lens and I don't miss the pancakes.
Yeah i'd forget about the 27mm, in my opinion it's a bit of a meh, sharp, but not a focal length I'm comfortable with. The23mm F2 is a fantastic lens, it's my most used focal length, plus it's a WR lens , I also love my (much maligned) 18mm F2. I had the 35mm f2 but sold it, I'm now thinking of buying it again lol

Was released 2 weeks ago this Friday Jim. Got mine on day of release. Absolute lovely lens which produces images that need very little if any sharpening. Incredibly fast to focus but the f1.4 ranges probably still have the edge in very low light due to the extra stops.

I have the "Fujicron" 23mm I love the form factor and the speedy AF, an extra stop would be nice, but for me the benefits of the Fujicrons outweigh the faster, bulkier lenses. I'll maybe pop into Calumet and have a look at it, not sure, in fact I know I don't need it. But that has never stopped me in the past.

I have the "Fujicron" 23mm I love the form factor and the speedy AF, an extra stop would be nice, but for me the benefits of the Fujicrons outweigh the faster, bulkier lenses. I'll maybe pop into Calumet and have a look at it, not sure, in fact I know I don't need it. But that has never stopped me in the past.
Hi Jim. I missed one of those on the classifieds recently, truth be told, the sample images the seller put up worried me a bit - he/she had a strong backlit wooded area and purple fringing was horrific.

How do you find it? I really want one, and I'm hoping it's just sample variation.

Am tempted by the fujicron line up now i have the 50. But I already own the 1.4 version of the 35 and 23 and love them both. Maybe better served by saving my money for something wider :)

I love mine, absolutely no issue with CA, it is a wee bit soft wide open, but from 2.8 upwards it's very sharp. I had it in Dublin recently and it was great for street photography, fast and discreeT. To be honest it was a rugby weekend so photography was low on my list of priorities, but I did get a few nice shots. Plus as is the norm in Ireland, it rained off and on most of the weekend so the WR was really appreciated.

I'm using primes on my X-Pro 2 more and more, so I've just bought a 14mm F2.8 from here this week.So the with my 14mm, 18mm, 23mm the 50mm F2 would complete my setup. Zooms for my X-T2 and primes on my XP2

As you already have the 23mm F1.4 you know how the FL is, some nice shots on flickr with the F2

I recently took delivery of a 23mm f2, having sold the 1.4 version to Peter (Macvisual) of this parish. I hardly ever used the 1.4, but the f2 is rarely off the camera these days. It just "feels" right. And for me, the feel, the sensation, of the camera/lens package puts me at ease and helps my photography at least as much as pure IQ does. I think my next purchase, whenever that may be, will be of the 50mm f2. Then I will have the trio.

Well my XP2 arrived and it is mint as advertised. I am now playing with the settings - talking of which, what settings do you guys use for
Noise reduction
Highlight tone
Shadow tone
Colour
Sharpness

Since the Fuji Cameras are very well in handling noise, and the noise looks quite organic, I usually choose the minimum setting for noise reduction (-4). And because of the very good lenses I use half minimum for the sharpness setting (-2). Highlights, Shadows and Clolours depend a lot on the film simulation used, the different simulations also change the behaviour of this three settings (e.g. velvia has a much stronger contrast then astia). Most of the time I leave them at 0 or choose even low negative values to boost that settings later when editing the JPGs. You can play around with this settings nicely by editing a RAW file with the camera internal RAW converter, you will see that different setting there have a quite large impact on the later JPG.

Yeah i'd forget about the 27mm, in my opinion it's a bit of a meh, sharp, but not a focal length I'm comfortable with. The23mm F2 is a fantastic lens, it's my most used focal length, plus it's a WR lens , I also love my (much maligned) 18mm F2. I had the 35mm f2 but sold it, I'm now thinking of buying it again lol

My favorit vocal length is as well 23 mm, but I have the 23/1.4 and love it to much to exchange it for the new 23/2. I had the 18/2 for quite some time and really liked it for its charakter, but at least my lens was very soft in the corners and I couldn't really use it for landscapes. Unlike most people I also really like 35 mm and don't think you have to choose between 23 and 35, although they lie close to each other I find the difference quite visible. Here I prefere the new 35/2 over the old 35/1.4 because the new one reminds me on the 18/2 while I were never able to find the special charakter of the old version. It's obviously all a strong matter of personal preferance :)

Last edited:
Let's post some images again. Here I played with an OM 50/1.4 and Baveyes focal reducer adapter, no perfect sharpness expected. I like the picture anyway, the colours this lens produces is very nice, didn't change the colours at all in post processing.

winter mud 1 by madSec, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Jim. I missed one of those on the classifieds recently, truth be told, the sample images the seller put up worried me a bit - he/she had a strong backlit wooded area and purple fringing was horrific.

How do you find it? I really want one, and I'm hoping it's just sample variation.

That was me :oops: :$. Maybe because the firmware on my XPro1 was well out of date when I took the pics..

Tried the X-Pro 2 today in the store with the 35/1.4, the AF is certainly snappy and acceptable. Much faster than I expected from the reviews on the 1.4 online.

Tried the X-Pro 2 today in the store with the 35/1.4, the AF is certainly snappy and acceptable. Much faster than I expected from the reviews on the 1.4 online.

Yes, I have the 23/1.4 and the AF is fine on that too

Last edited:
Just saw this, not sure how long it's been announced but 15 minute long exposure... They should have done this ages ago, great news saves me carrying around the silly remote thing :)

https://blog.calphoto.co.uk/2017/03...film-x-t2-and-x-pro2-cameras-are-coming-soon/
Installed it this morning.
Unless I'm missing something, you can only select 40s, 50s, 60s, 2 min, 4 min, 8 min, 15 min

I was expecting a kind of 'custom' setting where you could pick a specific duration.

Double exposure time is 1EV steps, or am I missing something? Should be fine for most tasks...

Three from a recent trip to Suffolk:

Beach%20huts%201024px_zpsc1rmylow.jpg

Beach Huts at Southwold

Southwold%201024px_zpsoqkgasy7.jpg

Southwold

House%20in%20the%20clouds%201024px_zpsa8kkdpmk.jpg

The House in the Clouds - Thorpeness

Shame about the grey sky in the last one but that's how it goes - all done with X-Pro2 and 23f2

Last edited:
Just been out for a local-ish walk in the Dales with my newly re-acquired X-Pro2 and a couple of primes and I'm amazed at just how much more I enjoy using this camera than my X-T2. Obviously the IQ will be the same, but somehow it's a greater pleasure to use. Don't know why I got rid in the first place.

Just been out for a local-ish walk in the Dales with my newly re-acquired X-Pro2 and a couple of primes and I'm amazed at just how much more I enjoy using this camera than my X-T2. Obviously the IQ will be the same, but somehow it's a greater pleasure to use. Don't know why I got rid in the first place.
Glad you like it Stephen - I still have my X-Pro1 and find it a joy to use. However, I now have Andrew's X100F as a lightweight walkabout X-Pro2 :)

I've had an X-Pro2 since launch, having previously shot Canon DSLR (5D3 was the last). I want to add a second body, so I thought about the XT2 to maximise options within the Fuji range.
I hot footed it down to Park Cameras yesterday, ready to purchase, but when I picked up the XT2, I could not get comfortable with it - and I mean physically comfortable - it felt like I needed to smash my face into the back of it to use the (admittedly lovely) viewfinder.

Now obviously it was the same with the old DSLR, but I don't remember it being quite so uncomfortable, so my question is, does the XT2 viewfinder protrude significantly less from the body than say an 5D, or haveI just become so used to the XPRO2 style that it just 'feels' wrong?

Suffice to say I didn't buy the XT2 and and still considering my options.

I've had an X-Pro2 since launch, having previously shot Canon DSLR (5D3 was the last). I want to add a second body, so I thought about the XT2 to maximise options within the Fuji range.
I hot footed it down to Park Cameras yesterday, ready to purchase, but when I picked up the XT2, I could not get comfortable with it - and I mean physically comfortable - it felt like I needed to smash my face into the back of it to use the (admittedly lovely) viewfinder.

Now obviously it was the same with the old DSLR, but I don't remember it being quite so uncomfortable, so my question is, does the XT2 viewfinder protrude significantly less from the body than say an 5D, or haveI just become so used to the XPRO2 style that it just 'feels' wrong?

Suffice to say I didn't buy the XT2 and and still considering my options.

Somewhat embarrassingly I've flip-flopped Canon to Fuji twice now - i think the disappointment with my XT1 first time around stemmed from what you're describing, except because the body's smaller, your hands are generally touching your face too which gets tiring. The XT2 must have one of those extended eyecups available as an option, maybe that'll help.

That alone didn't cause me to go back to Canon, it was the lens lineup at the time (which i didn't think was as important at the time) and i missed shallow DoF of full frame, which I've now realised i was probably abusing by being lazy with composition.

Back