Official Fuji X-Pro 2 thread

Id bet theres a big chance this is using Sonys current 24mp sensor thats in the A6000 but with the X trans colour array filter.

That was the rumour but the Fuji is using a sensor with copper wiring, which the a6000 (apparently) doesn't have

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/fujifilm-x-pro-2-design--prototypes--and-manufacture-28727

The copper wiring is also (apparently) the reason that noise is low and data transfer is so high.

FWIW... I'm not sure how much I want a P2... I have a P1 and a T1 already, so I'm probably an ideal candidate, but (as mentioned by DPR) the 3 original primes probably won't perform much better on the P2 than they do on the T1... And the newer primes are a lot bigger, which might spoil the OVF experience...

Plus there's paying for it! I reckon I could sell my P1 and T1 and still need to find about £700 to get one

The first P1 was quickly offered at discount prices and with incentives, but the T1 held (holds?) it's price better, this is because the P1 was released to a fairly tepid reception, whereas the T1 was released to almost universal praise...

So assuming that Fuji have their act together on the P2 (and early reports are suggesting that they have) it could take quite a while for the price to fall significantly.

I know some people are shocked that Fuji want so much coin for a crop sensor camera... But comparing it to the original A7 is a little obtuse IMO (no offence intended) that camera is now nearly half the price that it was at release, and the P2 has it beat in every regard except sensor size, and frankly I'd GUESS that the newer sensor tech of the Fuji closes a lot of that gap....

That was the rumour but the Fuji is using a sensor with copper wiring, which the a6000 (apparently) doesn't have

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/fujifilm-x-pro-2-design--prototypes--and-manufacture-28727

The copper wiring is also (apparently) the reason that noise is low and data transfer is so high.

I know some people are shocked that Fuji want so much coin for a crop sensor camera... But comparing it to the original A7 is a little obtuse IMO (no offence intended) that camera is now nearly half the price that it was at release, and the P2 has it beat in every regard except sensor size, and frankly I'd GUESS that the newer sensor tech of the Fuji closes a lot of that gap....

Interesting.

Sure, but look at it vs a 1 1/2 yr old D750, the D750 is the same price. But it will beat the Xp2 in every way except for size. I think thats where the pricing comparisons/VFM will come in. We'll need to also wait and see what Sony does with the A6100 and A7iii with regards pricing.

XT1 should also drop in price as people move over which is good.

Last edited:

From my days in electronics and years staring at a scope I can say that most people would be shocked at the effect a track or a wire can have on a signal and then there's the length, shape proximity to other things, grounding and shielding etc... and I gather that on chip A/D conversion makes a significant difference too. It's no surprise to me that these things have an effect.

From my days in electronics and years staring at a scope I can say that most people would be shocked at the effect a track or a wire can have on a signal and then there's the length, shape proximity to other things, grounding and shielding etc... and I gather that on chip A/D conversion makes a significant difference too. It's no surprise to me that these things have an effect.

I don't pretend to understand it!

I wouldn't say I was a Fuji fanboy, but as my 2 main bodies are Fuji, I spend a lot of camera related internet time on Fuji-centric sites

When it was rumoured that the P2 would basically be a A6000 sensor with the X-Trans array, quite a few were very vocal that they didn't see this as an acceptable soloution* on such a new and expensive camera. Despite the bit I'm going to * at the bottom, I can understand the point

So I was relatively pleased to find out that the new "Fuji" (it'll almost certainly be from Sony, they make so many people's sensors) sensor had something a bit special about it

*is it just me, or is there something obtuse about how people judge a camera they've never seen or shot with by their perception of the tech inside?!

To be honest, everyone should be undecided until they've at least had a chance to play around with one. Especially for RAW shooters who need a closer look at the files before pulling the plug on a very expensive upgrade.

When I get the money together I'll probably pick one up. I've had the 16mm and 56mm sitting in a draw with no body to put them on for six months!

This is very true. It's not something I've really been mulling over since it's come out. I've read a couple of reviews but that's about it.
There is some nice tech inside and the new sensor sounds very promising but I'm hardly unhappy with the results from the X-T10. XP1 to X-T10 felt like a big jump in performance but I don't know how this would feel. Certainly for how much you'd be putting down. I think I would miss the tilt screen too. I used this quite a bit over the weekend.

I'm going to wait until they've been out for a little at least to see the general view

The AF on the X-Pro 1 was frankly sluggish, the XT-1 was a vast improvement. It will be interesting to see how this handles. No doubt if successful will be incorporated into the next XT-2 model.

Only feature that would make me buy this camera would be in camera stabilisation.

So I will stick with the X-T1 and X-E1for now, just too shaky to use primes, so its the zooms with IS for me

Hope the AF tracking is much improved on this camera. I switched to Fuji (XT 1) for the weight
Loved the Camera but the AF wasn't good enough for ME, back to Nikon atm

Well i am actually trying to move from a very big chunky DSLR that the D3300 nikon is for me, to a camera that actually connects me better with what i photograph. LEica is without a doubt an option for me specially the M6 since i love film. But if we have to talk about digital, i have so many doubts. I would love to have a rangefinder. I am used to manual focus and that's not a problem to me, so...

But still, i look at fuji's glass and cameras line up and it makes me think if a xt-10 is enough or not. I actually love that camera. However i dont see advantages on going for the xpro1 or 2.

What to you guys think ? Do you think the EVF on Xt-1 is that much better than the xpro 2?

The body of the Fuji might be bigger than you think! I replaced my X-Pro1 with an XT10 as although it's fairly light (well, compared to my D700) it's not the smallest body. You may want to consider an XE2 or XT10 if you want something more compact that uses the excellent Fuji lenses.

Only feature that would make me buy this camera would be in camera stabilisation.

So I will stick with the X-T1 and X-E1for now, just too shaky to use primes, so its the zooms with IS for me

Actually that is a very good point.
Being rather ancient, I suffer from a natural shake, which is mostly compensated buy OIS.
In body shake control, that you could switch off, would seem to be a very good compromise, as it allows the highest quality lenses. But have Shake suppression when needed.
It would open up top level Fuji ownership to many more of us old fogies.

In body shake control

I could definitely do with that, would be handy in the camera too.

On a more serious note the shakes do become a problem as you get older so something I would really like in the future from Fuji

In someways its good,hopefully it will come out without any issues :)

True, but with my experience with the XP1, Fuji were bringing out firmware updates almost weekly to "fix" issues.

True, but with my experience with the XP1, Fuji were bringing out firmware updates almost weekly to "fix" issues.

I didn't get into Fuji XP-1 till a while after it came out,but do remember trying one once,and finding it very slow and buggy,but when i came to swap from Nikon to Fuji,the firmware had fixed most issues :)

I'd prefer in body stabilisation if it's a means to reducing size, weight and cost of future lenses, don't see the point having it in body and lens unless it somehow proves to be significantly more effective, which im not sure it will?

I'm still hovering over the buy button for a pro2, if the Raws are every bit as good as I hope it'll be hard to wait until June/July for a T2, which afterall could just turn out to be the same spec bar an improved EVF and a few other tidbits. Decisions.

Last edited:
I'm still hovering over the buy button for a pro2, if the Raws are every bit as good as I hope it'll be hard to wait until June/July for a T2, which afterall could just turn out to be the same spec bar an improved EVF and a few other tidbits. Decisions.

I'd be surprised if the X-T2 brings anything unexpected so soon after the X-Pro2. It seems like Fuji is positioning them as their top 2 models, one offering the more traditional style and the other to compete with the regular DSLR. The viewfinders will be different as will the body shapes but since the actual hardware (sensor, CPU, etc) will likely be identical I think the features will be largely the same.

I've opted for the X-Pro2 as I found the X-T1 too "busy" and like the understated style of the X-Pro2, it also means it will match nicely with my X-E2 which I plan to keep (I'll be selling my X-T10).

If you prefer the DSLR style then I'd definitely wait as the X-T2's EVF will be much better than the X-Pro2 and it might well be cheaper too.

I'd be surprised if the X-T2 brings anything unexpected so soon after the X-Pro2. It seems like Fuji is positioning them as their top 2 models, one offering the more traditional style and the other to compete with the regular DSLR. The viewfinders will be different as will the body shapes but since the actual hardware (sensor, CPU, etc) will likely be identical I think the features will be largely the same.

I've opted for the X-Pro2 as I found the X-T1 too "busy" and like the understated style of the X-Pro2, it also means it will match nicely with my X-E2 which I plan to keep (I'll be selling my X-T10).

If you prefer the DSLR style then I'd definitely wait as the X-T2's EVF will be much better than the X-Pro2 and it might well be cheaper too.

I do hope that Fuji makes the XT-1 a bit different, maybe 20mp sensor , higher iso and slightly bigger grip. Makes the X-PRO2 higher end landscape and the XT-1 higher end sport

I doubt that very much based on their history, the X-Trans II was used in a heap of cameras (and is still going in the X70/X-E2S) so I can't see them adding a new sensor, the R&D/manufacturing costs just wouldn't stack up. 24MP seems to be the new "minimum" standard now, quite crazy for someone like me who still has canvas prints from 3MP images :)

The body/grip will definitely be different but I wouldn't expect any difference in image quality at all and I would be surprised if there was any difference in AF since that's almost entirely down to the sensor/processor/firmware (and lens of course).

Opps has someone discovered an 'issue' !

From chatting to my local store, they've been told that demand is higher than expected so Fuji are holding back so they can get decent stock to all of their official resellers at the same time so that no single store (i.e. Amazon) gets all of the early sales. Seems fair to me and helps the smaller stores compete on a more even footing.

From chatting to my local store, they've been told that demand is higher than expected so Fuji are holding back so they can get decent stock to all of their official resellers at the same time so that no single store (i.e. Amazon) gets all of the early sales. Seems fair to me and helps the smaller stores compete on a more even footing.

Sound an good idea,after what happen with the launch of the XT-10 (n)

Exactly !!

I remember the light leak issue on the first X-T1 cameras !!

I guess what is more important than having an issue with a camera on release is how a company would deal with the issue to please buyers. Based on that I have more confident in Fuji than Nikon.

I guess what is more important than having an issue with a camera on release is how a company would deal with the issue to please buyers. Based on that I have more confident in Fuji than Nikon.

Why is that? Nikon fixed everyones cameras, even grey models in the case of the D750 and the D600 got repaired or replaced and clearly they changed their policy on recalls since that fiasco?

IMO they shouldve updated the 35 1.4 focus motor instead of making a 35 f2. Wouldve been great on this camera, the old lens is just to slow and anyone wanting the usual 50 fast prime only has a choice of slow focus or a bland f2.

Last edited:
IMO they shouldve updated the 35 1.4 focus motor instead of making a 35 f2. Wouldve been great on this camera, the old lens is just to slow and anyone wanting the usual 50 fast prime only has a choice of slow focus or a bland f2.

Agree, in the golden prime lens line up 14/16,23,35,56,90 the 35 is definitely showing it's age/technology.

Why is the f2 bland?

Most of the reviews I have read, rave about it.

Will hopefully be adding one to my camera soon :)

Do you shoot with a fuji, do you think it bland through personal experience?

Why is the f2 bland?

Most of the reviews I have read, rave about it.

Will hopefully be adding one to my camera soon :)

Do you shoot with a fuji, do you think it bland through personal experience?

Bland in terms of aperture. Which is why I said fast 50. I havent shot the 35 f2, but wouldnt, aperture is to slow for me for what Id use a '50mm' for. Not sure if youre asking because you think I havent used the system so Ill post what I have used quite extensively.

X100
X100s
XA1
XE1
XP1
XT1
XT10

18, 23, 27, 35, 56, 60 and 18-55.

Last edited:

Both Fuji (X-T1), Nikon (D750) were returned to me within a week, to be fair both companies were just as good.

Bland in terms of aperture. Which is why I said fast 50. I havent shot the 35 f2, but wouldnt, aperture is to slow for me for what Id use a '50mm' for. Not sure if youre asking because you think I havent used the system so Ill post what I have used quite extensively.

X100
X100s
XA1
XE1
XP1
XT1
XT10

18, 27, 35, 56, 60 and 18-55.
Ok thanks for the clarification. Just curious if you had some experience with the 35mm f2 as I am thinking of buying it, I have had the 35mm f1.4 but my copy was pretty soft. I also like the smaller (although not by much) form factor it is one of the reasons I use CSC's and why I almost changed to M43.

Both Fuji (X-T1), Nikon (D750) were returned to me within a week, to be fair both companies were just as good.

To be honest I wasn't talking about the D750. My experience with my first D800 was awful and Nikon took months to rectify the focusing issues

Ok thanks for the clarification. Just curious if you had some experience with the 35mm f2 as I am thinking of buying it, I have had the 35mm f1.4 but my copy was pretty soft. I also like the smaller (although not by much) form factor it is one of the reasons I use CSC's and why I almost changed to M43.

Ive had 3 or 4 35s, all have been excellent. Not as sharp as the 23 but still very sharp wide open. No reason to really buy a bigger lens unless you require what it offers.

Ive had 3 or 4 35s, all have been excellent. Not as sharp as the 23 but still very sharp wide open. No reason to really buy a bigger lens unless you require what it offers.

Back