Official Fuji X-Pro 2 thread

Folks,

Has anyone got an X-Pro2 and X-T2? If so then how do these compare to each other with their respective current firmware in terms of usage? I used to have an X-T2 but gave up photography. I've now just bought an X-Pro2 for street, some landscapes and the dogs. My main concern is how the X-Pro2 would handle the dogs running about for action shots. From videos I've watched on YouTube of reviewers using it for football it looks like it is as good as the X-T2 with the only differences being the style and video recording which I'm not really fussed about and is the reason I opted for the X-Pro2 in this instance.

Any comments on this would be appreciated! Cheers

Folks,

Has anyone got an X-Pro2 and X-T2? If so then how do these compare to each other with their respective current firmware in terms of usage? I used to have an X-T2 but gave up photography. I've now just bought an X-Pro2 for street, some landscapes and the dogs. My main concern is how the X-Pro2 would handle the dogs running about for action shots. From videos I've watched on YouTube of reviewers using it for football it looks like it is as good as the X-T2 with the only differences being the style and video recording which I'm not really fussed about and is the reason I opted for the X-Pro2 in this instance.

I have both.

In regards to focussing and action shots - same sensor , focus points, processor etc, so the only difference is in firmware or other accessories.

Both now have the selectable AF-C modes - the XT2 has an additional user configurable option, but I've never used it, so equivalent in my mind.
The XT2's AF speed is supposedly improved with the use of Boost mode with the additional grip (down from 0.08 sec to 0.06sec according to Fuji). That's 25% faster I suppose, but 25% of a small number is a small number!)

I can't say I've really noticed a difference, but to be honest, having both, I'd probably pick up the XT2 for action shots just because it's supposed to be better (I fell for the marketing!)

My use is more driven by the shooting environment - if I known I'm going to be on my knees trying to get low level shots, I'll use the XT2 because of the screen (and the fact my knees are pants!). Otherwise it's the X Pro2 because it's just a more comfortable camera to use (big nose!). I suspect the minimal increases the XT2 offers over the XPro2 for actions shots, I would not have bought one for that use alone.

The XT2 does appear to get the 'better' firmware upgrades though, which I find annoying, and I can't find any reason why those are not pushed to the X Pro2 / X100F, but they are not (AF selection modes, ISO via dial, tethered etc).

Last edited:
Folks,

I've previously had both and found the XT2 to be the better performer AF wise, its faster than the X-Pro 2 although it depends a lot on lenses too, the newer f2 primes and zooms are much better than some of the older lenses.

Folks,

I too have both. Whilst I'm not bothered about speed of focussing, I tend to choose the X-T2 when I want to use a zoom lens. As these tend to be larger they seem better balanced on this body. Plus I use the T2 when I need the tilty screen. Otherwise I tend to use the Pro2 on prime lenses, and for some reason this body just has a bigger "grin" factor. It maybe feels more like a film camera, which is what I grew up on 50 years ago!

As far as firmware goes, I notice no difference as I seldom use the added extras that these updates are supposed to bring, not being interested in tethering or focus tracking, or video if it comes to that. My only gripe about the X-Pro2 is the size of the rubber eyepiece, being a spectacles wearer. It could do with being larger. And before anyone says, I've tried the JJC rubbers and they are a load of pants.

I too have both. My preference is the X-Pro 2 , but as StephenL says the X-T2 especially with the battery grip balances better. But then it's in the Dslr ballpark size and weight wise. Plus the EVF is much bigger and brighter. But then there's no OVF. Performance wise I don't see any appreciable difference between the two (with the latest F/W's installed)
I'm happy to use my X-Pro 2 all day with either of my 2 biggest lenses fitted, the 16-50 f2.8 or the 55-200mm. Bottom line when I'm taking a camera out it's almost always the XP2, but like most things in life it's down to personal preference.
Use your XP2 enjoy it and see how you get on with it.

Thanks for the info on the XP2 folks. I'm not doing anything like I used to with the X-T2, it'll mainly be slow moving or static images I take as well a few of the dogs. My X-T2 without the grip was ace in the performance aspect for what I used it for so is the XP2 is on par or very close it should fulfill my needs. Plus I love the old school styling. Thanks again!

Last edited:
It's a promotion.

I guessed that :) I just wondered if there was a reason why they seem to be giving away for 35mm 1.4 for such a cheap price. Currys are the only retailer doing it, all the others are offering the standard buy one lens get the 50mm free.

I guessed that :) I just wondered if there was a reason why they seem to be giving away for 35mm 1.4 for such a cheap price. Currys are the only retailer doing it, all the others are offering the standard buy one lens get the 50mm free.

I've seen them do this offer quite a few times, no issues with the combo.

The 35mm F1.4 was a revelation to me on the xp2. I'd owned it previously and used it in my xp1 and it was slow. It's a great lens, it's a lot faster on the xp2 and produces lovely images.

GAS got the better of me and I (re)bought a 35mm F2 from the refurb store, this one seems a lot sharper than my previous one. I took some photos of the grandkids on Saturday, even though it focuses very fast, I still struggle to get sharp shots of kids..

DSCF2519 by Jimgallaher, on Flickr

GAS got the better of me and I (re)bought a 35mm F2 from the refurb store, this one seems a lot sharper than my previous one. I took some photos of the grandkids on Saturday, even though it focuses very fast, I still struggle to get sharp shots of kids..

DSCF2519 by Jimgallaher, on Flickr
Have you tried continuous AF?
What's the rest of the exif look like?

No I haven't yet tried continuous AF, it was a flying visit and I just grabbed my camera and fired off a few shots, mostly to try the new lens out. Not sure what you mean about the rest of the exif ?

No I haven't yet tried continuous AF, it was a flying visit and I just grabbed my camera and fired off a few shots, mostly to try the new lens out. Not sure what you mean about the rest of the exif ?
Shutter, aperture, straight to jpeg?, Focus distance, focus point (eye?) etc. Maybe it needs a little more stopping down for close focus.

Roll the dial on the front around to C, might yield a different result.

Folks,

I have both and find them both very quick. If you want to run and gun with a 40-150 on burst then yea the XT2 is great but removing all delays entirely by using the optical viewfinder on the xpro2 and infinity focus on the 23f1.4 leaves me with a camera that doesn't wait and never misses what ever it is I'm trying to shoot.

The xt2 was one of yours in fact and I've taken 27stills and about 6mins of video. That's not because the camera is no good, on paper it's the same in all ways as the xpro2 with the added benefits of a faster burst and a 4k video mode with log profile. It just doesn't suit my type of photography or what I want from a body nor does it invoke a want to get out there like the xpro2 does.

Being an SLR type body the xt2 does feel as though it stands out and I'm certainly noticed more with it and the XT1(or similar). The xpro2 and Xpro1 however seem to be more accepted when out in the streets and because of this I have found I capture more candid moments drawing far less nagtive attention to myself from a very judgemental uk public.

Just updated the xpro2 to the latest firmware alongside the xt2. I always wait a little while just on the chance of teething issues and I have to say that I am incredibly impressed. The additional features are very welcome although I shall probably never use them. I just wish they would add the facility to check shutter count by stills taken and total count to include sensor cleaning etc. It's nice to have enough changes and added features to keep you occupied for a good couple of hours whilst you work them out and I'm glad fuji can do this without the need to release a new body. It's the small things like that that help keep the spark alive as I'm now thinking of ways to see if I can benefit from these additions even though in all likelihood I probably won't. Off to charge the go pro as I'm paragliding first thing tomorrow!!

Last edited:
There's a little bug that iirc was introduced in the penultimate FW, but it only happens in a very particular usage, and not with all lenses (basically it involves focus creep when using manual focus, half pressing the shutter and not taking a shot)

Fuji tell me it will be fixed in the next FW

I'd like to see a shutter count too, as file number is not very accurate if you start (say) making sooc jpegs from the raf using the in-camera raw convertor the file number goes up but without touching the button!

It's great that using the film simulation bracketing now gives a raw file, but (slightly strangely) it will give you 3 raw files from one shot, so another reason why file number isn't that accurate as a shutter count

Intuitively you'd think that a true shutter count shouldn't be beyond the wit of Fuji, but I guess it would have to ignore any electronic shutter use

Personally, and I mean personally - we all have different wants and wish lists, and at the end of the day we bought a camera "as spec'd" not because of what it might have in the future - but nevertheless I'd like to see them improve some of the generic X-Pro2 functions (The OVF is hard to read in sunlight, the histogram and shutter lag in magnified ERF mode needs attention and I preferred how the preview DOF worked on the XP1) rather than continue to port functionality over from the XT2.

But as I say, this is just me - I know many people really want more of the XT2 features (4k & tethering) on the XP2!

There doesn't seem to be a way of recording shutter count realistically - you want it but I hate it. The X100S that I had was famous for giving a very high shutter count (6x the image number). Yes, I know that when you turn it on it opens the shutter and when you take the photo, it closes, opens, closes and then opens again and I know other things add to the count (eg. playback) but hey ho, a shutter count of 24000 for just 4000 images is ridiculous. My X100F was slightly better at around 2x the image number. Personally, I'd rather buy secondhand equipment on condition than on shutter count

I understand that there is a shutter count recorded by the camera, but it's not in the "normal" metadata we can access; rather it's only accessible by the service department.

I too have both. Whilst I'm not bothered about speed of focussing, I tend to choose the X-T2 when I want to use a zoom lens. As these tend to be larger they seem better balanced on this body. Plus I use the T2 when I need the tilty screen. Otherwise I tend to use the Pro2 on prime lenses, and for some reason this body just has a bigger "grin" factor. It maybe feels more like a film camera, which is what I grew up on 50 years ago!

As far as firmware goes, I notice no difference as I seldom use the added extras that these updates are supposed to bring, not being interested in tethering or focus tracking, or video if it comes to that. My only gripe about the X-Pro2 is the size of the rubber eyepiece, being a spectacles wearer. It could do with being larger. And before anyone says, I've tried the JJC rubbers and they are a load of pants.
rubber pants lol

I was thinking along those lines myself, my X-T2 rarely sees daylight.

I much prefer using the X-Pro2 over my X-T1, despite it having advantages such as a tilty screen. The Pro2 (and 1) just have soul.

Edit : sorry, senior day, meant to say X-T2!

Last edited:
I much prefer using the X-Pro2 over my X-T1, despite it having advantages such as a tilty screen. The Pro2 (and 1) just have soul.

Wish the viewfinder was larger.
Other than that, i think the pro 2 is the nicest camera I've had my hands on. Beautiful bit of kit

I imagine there may be a few X-T2's on classifieds after the update, mine for one ! It's a lovely camera, I just prefer the X-Pro 2

I imagine there may be a few X-T2's on classifieds after the update, mine for one ! It's a lovely camera, I just prefer the X-Pro 2
That's exactly why I'll be moving the xt2 on. It's a shame the update came so late though.. 18montsh after release is pretty bad when others in the range have it. It's supposed to be the flagship model.

That's exactly why I'll be moving the xt2 on. It's a shame the update came so late though.. 18montsh after release is pretty bad when others in the range have it. It's supposed to be the flagship model.

It's great that they are doing the update though. Any other company would have just said wait for the pro 3.
Yet another af update is coming too. It's all good stuff

Back