OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

This Arrived this morning...

Kodak No.1 Autographic Junior 120 Medium Format 6x9 Camera
by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Seems okay - cleaned up the lens and the various framing viewfinders which were absolutely boggin, dusted it down and gave the bellows the good old torch-test which it seems to have passed by and large, and I reckon even though it was bought more as a "prop" for a shoot I've been asked to do, it'd be a shame not to at least throw a roll of something or other through it...

Has it still got the little stylus that fits in the back?

I miss loaded a roll in Iceland and only realised after it didn't stop around 36. It hadn't caught properly on the wind on spool but I've rewound it into the canister and it's completely unexposed. Good job I can't remember what I may have pointed it at! Ha

Do you have a leader retriever, Gareth? Pretty sure I've got one kicking around in the back of a drawer somewhere if not. Then again, postage both ways would probably cost more than buying one anyway! (If you've got a local D&P place, they might fish it out for you if you get a fillum developed there...)

Looks like 'great minds think alike'... or is it 'fools seldom differ'

Ensign 320 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Ross Ensign 320. Looks in good nick for its age. I'll give it a thorough spring clean and check the bellows then throw a fillum in it and see what develops. :D

Photos in relation to my last post in this thread:

Street kit is now:

Leica M6
Leica 35mm Summarit-M f/2.5
Leica 50mm Elmar-M f/2.8
Leica Grip-M
Artisan Obscura 'King Louie' Ebony wood soft release
Harry Benz 'La Cravate' Water Buffalo leather wrist strap
Billingham Hadley Digital bag

The strap is the most supple leather strap I've ever felt. Truly beautiful. I can not recommend Harry Benz enough. Comes with a hand written note from Harry. Nice touch.

I am loving the wooden soft release. Feels 'right'. Comes on a block of wood. Nice, funny little touch.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Last edited:
Love it. Shane. If you're going to accessorize a Leica, then hand-made and stylish is the way to go.

Pure decadence. Love it.

Wat...lol

just the non digital Loui Vuitton platinum clasp Nile crocodile skin bag to get then...:D

Very nice Shane! Does the wood soft release grip the thread well? Having lost a couple of enamelled ones from my x100 I could be tempted by these!

Do you have a leader retriever, Gareth?

A cheaper way to retrieve the film leader from a 35mm canister is to get a short length of film and wet it (under the tap, not with your tongue is tastes horrible) and push the wet film through the light trap - it will stick to the film inside, then slowly remove it and the end of the main length of film should come out too.

Hi Brian.

Yep having lost many a soft release, I too was worried how long it would be before the release came off the camera.

(On the M6) I need not have worried. So far its been rock solid. You do get 2 tiny rubber O rings to help keep the release locked on, but I haven't had the need to use one.

Mine is the larger of 2 sizes available. The finish of the patterning is top rate. The wood just feels really nice.

Go on Dean, you know you want one. :)

Oh, I do, I really do. Specifically an M6 TTL (for the larger shutter speed dial) with 0.85 viewfinder, preferably a black one. There's a chrome one for sale on another forum but I think the chap's being a bit optimistic with the price, at least that's what I'm telling myself... :D

Oh, I do, I really do.

Me too and I could justify the cost of a body and one lens but I know that would be just the start of it ...

Selling my Leica R outfit of two bodies and three lenses would probably only cover the cost of an M6 body. :(

I've managed to pick up a kodak retinette. Shutter seems to fire ok, though the speed/aperture arrangement threw me a little. I'm hoping to run a film through it tomorrow, if I can get out of the house for a bit.

No idea how some of the bits work. The filter holder/bellows thing (left of photo) - anyone have any idea about that? I have a load of drop-in vignettes and glass filters for it, but no idea how to attach it to the camera - assume the lens goes on the front of it? Also, the prism finder - are these meant to be metered? Or are only some of them metered?

No idea how some of the bits work. The filter holder/bellows thing (left of photo) - anyone have any idea about that? I have a load of drop-in vignettes and glass filters for it, but no idea how to attach it to the camera - assume the lens goes on the front of it? Also, the prism finder - are these meant to be metered? Or are only some of them metered?

For most Bronica lenses, you need a 67mm adaptor ring to connect the Bronica professional lens hood (compendium shade) to the lenses themselves. If your kit doesn't include one, I think you can just use a Cokin P-series adaptor ring instead (e.g., http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-cokin-p467-67mm-p-series-adapter-ring/p1000772). The hood goes on the adaptor ring which is screwed into the front filter thread of the lens. It should work with any SQ-series lens between 50mm-250mm, I think. The 50 PS lens will require a 77mm adaptor ring though.

The SQ lenses it definitely won't work with are the 35mm, 40mm, 500mm, and the SQ-series zoom lenses, I believe.

As for the meters, there are a number of both metered and non-metered varieties. I've owned both, including a metered chimney finder, but only currently have a non-metered eye-level prism finder. I don't find any prism very useful personally as the waist level finder offers far more magnification with the pop-up magnifier (3x compared to only .8x with the eye-level prisms) and much greater levels of brightness. I only use my prism when I absolutely require eye-level viewing... which is about never.

Last edited:
Right, here we are, got this lot and another praktica that had sadly passed on at last weeks boot sale. I'm rather happy with that

Olympus did produce a spate of odd/ugly attempts .. but they weren't alone.

The O-Product had something quite cool about it though.

Back