OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

@skysh4rk RJ, these are stunners and the Cinestill idiosyncracies only add to the subject! that last one is pure Ridley Scott!

Thanks, @Jao. I'm pretty happy with this first batch of photographs from the camera, especially as I've never used a rangefinder before and typically prefer waist level finders.

With regard to the 800T, it has worked pretty well in these shots and I like that it's tungsten balanced. Where I think this film really struggles is with shots (e.g., large-aperture portraits) featuring out-of-focus highlights. The halo effects from the bokeh can be distracting.

Reactions: Jao
So a manager I worked for until last year has donated to me his old vivitar v635 camera and a few lenses. I can find precisely naff all about this camera except that it was made by cosina and uses a pentax k mount.
Even the mighty butkus doesn't have a manual for it, so I'm sort of just... guessing.
Also looks like the Miranda MS-3 body going off the pictures on Google, so might be worth having a squizz at that manual on butkus.

Having only recent started with this malarky I'm quite excited: this morning the postman brought a Cosmic-35, an Ilford Sportsman, and a Balda Baldessa F-LK. I really like the idea of seeing what I can do with the cameras of the 1960s that were bought by people (men?) who wanted something that would give them photos that were 'better than snaps', but didn't consider themselves 'photographers' (rather like me).
The Cosmic/Smena seems to be in excellent condition with a sparkling case; the Ilford (Prontor 125) is clean, but is obviously well used - and the film advance doesn't automatically spring back into position (without a film in place) so there may be a broken spring in there; the Baldessa is a thing of beauty, but I'm loath to take it into the wild as it hasn't got a case.

I should get them in the post on Monday but I've got a couple of new toys coming;

- Olympus OM40 which I don't really want so I'll probably be putting it in the freebies section here.

- Tamron 24mm 2.5 that comes with the OM40 which I do really want and I'll be using it on my new A7 (digital, shhh)

- I'm also currently in discussion about an Olympus 35/2.8 Shift lens which could be fun for architecture shooting. I'll know about that on Tuesday :0)

Aaaah, don't you love it when a seller forgets to mention that a lens is riddled with fungus...I guess the Tamron/OM40 will be going back then [emoji35]

Aaaah, don't you love it when a seller forgets to mention that a lens is riddled with fungus...I guess the Tamron/OM40 will be going back then [emoji35]
Not sure what your budget is but the Minolta MD or MC Rokkor 24mm is a great lens. I think they can be adapted to Sony mount now? I don't plan to part with mine anytime soon [emoji5]. It's probably my favourite Rokkor that I own.

Not sure what your budget is but the Minolta MD or MC Rokkor 24mm is a great lens. I think they can be adapted to Sony mount now? I don't plan to part with mine anytime soon [emoji5]. It's probably my favourite Rokkor that I own.

Cheers. I bought the camera for the lens so I could use it on my new A7 and had been looking at OM 28/2.8's before then. Not the end of the world and the seller has agreed to a full refund so more annoying than anything.

Cheers. I bought the camera for the lens so I could use it on my new A7 and had been looking at OM 28/2.8's before then. Not the end of the world and the seller has agreed to a full refund so more annoying than anything.

If I'd known you wanted an olympus OM fit 28mm you could have had the one in the collection I've just hoofed off to Ffordes. I was given it so you could have had it for postage costs....:oops: :$

Courtesy of a very nice man from eBay I now have a Voigtlander Color Skopar 35mm f2.5 lens in LTM (the first version with focus ring rather than tab). I think I did well for the price and it came with an official Voigtlander M mount adapter, lens hood and B+W IR UV filter. I can't wait to get out with it now!

Ica Icarette medium format camera. Body and lens serial numbers say it was made in 1925. According to my Ica catalogue for that year, it has both the wrong lens and wrong shutter for the models on sale that year.

The camera has a pre-existing repair to the bellows I need to attend to before I try the camera with film.

Well I've been waiting for years for this extender to turn up at the bootie, anyway gave up and bought off the bay for £9.99 + £2.90 postage (well assuming it doesn't get lost in the post)...h'mm strange I was the only bidder as they usually go for a lot more, what have I missed :eek:
extender.jpg

New lens day:

KjxI6Hr.jpg

Pentax 67 55~100mm f/4.5. The combo is sitting on top of a 15 inch MacBook Pro for reference although the distortion exaggerates the size - it'd cover a 13 inch easily though.

Very heavy lens (1.2kg!) but the quality is just as good as the equivalent primes so in a way I'm actually saving weight (A 55+75+100 combo is about 1.8kg). I end up hitting the 105/2.4s minimum focus distance of 1m quite often when doing portraits, the new zoom close focuses to 0.6m across the range which is a step up for the 105 and 75 it replaces (but a step back at the wide end, since the 55 close focuses to 0.4m)

New lens day:

KjxI6Hr.jpg

Pentax 67 55~100mm f/4.5. The combo is sitting on top of a 15 inch MacBook Pro for reference although the distortion exaggerates the size - it'd cover a 13 inch easily though.

Very heavy lens (1.2kg!) but the quality is just as good as the equivalent primes so in a way I'm actually saving weight (A 55+75+100 combo is about 1.8kg). I end up hitting the 105/2.4s minimum focus distance of 1m quite often when doing portraits, the new zoom close focuses to 0.6m across the range which is a step up for the 105 and 75 it replaces (but a step back at the wide end, since the 55 close focuses to 0.4m)

I have one of those lenses as well :D

Very nice

I just bought this Tamron SP 35-80 f2.8-3.8 BBAR 01A from a charity shop this afternoon. It had a Contax/Yahica mount on it but for now I'm trying it on my F3.

IMAG0279_1_1.jpg

The lens can close focus to about 27cm/11 inches.

Last edited:
Well I've been waiting for years for this extender to turn up at the bootie, anyway gave up and bought off the bay for £9.99 + £2.90 postage (well assuming it doesn't get lost in the post)...h'mm strange I was the only bidder as they usually go for a lot more, what have I missed :eek:
View attachment 107273

Well it's arrived and will give me something to do to compare it with primes e.g. 100mm lens on the A1 and will compare with the 200mm prime..probably test it on the Nex 3 first to make sure it's not optical faulty.
IMG_9733.JPG

Well I have that one too, and is quite a good zoom
I also have a Tamron SP 70-150mm f2.8 21A, a 24mm f2.5 CW-24, a 135mm f2.8 CT-135, 2x 85-210mm f4.5, a 300mm f5.6 CT-300 and a Tamron-F 200mm f3.5.

I have adapters for Nikon, Pentax, Minolta SR, Konica, Contax/Yashica, Olympus, Canon FD and M42 so far. One of the reasons I have duplicate lenses was because I wanted the adapter and the lens was cheap. In fact the cheapest was the 24mm at £2 with an FD adapter.

Tamron lenses are great when you have cameras from multiple makers.

I also have a Tamron SP 70-150mm f2.8 21A, a 24mm f2.5 CW-24, a 135mm f2.8 CT-135, 2x 85-210mm f4.5, a 300mm f5.6 CT-300 and a Tamron-F 200mm f3.5.

I have adapters for Nikon, Pentax, Minolta SR, Konica, Contax/Yashica, Olympus, Canon FD and M42 so far. One of the reasons I have duplicate lenses was because I wanted the adapter and the lens was cheap. In fact the cheapest was the 24mm at £2 with an FD adapter.

Tamron lenses are great when you have cameras from multiple makers.

All the Tamrons I have are good lenses and good for closeups, but I suppose a pixel peeper would say hey for example the 28mm ain't as good as a Zeiss Distagon 28mm LOL but they go for peanuts in comparison.
....a coincidence a guy has just posted up shots of the 01a on a digi
http://forum.mflenses.com/dh88-comet-tamron-01a-on-nikon-d3-t77769.html

Last edited:
Two Olympus Trip 35s, the older silver button one seems to be OK, but the newer black button one isn't showing the red flag as it should.

I've just bought another Nimslo 3D for another project. I've got my "HolSlo 2D" here with a Holga 60mm lens mounted on it but have wanted to build another one with a better lens for a while;

HolSlo 2D Finished by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

Now I've got the Angulon 90/6.8 I'm going to print a new lens mount and fit the lens to a smaller lens board so I can transfer it between 35mm and Large Format :0)

Needs to be wider, I was thinking a sekor 65 tlr lens might cover a 70mm wide 35 frame, it fits in a 6x6 image circle but I dunno what the edge drop off will be like.
55 would be even better but its dearer and I'm not down with the distortion it produces despite the correction.
The 90 angulon will be bonza but its a be long for me...:)

ohh, tell you what I did buy, which is probably destined for a shelf, Koni omega hexanon 58, but the shutter trigger needs a hammer to operate it, its probably a substantial lump of engineering in the koni omega that fires the shutter, its not really suited to a lightweight RF conversion.

Last edited:
Needs to be wider, I was thinking a sekor 65 tlr lens might cover a 70mm wide 35 frame, it fits in a 6x6 image circle but I dunno what the edge drop off will be like.
55 would be even better but its dearer and I'm not down with the distortion it produces despite the correction.
The 90 angulon will be bonza but its a be long for me...:)

Yeah, the Angulon is a bit long but it's the only LF lens I've got at the moment so it will have to do! I'm going to print a new housing to account for the 90mm flange depth and will also cut a teeny lens board so I don't need to mount the lens permanently.

I have finally managed to get a Voigtlander Bessamatic in minty condition with everything working.

Bessie by Andy, on Flickr

A brilliant piece of metal.

I have finally managed to get a Voigtlander Bessamatic in minty condition with everything working.

A brilliant piece of metal.
The best way to keep that complicated shutter mechanism working well is frequent use!
Apart from the weight, I really like my Bessamatic.

The best way to keep that complicated shutter mechanism working well is frequent use!
Apart from the weight, I really like my Bessamatic.

I agree. At one time I had a nice little Bessamatic kit with numerous lenses snd accessories but I stopped shooting 35mm so sold it. Glad I decided to get another.
It came with a 35mm f3.4 skoparet for a Vitessa, beautiful little lens and again in minty condition. Might have to get a Vitessa then. :D

IMG_0407.jpg

Arrived this morning. Decided I fancied an XA of some description on Thursday. Spotted one on Ffordes on Friday. XA original arrived today :) It looks well used but Ffordes do actually seem to test and repair stuff they sell so I know it will work properly. Decided on the original as it has the manual backlight compensation and is slightly faster with the f2.8 lens.

Famous last words. It seems to be faulty. Shutter only seems to fire when the back is open. No idea what I'm doing wrong.

Shutter seems to fire when there isn't a film in. I had a devil of a job trying to load the film. The new seal thing seems to make the back really difficult to shut.

Got it now. It's the film wind on. It's a bit horrid to be honest. Managed to load film properly. It feels like the film is slipping more than it should. I'm hoping it will be a bit better when it's been used a bit more.

I think it's going to take about 3 rolls to decide whether I like it or not!

Last edited:
Today's flea market find was a Rolleiflex SL35M. It came with an Auto Makinon 75-150mm f4.5 zoom for £20. All the speeds appear to be working, not sure about the self timer but I can live without it.

I haven't tested the meter yet, but I believe it took a mercury battery so an lr44 adjusted should do.
608166de3045e33d7539b2582e7b3e9f.jpg

Today's flea market find was a Rolleiflex SL35M. It came with an Auto Makinon 75-150mm f4.5 zoom for £20. All the speeds appear to be working, not sure about the self timer but I can live without it.

I haven't tested the meter yet, but I believe it took a mercury battery so an lr44 adjusted should do.
608166de3045e33d7539b2582e7b3e9f.jpg

I very nearly bought just this model on ebay yesterday but with a Voigtlander 50mm f1.8 Color Ultron lens but I decided it was too much, still time to change my mind though as it is a very nice looking camera. (y)

I very nearly bought just this model on ebay yesterday but with a Voigtlander 50mm f1.8 Color Ultron lens but I decided it was too much, still time to change my mind though as it is a very nice looking camera. (y)
It is, I saw that when I was browsing looking at lenses. I think the Voigtlander VSL1 is a based on this isn't it?

It is, I saw that when I was browsing looking at lenses. I think the Voigtlander VSL1 is a based on this isn't it?

Possibly the other way around. I think after Rollei acquired Voigtlander they copied a few of the Voigtlander cameras and lenses as they had fallen behind the Japanese, especially in 35mm. The other Rollei 35's were almost all flawed but the 35M was a comparative success. I'm talking myself into it now. :D

Back