OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Possibly the other way around. I think after Rollei acquired Voigtlander they copied a few of the Voigtlander cameras and lenses as they had fallen behind the Japanese, especially in 35mm. The other Rollei 35's were almost all flawed but the 35M was a comparative success. I'm talking myself into it now. :D
The camerapedia link says they were released at the same time, mine has a label stuck inside saying 4.6.1977

I've just bought a boxed Tamron Adaptall 2 mount to Rollei QBM for £6 + p&p. Most of the others are well over £20, though there is another at £10 if any one is looking.

Well I got 6 625A batteries from ebay for around £2.50 including postage and my Rolleiflex is metering fine.

I've compared it to the lightmeter, set to 200ASA, on my phone and they agree when I adjust the camera to 100ASA to compensate for the extra voltage.

Can't wait to get out and put a roll through it. All seems to be in check, so bring on the weekend!

I was supposed to be cutting back and yet I seem to have acquired a Mamiya RZ67 pro ii kit. It came with 110mm (2.8) and 65mm (4) lenses, AE prism finder, 2 x 120mm backs, Polaroid back and lens hood. I'm taking it out for a test run tomorrow to check that everything works and to see if I can get on with it. It feels very nice to play with, just not sure if I will enjoy carrying it around.

Well bought a Sunpak 6464 as new tripod at the bootie for £3.50...do I really need it NAH! but like my slik 35d, it has detachable screw mount that fits to the camera (with spirit level)..saves fiddling around screwing the camera to the tripod.

I bought another Rolleiflex, an SL35E this time, for £5. The battery check doesn't respond though and the mirror is up.

I also got a Pentax AF130P flash for the Auto 110 for £1.

yet another mju2

1.99 from Launceston red cross on Friday

I get all giddy when I see em.......till they don't work properly

well, I've run a film through it but I'm up to my eyeballs with film that needs souping
dunno why I keep buying em, its quite obvious I prefer the mju1

duh

Another Minolta Dynax 7xi complete with Minolta 35-80mm f4-5.6 for £25 from the flea market. That's the lens with the built in lens cap.

I also got a Minolta 35-70mm f4 macro Beercan lens for £7.99 from Cash Converters and a Canon 50mm f1.8 FDn with 1980 olympics cap for £10 from Tyne Bargains.

The Minolta stuff is all working fine. Still not got it all home yet though as I went straight to a 1:30-10PM shift.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Talk Photography Forums mobile app

No problems with the Canon lens either. I was just a bit apprehensive about it because it was £10 and they specified no warranty. The lens and cap looked new, and I thought I'd seen the cap for sale for £10-15 on ebay, so worst case scenario I paid £10 for a lens cap.

When I got it home I put it on my m43 adapter and checked it. No marks, dust or fungus. Well maybe a bit of dust on the filter but none on the lens. It also came with a rubber lens hood.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Talk Photography Forums mobile app

yet another mju2

1.99 from Launceston red cross on Friday

I get all giddy when I see em.......till they don't work properly

well, I've run a film through it but I'm up to my eyeballs with film that needs souping
dunno why I keep buying em, its quite obvious I prefer the mju1

duh
To answer the question of why you keep buying them, I sold mine on ebay for £130 recently. That's not a bad return on a £1.99 investment. ;)

To answer the question of why you keep buying them, I sold mine on ebay for £130 recently. That's not a bad return on a £1.99 investment. ;)
I agree, I've seen them advertised for £150-190 on there recently. I sold mine for about £90 each a year ago and the only one I've seen since didn't work.

I did get my £5 Rolleiflex SL35E working though, with the help of a fresh battery and some very careful manipulation of the shutter, which hadn't completed it's cycle. Now it's working great.

Next payday I'll get a 50mm f1.8 for the SL35E and SL35M. Until then I have a variety of Tamron lenses, and the Auto Makinon 70-150 zoom that came with the M.

Well, yeah, its a consideration but primarily its about bettering the mju1, I'm not really fussed about resale value tbh.
Anyway, it has to work properly to be worth anything, I've shot a roll with it and if I'm totally honest, I doubt I'll be shooting it instead of the mju1 regardless of its output, I think I've hit the buffers with bonza optic compacts...:)

Well i've just scratched an itch. Ive always liked the look of the Rolleiflex sl35m and after Steve's post about his above I went a'lookin. Anyway, on a well known auction site I found one that looks immaculate, with its original case and with a Voigtlander Color Ultron lens which I believe is a stunner. Damn ebaying after an alcoholic lunch. :D

Well I had a good shopping trip on eBay.

I got:
Jobo c6700 colour enlarger set with loads of useful stuff like trays, mask frame, safe light etc.
Helios 44 -2
f2 58mm
Meyer Optik Gorlitz DOMIPLAN
f2.8 50mm
Meyer Optik Gorlitz Lydith (Pentacon)
f3 30mm
Sekonic Light meter L308s

I got:
Jobo c6700 colour enlarger set with loads of useful stuff like trays, mask frame, safe light etc.
Helios 44 -2
f2 58mm
f2.8 50mm
f3 30mm

Did you get a lens with the enlarger ?

I got:
Helios 44 -2
f2 58mm
f2.8 50mm
f3 30mm
I got a Meyer Optik Lydith 30mm f3.5 with my Edixa-mat Kadette a couple of years back. I haven't really used either much though.

I have plenty of eos cameras, even a digital eos, though I don't discriminate when it comes to digital either, I also have a Lumix and a Nikon.

All of them probably fall into the category of vintage digital if you go by their ages. I can adapt or use my lenses on them (as if I don't have enough film cameras to use them on!)

I don't think I ever got round to buying an m42 to EF adapter. I have an m42 to FD and an FD to M43 I could couple together. The m42 to FD is the original Canon adapter and was attached to a £5 zoom lens from a charity shop.

A Voigtlander Bessa from (probably) 1939. It is in nearly new condition including the yellow filter that always gets broken off. Even came in its original box!

Currently has a roll of Ilford FP4+ in it.

bessa.jpgbessa 1.jpg

A Voigtlander Bessa from (probably) 1939. It is in nearly new condition including the yellow filter that always gets broken off. Even came in its original box!

Currently has a roll of Ilford FP4+ in it.

View attachment 109803View attachment 109804

Is that the one they call the baby bessa, 6x6 on 120 film? I had one and for the age and size it produced some lovely shots.

Not sure to what degree this is a bargain as i was only after a rokkor MD 50mm f1.7 but for £40 i have ended up with the following -

Minolta X300 plus manual
Minolta Rokkor MD 50mm f1.7
Minolta MD 35-70mm f3.5 macro
Sirius 80-200mm f3.9
Miranda 400 CB flash

I'd say that's a bargain. I'm sure if you listed the remaining bits you would get all your money back.

***Edit. There was a forum post the other day from a member wanting advice on Minolta lenses as she has just bought an X300. She might be interested if you want to sell the other lenses.

Last edited:
I'd say that's a bargain. I'm sure if you listed the remaining bits you would get all your money back.

Not bad at all then.
I'm thinking I will keep the 50mm and the 35-70mm.
I may keep the X300 and have a play with some film.
the sirius and flash I will probably pass on for a nominal amount as they don't interest me as much as the other stuff.

I have only been on this forum a couple of days. Indeed, this is only my third post and my first in a 'proper' thread rather than the welcome one. So, three posts and as many days on the forum and I have a complaint.

For the last few years I have enjoyed my digital photography. Now, I am not a great photographer but I enjoy what I do. My photography has, to some extent, been influenced by my days shooting film. I am a huge fan of black and white and I believe this stems from my early days shooting nothing but FP4 and TriX. I have even setup a custom B&W setting on my current LX100 which I use most of the time.

So, I have been happy doing what I do then I join this forum. I gravitated to this thread like a moth to a flame, or should I say lamb to the slaughter. Three days in, three posts in and I have a FED4 on its way from a well known auction site.

I have not shot a roll of film for more years than I can remember, I have no idea how or where I will get film processed and scanned. To be honest, I don't even really know if the camera will work. However, I don't care. It is now my ambition to shoot some film and there will be no stopping me.

I just want you all to know it is your fault and you should be ashamed of yourselves for leading this vunarable astray........

I have only been on this forum a couple of days. Indeed, this is only my third post and my first in a 'proper' thread rather than the welcome one. So, three posts and as many days on the forum and I have a complaint.

For the last few years I have enjoyed my digital photography. Now, I am not a great photographer but I enjoy what I do. My photography has, to some extent, been influenced by my days shooting film. I am a huge fan of black and white and I believe this stems from my early days shooting nothing but FP4 and TriX. I have even setup a custom B&W setting on my current LX100 which I use most of the time.

So, I have been happy doing what I do then I join this forum. I gravitated to this thread like a moth to a flame, or should I say lamb to the slaughter. Three days in, three posts in and I have a FED4 on its way from a well known auction site.

I have not shot a roll of film for more years than I can remember, I have no idea how or where I will get film processed and scanned. To be honest, I don't even really know if the camera will work. However, I don't care. It is now my ambition to shoot some film and there will be no stopping me.

I just want you all to know it is your fault and you should be ashamed of yourselves for leading this vunarable astray........
Hi Graham, I'd advise you to worry. You will soon have a shelf full... Lol [emoji16]

For mail order film developing I'd recommend Filmdev. Although there's a thread in this forum section which discusses the many options. Personally I request unsharpened scans as I prefer to gently sharpen my own files rather than rely on their automatic software.

The Fed is a rough and ready beast. Squinty viewfinder, awkward to use and sometimes unlikely to work depending upon quality control. If it does work however they are great fun to use, a good conversation starter and produce images with character. You will probably need a handheld lightmeter. You can go Russian (cheap and probably reliable if you get a later model), old school Weston Master (I have one, still reliable and nicely made. Cheap also) or go newer with something simple like a Sekonic L-308s (Harrison cameras in Sheffield had/ may still have one for sale with 12 month warranty for £75 which I'd say is a bargain. I paid over £100 from eBay for mine).

I hope that you fall lucky with your Fed and look forward to seeing your results!

AG Photographic for both film and developing.

Welcome aboard Graham and good luck. I had a similar experience about 6 years ago, I inadvertently stumbled into this section, a young and innocent digital photographer (well old and cynical actually) and one of the evil old film photographers insisted on sending me a Nikon f301 for just postage costs and that I'm afraid was that. I now own far too many film cameras and lenses and spend more time browsing ebay than is considered reasonable. I even have an old large format beast. I see a slippery slope in your future. :D

Lol, thanks guys. I used to have a Fed and a Zorki 4 many years ago (yes I am checking out eBay for a Zorki but I will wait and see how I get on with the Fed), I started off in photography with a Zenith SLR and have some fond memories of it.

I do, fortunately, have a Seconic hand held lightmeter that I occasionally use for flash but mostly for tabletop/product/food photography so I will be ok on that front.

One question though, may be off topic, but what resolution should I look for in scanning? I will not be printing, just on screen and sharing online.

Graham, there's a sticky near the top that includes a number of "resources" including a thread for "First film camera ever, or for many years". It's a bit out dated, but I think still helpful. In the first post of the "Film processing in the UK" thread, you'll also find a link to the nifty processing cost calculator, which might help you choose from the many excellent processing labs. (I too use Filmdev for C41 and occasional black and white, but Peak for E6 transparency film.)

Lol, thanks guys. I used to have a Fed and a Zorki 4 many years ago (yes I am checking out eBay for a Zorki but I will wait and see how I get on with the Fed), I started off in photography with a Zenith SLR and have some fond memories of it.

I do, fortunately, have a Seconic hand held lightmeter that I occasionally use for flash but mostly for tabletop/product/food photography so I will be ok on that front.

One question though, may be off topic, but what resolution should I look for in scanning? I will not be printing, just on screen and sharing online.

If scanning myself I use 2400 ppi for reasonable shots, 1200 for rubbish shots just as place markers, and ones I like I might scan at 3600 ppi. From a lab I usually go for a medium resolution scan, which is usually 2000 ppi but occasionally 1800 ppi. Although it costs a bit more, it's much more flexible for later processing.

Lots of folk say scan to TIFF rather than JPEG. I did some tests with 8-bit TIFFs and never (*) found a situation that made a difference so I use JPEGs. 16-bit TIFFs might be different.

*There is one situation: when using Color Perfect you scan a C41 negative as a positive TIFF, feed it into PS then into Color Perfect; that gives the best colour rendition available. But I get my C41 scans done in the lab because Color Perfect is too much faff and for many films results with Vuescan are not too good.

Back