OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

If scanning myself I use 2400 ppi for reasonable shots, 1200 for rubbish shots just as place markers, and ones I like I might scan at 3600 ppi. From a lab I usually go for a medium resolution scan, which is usually 2000 ppi but occasionally 1800 ppi. Although it costs a bit more, it's much more flexible for later processing.

Lots of folk say scan to TIFF rather than JPEG. I did some tests with 8-bit TIFFs and never (*) found a situation that made a difference so I use JPEGs. 16-bit TIFFs might be different.

*There is one situation: when using Color Perfect you scan a C41 negative as a positive TIFF, feed it into PS then into Color Perfect; that gives the best colour rendition available. But I get my C41 scans done in the lab because Color Perfect is too much faff and for many films results with Vuescan are not too good.

Great info Chris, many thanks.

But it's only got one lens? :confused:

Very nice all the same, will look forward to seeing the results from it. (y)

No, I meant it can only wear one at a time!

Actually, I imagine you know exactly what I meant, so don't go telling Mrs Snap it was me that goaded you into buying a wide angle and medium tele for it. Well, not till after the September meet anyway! :D

Last edited:
No, I meant it can only wear one at a time!

Actually, I imagine you know exactly what I meant, so don't go telling Mrs Snap it was me that goaded you into buying a wide angle and medium tele for it. Well, not till after the September meet anyway! :D

Mrs Snap knows that he doesn't need any goading into buying more stuff :rolleyes::mad::bat:

As the saying goes: "He who dies with the most toys wins!"

However, by the looks of that baseball bat the final 'toy audit' might be a tad closer than Andy anticipated! :runaway: :exit:

The Fed has arrived two days early and, it appears, in great condition for its age.

There are mo marks on or in the lens, the light meter works and all the mechanics feel surprisingly smooth. No dirt in the film compartment and the iris and focus is smooth. Rangefinder works, thankfully so does the diopter adjustment so I can use it without scratching my glasses to bits.

I know it has been a long time since I used one of these but it all came flooding back. Apart from remembering how heavy it is. It does have the brown leather case which is a bit scuffed but not too bad

Looking forward to getting a film through it to give it a proper test.

Fed 4-1 by Graham Thompson

Fed 4-2 by Graham Thompson

Fed 4-3 by Graham Thompson

The Fed has arrived two days early and, it appears, in great condition for its age.

There are mo marks on or in the lens, the light meter works and all the mechanics feel surprisingly smooth. No dirt in the film compartment and the iris and focus is smooth. Rangefinder works, thankfully so does the diopter adjustment so I can use it without scratching my glasses to bits.

I know it has been a long time since I used one of these but it all came flooding back. Apart from remembering how heavy it is. It does have the brown leather case which is a bit scuffed but not too bad

I have one of these I got in the 80s, it was my only rangefinder for years but I didn't use it much once I got my Praktica BX20 kit.

I'm guessing Colorado Upfront is down to predictive text it's Color Ultron isn't it?

Yes, I have changed on flickr.... bloody annoyed I didn't spot it before posting although I thin it might be the name of my next band. :D

I have one of these I got in the 80s, it was my only rangefinder for years but I didn't use it much once I got my Praktica BX20 kit.

I think it was around 1978-1980 when I got mine, that and the Zorki 4 got used quite a bit, more the Zorki, even though I had my Zenith SLR at the time. I think it was these two cameras that set the rangefinder or at least style in my mind. It got a bit expensive in the late '80s though as I got a Leica with 35mm, 50mm and 135mm lenses from a camera shop in Sheffield. Oddly, I never got on with it and traded it in a few months later.

That was my first 35mm camera which I bought new in about 1974. As you say a great lump but a good camera. If I remember correctly, don't you have to wind the film on BEFORE setting the shutter speed?

You can edit your posts after you've posted them. I have a few times using the Tapatalk app.

That was my first 35mm camera which I bought new in about 1974. As you say a great lump but a good camera. If I remember correctly, don't you have to wind the film on BEFORE setting the shutter speed?

You do indeed have to wind on/tension shutter before setting the speed.

Nice camera comrade

In a moment of deja vu (for this thread) I seem to also have bought a Minolta kit to get hold of the 50mm lens included with it.

I picked up a Minolta SRT Super with MC Rokkor PG 50mm f1.4, MD Rokkor 28mm f3.5, Vivitar 80 - 205mm f3.8, generic flash, tripod and a super snazzy old school case. All for the princely sum of £30. The seller told me that it probably hadn't seen the light of day for at least 20 years. Fortunately the lenses are still nice and clean and everything seems to work alright, it's just a bit grubby.

I got a Minolta SRT-101 with the Rokkor PG 50/1.4 a couple of years ago for £4.99. I think I have the f2.8 version of the 28mm, that was about £15.

I got a Minolta SRT-101 with the Rokkor PG 50/1.4 a couple of years ago for £4.99. I think I have the f2.8 version of the 28mm, that was about £15.
And I thought that £30 was a good price if only for the lens. Ebay completed listings have been anywhere from £50 to upwards of £100 for the 50mm f1.4.

Has anyone bought from Mr Cad? They always seem to have an insane amount of stock on their site. If I search for "Hasselblad" I get 33 pages of bits to look at!

Has anyone bought from Mr Cad? They always seem to have an insane amount of stock on their site. If I search for "Hasselblad" I get 33 pages of bits to look at!
I've bought from them in the past, not the cheapest place to buy from but they do carry a lot of stock. They are open to a little haggling and as they're London based I've only ever bought in person so can't comment on their mail order service.

I've bought mail order - although the order was placed by telephone as I couldn't work out how much the postage would be. The goods (two LF lenses which appear in a post somewhere in this thread) arrived very quickly (next day, I think) securely packed.

As to prices - it must depend. When I was looking at the price of FP4 in 10x8, they were the cheapest I found. And haggling - well, when I appeared undecided, they threw in another item for me, so it must be worth a go.

Now, I'm thinking it's time I gave some of my Minoltas a run out again, and I've just loaded my Rolleiflex with XP2 Super and my AE-1 with Fuji Superia X-Tra 800.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Talk Photography Forums mobile app
I had slightly fallen out with my 35mm SLR's in favour of rangefinders but now I'm looking forward to getting out with my Minolta's again.

I've bought mail order - although the order was placed by telephone as I couldn't work out how much the postage would be. The goods (two LF lenses which appear in a post somewhere in this thread) arrived very quickly (next day, I think) securely packed.

As to prices - it must depend. When I was looking at the price of FP4 in 10x8, they were the cheapest I found. And haggling - well, when I appeared undecided, they threw in another item for me, so it must be worth a go.
They often have great deals on film, it's just being on the ball when they announce it, I got a good deal on a lot of Portra last year and some outdated Kodak Elite Chrome.

I've bought from them before, a Pentax LX that was faulty. I'd be wary of the working condition of stock, to be honest. I got a refund, but it was a shame the camera didn't work in the first place.

Cheers guys and gals :) I'm not planning on buying anything from them at the mo (I'm after an acute matte screen for the Hassie which they don't have), but every time I go on their site they have a shed load of stuff so I've always been curious what they're like!

Back